Only a cat with a different coat
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 24 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1847
Maea
And time it waits for no one
It heals them when you die
Being recognized by a complete stranger in a foreign city was not something she had ever experienced before. The way her head came up was equally startled and wary, and if she hadn't exactly been on guard against him before, she certainly was now. Even when he continued to explain how he knew her - ah of course, Hadama again - she still felt unsettled. Like someone had peeked into her window while she thought herself alone.

"Yes... that would be me. Who is this friend of yours?" Because while she thought she knew, Maea wanted to hear it confirmed. This was Stormbreak, after all, where the Family had seized control; how was she to know this wasn't some ruse to get rid of someone who had dared to challenge Dahlia, no matter how briefly?

The cat was of no consequence in comparison. Indifferent, the short, thinly built woman merely shrugged that she didn't mind them - its purring did not distract her for one moment from the real problem at hand.
And soon you are forgotten
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Zavien Alexander

Age: 27 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Dew Offline
Change author:
MP: 560
Zavien
I think all things,
in their way,
He wasn't necessarily surprised by the woman's guarded response. It was difficult to know who to trust these days, however, he had attempted to help her (even if she didn't need it). Didn't that count for something? If not, how was he supposed to earn Maea's trust? Because, at this point, he was determined to prove that he wasn't an enemy.

Nonetheless, Zavien took a moment to consider how much he should divulge. They weren't standing before Dahlia herself or a crowd of people who may report them to her. In fact, they were in an alley with no one else in sight. However... he didn't want to appear ignorant of the danger regarding their predicament. With all this in mind, he scanned the dark pathways for anything suspicious before turning back to her. "Hadama. We met a little while ago and found that we had... similar goals. He agreed that we should keep in touch and that you may be willing to assist." His words were vague at best, but he hoped she would understand his thinly veiled meanings. Tilting his head, he asked, "Was he correct?"

Maea's indifference to the adorable kitten had Zavien's eyes narrowing further. Now he was doubting whether he should trust her. People who didn't like animals often had potent darkness in their souls. At least that's what his mother used to jest.
reflect heavenly truth,
the imagination not least.
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
As she suspected, the dots connected and pointed an accusatory finger at Safrin's newest demigod, the Tidebreaker, king of the Mer and Torchline, et cetera. At this particular moment she wished Hadama had left her out of whatever schemes they had discussed. Given her very recent run in with the Family, and all the subsequent accusations thrown at her from people she had considered to be allies, the last thing Maea wanted was to discuss more of the same thing. Especially not with someone she didn't know.

His question hovered unanswered during the long moment where she contemplated lying, just so she could leave. Her temples pounded with the beginnings of a headache and a long, quiet sigh seeped from her lips.

"In so far as getting my name and proffession right, he was correct," she murmured. "As for assistance... that depends entirely on what you have in mind." Because apparently she was a reckless, selfish martyr with a hero complex who would get herself and everyone else around her killed. So she should probably make sure he was ready and willing to die by association before saying anything more.

Given his willingness to take a beating for a random stranger, so far it was looking good.
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Zavien Alexander

Age: 27 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Zavien
I think all things,
in their way,
Zavien was puzzled by the woman's response. If she knew Hadama and he'd recommended her, where was the miscommunication? Had her priorities changed? Was Hadama wrong about her? Overall, it felt as if he was trying to convince her to help him when he was the one that got roped into this to begin with. If he wanted to, he could easily forget the entire arrangement and continue with the other Breakers. He could even choose a different method of sharing information. But Hadama had mentioned her first for a reason. Was this a test?

Giving the kitten one final scratch, he set it down with a parting smile before straightening and placing he hands in his pockets. His eyes scanned Maea closely, trying to analyze how to proceed. Clearing his throat, he chuckled lightly, "Other than the occasional meeting to pass on information? Nothing on your part." All the risk was on him after all. Unless, of course, the Family found anyone guilty by association. Then he supposed they may blame her too. So he shrugged his shoulders, not wanting to force anyone into anything they weren't willing to do. If she didn't want to help, that was her prerogative and he said as much. "But if that's too much, I completely understand. This fight isn't for everyone." It was the closest he was willing to admit out loud about the situation, but it was necessary. Some people weren't willing to risk the sacrifice that may come with standing against the invasion. That's why he was willing to take up the mantle. Whether they were too scared or too weak, he wanted to help protect them. Their lives were worth just as much either way. Zavien just needed to know whether Maea shared his view or not.
reflect heavenly truth,
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Change author:
Maea
If she had known how similar their line of thought was, Maea would have laughed out loud. But they only talked past each other, like ships blowing fog horns at each other in the night, and she experienced a prick of relief that there wouldn't be some immediate demand on her taking action. The reaction to her last attempt had been swift and harsh, and she was not so self-confident that she could simply shrug it off.

"It's not 'too much'," she replied, bristling at the implication that she was hesitating to do her part. "Just don't blame me if it gets dangerous. You're responsible for your own life, I want that perfectly clear." In her mind, the only defence was offence - whether that was reckless was or necessary was moot and uninteresting.
A whisper within a sigh
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Zavien
I think all things,
in their way,
Maea continued to confuse him. If she was willing to help, why was she making it so difficult? And why did she seem to think that he wasn't prepared for the risks? Did she feel responsible for him? Was she worried that he didn't know what the cost may be?

Zavien softened his perplexed expression to one of comfort. In a quiet, accepting tone, he said, "I knew the risks when I agreed to the arrangement. No one is safe. Danger will find me one day, whether I act or not. I may as well do something impactful." Cocking his head like a concerned puppy, he gave a sad smile. "I have my reasons for taking the risk. Do you?" He didn't need her to spill her guts or trust him with her life. As long as he knew that she was willing to help, regardless of the danger, he would believe in her and their cause.
reflect heavenly truth,