but anyway
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 7 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 24 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2609
And I'm split in half, but that'll have to do
"Oh!" Understanding, Everest smiles and gives his head a small shake that slowly resolves into a shrug. "Not on them. Right before I left, and being away from her for so long..." Trying to reel his smile back in, luckily his rather boyish expression of love is all but ignored in lieu of La Verbena's waiting interior.

"I can absolutely do that." Obediently and knowing the boat like the back of his hand, Ever fills the kettle before placing it over the heating element. Glancing over his shoulder as Mateo appears—looking decidedly more like himself—the aviator flashes him a warm smile. "You look great. It's really good to see you again." He murmurs, crossing the space between them and throwing his arms around the botanist once more, hugging him close.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 1881
champagne, cocaine, gasoline; and most things in between
Gasping dramatically enough that he'll be surprised if the rest of the dock outside doesn't also look around to see what's so exciting, Mateo is almost hopping from foot to foot, nearly bursting with the questions suddenly on his tongue. "Right before you left? Oho, I see how it is. You wanted to practice to impress her." Winking obnoxiously, he watches as Ever places the stove on the heat.

"How did you meet her? What is she like? Oh, do we know her?" he wonders, only to spread his arms and accept Everest back into his embrace. "I have missed you," he mumbles into his chest, clutching him close for a few moments. "It is good to see you again, too. Next time you decide to leave for an extended period of time, let me find someone to watch my shop and I will go with you."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Raising his eyebrows, Ever had expected some sort of reaction from Mateo upon hearing that yes, he was interested in someone, but certainly not the-floor-is-lava-levels. "Not quite." The aviator says dryly. "But...that did end up being something I had in mind while I was away." He adds. "Really, I just...well, she was my first time and I really like her, and I realized if I stayed with her forever, I'd have no context for anything."

The explanation and Mateo's subsequent questions are ignored in lieu of holding the botanist close, and it's with an entirely satisfied sigh that Ever straightens. "Agreed. I really should have had you there. There would have been so many questions you would have been better to ask." Things that revolved around certain Everest-isms, for example.

As for his friend's earlier questions? "Oh. It's Isla." He says rather matter of factly. Never mind that the Remedy was Mateo's namesake. Never mind that one of Mateo's dads is/was in love with her. Never mind she was older. Never mind, never mind, never mind.

"I think I'm in love with her." Ever says, just as the kettle starts to whistle.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Mateo listens with a smile that easily wants to run away with itself, and he's at risk of overflowing with all the things he wants to do and say. "She was your first time," he gushes, all but whispering the words in case he ends up screaming them instead. For a man with zero interest in romantic partnerships, Mateo is nonetheless ecstatic for his friend, even if it necessarily means he will see him less.

Their original plan was with the Everest of old, after all. This one deserves all the happiness he can get (which, so did the old one, but a sex tour was never on the cards for that version of the aviator). Happily stepping back from the other man's embrace, he doesn't so much care about going with Ever on any future trips as he does his questions, and at least he gets the answer - in the form of one word. Isla.

"I am sorry, what," he blurts, jaw dropping as if trying to decide if Ever is serious. Which, of course he would be. "I... you are what." Blinking and trying to catch up with the conversation, the botanist rushes forward to get his tin of tea and a couple of mugs (just in case Ever likes this kind).

"I mean... good for you," he says eventually. "And you... have you told her that yet? About the love thing?" The only time Mateo has sounded even remotely tentative, and it's absolutely because he doesn't want the Remedy to run for the hills if Ever is too keen.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
"She was. My first two times, even." The aviator adds with a sly smile, though it occurs to him that perhaps while it was okay to be forthright about his times in the brothel, maybe he shouldn't discuss his sex life with Isla. Equally, Mateo was his best friend, so...?

"Mhm, Isla. Lockwood." Adding her last name just in case it helped, which was silly because the botanist of course knew exactly who he meant, Everest turns to pull the kettle from the element so it would cease its earsplitting song.

"No. I nearly did, though the other night at the Ball." Or, after the Ball. "It's hard to know, because I've never felt it, but this certainly seems like what it should feel like." Ever reasons, before turning and pouring the water into the mugs Mateo had set out for them.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
With blue eyes round like saucers and another smile threatening to permanently divet his dimples into his face, clearly Mateo is nothing but pleased to hear whatever details Ever wants to share about his time with the marvellous Doctor Lockwood. "I am really happy for you," he murmurs as he puts the tea leaves into their mugs, drawing his hands back so Ever can pour the water over them.

"I think you should let her say it first," he adds, making it sound as casual as he can. "Or wait until you have been on a certain number of dates, maybe? And then if she has not said it yet, you can tell her?" He's unable to put a name to the desperate sort of worry he feels tangling in his gut at the idea of Everest being rejected, but gods if Mateo wants to reduce the risk of that as much as possible.

"So are you... together?" he asks slowly.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
"Thanks." Everest hums, filling the mugs and setting the kettle back on one of the cool elements.

"Why would I do that?" Genuinely asked, the aviator raises his eyebrows thoughtfully as he blows over the rim of his mug. "She seemed to really like when I told her that I liked her, and everyone else I've ever said that I loved likes hearing it." His parents, Mateo, end of list. Based on everything he knew about Isla, and how delicate her sense of worth seemed to be based on what she'd said about past relationships, the aviator had actually thought precisely the opposite to what his friend was telling him now.

Pressing his lip to the mug to see if the tea was still hot—and it was—Ever shrugged. "I don't know what the exact parameters are, but I'm taking her on a date and it certainly sounds like she wants to keep spending time with me. Does that make us together?"
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Taking his mug to warm his hands and stepping back so he can sit on a wicker stool, crossing his legs beneath him, now Mateo feels like he's home; giving social advice to his best friend over a cup of tea is all it takes, apparently. "Well," he says slowly, "Love is a very strong feeling - probably one of the strongest you can have. Some people are afraid of it and what it means, especially if it seems to appear very quickly. And when people are afraid, they might withdraw or push you away."

Smiling into his mug, Mateo shrugs his shoulders. "I do not want anyone to ever push you away," he admits freely.

As for the actual status of his relationship with Isla, that at least seems promising. "It certainly sounds like it," he agrees. "That is something you can probably ask about. When is your date?"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
"But...what does my being in love with her, have to do with her?" Admittedly that was a strange way of wording it, and so with a frown, Everest looked down into his tea with a sigh. "I guess I mean...it isn't like I'm asking her to do anything differently just because of how I feel." Twitching his lips, the aviator pushed himself away from the kitchenette and moved instead to the couch, setting his tea down on a coaster.

"I suppose I just don't understand why it would scare someone."

Making a mental note (you know, instead of several physical ones) to ask Isla if they were together on their date, the aviator glances up. "In two days. I told her that I would plan everything." That at least wasn't a surprise, not given how much of a planner Ever always had been. Only now it was because he wanted the opportunity to dazzle Isla every single moment that they were together, and he could only achieve that with planning.

"I was going to find something for her to wear. Would you help me pick something? I didn't have you to dress me for the Ball, and I can promise you that people noticed." Though likely not for the reasons that the botanist would think.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Tilting his head and waiting patiently for Ever to realise what he's said and rephrase it, Mateo takes a quick sip of tea despite its heat, relishing the flavour that hums to life on his tongue. "Having never been in love myself, I can only speculate," he says slowly, "but I suppose it's to do with being afraid to lose something you care about. If you love something, it'll hurt if you lose it." He shrugs his shoulder.

"From what I've heard, Isla has loved and lost a few times. So she might be worried about it." Honestly, though, the only person who would really know how she'd react is the Remedy herself. For Mateo at least, he's still primarily concerned about the aviator's feelings.

Much more interested in the date besides, he bites his lip such that only one dimple appears when he smiles, nodding eagerly to his friend. "I'll help you pick an outfit for her, and I'll dress you before you go," he assures him. "Where will you be taking her?"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
"But I already love her." The aviator protests, albeit gently. "And if I lose her just because I expressed my feelings..." Frowning, Ever tries to smooth out the wrinkles he can feel developing on his forehead as he stares intently down into his tea. "I think if that's the case, it might not work out anyway. But it doesn't change how I feel."

Still, Mateo was more knowledgeable about these things than the aviator if only because he'd at least had these sorts of conversations with the men and women around him. Presumably, anyway, whereas Everest never had. Other than the fact that his parents were in love, full stop, he knew absolutely nothing on the subject.

Sitting forward a touch eagerly, Ever tilts his head to the side somewhat, in a gesture that looked both avian and canine at the same time. "Well, I was thinking I would invite her here, to Stormbreak." He explains. "I thought first we'd take a walk through the Celestine. I'm not sure if she's ever been there, but there's always something new to see. Then I thought we'd do one of those cooking classes they offer in the Silk Houses, and then round out the evening at the hot springs." His gaze had fallen toward the table as he outlined his itinerary, and once he finished, Ever looked up hopefully, eyebrows raised for his friend's input.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Feeling his smile threaten to hurt his cheeks, Mateo reaches out to give his friend's shoulder a warm squeeze, having missed the frank nature of Everest's speech, even (apparently) when it comes to subjects as deep as love, unrequited or otherwise. "Well, however it turns out, I will always love you," he assures the aviator, before sitting back again with his tea, ready and all ears to hear Ever's plans for his very first date.

"To Stormbreak? That's a good idea," he says with an encouraging nod, waiting to hear The Plan in full and grinning into his tea. "Ever, that sounds like a really nice date," he says honestly, nodding to him. "I'll make sure I help you pick something warm for Isla to wear. It is a lot colder up here in Deepfrost than it is in Torchline, and I don't think Ancients do well in the cold."

Last thing Ever probably wants is for his date to turn to stone. "And once you're done with the hotsprings, are you going to stay anywhere?" Unless he merely plans to walk Isla to the skyport and let her go home.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Not shying away, instead, Everest smiles warmly across the table. "I'll always love you too. No matter what." It was one of the very few forever type promises that the aviator had ever made in his life, and even without Dahlia's influence, he'd never regretted extending it to the botanist.

"Oh." Biting at the inside of his cheek and slumping back against the couch, the aviator exhaled into his tea before taking a sip. "I hadn't even thought of that. Is it a bad idea, do you think? Should we stay in Torchline?" How he could have forgotten something as critical as the fact that Isla might turn to snow if he brought her somewhere cold—gods, how many of the exhibits in the Celestine would be ice-filled to suit what was inside?—Everest was suddenly wondering if he shouldn't just bring Isla to the Climb himself and deal with the consequences the temperature would have on him.

"I...well, I suppose that depends if things go well?" Not wanting to appear too excited at the thought but not quite being able to hide it, Everest shrugged bashfully as he tried to conceal the flush on his cheeks behind the lip of his mug.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"No matter what," Mateo agrees, raising his teacup in a cheers before his attention turns back to the date his friend has planned.

"I think as long as you're prepared it should be okay," he says honestly. "Maybe check how warm the hotsprings still are during this season, and have a back up plan ready if you need? Though I think Ancients can also use fire magic, so maybe Isla will be able to keep herself warm? Oh, or maybe you will have to do that for her." He winks.

Either way, it's nothing, certainly, that should call a halt to the date completely. Stormbreak might be brisk, but it's no Halo at this time of year.

"Perhaps you can book at room at the White Hart, and if things go well..." Bouncing his eyebrows and not needing to finish that sentence, it at least gives Ever the option if he and his new lady friend do want to abscond.