That is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
He might not know the names of the places he found himself when he let his mind drift and his paws wander, but as soon as he saw the eerie trees of the grove he padded into he had a feeling that this was a place belonging to the young psychopomp and Caido's gentle god of death. Curiosity drove the fox, as always, as he explored without desire for destination, merely enjoying the wonder and newness of this place he had never been before as Isuma bounded along behind him - or occasionally in front of him, or beside him, wherever her own curious and playful nature took her.

Jigano was not relaxed in this place. There was a sense of things unseen, of movement out of the corners of his eyes that had no source when he turned his head to try and catch them. But though watchful, he was calm, and in time his patience was rewarded as he found two trees adorned with lanterns and bearing white candles reminiscent of the one in Rory's lantern. The fox paused thoughtfully as Isuma explored the lanterns, and then shifted back into his human form. He had not come expecting to pray today, and he had no prepared offerings, but he was occasionally resourceful, or so he liked to think. A page was torn from the back of his journal and he used the book as a hard surface to begin the clever folding he had learned from his mother.

After a few minutes of painstaking work a small white owl emerged from the paper his nimble fingers manipulated, and he placed it on a low branch near one of the candle shelves. Bowing his head, he slipped smoothly back to his fox form and sent a prayer winging silently to the heavens.

Ludo? he called, concern coloring the more usual reverence of his prayers. Are you alright? Mort isn't angry with you for what we did, is he?
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"Angry? Never never." Ludo sounded younger, almost - whether it was because they were in its woods, or outside of the Hollowed Ground, or simply because he had been reunited with Mort, it was difficult to say. But the deity appeared perched on the branch that Jigano had placed the white owl upon, a curl of fabric plucking it up so Ludo could ooooo with delight. It turned the offering this way and that, swinging long legs from the branch, before the little owl slipped away and disappeared into the folds of its rags - an obvious sign that it had been accepted.

"Hello, sweetling," it said, hopping from the tree to drift down and sit before the fox, its blank mask somehow exuding contentment today. "I am perfectly alright. It has simply been an effort, is all, to deliver three centuries of souls to the place where they can be at peace with Mort."

LUDO
Braved the forests, braved the stone
Braved the icy winds and fire
Braved and beat them on my own

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He hadn't been expecting to be answered, in truth, but the youthful reassurance had the fox releasing a soft sigh of relief before he cocked his head up, looking around for the spirit guide. Finding him on the branch with the owl, Jigano let his tongue loll out in a foxy grin, pleased that his offering was met with such delight. It was one of the more intricate designs he could make from a single sheet of paper, and he had hoped that would make up for the paper itself being so plain.

Isuma was less well-mannered in her greeting as Ludo descended to speak with them. The little gryphlet recognized something unsettling about the death god, but she also felt Jigano's reassurance and remembered those tickling rags. With a bright reep! of greeting she pounced towards one of his fluttering strips of cloth, wings fluttering with the beginnings of what would someday soon be flight.

Jigano watched indulgently, head cocked to the side as he considered the youthful deity's words and then bowed his head in respect for the duty that Ludo had done. I am glad they have been allowed to continue their journeys, he said quietly. And that you need not shoulder the weight of them alone anymore. He looked up then, ears perking forward as he watched Isuma try to lure a god into play, her childish eagerness a bright spot in the shadowed wood. He chuckled to himself and then rose, stepping forward into the deity's reach as well.

I was worried when you did not come for your payment, he admitted more quietly. We didn't know how the Old Ones would react to the barrier's fall... It is good to see you are well, in spite of our actions. Odd, perhaps, for a mortal to be worried and protective of a god, but it would not be the first time for him. Perhaps it was something in being an Oracle, or perhaps it was knowing something of Ludo's youth in spite of their ancient existence, but Jigano found he didn't mind at all if petting him brought the spirit guide a little innocent joy.
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Hello." Ludo greeted Isuma just as brightly as she had done, and it tickled a strip of fabric over her as if to entice her to play. "Ah, you shall be a swooping predator soon, little cat-bird," it informed her. "And then all of the mice shall scurry and hide, else they shall be on their way to Mort as well."

It listened quietly as Jigano spoke, glancing up from Isuma only when the fox began to approach as well. "It has been a very long time, since I was able to perform my duty properly," it said. "I am looking forward to it. And Vi is very angry, but Mort has never raised his voice to me. All is well. For now."

Reaching out, frostbitten fingers emerged from a slip of cloth to scritch behind the fox's ear, content to accept payment now.

LUDO

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Playing was Isuma's default state, and she eagerly reared up on her hind legs to dance and bat after the dangling strip of twisting cloth with gentle talons. She might not have understood the deity's words, but his tone had her purring with pleasure at the attention, when she wasn't chirruping in delight at the toy and playmate they had found.

Jigano was more solemn, and he tilted his head curiously at hearing of Vi's anger. Mort's calm equanimity matched with what Safrin had shared of the Old Gods, and he relaxed a little to know that Ludo, at least, had nothing to worry about. The Starry-Eyed One though... well. She was a worry for another time. The fox leaned into the scritches a little self-consciously, closing his eyes as he thought of the last time he had soon the masked god. There had been lanterns in those woods, too, and spirits that walked beside and behind him in a quiet parade. Amalia had been there, too, and they had discussed... several things. But one...

Now that the barrier is down, and Mort can reach the souls within again, he spoke slowly in his mind, forming the words carefully as he explored them, will he be able to bring back those lost souls? The ones who can't - or won't - find their way to your lantern and song in the normal passage of time? Curling up beneath Ludo's hand, Jigano found himself tilting his head harder into the clever fingers as the god found a particularly itchy spot and sank deep into soft fur.
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Ludo was willing and able to entertain both Isuma and Jigano simultaneously, and the strip of fabric would dance and wave about of its own accord to allow her to continue her playtime whilst it discussed existence with her bonded human. "Mm... I cannot say," it told the fox, scritching more attentively into the spot where Jigano tilted his head, before smoothing out the thick fur to ensure it was not ruffled.

"It was a relatively rare thing to happen, before the barrier. I am unsure whether those souls can be saved, or whether they are too twisted, to beyond what they once were to return." It fell quiet to gently pet the fox, the porcelain mask regarding him as blankly as ever. "You would try to help them." It was not a question.

LUDO

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Isuma was more than happy to play with a god, though mostly she was focused on playing with the bouncing strip of cloth that gave her something to leap and pounce at, honing her hunting instincts in that adorable way of young predators. Jigano was more sedate in his interaction with the soul guide, but he was grateful for the concern paid to the smoothness of his silky fur, and glad to share his company if a mere mortal could bring a little solace to a deity so far beyond him. But... Ludo had been mortal once, whatever his lofty state now, and it was not impossible to think that he might appreciate a few moments of relaxation amid his neverending duties to Mort.

It was certainly a relief to hear that such lost spirits as they had been discussing were not likely common outside of the barrier, however. Though that still left those who had been caught within, as trapped and twisted as everything else that could not escape. Perhaps the young god read his thoughts, or perhaps he simply knew enough of the oracle by now to know what he had in mind, but the fox tilted his head in assent at the statement. As you said, his mental voice was soft and thoughtful. Without the barrier, they might never have fallen so far into darkness in their lives or at their deaths. It seems unkind to leave them be, slaves to their pain and anger. And some might have earned their personal hell... but that doesn't mean they should be left free to take their rage out on others, or that they should suffer forever. I don't know if they can hurt other spirits or the living, but on my world such as they could do so. I would try and free them from that cycle, yes, and send them on to you. He tilted his head up to catch sight of the expressionless mask, blue eyes twinkling wryly. It is a dream, at least, he acknowledged, aware of his own habit of overreaching himself. Though I don't yet know how I would accomplish such a thing. Or if it's something you and Mort would even approve of?
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Simultaneously entertaining Isuma whilst fussing over Jigano, Ludo let out a quiet and echoing laugh which seemed to bounce through the trees, pinging back and forth and scattering a few crows seated among the higher branches. "It does not matter, if I approve," it said. "And Mort would not turn down such a gift. But I am unsure whether your efforts would be worth it."

It shrugged its shoulders, settling back somewhat in its rags. "The people who once were... what they have become are considered monsters. For they are monstrous. There is a guild, is there not, responsible already for ensuring they do not get out of hand?" In some way, that was ensuring they were not a danger to others... but it did not allow them to collect a soul either, however small and dark it might be at that point.

LUDO

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano deflated a bit under the god's calm indifference, cold reality tapping nails in the idea he'd been turning over in his head since they had brought the spirits to the lantern grove beyond the world's edge. There is a guild, he agreed quietly. Their attack on the spire demon nearly created a war between mortals, as you saw, and I don't think they did much during Long Night to face the monsters down in the dark but... yes, technically such a guild exists. He rested his chin on his paws, watching Isuma play happily with her new toy, that bounced and tickled and left her squeaking joyfully in predatory delight.

It never ceased to be a strange and uncomfortable thing, to face the loss of what he had once been capable of and no longer was. Once he had been a hunter of monsters. Or at least... had aided those who did. Now... well. Feeling sorry for himself hadn't gotten him anywhere the first two seasons he had been here, and he saw no reason to think it would start now. He turned his head to nose gently at the hand that was stroking his fur, ears relaxed and canted partially back. I just wish... I wish I could be of some help to you. I still find it strange, living in a world where the gods aren't so far away, he added, a flicker of his wry humor in his mental tone. Though... it definitely has its perks. He tilted his ears forward, blue eyes twinkling with mischief at the memory of Ludo finding the perfect itchy spot earlier.
Spooky Rags

Change author:

"Come now, sweetling. Do not deflate over such a thing. A guild exists to dispatch monsters. Some of those monsters may have once been men, twisted beyond natural rhyme or reason. That does not mean you cannot attempt to collect what might yet be there." For truthfully Ludo did not know. Did those monsters still have souls that might yet be guided into Mort's careful embrace? It was intriguing, certainly.

A fluffy nose pressed against its hand, Ludo resuming its fuss with renewed vigour, relaxed and utterly content in the glade. "Be careful with wishes here," it cautioned quietly. "One never knows what power the woods may hold." Pausing, it considered something for a moment, before tilting its mask down towards Jigano. "Did you know that the Fae bury their dead here? They bury them with lanterns, that they might find their way to me, and to Mort."

LUDO

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The white fox tilted his head thoughtfully at Ludo's words, one ear perked up while the other tilted to the side. Would the song still call to them? he mused. Or would it require something else to coax their souls free, once the hunters have done their work upon a monster's material form, something more to bring them back to you? Would the lantern serve to hold as well as guide them? It was an interesting thought, but one he didn't dare get too attached to this time, waiting instead to see if Ludo would offer encouragement or disinterest in his ideas.

The warning was well-taken, Jigano nodding his head as much in acknowledgment as into the teasing fuss of small, cold fingers. For a moment it was silent, and then he blinked blue eyes open again slowly at the little tidbit of knowledge that the masked god dropped before him, like a tasty vole. The Fae? he asked, ever-curious. The winged people from Safrin's book? One of a pair that included the story of a youth lost in the cold. Can a soul find its way to you and Mort without a lantern to guide it? Or does it just make it easier?
Spooky Rags

Change author:

"I do not know - I have never tried such a thing. But the song that sits in your memories, and the lantern... that may be a good place to start." Ludo tickled a cold finger playfully into the fluff of one of Jigano's ears, before returning dutifully to its fussing. Its mask tilted from side to side as the fox continued to speak, as though it was considering something. "I could make such a lantern, one that could guide and hold a soul until such a time as it could be returned to Mort. But I would require a few things."

Pausing in its scritches so it could finally let Isuma grab at the fabric it was dangling, Ludo's laughter was surprisingly youthful in the moment. "Oh, it is an innocent superstition," it advised the bard about the lanterns. "But it is endearing, is it not? I appreciate the gesture."

LUDO

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Then I will-- Whatever he would do was cut short as a finger tickled the fine hairs inside his large ear and the fox shook his head fiercely as his body tried to convince him a bug was trying to crawl inside. He ended with a small sneeze and clamping his ears firmly flat while rolling a wounded blue eye up at the masked god in mild accusation.

The pout faded when Ludo spoke again, an intent focus coming over his gaze that pricked fuzzy white ears straight up again, and earned a thump from the fox's long fluffy brush. I would be honored to help you try, he said, striving to hide his eagerness behind a more demure and properly reverent tone. To learn if it's possible to do so, at least. What things can I find for you?

He sat up, alert and waiting patiently while Ludo turned their attention to Isuma, who had grabbed onto the fabric and was flexing her talons happily into it while balanced on her hind legs. Wings flapped  to keep her balanced as she realized too late that her claws had become caught and her joy turned to consternation as she tried to shake first one foretalon free, then the other, without much success. Jigano bowed his head in acknowledgment that the lanterns weren't necessarily, silently relieved that those who fell without a proper burial or lantern to light their path would still be found and shepherded to their final rest.
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Ludo's mask looked smug, if such a thing could be true, even as Jigano shot a wounded glance up at it. "For this lantern?" It hummed a ponderous note of consideration. "I would need one of the branches from a Wicker Woman... some of the downy feathers from the Spark Bird, and goldfish scales." The mask bobbed in a nod. "That should suffice."

In the meantime, it looked as though Isuma had gotten herself really quite trapped, Ludo's laughter almost that of a child. With a flicker of fabric the stuff she'd caught her talons within would become smoke, if but a moment, freeing her from the deity.

LUDO