listening to the birds
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 30 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2830
Hear those bells ring deep in the soul
Chiming away for a moment
Koa makes no effort to hide his disgust, sneering at the recital of Dahlia's excuses and threats. "Stormbreak is great," the Dragoon counters automatically, reginal pride leaving no room  for doubt in his mind or voice. What improvement could the Reaper possibly hope to make? And if she was so eager to 'improve' things, where was the evidence? Koa'd smelled a lot of shit during his time in the swamp, and if this wasn't more of it he'd eat his hat.

That Hadama had asked Zavien to keep him in formed might set of warning bells for someone else, but Koa merely nods. "He's trustworthy. I've told him about... about Soh." At least, he thinks the Mer-king can be trusted, though these days? Koa bites anxiously at the inside of his lip. He's unaccustomed to having to worry about such things, being an expert at taking people at face value. But if Everest and maybe Anju could be turned, who's to say who else?

There isn't room for thoughts like this. Some people might see the recent occurrences as a good reason to mistrust everyone; not so Koa the Golden (retriever) Boy. Shaking his head as though to clear it, he pushes off the table edge. "Okay. So Hadama, Sunjata, Ronin, Remi... Flora." He taps a finger for each name, hesitating over the final one. "Someone needs to talk to Everest, and figure out what's going on. I can send him a letter," Koa self-volunteers, glancing between Lena and Zavien. "Even if he is on Team Dahlia, we've been friends for a long time. That's gotta count for something. And we should see about Mateo, too - if anyone can get through to Ever, it's him."
Koa Carpenter
Feel your breath course frankly below
And see life as a worthy opponent
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 21 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 20 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 5754
Lena
She took a moment to sip at her tea, delicately, while it was still warm. It gave her a second to be stoic in the middle of all this unrelenting information, or process the ongoings while she’d been tucking herself away in the Celestine. “I wonder if we could just…not participate,” in anything Dahlia intended to orchestrate, or if that was a means to an end.

Her eyes landed back upon Zavien as he mentioned Hadama, and then…some assemblage of spying for the Torchline king. She set the tea cup down firmly, and her mouth went into a thin line, regarding both Dragoons with an air of suspicion. “Certainly, but is he doing something in return for your efforts? Or just putting you in danger?” Because putting Zavien in a precarious situation, with no effort exalted from the Tidebreaker, made Lena very unsettled and concerned.

The list of potential allies seemed long, but the Caretaker was well aware that they were all also busy with their own regions. “I’m not sure how much good it will do,” she murmured, about Everest. “He seemed very in league with her, though I can’t fathom why. Mateo may be the best option.”
little more like coming home
Zavien Alexander

Age: 27 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 1 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Dew Online
Change author:
MP: 560
Zavien
There is some good in this world—
Zavien unconsciously mirrored Lena, taking a sip of his coffee. The action helped to disguise the grimace at her words. He wasn't one for doing nothing and he doubted the Family would just leave them alone. Giving voice to his concerns, he shook his head sadly, "I don't think that will work. That 'broadcast' - or whatever you call the creepy voice that popped in our heads - clearly stated that they couldn't wait for us to be 'part of the Family'." A tremor ran through his hand and he took another sip. "I don't know what that means, but they didn't make it sound like a choice. They made it sound..." His mind raced for the right term, but he almost whispered the chilling word that summed up all their fears, "...inevitable." He hated to think it could be true, yet the interactions and information thus far had not inspired much hope.

The confirmation from Koa that Hadama was trustworthy let his shoulders release comfortably until Lena's obvious disapproval was made. Running his hand through his hair nervously, he glanced fleetingly at her concern. "I...uh..." Swallowing to stop himself from apologizing, he strengthened his voice. He hadn't done anything to compromise Stormbreak or hurt their cause. It was his decision. "I agreed to keep him informed in exchange for knowledge of their plans. He wants to collaborate with the other leaders in order to combat the spread of infection and the threat of the Family." Sitting up straighter, he added, "I'm aware of the risks. He told me to keep my head low and not put myself in danger, but I don't think that's possible. If we are going to come out of this victorious, risks are necessary. I won't do anything foolish, but I won't sit back either." His resolve had shown through in the firm planting of his hands and gleam of determination in his eyes. Zavien may be weak, but he wouldn't let others defend his home for him. They were stronger together anyways.

Listening to the discussion around Everest, Zavien felt uncertainty rising. Koa may be sure about him, but Lena didn't seem to agree. If they were even slightly doubtful of someone's allegiance, he wasn't sure they should risk it. Although he felt that way, he didn't know the men. Maybe Everest had reasons for siding with Dahlia - even if he couldn't imagine what. However, it was also possible that he would share whatever they tell him with the only person they were trying to keep it from. Even asking him might risk her catching wind of their schemes (not that they were much at the moment).
— and it's worth fighting for.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
There's a reason Lena is the one who has been in a cabinet, and her experience and maturity show. Where Koa is full of piss and vinegar and Zavien's bright with naive trust, the Caretaker brings a level head, making both young men think. Because she's right: Hadama may seem to be an ally, but at the end of the day his allegiance and loyalty lie with Torchlight. It wasn't his Heart who was stolen from him. At the end of the day, the only ones they can trust to protect Stormbreak are themselves.

And with Everest compromised, maybe even that's asking too much.

Having finally picked up one of Lena's pastries, Koa scarfs it down, leaving only a napkin. Thoughtlessly he begins tearing off pieces of it, worrying the paper between anxious, jittery fingers. "We're all in danger," he mutters in dark agreement with Zavien, flashing the other Dragoon an approving look. To Lena, he agrees: "Okay. No Ever yet. We'll start with Mateo - there's no way he'd flip to Dahlia's side, not after what she did to his dad." The memory of Remi's thorough defeat is a sobering one indeed, a blood-splattered portrait of exactly what level of monster they're up against.

"What we need is a way to tell who's loyal. A lie detector, or something." He glances hopefully at Lena, as though she might have such a thing. "And to figure out how they got to Ever." Certainly not through the powers of seduction. Probably a well-researched slideshow. One with uniform font choices. And no slide transitions. And citations.
Koa Carpenter
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
Lena hadn’t known what ‘part of the family’ meant then, and she still remained ignorant now. Instead, her brows knitted together in a polite and regal formation, as if she were contemplating rather than striving to forge off irritation. “If we knew how they’re doing it, there could be way of prevention.” Or who, or where, or why they were being infiltrated and infected. The purple hues surrounding expanses and animals were one thing, but she’d yet to see a person in such distinctions.

Drumming her fingers lightly against her teacup again, mostly to keep herself occupied, her brow arched at Zavien’s proclamation of shared information. “Knowledge of who’s plans? Torchline’s?” As far as she knew, they’d already enacted one barrier, and with their proximity to Starfall, it was an understandable feat. But the justifications seemed limited to Stormbreak’s end, because comprehension of ongoing outlines were one thing, but if they had no need of them…

Maybe she was misunderstanding things. “Still doesn’t seem like a fair balance to me.” It’d be Zavien’s choice in the long run, but it still rankled her edges to think Hadama was willing to put someone on such a path, and it made her consider the once quiet chef in a new light; and not one she particularly liked.

The Caretaker didn’t have a lie detector, but there were always other ways of acquiring such things. “One of us could ask something like that from the gods. And maybe we should wait on luring Ever before we know anything else – like if Mateo can figure something out.” Then they could snag an appropriate lure, and maybe not be in so much peril or suspicion. “We have to tread lightly here,” in Stormbreak, at least.
Zavien Alexander

Age: 27 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Zavien
Zavien couldn't argue with Lena's words and simply nodded his head in agreement. They didn't have enough information. Not about the Family. Not about the Void. Not even about their friends. Were the effects of whatever it was even reversible? How were they supposed to stop something they didn't understand? And how were they supposed to cure their ignorance? His mind was overwhelmed by the whirlwind of thoughts and he ran his hands along the warm exterior of his mug for comfort.

Attempting to understand Lena's reluctance to Hadama's offer, he paused. Perhaps she had some valid points about an exchange of equal value. Willing to acknowledge that the arrangement could be improved upon, Zavien dipped his head in recognition. "He's willing to share the planned strategies of the combined leaderships. That's what I asked for in order to ensure that the information wouldn't be misused. However, I'm willing to negotiate for more equitable terms. Do you have any suggestions?" If they could come to a consensus on a favorable reciprocity, he would bring it up during his first missive to Hadama.

The concept of a 'lie detecting' object was appealing, but Zavien wondered aloud, "Wouldn't it be more helpful to have a device that indicates when something or someone Void-infected is nearby? Or maybe it warns against things that pose a danger? It would be more discrete than having to ask direct questions. People can lie for various reasons and half-truths could be tricky." Despite his inquisitions, he appreciated the idea of being able to expose who may - or may not - be trustworthy. So he decided to volunteer his services. "Either way, I'm willing to ask. The gods haven't responded to me before, but I don't see how they could possibly refuse to answer a prayer that may help prevent the destruction of Caido." He made it sound loftier than it probably was, but Zavien knew that every inch of advantage they gained could change the tides in their favor. An idea popping into his head, he asked, "What if we all went to the shrine together? Would that help get their attention?"
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa listens in restless silence as Lena and Zavien debate, worrying at his lower lip. He doesn’t know what reciprocity to ask for, except, perhaps… “What about a seat at the table, when future meetings are held? For someone who represents Stormbreak’s interest to be invited- hell, I’ll go, though Lena would probably be the better choice.” He nods in deference to the Caretaker. If she wishes the task he’ll of course stand aside, but the soldier wonders if it wouldn’t make sense for someone not living in Stormbreak - and thus, outside of Dahlia’s immediate gaze - to be their liaison to such things.

As for void devices and truth serums, Koa nods along. It makes more sense what Zavien’s saying, would help them know their allies. “Do we think we could ask the gods to intervene? To remove Dahlia, or at least reduce her influence?” The lack of confidence Koa feels in this idea is clear in his voice- wouldn’t the Gods have stopped this already, if they had the strength? But while other regions might be constructing barriers and building defenses, what was Stormbreak meant to do on its own, having already been quietly occupied?

Either way- “We could go now. To the shrine in the Celestine.” Why waste time, the Dragoon figures, when so much has already passed? And he’s desperate for something actionable. Plotting is hardly Koa’s strong suit.
Koa Carpenter
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Eventually the Caretaker relented and snagged at a notebook from her basket on the ground. She’d been reluctant at first, given that documentation of their meeting could always end up in the wrong hands, so she only made some casual notations with her bit of charcoal, brows furrowing as she gave no true meaning to the words, in case another stumbled upon it, save for her own mind to ponder over. She didn’t truly mind Koa’s notions either – save for one. “The problem is we have no power here. What happens if I arrive to a meeting, but so does Dahlia? We need something with action…something we can use…,” she mulled, jotting down thoughts flickering back and forth. “Like if they found a way to counter the void, or a member of the Family. That would be valuable.” And it might give them an edge into a multitude they could try.

Listening to the other suggestions on god abilities, charms, and the like, she stopped writing, placing all her attention upon the flow of the conversation. “Most void flora and fauna have that purplish-tinge to them. I’ll admit though, that I didn’t see anything on Dahlia that would make me suspicious.” It’d been the posts on the notice board that had made Lena cringe and retreat instead. Maybe they had something to cloak or seal off the tinge, or the Family simply didn’t showcase or display in such a way. “I wonder about a shield of some kind too…some way to fend them off…”

Koa’s notions gave her some adequate pause – because it couldn’t be so simple. “Safrin tried, didn’t she?” And they’d seen where that had gone. “I’m not sure if Frey would intervene….or Ludo. Vi would be the best option, most likely.” A difficult task, and she wasn’t certain how many prayers it would take. “I’m willing to go together, once we determine exactly what we want.” So at least that was secured.
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Zavien

Zavien couldn't argue with their logic. It would be beneficial to be included in their meetings, but what would they contribute? They didn't have the power or position in Stormbreak to influence its actions. That was Dahlia's. They couldn't even count on the Dragoons, considering the fact that they didn't know who to trust. Without some way to tip the scales against the Family and the Void, the leaders would have no reason to include them. They needed more. More firepower. More information. More influence. Anything would be better than their current standing.

Shaking his head, he said, "I don't think Hadama would agree to that. I agree with Lena. We don't have anything they want other than an inside perspective of Stormbreak, and that doesn't require us to be privy to their discussions." Zavien reached for another sip of his coffee, trying to think of a solution. Cocking his head, he looked to Koa. "Maybe we could try to find some information in the Collegium? Perhaps the Family has been here in the past. Or maybe there are legends that may give us clues to their weaknesses." It was a long shot, but it was better than nothing.

Zavien wasn't familiar enough with items or what the gods might be willing to grant, so he shrugged his shoulders. "A shield would be helpful, especially since we can't erect a barrier without Dahlia's help - and I don't think she would be inclined to do so." He couldn't give any input on which gods to pray to that might grant such a request, so he simply listened to Lena's opinion, taking mental notes for later.

Shifting in his seat, he finally suggested, "Perhaps we can further discuss the specifics of our prayer on our way there?" Similar to Koa, he was starting to feel restless to do something. So much talk about what they didn't have just made him more aware of how powerless he was. He wanted to make a difference and procuring an item that could help was a great first step.