Training addicted to pain
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
ronin
A man unwilling to fight for what he wants deserves what he gets
Oh sweet Safrin he was not as fit as he used to be.

Who knew coming back from the dead gave you noodle arms and the lungs of an invalid? Still - Ronin was no stranger to hard work, and so help him he would persevere until he was well on the way to his former strength. For now, though, it was back to basics. Way back to basics.

The only saving grace was that the morning he had set out to run the perimeter, a hard rain had begun to fall, slicking his hair back and darkening it to pitch black. He was soaked from head to foot, dirt and grass squelching beneath his feet with each step. Still, his blue eyes burned with determination, and it was only when he reached one of the tall fenceposts which designated the beginning of someone's farmlands that he gave himself a break.

Heart pounding, lungs burning, Ronin still found himself giddily laughing as he clung to the post to stay upright. He'd not been this terrible at exercise since he'd been a teenager!
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
Ronin was far from alone as he ran his paces. Roana regularly did this perimeter run. Almost every day in fact, depending on her boys and their level of consciousness in the morning. Today they were our cold so for a run she went!

She got caught in the same rainstorm, her ponytail of drenched now nearl black hair slapping the back of her neck unpleasantly. But she simply ignored it, pressing forward with great ease. She may as well have been taking a leisurely stroll, not running as quickly as she could without sprinting based on how even her breaths were. As steady as it was though, it still hitched when she squinted at a figure up ahead, recognizing him quickly. "Ronin??" she called out, in utter shock. But...how?!
Why is my reflection someone
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
ronin
Having straightened up at last, still having to take slow and even breaths through his nose to get rid of the stitch in his side, Ronin couldn't miss the sound of his name in a familiar voice as he whipped around. Even in the rain, Roana was unmistakeable, and he grinned broadly to her and cast her a wave. "I wondered when I'd see you!" He panted, setting off in a clumsy jog until he had closed the distance between them, rain dripping from his nose.

"Don't freak out, okay? Please." He laughed giddily. "I... It's a long story. Safrin pulled my star down from the sky. Ashetta bartered with Mort and now I'm here. I'm... well, I'm me, but my body is new apparently. No scars, and I can't run for shit, Ro."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Oh, Roana most certainly did not freak out. In fact, she went stock still, just gaping at him, hands resting on her hips. It was obviously taking her brain a moment to process everything he said to her, her eyes almost glazed over as he quickly rifled off everything that had happened. Or were those tears misting her eyes and not a lack of comprehension? It would be rather odd if it were the latter realistically - military folk like them had to take information in quickly and act under pressure all the time. And if recent events were a good benchmark, Roana was very adept at taking in information and acting on it almost instantaneously.

Such was the case now.

She reached out and grabbed Ronin by the upper arm and pulled him in for a big bear hug. He might be a wimpy level 1 now, but he needed worry about being crushed. She had three sons and was well versed in the big momma bear hug that was comforting and strong without causing harm. "We can teach you to run again, a small price to have you back." she said, just the barest hint of emotion in her voice. Things had been hard without him. He had been trusted and loved and she had hung back in his shadow, focusing on her children and their adjustment. To have so suddenly been brought back to the front of political affairs had been a jolt, and he had left shoes she simply couldn't fill. People had wanted Ronin, and a Roana just didn't suffice.
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
Ronin nibbled at the inside of his lip as he waited for Roana to finish her appraisal of him, not quite knowing what to think. From what he knew of his fellow ex-captain, he was in for either a lecture and a half or he was about to get his socks worked off his poor feet, so when she pulled him into a hug he was both surprised and elated. Letting out a soft laugh laced with shock, he hugged her back tightly, unable to wipe the grin off his face.

"Well, maybe you'd be so kind as to let me run with you?" he asked. "I've no chance of keeping up, but as long as you don't laugh too hard when you lap me, I'll be alright." Still smiling broadly, he stepped back and gave her shoulders a squeeze. "It's good to be back," he told her warmly. "I heard a few things, about what happened... Thank you. For doing everything that you did."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
His assessment of her was entirely warranted. Roana was strict and exacting. It was why she had risen to the station she had back in Northwind and Northaven. She didn't ride on the coattails of her father's legacy, she continued it with her own accomplishments achieved with blood, sweat, and tears. To expect that she was about to verbally lash him or work him to death was smart...but she would have been glad to surprise him. For all her toughness, Roana loved hard, and Ronin was one of the very few left in this world that she could call a friend. Laughter is infectious though, and his small laugh of surprise made her laugh a little as well. "Oh no. I'll keep in step and prompt you on...and carry you home if your legs are jelly at the end." she said with a light laugh, unable to help her wide grin. "It's good to have you back."

As they set off, she would let Ronin pick the pace. He was apparently back to square one, so she wouldn't expect him to keep up like he once could. He mentioned that he had heard things and her expression dropped. Now she was the one expecting to get yelled at. He had managed to bring people together...and she had sparked hate and outrage. Not that she thought she could have avoided it, whatever way she moved the little troop figurines on the game of war in head, the same situation happened. But then it was her turn for surprise as he thanked her. She glanced over at him, a brow raised, shock evident. For a moment she was speechless, but eventually her shock melted into a small smile. "I am not certain what I did deserves thanks...but I was not about to let your last words to me go without action." she said. Her blue eyes cast forward to the ground ahead of them, contemplative. "What all have you heard?" she asked, curious, before adding. "Because I am afraid this all is much more...complicated than any of us might have imagined...and now that we have started, I don't think we can call it done just because the barrier is down."
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
"Ah, my own cheerleader. I'll need it, if this first run has set the tone for the rest of it." Ronin chuckled, dropping his arms and nodding to her, deciding not to comment or joke about her carrying him back if his legs turned to jelly. It wasn't funny if it was true, after all. They set off together nonetheless, the rain keeping them cool and the muddy ground cutting their work out for them, and Ronin had to choose his moments to talk lest he run out of breath.

He did smile across at her, however, as her expression dropped. "Oh," he said, "y'know. A mob gathering outside the Spire to stop it opening. A riot nearly happening. A lot of bad words said about you that I reckon were a bit undeserved." He shook his head, panting and falling quiet again to continue their jog.

Only when they reached the next landmark did he pause for breath, leaning hard against the fence and flashing her a grin. "Yeah, I reckon the same," he agreed. "But. At least now we can get out from under the feet of those who live here. For better or worse, we're free."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Roana grinned at him. "Day three after the first workout after a long break is always the worst. You'll be butt-bumping down the stairs of your guildhall I bet." she joked with a small snicker. A run like this in a new, completely unconditioned body? Yeah. He was going to be feeling this for awhile. She made a mental note to check on him so he wouldn't find himself with a screaming child and the inability to get up from wherever he sat himself.

She nodded at what he described. Seemed about right. While he panted, she was perfectly fine, breathing steady and unperturbed by the exercise. "Maybe, maybe not. Some of the things people said as insults others would call my best features. Though the best one was 'Outlander whore'." she said with scoff, rolling her eyes. "But if starting a riot and making damn near everyone hate me helped prompt whatever got the Spire open, and the barrier down, I would do it again in a heartbeat." she said without any hesitation. It was difficult, being probably one of the most hated people in the area, but whether people liked her or not hadn't been the objective. Bringing down the barrier had. But now there was a new objective...and she was pretty sure she wouldn't be able to do it alone.

The stopped near another structure so Ronin could catch his breath. "Try keeping your hands relaxed and not in fists. Helps you not run out of steam so fast." she said, having observed his form on their run and wanting to be helpful. Of course, his brain obviously still remembered what good form was, but getting an untrained body to do it was a significant challenge. He spoke of freedom and she frowned a little, stretching her calves while he recuperated. "Ronin...I'm going to suggest something, and I want you to really consider it and don't just say no right away." she said after a moment of silence. "But first...do you know why the barrier was put up in the first place? And why and how we were brought here?"
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
"Oh, it is so nice to know that I have so much to look forward to." Ronin chuckled to his fellow ex-captain, rolling his eyes playfully but fully believing what she had said. It was fuzzy, but he did recall his training in the Storm Guard right at the start. Aching legs that felt like jelly and not being able to get up after sitting was something he was familiar with, even if not in recent times. Once he might have let pride try to mimic Roana's form as they ran, but he knew better these days. If he didn't get enough air in his lungs he'd likely pass out and she'd have to carry him home anyway.

He grinned at her comments about what the people had said and the ruckus caused, happily stopping at their next marker and having to crouch down, leaning his elbows on his knees to take deep and steady breaths. "And that's why I knew you'd be the person to do it," he confirmed with a nod, though he didn't think that either of them would argue that it might have been done with a bit more tact.

Gazing down at his (still clenched) fists as Roana commented on his form, Ronin grumbled and shook out his hands. "It must be bad if you're even helping me to fix the basics," he remarked, smirking up at her and straightening up again. Sweeping rain-slick hair back from his face, he nodded to show he was ready to continue, and set off once again.

He frowned across at her thoughtfully as she spoke again, Ronin suddenly unsure about what was to come. Shrugging a bit, he turned his eyes forward to the fields that stretched ahead. "I know the basics. The Voice, right? But... feel free to elaborate, please."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Roana snickered, hiding her grin behind her hand. "Good to see your humor is still in tact. Aoife will get a kick out of you though. Babies love when their parents hurt themselves." she said knowingly. Oh, how many times had her boys cackled when she pretended to hit herself or knock her knee on something? Too many to count.

They stopped again and Roana proceeded to stretching again while he caught his breath. She wasn't stiff or sore but she felt a bit guilty. Once upon a time he probably could have outpaced her and now he was like a new, baby recruit. That had to be frustrating. "Good to know you keep me around for my masochistic tendencies." she said with a smirk.

She smiled a bit as he grumbled and shook out his hands. "Aw, don't be sour now. I'm just looking out for some of the things that are easy to forget when you're focused on breathing." she said. "You're actually not doing too bad. Second time around as a new recruit must be easier." she joked.

But as they started off again the conversation grew more serious. Fortunately for Ronin and his straining lungs, it would rely mostly on her to carry the conversation. "Well...there was a war. Between the Voice and the other gods. I'm not really sure of the specifics and the Naturals that will talk to me anymore don't really know much more than that. But the Voice was a human once. A mage who grew too powerful for her own good it seems. I figure she used the Ascended as her main military force. But you and I both know how much damage a rogue mage of great power can do in a short period of time." Northwind had been filled with powerful mages and despite laws they did occasionally get power hungry and go on rampages. Like if Bellamy Rowan or pick-a-Launceleyn decided to try a coup. It was bad news bears.

"She must've been too powerful at the time to do away with so the other gods trapped her in the barrier...and everyone else. In some last ditch effort to get out she somehow managed to pull us from our worlds here to get her out." she said, falling silent for a minute. And her plan worked. They had been pawns and they'd released her on the world again. "It's why people were so against bringing it down, because the gods did it to protect the rest of Caido. In our search for freedom, we played the perfect pawns and whatever freedom we have now is going to be short lived if nothing is done about the Voice." Roana glanced over at Ronin, her brow furrowed in a look of concern. "I don't want to fight another person's war...but if we were brought here because we've the tools and skills to release her, we just might have what it takes to bring her down too...and I think we must. Its our duty to. We unleashed her back into Caido, the least we can do is to finally bring an end to all of it."
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
Ronin scoffed to his friend, and nodded in agreement. "Babies, small dragons, alchemists. I have found it is a universal way to make people laugh." He shrugged; at least he would always be a source of entertainment for his friends and family, he supposed. "How are your boys, anyway?" he asked, realising that with everything that had happened, he had quite neglected to ask about Roana and her family.

Her masochistic tendencies notwithstanding, Ronin was still appreciative of her efforts to help him with his form and to cheer him on, so to speak, throughout the course of their run. He thought he'd taken more breaks on this outing alone than he would have done in the past few months of running, but one had to start somewhere. "Aye, I hope you're right about that. I've already been broken once as a greenhorn, hopefully my body gets the message quicker this time." He grinned.

More than a touch relieved that her explanation gave him a chance to focus solely on running, Ronin was still frowning softly as he heard her out. The Voice, ascended to godhood by her own power alone, to create her own race of Ascended... it did sound very... well. Very Northaveny, if Ronin was honest about it. That was just the tip of this shitstorm of an iceberg, however, and his steps slowed and faltered for a reason entirely different to needing a break.

They had freed this power hungry force, by bringing down the barrier? They had caused pain to a land which had tried to protect its people, had played right into the hands of the Voice this whole time? He felt a little sick, honestly, shaking his head in disbelief. "But... Safrin..." Safrin had guided him, had directed him and trusted him to carry out her task. As one of the old gods, should she not have been against the Voice and her release? Swallowing hard, he nodded instantly to Roana's suggestion. "You're right," he said. "This might not have been our war before. But we involved ourselves, and we'd better pull our weight when it matters most."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
"Fair point." she said with a grin. "How is Remi, by the way? He was still properly grieving last time I saw him." she said. Roana had felt badly for him. He seemed a nice man who had gotten a very unlucky lot then given a baby - which is exactly what a person needs when they feel like they are drowning. "Oh they are as good as rambunctious six-year old boys can be. I've been busy a lot lately so they've been staying with their Aunt Phoebe pretty often. Got to start locking up the sweets though because I swear Jax can smell them a mile away." she said with a light laugh.

"Well, you were brought back to life by the will of the gods. I would think that should come with some perks to help you out." Roana said with a grin. Really, she wondered if he would gain strength more quickly than the average person because of it, or if maybe his strengths would lie elsewhere besides his physical strength. Would he have powers or god-like abilities? Time would tell.

As he faltered she pulled to a stop. It was probably better if they hashed this out over a break than while running anyways...if only for Ronin's sake. "Safrin, I am certain either wanted to get out because 300 years is a long time to be stuck anywhere, or she saw what I saw, a failed military campaign. Because unlike you, when I pursued bringing the barrier down, I knew exactly what I was doing." she said solemnly. Ronin clearly hadn't known all the details, hadn't known that bringing down the barrier would unleash chaos unto all of Caido. But Roana had, and she had pursued that chaos anyways. "I can't speak for Safrin though, so you might ask her directly. But...if there is blame to be had, I bear it more than you." Ronin had acted in ignorance, with the best of intentions. Roana had acted perfectly aware of the potential repercussions.

Relief washed over her as Ronin readily agreed. "There is a small government council that is in its infancy. A young woman named Maea has organized and headed it. She asked me to oversee enforcement and peacekeeping activities...But you might better fit the position since you're more well liked frankly. Regardless, I think it is important to regain the trust of the people here and convince them of the plan ahead...and it would be helpful if we could say that the gods were behind our mission to bring an end to the Voice." And who had a better in with the gods than the one who had been resurrected by them?
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
"It was a surprise for Remi," Ronin said with a warm smile as he thought about his friend, the guildmaster leaning against a nearby fence since Roana had been kind enough to let him try to put his legs back together before they continued. "But he's doing good, I think. As well as could be expected, after I showed up at his door, anyway." He chuckled, eyes lighting up as his fellow ex-captain spoke about her brood of boys. "I can barely imagine," he said, sounding both amused and pleased that she and her family were doing so well. "I only have one, and she's more than enough right now!"

Carefully stretching out his calves and rolling his ankles, he listened carefully to what she said, especially about Safrin. And even then, he gave her a small smile, reaching out to clap her on the shoulder. "If there is blame to be had then we bear it together," he said simply. "You may have finished it, but I kicked it off and then had the audacity to die and leave the mess in your lap."

Sure, it was fine to be lighthearted about it now. But Ronin had no doubt that, at the time, it had been fairly horrible. Still, as Roana mentioned a council he tilted his head, intrigued by the prospect. "Maea," he repeated, unsure if he had ever met the woman personally, but committing her name to memory nonetheless. That being said, he hadn't expected Roana to volunteer him for a position. "Hey, whoa. Are you sure? She approached you for it, Ro."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
”A surprise for us all I think.” she said with a soft smile. But she was glad to hear that the alchemist was doing well. It was clear to her that he had been very close to Ronin, and his death had hurt him deeply. Having him back had probably been more than a surprise. But as the conversation turned to the children again. ”Just wait until she starts walking. Then I expect you to come and praise my ability to remain sane.” she said jokingly. At least when they couldn’t walk they were generally always where you put them. As soon as they got steady on their feet, keeping track of where they went at all times was a full time job in and of itself.

He clapped her shoulder and tried to take some of the burden from her, but that was easier said than done. She frowned a little, considering whether it was worth saying or not. Ultimately, she figured if she didn’t it would eat at her, and so she sighed, preparing for the worst but hoping for the best reaction from her fellow ex-Captain. ”Well…I think I was the one that set off the explosive…and I was too slow in telling you to get back.” she said quietly, her brow furrowing. It wasn’t his audacity that got him killed, it was her failure.

He repeated the girl’s name and she nodded. ”She is a quiet, rather unconfident girl but she has a lot of potential, and is one of the few Naturals that has kept her head in all of this.” Roana told him. A grin curved her lips as he back pedaled from the offer, shaking her head with a light laugh. ”If you don’t want it, that’s fine. Maea would likely have to approve anyways. But…there needs to be someone everyone can rally behind and I think you’re better suited than me. Blessed by Safrin, reborn thanks to the gods…and not one person has created a mob to oppose you.” she said with a light laugh. ”We are talking about going to war against a goddess after all. We don’t have a hope of success if everyone remains fractured.”
I don't know?