Check-Ups and Questions
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
Call the Midwife
Phoebe was recovering, slowly but surely, from the physical and mental shock of her miscarriage. It would take a month or so to be fully back to sorts, her body still sorting out exactly what happened, the reality of it still weighing heavily on her mind. But she could not sit around and wallow. She had to live as Frey had told her, and there were still a great many people who needed her here. Namely, an adorable starry-eyed girl and her very nervous dad. Daddies really, with how involved Remi still was. That Ronin was alive again had reached her ears, and suddenly the reality of demigods that she and Rexanna had joked about was all too real.

But demigod or not, a nervous dad was a nervous dad and she was there to help.

Today was to be a normal checkup for little Aoife, make sure she was growing well and developing as she ought. Her involvement now was purely as a fail-safe. She had the expertise to know what little signs to look for of various developmental problems that might otherwise go unnoticed by a new father. But Phoebe also wasn't terribly worried. Aoife was blessed by Safrin, and she doubted the goddess would let anything go wrong with the girl. And besides, Phoebe had some questions for Ronin that a man of his expertise could answer.

She arrived promptly when scheduled, her little leather bag in her hands, knocking on the door of the guildhall.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 3061
RONIN
When scheduled turned out to be mid-morning, as that was when both Ronin and Aoife were guaranteed to be up and at 'em. Granted, the former captain was used to changing from a lark to an owl whenever it was needed. His daughter, however, had not yet gotten the memo. Still, she was awake at least, as Ronin answered the door to Phoebe, Aoife cuddled against his chest with her thumb in her mouth, head snug against the crook of his neck.

"Ah, come in." Ronin grinned brightly to the midwife on his doorstep, stepping aside for her to enter the hall. It was a different Ronin that greeted her to the man who had nervously brought his newborn along to her first checkup, Ronin leading them through into the greathall where a fire crackled merrily in the hearth and the scent of woodsmoke and roasting meat wafted through the air.

"Long time no see, Phoebe. Do you want something to drink?"
a star in someone else's sky

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
Call the Midwife
Phoebe smiled brightly as Ronin answered the door of the Guildhall. Indeed, he was a far cry from the nervous, mourning father who had first brought Aoife to her clinic for care – but for more reasons than one. Of course, the confidence with which he carried himself and the babe was a noticeable change, but the fact that he was even standing there to hold her was a miracle. But she had seen the world through a god’s lens – if only briefly and in part – so nothing seemed impossible any more where their hands were involved.

She stepped in to the warmth of the guildhall, impressed that a place with a somewhat military function seemed so homey. ”Indeed it has been, for you and I at least.” she said with a smile. She had of course seen Aoife with Remi here and there, most recently at the Fiat Lux celebration. But Ronin had been more difficult because he had been…well…a star. ”I’m alright, thank you. How’ve you been adjusting to being back? And how are you Miss Aoife?” she said, her tone shifting to a higher pitch, a bright smile curving her lips as she spoke to the girl, waving her fingers at her.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN
Nodding gently as Phoebe declined a drink, Ronin moved to sink down into a comfy chair before the hearth, waving a hand to invite the midwife to sit as well. "Yes, that's true. I'm glad, at least, that you were still nearby to help out, when I couldn't be." He meant with his daughter, of course, Ronin grinning as Phoebe moved to greet her. Aoife's thumb slipped from her mouth so she could smile adoringly at the pretty face that moved so close, starlit eyes following waggling fingers curiously.

"You have caught her on the tail end of waking up." Ronin winked to Phoebe, kissing Aoife's mop of curls affectionately. "She'll be a bag of beans within the hour, I guarantee it. How have you been, though? Business booming?"

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Call the Midwife
Phoebe would sit where indicated, setting her little bag down by her feet. At Ronin's comment she simply smiled. "It takes a village to raise a child, and I am more than happy to offer my assistance." Phoebe said in her soothing manner. She was in full work-mode after all, so she was the picture of warmth and comfort in both demeanor and tone of voice. But she meant it all the same. If there had been no one to watch Aoife she would have taken her in herself without a moment's hesitation.

"Oh so you're all sweet and cuddly right now then, aren't you Miss Aoife?" Phoebe cooed at the girl with a grin. Babies after naps were one of two ways - very upset because how dare you wake them or cuddly little lovebugs. "I've been...fine. Been better, been worse." she said with only a slight hesitation. She didn't really want to get into her miscarriage. She wanted to focus on the present. "I wouldn't say booming but picking up. I'm thinking of starting up a research college too. We could use more medical research to help everyone here." she said with a small smile.

"How have you been adjusting to...living again?" she asked with the hint of a grin. "And, if I may, before we get started with Aoife, could I ask you a career related question?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Aoife gurgled a sunny greeting to Phoebe in return, her small fingers curling into her father's shirt to hold it tightly, her head still lolling happily on his shoulder. Ronin seemed content with the current state of affairs too, all things considered, the guildmaster sinking back in his seat and absently fussing over Aoife's curls, stroking a gentle finger across her cheek.

"Mm, I know that feeling well," he murmured to the midwife, smiling softly and nodding, appreciating more than most that she might be going through something that she didn't want to discuss. "If ever you need a hand with anything, you know where I am okay?" Ronin smiled. Speaking of which, it would appear that she did need something the guildmaster arching an eyebrow at her questions.

"Living is... well. It's a wild ride, as you know yourself," he said, chuckling. "But still. I can't describe how good it is to be able to see my friends and my daughter again... a career question, though? You aren't considering a switch to monster hunting, are you?"

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Call the Midwife
Phoebe smiled at him warmly. "Thank you, I will keep that in mind." she said. It was nice to know there were people who would be willing to assist her if she needed it, especially people who were capable and could sway the minds of others like Ronin. It was a generous offer she thought.

Her gaze briefly turned to the cuddly little girl on his shoulder as he spoke, nodding in understanding. "And everyone is glad to have you back too." she said with a smile, looking back at him. But that she might be wanting to be a *monster hunter* had her naturally porcelain skin paling. "Oh no! No no no! Nothing like that, oh gosh I would be the worst recruit ever!" she said quickly, her hands splaying out in front of her as she shook her head. The thought alone had her near wide eyed in fear. Her hunting monsters? It was more likely that Ronin would transform into a bodacious redheaded lizard person than that.

"No, no just...recent events got me thinking that...well if something bad did happen I'm fairly useless...and I'm surrounded by children all the time." she said quietly, looking at the ground. "So I asked Frey for something to defend them and myself if it came to that but...I couldn't really articulate what that might be. So they told me I needed to ask people who've been in dangerous situations what they thought would be most useful - because they said getting what I want is nice but getting what I need would be better."

Finally she raised her gaze to Ronin. "I had said a shield or something to make a portal or make me invisible to get away but...they didn't seem impressed by those things. So...in your experience, what do you think would actually be useful?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Ronin couldn't really believe that everyone was glad to have him back (he could think of a few people that he really ought to give an apology to before he went into any casual conversation), but it was nice to hear it from Phoebe nonetheless. Her amusement was contagious, and though Ronin hadn't been anything close to serious in his suggestion, he found himself laughing as well and shrugging his shoulders. "I wouldn't say you were the worst recruit," he said with a mischievous wink. But it didn't look as though they would ever get the chance to see ift hat was the case.

When it came to the actual question, Ronin settled back in his seat to listen to her, pressing an absent and loving kiss to the top of Aoife's head. The girl was listening too, he thought, one of her little legs kicking comfortably about. "Hm..." His brow furrowed. "Well... first of all, I wouldn't say you were useless at all. One of the best things you can do to protect yourself is to know your strengths, and to learn how to use them." He smiled.

"But I... I wouldn't say anything I've ever owned has been as useful as the people I fight alongside. It sounds corny, but being able to trust the group you're with is imperative." He smiled. "Maybe you need a bodyguard, huh."

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Call the Midwife
"Okay. Second worst." she said with a light laugh, shaking her head. Her. A monster hunter. Yeah right. Even Frey would laugh at her for that. She was about as fit to be a monster hunter as Frey was ready to take an oath if celibacy.

But it seemed Ronin would take her words seriously nonetheless. Know her strengths? Her brow furrowed thoughtfully, reaching out and gently tickling Aoife's swinging foot. Phoebe didn't think she was without strengths, she just wasn't sure she had any strengths that would help her if she had trouble and danger knocking on her door. But she would take him at his word. He was the expert here.

His suggestion though seemed difficult to implement. A bodyguard? She paled a bit, trying not to think about the sort of terrifyingly well-endowed being Frey would gift as a bodyguard. "A...bodyguard. Right..." she said, trying to think of a way that could work that was...reasonable. Phoebe smiled a little and nodded. "Thank you, I will keep that in mind, I appreciate it. Now, do we think the little one is ready for her checkup?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Inclining his head as if to accept second worst - it wasn't as though either of them would get a chance to try it out, after all - Ronin smiled a little at her pondering on his words. "I mean... there are creatures in this place that make fine bodyguards all by themselves," he remarked, nodding up to the rafters as if inviting her to look. There, her silvery slip of a tail wrapped around one of the beams, a pale dragonet peered down at them. Sugar gave a trill at being mentioned, frosty blue eyes curious as they gazed at Phoebe, before she settled down again. "Perhaps that would help you."

Aoife cooed her pleasure as her little foot was tickled, Ronin smiling down to his daughter and nodding gently. "More ready than she is when she's hungry or tired or bored." He chuckled, sitting up in the chair and shifting Aoife in his arms to hold her out for Phoebe.

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Call the Midwife
Oh. A creature. She hadn't even thought of that - which was clear as day on her face as she blinked slowly at the sudden realization. It wasn't like guard animals were a new concept to her she just...literally had not thought of it. Her head tilted up and there her eyes caught glimpse of the little dragon perched up there. She gasped a little in delight, smiling at the creature. "Well hello there, you little sneaky thing." she said brightly to the little dragon. "Wherever did you find such a magnificent creature? What's their name?" she asked Ronin, watching the dragonling for a moment, before turning back to the task at hand.

She carefully took little Aoife from him, moving to kneel on the ground with her. From her bag she pulled out a fluffy little blanket, spreading it over the rug for added cushion before laying the baby girl down and deftly removing all but her diaper so she could get accurate measurements. Using a soft yarn string she measured Aoife's length and the circumference of her head, jotting down notes in a little book she kept as record. "Have you gotten her started on soft foods?" Phoebe asked Ronin while she did here check-up, knowing that speed was key here before Aoife's patience grew thin. "And has she started babbling? Not words but more complex sounds than just a scream or cry?"

Phoebe moved on, gently checking the baby's eyes and hearing much as she had with the first check-up Ronin had brought her for. Similarly, she pressed her ear to her chest, listening to her breath and to her heart, silently counting out the beats.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
As Aoife was bundled up and away from her father, the sneaky little thing in question took the opportunity to soar down from the rafters, landing on the back of Ronin's chair so that she could flop into his lap on her back. Wings fanning out and claws up, she waited expectantly for belly scratches that Ronin happily gave. "This is Sugar," he introduced the dragonling to Phoebe. "I found her during Deepfrost as an egg - she's become quite the formidable ally in her short time with me. Perhaps that's what you need?" He smiled.

Cooing at the dragon as well, Aoife was suitably distracted as she was stripped down and measured, trying to stuff the yarn into her mouth wherever Phoebe let it dangle too near and once or twice attempting to roll away - not that she could really go anywhere. Ronin couldn't help but chuckle as he watched her.

"Remi got hold of some cracker bread... stuff from the Devas Bakery." Ronin nodded in confirmation. "She likes to make a mess with it. She could babble for Caido, too." He grinned. "You'll not shut her up, if she starts."

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Call the Midwife
Phoebe watched the dragonling swooped down into Ronin’s lap seeking scratches like a creature far more mundane than it was. Sugar. What a positively adorable name! But her? Owning a dragon? ”Well I’m not certain Frey would give me a dragon, but I will make sure they know you think I could use one. Maybe they can tell me where to find one at least.”

The midwife was happy to let the baby play with the yarn, but was careful to not let her eat it or otherwise hurt herself with it. But her smile brightened, seeing the little girl roll about on the floor. ”Ooh, you are going to be trouble, aren’t you little Miss?” she cooed at her, quickly replacing the yarn with a simple rounded toy that was soft but made a fun rattle noise when it moved – really it was just a stuffed ball with some rice inside she had sewn together. ”Well you can slowly introduce some other things, just make sure they are good and mashed. She should be starting to teeth soon so if she is extra fussy that’s why. Cold, damp cloths are good for chewing on to help her gums. If you’re really desperate you can wet your finger with a little brandy and run it along them too, but I would save that as an absolute last resort.” she said. Even as she spoke Phoebe continued the exam, gently feeling along Aoife’s limbs and joints and back, making sure she was developing well. And of course she was.

”Looking forward, he next few months are going to be a bit more difficult. She will be hitting the stage where her mind understands more than her body is capable of and they tend to get pretty frustrated. So expect some meltdowns and temper tantrums, but try and keep her occupied. Bright colors, lots of noise and movement, lots of talking or reading or little games. During this time she might get her days and nights mixed up too, so if you need a break just let me know, I will be happy to watch her for a little so you can catch up on sleep.” she said with a smile, starting the more difficult process of getting Aoife back into her clothes.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
"Maybe," Ronin agreed with a grin, glancing up from Sugar as she settled to gnaw gently on his fingers as they scritched her belly. He snorted at her comments about Aoife, wondering whether or not he ought to be worried that Phoebe already thought she was going to be a handful. At least she seemed happy with her development - that was the main thing here, after all. Aoife seemed to have her father's distractible nature, at least, oooooing at the toy Phoebe produced and shaking it about like she was the first one to ever discover it could make noise.

Ronin made mental notes about what would be good for Aoife in terms of introducing soft foods, though he wrinkled his nose at the prospect of her teething. Eeesh. "The brandy will probably be for me," he joked, though no sooner had he made a vague plan about what to feed his daughter when Phoebe bombarded him with... everything else. She would spot the way his expression did that vague 'checking-out' thing that suggested she'd lost him somewhere around bright colours, Ronin nodding just to show he had tried to follow.

"I will... definitely do that," he mumbled, glancing back at Aoife as she gave an unhappy howl at being dressed again - being practically naked was much more fun. "Hey, now," he soothed. "I hate wearing clothes too, but it's only polite."

Coding base by Sky!