Speak until you’re heard
Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9747
Jude
Jude knows the bird will outfly him by a few days at least, so he heads out as soon as the letter leaves his hands. He isn’t sure he speaks to a single person the entire journey from Torchline to the Grounds. The words he wants to say, the thoughts that buzz in his head, feel like hornets slowly stinging him to death.

Those hornets usher him off the boat and into the Inner Quarter, only stopping to verify his directions. The only time he visits the Grounds is to see their mother, and this is his first time seeing where his brother has moved since changing citizenship.

He arrives like a stormcloud, expression dark and sleepless as he stands outside the front door, knocking sharply and listening - desperately - for any sound of life and movement within.
started getting what I want, but all of it feels brand new
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2935
Edmund hears the knock and swiftly gets on his feet. He knows that knock, and he's missed his brother dearly. He opens the door and takes in his little brother's expression, instantly picking up on the tangled emotions present. He opens the door wider and ushers Jude in and away from prying eyes.

The moment that the door is closed, Edmund turns and holds his arms out with a questioning look. If Jude wants a hug, he's happy to provide, but the Ancient doesn't want to push his little brother if Jude doesn't want the contact right now. "Hi, little brother. I've missed you." The words are soft and quiet so as not to grate on jagged emotions.

Edmund
Come dance in the shadows

Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jude
Jude knows he walks through the open door, but it feels like a stumble with how numb his legs feel. A peculiar sensation because he moves as if unimpeded but he is certain he's piloting his body from above at this moment in time. The closing of the door is a distant sound, but Edmund is here, present and real.

The open arms are all he needs, because even the cold and jagged pieces in Jude hold no anger toward his brother. He falls into him, arms winding around and gripping tightly to the back of Edmund's shirt like a lifeline. Edmund smells different ever since he became Ancient; more brimstone and ember in the undertones, but above that he still smells the same way he always did, when Jude was barely big enough to shoulder his backpack and his knees were perpetually skinned. Edmund is family and sunlit days and safety, and Jude's eyes swim so hot and fast that between one blink and the next he is dirtying Edmund's shirt with his tears.

"Missed you too," he murmurs, because the sobs don't come even when the tears do. "Dad finally came to see me," he reveals immediately, because it's the only explanation he needs for his current state after the man had disappeared and abandoned his crown and station to boot. "Couldn't - didn't know what to do. I'm so angry," he chokes like the anger itself is smoke and it's brewing in his lungs, scalding up his throat and forcing more bitter tears from his eyes.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2935
"I missed you too." Edmund tightens his hold on his brother, one hand around his shoulders and the other cupping the back of his neck. As he feels tears soak his shirt, he wishes he was still taller than Jude so that he could fully tuck his little brother into his hold. He settles for resting his cheek against Jude's temple as he listens, his heart aching over his brother's pain.

The Ancient's brow furrows, taking a moment to consider his words. "I know. I'm sorry that he hurt you." Because that's exactly what Harper has done. Even if Edmund understands his pseudo-father's actions and his desire to leave Torchline and Safrin behind, he still hates that Jude had to suffer for it. "Harper made the best choice for him, but it's a horrible situation."

Edmund gives Jude an extra squeeze, "Tell me what you need, little brother. How can I help?" If he needs to hunt down Harper and have a long conversation, he will. If Jude wants to hide away from the world under his brother's watchful eye and do nothing but relax, it'll be done. Whatever he needs or wants, the Ancient will do all that is in his power to help.

Edmund
Come dance in the shadows

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
With the Hollowed Grounds’ alterations in landscape, some of the animals have grown a bit wilder. A bit bolder.

So while it may surprise some, and others not at all, a crow swoops down, snatching at clothing and bags with sharp, irritating, and annoying talons. Maybe you just lost a piece of bread, or a valuable keepsake!

Whoops. Best go try to get it back!

Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Jude
Height is no matter; the power of making Jude feel safe is entirely in Edmund's arms, and he isn't intent on leaving them any time soon. It's the first time anyone has ever apologized for Jude's suffering instead of on Harper's behalf, and he slumps further into Edmund's hold like some invisible string has finally been cut now that he's heard it from someone else's lips. He knows Edmund and Harper aren't as close given his father had come into the Ansel's lives after Edmund was older, but for a moment he envies Edmund that distance, and for making it out of the worst of the drama unscathed. They may stand at the same height and age these days, but Edmund still feels so far ahead of him. More mature, more composed, more untouchable. But it shouldn't surprise him. Edmund is eternally his big brother and a figure to idolize and strive to emulate. Falling short of the bar his brother sets is just part of the equation.

Envy bleeds away into a pitiful mush when faced with what he needs. Lifting his head, Jude turns redrimmed eyes onto his elder, appearing far younger with how lost his expression is. "I don't know," he admits, as if marveling at it. "I don't - I don't know if I should forgive him? I don't know if I should stay, or move, or what I'm doing." He's just been surviving one day after another. And if his lip wobbles, it's with shame as his eyes drop away from Edmund's. "I've been so angry. At everyone. And drinking and fighting and crying isn't helping." The only thing that had was the Dreamless that Paige had given him, but Jude is too scared of growing addicted to dabble too heavily in the darker side of what Torchline has to offer. "I feel like an idiot trying to play at being an adult," he confesses, tone whisper-quiet like the walls themselves could possibly hear and judge him for his inadequacies.