maybe you have what i need

Age: 39 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4967
/// sorry, but you just got in my way
i promise honey, i can feel your pain
Honestly, it’s for the best that the trek goes so smoothly. Likely because Asta doesn’t want to give Dantalion any insight into the way he’s so horribly confused about the state of the world. Torchline itself is warm, not as warm as the Climb, but it feels a little better in terms of being able to see people wander and mill about like little ants before they land.

And the second they do? The little blonde fucker’s nowhere to be seen.

Fine, fair enough. At least he knows where the MaVeRiCk will be when he’s finally ready to go and see the shithead.

For now, though, it gives Astaroth a reason to reorient himself – get some new clothes, get a shower, reverting back into the old version of himself while he comes to terms with everything new. So he’s managed such a thing – attaining a room in the city, getting a shower to get the blood and ash and dirt from his long hair, streaking it back so that it rounds out around his horns the way he always preferred it to, and tried to get his clothes somewhat cleaner.

But gods, they’re dated. So it’s his first step when he leaves. His figure cuts a tall and thin line through the crowds as he peruses the merchant shops for a new set, something that likely was hard to find in Torchline, but Astaroth is fairly certain he could find something appealing. And it’s where he hovers by a deliciously maroon coat, cut with gilded buttons and tails that has him lingering, dark eyes taking it in as he debates internally.
Astaroth
and maybe i enjoy it just a little bit
does that make me insane? ///
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3601
we're always running scared but holding knives
Isla is shopping, too.

Granted, it isn't for anything so luxurious, but given that she's officially put down roots in Torchline now, has a working clinic and an actual apartment above it, it's about time her wardrobe got something of an upgrade. Nevertheless, she's just come from a shift at said clinic, her hair pinned back out of her face and her attire sensible (read: she could do surgery in it), which makes her choice of garments all the more jarring.

Holding up a dress fashioned mostly out of lace and admiring its halter neck and flowing skirts, she seeks out a mirror in the stall to hold it up against her figure. And even though she's confident in what she likes and how things fall on her body, still, there's nothing quite like a second opinion. This is the sort of thing she ought to have tried to drag Remi along to, she thinks, or perhaps she should have even invited Flora. Then again, her friend is a Queen these days - more important things take precedent.
Isla

Age: 39 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
His debating doesn’t last too long, at least. Not when he plucks it from the rack to see about how it might accentuate the fire obsidian of his horns, or how it might change the way his skin reflects against its deep and warm tones. Held delicately between his fingers, he approaches the mirror he’d spotted on his way in, only to find someone else standing in front of it. A fellow Ancient, by the look of it.

And gods is it nice to see them out in the world these days.

The smile that spreads across his face is gentle and charming, stepping up with the coat still held gently between his hands, inclining his head toward her. “That is quite a lovely dress, my dear.” He pauses, giving her a moment to realize that he’s talking to her, smile remaining and appearing entirely unflappable in the meantime before he adds. “Especially for this tropical climate.Especially for the Ancients that live here. An unsaid addition but one he’s sure she’ll get when she spies the pronged horns sweeping from his temples.
Astaroth
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Still trying to decide this way or that on her selection, it's with a furrowed brow that Isla hears a voice from over her shoulder, and she glances around - and up - to spot a fellow Ancient. "You think so?" She sighs, tilting her head and glancing back to her reflection. "I was wondering whether it might be too much. Torchline doesn't have much cause to celebrate, these days." But then again, gods, perhaps that's just a reason to arrange a party.

Regardless, she realises she's in the way of the mirror and steps aside, gesturing for him to go ahead with her tail flicking gently at her heels. "You don't see many people buying coats," she remarks of his own garment. "Are you just passing through?" It's an assumption to be sure - but then again, if anyone in Torchline would relish the extra heat, it would be an Ancient.
Isla

Change author:
With her acceptance, looking back to her reflection, Astaroth approaches now to peer over her shoulder in the reflection, the smile remaining while he shrugs lightly and gives her a sidelong glance. “There’s always something to celebrate.” He pauses – because while he doesn’t know the full story, Danta had given him a run down so he can have some idea at least. “Sometimes, simply being alive is enough.” Maybe that’s what she needed to hear, maybe not. Astaroth tends to not think too deeply into it.

Especially as she acknowledges the coat in his hands, and he holds it up with a contemplative hum. “Mm, that is the intention.” He admits, flashing her another smile. “Eventually I’m aiming for the Hollowed Grounds. Alas, I just woke up after some time of being away and I’ve found my attire is a bit… Lacking.” He murmurs, lifting it to his chest to see what it might look like and to give her an option to give input just as well. “I thought this pop of color might be a nice touch.
Astaroth
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
He's in luck - today, it's the exact sort of thing worth hearing, and Isla feels her shoulders relax and a smile touch to her lips. "When you put it that way, there's really no reason not to," she admits with a chuckle. "Thank you." Carefully folding the dress over her arm, Isla commits to indulging in the purchase. Perhaps she'll even make up an occasion to wear it in the next couple of days.

As for his own story, her eyebrows raise to hear that he's an old-new-arrival from the Climb, and her smile grows further. "Welcome back," she says. "It must have been a bit of a shock, all this." She nods out to Haulani, half afloat in the sky, and the veins of purple marring the horizon where Starfall lurks out in the waves.

"Why don't you try it on?" she suggests of the coat, putting her selection down and holding out her hands as if to offer to help him into it.
Isla

Change author:
You’re very welcome, darling.” Astaroth flashes her a brighter smile, before he starts to show his own little story – not the whole of it, of course, what fun would it be if he let all the layers be seen? Tidbits to drive the mind were far more what he was after in this conversation – unlike with Dantalion, given the fact that the other man knew him from many years past. Here, he’s a stranger, and it’s far easier to leave little bits and pieces of himself for others to pick up and figure out on their own.

His head inclines toward her with a nod, a laugh leaving him that’s got a soft tone to it. “It has been. Skyships are quite an innovation.” And frankly fucking weird, but he keeps that locked behind his sharp teeth. As for trying it on, he tilts his dark gaze back toward it, contemplating before he nods – only hesitating because of the dried debris on his current longsleeve, billowed shirt. He supposes if he does intend to purchase it, it won’t matter in the long run.

So he hands the jacket to her, bending just a bit to make it easier for her to help him into it, and when she does he pulls it forward by the collar – shoulders immediately relaxing like it’s a silent comfort to be back in something that’s more like him than the messy alternative. He turns to her with a sharp yet friendly grin (maybe a bit too sharp), arms spreading as if to give her the full view as a gentleman might. “What do you think?
Astaroth
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"They really are. Previously there were portals, believe it or not, but that all went away when the Voice did." Even for Isla, normally careful not to overwhelm, some things were far too ingrained in her own personal history to be fully aware of them. Upgrades, portals and the other innovations from the Voice are all such things, alas. But there's a coat to try on, and she helps him into it as any noble lady might, stepping back to admire the cut and fit.

"You know," she says, "I think it suits you very well. I was unsure, given how tall you are, but it almost seems made for you." Smiling sunnily now, she glances to the racks and points out a selection of dark shirts he might also want to pair with it.

"Between you and me," she says, "if you're headed for the Grounds, you might want to consider Stormbreak before you set sail." Nodding up and up and up, the floating city is just visible through the clouds today. "The shopping district is second to none. I'm Isla, by the way. It's nice to meet you."
Isla

Change author:
His smile doesn’t falter, but there is a brief look in his gaze that seems to suggest The what voice?, but he imagines he can continue that conversation later as he slips into the jacket with her help. Turning to face her and inviting her opinion, his smile turns a bit toothier, sharp in the face of her sunniness that he takes with complete ease. “Haha, yes. I prefer to think of it as having more surface area to work with.” He offers the jest easily, humming a quiet little laugh afterwards before he drifts toward the rack of shirts, flicking through them.

Stormbreak…” He muses, letting the name roll off of his tongue as he contemplates it, nodding decisively – at least, if it meant finding more clothes to fill his closet, perhaps it would be worth it. At the invitation of her name, though, he plucks a shirt from the rack and returns to her, extending his hand for her own. “Astaroth. The pleasure is mine.” He fully intends to take her hand in a little bow of their introductions, falling back on old habits. “Say, do you happen to have plans for the afternoon? I imagine I could learn quite a lot from you if you're available.
Astaroth
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"That's certainly one way to look at it," Isla agrees with an easy laugh, letting him peruse the shirts and finding a few other pieces she's happy to take with the lacy number - a casual sundress, an airy shawl, some new sandals. "Mmhm - it only takes about half a day to get there by skyship," she continues of Stormbreak. "It can be colder up there, though, so be careful." The warning comes naturally, both as an Ancient and as a physician.

Glancing back from the floating city in time to find her hand taken, of course Isla is charmed by the gesture - you can take the girl out of the duchess and all that. "You're in luck, actually. I just ended my shift - I'm a doctor at the medical clinic here, so providing there are no imminent emergencies, I'm done for the day."
Isla

Change author:
Well, I’ll already have my jacket prepared, mm?” He teases her lightly with the thought, but he does make a mental note. So long as he doesn’t turn to stone, he supposes he can deal with it. Because at the very least, the Maverick had known how to wake him up. He doesn’t know about the strangers in the floating city, a fact that he’s still trying to come to grips with.

Either way, he takes her hand and bows, drawing back up to his full height as a soft little gasp leaves him and he gives her hand a light squeeze. “A doctor?” The grin grows wider. “That’s wonderful.” There’s a slight gleam of whether or not the fact she works on people is the reason he’s so enamored, or the fact that its pretty much the one occupation someone can have who has food preferences as he does.

But never the less, he releases her hand to step over and collect the last few things for his new attire – a new set of dark boots and a set of dark pants, returning to her side to gesture for her to lead the way toward where they could make their purchases. “I’ve been told recently that it has been centuries since I’ve been aware of, well, anything.” He makes the small talk easy, at least for him. “So I am unfamiliar with this… Voice you had mentioned previously. And with it, the portals.
Astaroth
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"Yes, at least there's that," Isla agrees good-naturedly, smiling and waiting for him to select the last additions to his new outfit, before leading them to where the (very pleased) merchant is ready for them. Isla makes her purchases and stands aside for Astaroth to do the same, pink cheeked and pleased, as always, to hear someone approving of her profession. (If only she knew why in this case, though).

"Mm, it's been... well, a lot has happened," she says, somewhat hesitant given that she's unsure if he's aware just how long it has been. "Would you like to head back to the clinic with me? My apartment is above it, and you can change out of those clothes, if you like." Too polite to make any mention of the state of his outfit, she's nonetheless aware that he's just crawled out of the Climb, and he looks the part.

If it suits him, she'll regale the story of the Voice en route back to the medical clinic - the second war, the Hollowed Grounds and its barrier, the Ascended and so on. "I'm not sure when the Ancients went under, exactly, but from what I've heard, it was far before the Voice was even around."
Isla

Change author:
The checkout goes smoothly – even with the addition of one last trinket to the mix – a cane of sorts – blackened wood, sealed beautifully with golden accents. Not that he particularly needs it, but he does miss having something akin to an extension of his arms, especially one as ambiguous as possible. So he starts to pay and listens as she speaks. “I would love nothing more.” He assures her with a bright grin, finishing up quickly so that they can get started on the way there.

He lets her guide him, cane clicking against the ground with each step, humming along as she regales him with the stories of so many things that he finds his mind a bit squirrely with everything that’s happened. “Gods. Yes, her description doesn’t raise any flags of recognition, even as an Acquired.” He muses, shrugging lightly, but there’s still a hint of a puzzled look on his face as he contemplates it. “Everything was so different back then. The Climb, for one, was full of so many of us. You could hardly look somewhere without there being more.” He grows a touch nostalgic, whimsical in his tone as he contemplates it, before he shakes his head and reaches up to tuck a rogue dark piece of hair back from his face.
Astaroth
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
The term Acquired, while being one that Isla knows distantly, is still enough to have her head tilting, and she smiles softly to hear his description of The Climb and the world he's stepped out from. "It must be difficult, to just suddenly be here like this," she remarks. The clinic comes into view soon enough, its sign squeaking softly in the breeze, and the Remedy leads them up the small set of steps to the side of the building to her apartment.

"There are quite a few Ancients around now, though, that I've seen. Granted, a lot of them were former Ascended, myself included..." And of course that opens the door to the tale about how Dygra was reawoken and how the Voice actually ceased to be, and so Isla tries to give him the most gentle version of that while she lets them into her space. Quiet, airy and (naturally) filled with books and the sorts of creature comforts that befit a woman without much time to really indulge in them, Isla gestures for Astaroth to make himself at home.

"It's been a few years since then," she concludes softly. "I suppose there must be so many Ancients still out there, though, in stasis."
Isla