The Nurse and the Midwife
For Bart
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
and still she bloomed
Phoebe was not a hard woman to find. So long as you knew how to find the Sidhe Village. Which meant either taking a skyboat or walking in circles in the Greatwood for awhile. But she was making her mark on the place, and by now most residents knew the tall, blonde, willowy woman. On this particular day she wasn't doing anything in particular. A rarity really, always a busy bee. But even she needed rest sometimes.

So the demigoddess sat on her porch in a barely there dress to fight off the heat, a glass of fresh lemonade in her hand. Did she look every inch refreshed despite the oppressive heat? Yes. Perks of her glamour magic. She watched quietly as people went about their business, sipping her drink here and there. The Greatwood might not be the most glamourous place to live, but it was tranquil.

That was when someone approached her stoop. She leaned forward and smiled. "Hello. Is there something I can help you with?"
Phoebe
in the way she was meant to

Code blatantly stolen from the fantastical, wonderful Odd
Nurse

Age: 37 | Height: 6’1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

I need to take you in real slow
Dying on your lips is how I wanna go
It's fucking hot.

Bart has traveled all this way for one reason and one reason only, and the heat is making it difficult to focus on that end goal when all he wanted to do when flying in on the skyboat was throw himself overboard into the Stonesong for a bit of relief.

Once he's actually in Sidhe Village it's easy to have people supply him with information. Armed with a name and some directions, Bart grumbles as he removes his shirt and shoves it into his bag, finely muscled form gleaming bronze under the dappled sunlight. He doesn't care who sees him or what they think of him, never one to be body shy. If he doesn't do this he'll sweat to death so it barely even crosses his mind.

It does cross his mind once he finally reaches the stoop he was directed to, because the woman on the porch is gorgeous and doesn't look like she's sweating at all. He grapples between jealousy and admiration as she leans forward to greet him, and tries to summon his sparse manners considering what he is going to ask her. "Hey, you Phoebe? I'm Bart." He mounts the stairs to present her a hand to shake if she's the type. "I'm a nurse in the Grounds. I've been lookin' for ya."
So kiss me, you animal
And never let me go
Bart
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
and still she bloomed
Well he was a blunt fellow, wasn't he? "Indeed, I am." she said, not seeming to notice his lack of shirt. When you saw a god naked on a regular basis, it was hard to recognize when a mortal went around half dressed. Gods did that, you know? She shook his hand, firm but not overbearing. She wasn't going to dominate but she wasn't going to be walked over either. "It's good to meet you Bart." she said.

At his announcement of profession and where he was from she mouthed an 'oh', and sat back in her seat. This should be interesting. She crossed her legs and gestured for him to take a seat in the shade. "Lemonade?" she offered. But he was here for business, so she got down to it. "Is this about the medical college I used to run there?" she said with a raised brow.
Phoebe

Nurse

Age: 37 | Height: 6’1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Perfect, that means no further stomping around in the heat trying to find the person he needs. The trees overhead provide adequate shade, but it's frankly not enough in his opinion. He doesn't necessarily read into her handshake given he is rather solitary-minded, but her well-mannered greetings are at least met with a short bob of his head in return.

He is more than willing to stand on the steps to talk to her, but at her invitation he slides into the other chair with a muttered 'thank you' for the lemonade that he gratefully takes and begins to sip. Admittedly he has considered reopening the college, but the Grounds had moved on to more of a clinic style with Isla's presence, so either of them are viable. He just doesn't think he has enough manpower with only himself to run the college.

"Sorta," he murmurs. "I'm a nurse, and I'm openin' something. The College is pretty damn big though, and the clinic in the Temple was run by an Ascended so there's mixed feelin' about that." Taking another sip of the lemonade he clears his throat and sets it down, leaning forward over his thighs. "But I've got a pregnant mom I'm tendin' to. Only thing is she's pregnant with triplets and I've only midwifed for twins so that's really why I'm here." He has helped plenty of women give birth but triplets and further are always tough and touch-and-go regardless of experience.
So kiss me, you animal
And never let me go
Bart
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
and still she bloomed
Phoebe graciously poured him some lemonade and let him take a few sips in silence. It was dreadfully hot outside, but hopefully the shade and drink would do him good. She smiled wryly, tapping her foot in the air. "Yes well, when I do things, I do them big." she said with a light laugh. The College had been big. The Halenani had been big. And now taking on the Greatwood? Talk about big! "Maybe a medical guild would be a happy medium. Then you could draw on knowledge from all the lands." she said. "Maybe even have an outpost for healers in each land." There she went, thinking big again.

But he was apparently here about an expecting mother. Of triplets no less! It was rare but she had seen such multiple births before. "That's a high risk pregnancy." she said in seriousness. "Can she travel? If so I would send her to Stormbreak to give birth. They are the most medically advanced of the lands." she said. The woman stood the best of chances there. But there were also many barriers to such travel. "Otherwise I will need to know more about your patient in order to advise."
Phoebe

Nurse

Change author:

Big, huh? Bart can tell, because her next idea is equally big, making him grimace into the lip of his glass. "I mean...maybe. I ain't real palatable outside of my bed manner." If he wasn't trying to be on his best behavior to recruit her help he'd word it far more crudely, something like: I hate most people and I'm a self-proclaimed asshole, so that sounds like a terrible idea. He wasn't always this rough around the edges in his homeworld, but Caido has a way of bringing out the worst in everyone and he is no exception.

At least the current medical case seems to distract her. Bart doesn't mind talking to her, but he doesn't want to be forced to reveal he's a dick early on and have her rescind her offer of aid.

"She can, an' I've been urgin' her. She's reluctant, but I think I can make it happen." Understandably she wanted the babies born in the Grounds, but the sentiment was useless if it meant she or one of the babies died. "Problem is keepin' her stable for the flight over. She's got preeclampsia." If that doesn't make it clear he's a modern Outlander nothing else will. "High blood pressure, swollen extremities, and she's got trouble seein' now. We need her on a skyboat, but it'll make her anxiety spike, could worsen the symptoms. I don't want it to induce her." And he doesn't have the facilities yet to concoct an anti-anxiety that will be safe for her to take while pregnant. Such was the need to reopen a clinic as soon as possible, but time was not on his side for this particular case.
So kiss me, you animal
And never let me go
Bart
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
and still she bloomed
"No?" she said, then laughed lightly. "You seem palatable enough to me. Or is that just because you need my help?" she said with a smirk. He didn't seem any rougher than the average Torchline sailor, and she had dealt with many of those. Especially drunk ones. But someone who could at least admit to being rough around the edges couldn't be that bad. At least they wouldn't be insulted if you called them out on it.

But as he described the case further, she frowned. This was a very sensitive case. She set her glass down and stood, gesturing for him to follow. The Nightingale went inside with gracefully soft steps, going to a cupboard. Inside was a pleathora of healing herbs and solutions. Taking out a few and a mortar and pestle, she set to work. "My techniques are not as... medically advanced as some worlds." she said. "But they are effective."

Then she fell silent, working methodically. She clearly had skill, working quickly and deftly. After some time, she presented him with a group of color codes tea bags and tonic bottles. "This will help with blood pressure and anxiety. It might make her sleepy in fact. It should be good for the skyboat ride. This will help with the swelling and make her more comfortable. This will help with her vision, but that may not fully clear until after she delivers. This will induce her in case of an emergency. And this will keep her immobile for a time should you need to cut the children out." she said, pointing to each one. "She should begin praying to Frey for a safe delivery. Peaches are best as an offering but any fruit will do. And if you need me to come and assist you need only ask." she said with a depth of feeling that indicated she truly cared about the safety of his patient.
Phoebe

Nurse

Change author:

Bart chuckles alongside her, though it's a bit more sheepish and rueful. "Yeah, probably. Can't be a dick if it means my patient's gonna suffer." Not that Phoebe hasn't been perfectly sweet, but Bart has never let sweetness dissuade him from shoving near everyone to arm's length preemptively with his barbed tongue and sour comments.

Standing and following in her wake a bit dumbfounded and uncomfortable at entering her house moments after meeting her, Bart keeps his distance and merely enjoys the way the temperature dips the moment he crosses the threshold. "Old ways made the path for new shit, and I ain't got the medicine I'm used to anyway. Been revisitin' my old lessons on naturopathy lately, so y'ain't gonna get judgement from me." All the same ingredients in the world - magic shit aside - were still in play, so it didn't matter to Bart what form they took.

He stands and waits, hands in his pockets, until she returns with her selection of items. Listens intently as she describes each one, sharp eyes memorizing appearances and uses. If he were a different, more misogynistic man maybe he would make her explain them or give their ingredients but if he didn't trust her work he wouldn't have come in the first place so he merely takes them gently. "If I do, it'll be from Stormbreak, much as I hate that damn place," he grumbles. "Which is a pain in the ass cuz the Grounds are closer to the Greatwood. I'll try'n give ya enough forewarning to get on a boat." Utterly unaware of the various abilities and resources at hand that could get her there any faster.

Clearing his throat slightly, he gestures with one of the bottles. "Thanks for these. What can I trade ya?" Care for his patient or not, he wouldn't be taking these for free. It wouldn't sit well with him.
So kiss me, you animal
And never let me go
Bart
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
and still she bloomed
Phoebe laughed at his description of his attitude. "But you're a dick to everyone else then? Well hopefully you can move past that with me given our budding business partnership." she said with a grin. They were working together quite pleasantly after all, why ruin it with a bad attitude?

"I'm glad to hear it. Not everyone thinks the same way." she said with a wry smile. Those with more advanced knowledge or technologies often looked down on the way she did things. That he didn't seem to think the same way was refreshing.

He studied the remedies closely, which gave Phoebe a sense of relief. He would know when and how to use these properly, she was confident in that. "I can also teleport so don't worry too much about me missing a skyboat." she said with a smile. It would take her some time still, but she could get there.

The Nightingale picked up a bag near her work station and held it out so he could fill it with the medicines. It would be much easier to carry that way. "Trade? Maybe an IOU but really I am just happy to help." she said with a smile. "The Greatwood is in need of a lot of work. We could always use a helping hand." she said.
Phoebe

Nurse

Change author:

Past it? It would be a miracle. Bart isn't even sure he's capable of that given the only person he'd ever let in was Nate. "I'll give it my best go," is all he can promise, the gamely smile he tries for falling a bit flat with the shadow of a grimace behind it, already aware he's likely going to disappoint her.

"Well then the rest of 'em can fuck off and find a different doctor, eh?" Not that he thinks either of them would turn someone like that away if they truly needed the help, but anyone with sniffles and a high horse could certainly take themselves to a different clinic with that attitude.

Teleportation makes both eyebrows rise, not so much disbelieving as impressed and perhaps curious. Then again, it's not like he knows much about the magic of this world given he'd arrived, hung out with two very different demigods, had one of them die, and then retreated into a two-year-long solitude. So he just nods.

The extra addition of a bag is almost too much, especially when she deems it all to fall under an IOU. "Well...I mean I'm pretty good at buildin' stuff if you need. Clearly, you've got the rest figured out." The healing, leading, being nice bits. "But uh, just call on me when you need anythin' I guess?" Taking the bag and the bottles, he stands awkwardly in her house, wanting to ensure she knows he's serious before even contemplating departing.
So kiss me, you animal
And never let me go
Bart
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
and still she bloomed
Phoebe smiled back at him. "That's all anyone can ask for - your best try." she said. He had already made clear that he was rough around the edges, so her bar for his behavior was pretty low. Though she would snap back if he went too far - she still had standards.

She laughed at his words and shrugged a bit. "I suppose they can. Thankfully I don't get many of them knocking on my door." she said as she placed the tonics and teas into the bag. There. That would be much easier for him to carry.

At the look on his face when she mentioned teleportation, she grinned. "I'm a demigoddess of Frey." she said by way of explanation. It was well known that the demigods had special and unique powers. Teleportation just happened to be one of hers.

"I will be sure to call on you for help. The Greatwood needs all it can get." she said with a small smile. "But you have a patient to attend to, don't you?" she said, sensing his awkwardness and giving him an out.
Phoebe