Dark Diamond
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Information was what he had to try and find, and he should have been the best man for the job.

The world was not always so forgiving, though, and as mid-morning sun drifted through the air, reflected into the Guildhall by the mirrors that guided it from the southern window wells into the main hall, Jigano pored through the book with a desperation bordering on the obsessed.

The book was a gift from a goddess, its words imprinted on his mind, but still he searched its pages with an intensity that demanded the ancient script to give up more secrets, to tell him who had taken his friends, and why, and where they were now and how to get them back.

But all the book would say was that the people who lived in the woods had wings.

It was something but it wasn't nearly enough, and Isuma curled in her basket, miserable and silent as the kitten-sized gryphon with the owl head and wings and the snow leopard body watched her companion from worried golden eyes. As Jigano closed the book with deceptive gentleness and rose to pace restlessly across the stone floor in front of the hearth, thinking furiously and oblivious to the scuff of the door upstairs opening as someone made their way down the stairs.

Killian
Killian Soleil
Scout

Age: 27 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Zoa Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Killian had spent the past two weeks in a sort of limbo of emotions. Mostly, he’d been happy. A slew of new faces and friends that had shown him nothing but kindness, at first what he was unsure of became comfortable rather quickly thanks to those people. In fact the only times he’d felt truly lost was when he was alone and doing nothing, for when he was alone and still there was nothing to stop him from thinking about his old world. Regne du Jour and his past life were an ever present buzzing, that in the silence of solitude wailed shamelessly. The joy in reflecting on the good, then sadness in remembering it was lost. Joy in realizing that he’d left the bad bits behind, then sadness in realizing he hadn’t mended them. Every time he was alone and still, the memories of his old life returned to him, and made him feel that biting pain of inadequacy and longing, the teeth of insecurity that would take hold until something could distract him again.

The main thing he’d decided on, was that he had to find out who he was, without those memories, those insecurities. As a person; not the heir, or a soldier, not even a son. First things first was to find out what he was good at, how he could fit in with this new world. He’d tried plenty of things, thought over many options, but always went back to exploring, to scouting. Perhaps it was the freedom of body, of knowing that you can run until you find what you’re looking for - or maybe freedom of mind, of knowing that you can imagine until you find the thing you’ve thought of. Whatever it was, it felt right. And so this was his start, and being an optimist he didn’t plan on worrying about the next step until he’d successfully finished this one.

It was with this first step in mind that Kiki stepped to the door of the guildhall, hovering for a moment outside and toying with the brass ring. With a smile, the sun drop opened the door and began to make his way down the stairs. The bottom of the stairs lead out into a long and cheerily lit hall, warmth seemed to emit from the light sources and accentuated the long table at the middle of the room, which was covered in books. Everywhere, books. Killian still couldn’t believe that his search for a job had lead him to a library, but that of course wasn’t the point.

And of course, pacing around in thought, there was Jigano. He smiled, glad to see the silver haired man. Jigano has in fact, made an impression on Killian, he had just felt like someone to look up to, and appreciate. ”Hey! I hope you don’t mind me coming in, I was wanting to talk to you,” he said in a friendly tone, scratching absently at the back of his head.

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Isuma peeped a curious welcome to their guest in the hall, but it took Killian's voice to jerk the lorekeeper from his circling thoughts. Blue eyes found the new arrival, momentarily hard and cold in the shadows of the underground hall, but then he shifted into a beam of light and the ice melted from them as he recognized the tall young man who stood at the far side of the great table. Jigano blinked, caught for a moment between welcoming his friend and snarling back to his research, but he had already discovered that the books he had access to here held no more information he could use.

He was lost and grasping at straws for his answers, but he had spent too many years wearing masks to lose his even now. He didn't quite manage a smile, but he nodded to his guest, straightening and seeming to subtly shift back into a civilized scholar once more. There was a tightness about his eyes, however, a shadow that lingered in spite of his courteous half-bow of welcome.

"Killian," he said, surprised to see the young man again, though it would have been far more pleasant under better circumstances. "Things are a bit... unsettled right now. But no, of course I don't mind you coming in." Time was a precious commodity, ticking by, running out, but he drew in a slow breath, forcing himself to settle and calm down. He would be no help to anyone if he couldn't control himself.

And at this point he needed all the help he could get.

"Please, sit. What can I do for you?"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
The response that Killian received from Jigano, the slight sharpness to his gaze, came as a sort of surprise. Had he done something wrong? Fuck, he should've knocked first. Any worries however were quickly erased, when Jigano bowed and greeted him. So it wasn't anything that Killian had done, but something else that troubled the provost. Killian offered a concerned look as he walked around closer, "What's wrong?"

He stopped and pulled out a chair, sitting to face Jigano as the man essentially asked what he was doing here. Killian gave a half smile, it was obvious that he was excited about his resolve, but he'd been a little thrown off by the discontent of the lore seeker. A little hesitant to lay upon him what all he wanted to say, Killian began, "So I've been trying to find work, you know, and I keep thinking about that day I came here. When we went down in that chamber? And I don't know exactly what I should be doing, but I thought this was the best place to start."

He wasn't that great with saying what he felt, he was a more do it kind of guy. So instead of trying to explain further, he decided to just ask. "I was wondering if the guild would want another scout?"

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Though they had only met once before, Killian's concern seemed sincere and was all the more welcome for it, even though Jigano didn't know quite what to do with it. For the moment he only shook his head, sinking into a chair across from the young man and tilting his head in offer for his guest to continue. It didn't take him long to find words, and though he was a bit unpolished there was a raw charisma that shone through, along with the enthusiasm and eagerness of a friendly young hunting hound, bursting with energy and striving to be on the trail.

A place to start? It was indeed, or had been until recently. Jigano swallowed hard as the well-meaning boy's words plunged arrows into his chest, striking straight to the core of his guilt and self-recrimination. He took a slow breath, only years of practice keeping it from shaking as he folded his hands on the table in front of him to keep them from curling into helpless fists.

"I am honored that you would come to me and the Loreseekers," he began, blue eyes bleak as he looked across the table to meet Killian's gaze squarely. "And a day ago, I would have accepted your application gladly. But now..." He exhaled sharply, leaning back to find the words that needed to be said for the second time that day.

"Two of my guild are missing," he said, the words dropping like lead to fill the room with their echoing softness. "We had, in fact, gone on a scouting mission to the new woods. I trusted someone I should not have, and we were ambushed and my people were taken from me one by one. I still don't know if I truly escaped or if I was allowed to do so. I do not know if my guildmates are alive today." His hands flexed against the ancient, newly-polished wood of the tabletop, knuckles white with pressure. "I am going back after them, though." He drew in a careful breath, considering the bright ray of sunshine that was the newly arrived outlander before him. So young... but not a child. Killian was able to make his own choices, so long as Jigano was upfront with his information.

"This is not the safest of guilds," he said slowly. "As yesterday's events proved. But... I am in no position to turn down help, if you truly wish to offer it. But think carefully: is this truly what you wish, Killian of Regne du Jour? Are you sure there is no safer profession you would rather take up?"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
Killian was not blind to the tenseness of the provost, the way he had to clench his fists, and breathe deeply. And he could hear the 'but' coming longer before it came out of Jigano's mouth. Whatever was troubling him ran deep, and suddenly Killian wondered if he should've come at all. It was clearly a bad time, and maybe his request wasn't welcome at the moment. He started to recoil a little, but once Jigano began, speaking frankly and not beating around any bushes, Killian leaned back in to listen.

As Jigano explained, Kiki's brows knitted further in contemplation, his expression growing more solemn. The pressure that the lore seeker was under came from an expedition gone awry, with members having gone missing. This was troubling of course, he could tell it was eating up the provost. But Kiki was sure it wasn't his fault. On their exploration the other had been so cautious and thoughtful, trustworthy. Whatever had happened must've just been a terrible accident, or a misstep. And those kinds of things happened, in every sort of business.

Jigano finished, asking if this was truly what he wanted, and restating that safety could never be guaranteed. Killian glanced down for a moment, scratching absentmindedly at his jawline with his elbows on the table. He had put a whole lot of thought into this decision already, and safety had never been one of the pros or cons of any of his options. He'd disregarded it, perhaps it was naïve of him or maybe he was just brave. But even thinking it over now, taking into account the perils that this job might lead him to, Kiki's decision did not change.

He looked back up at Jigano, dropping his hand back to the table and nodded his head, "I'm sure. I want to be as much help as I can, especially if you need it, and I also want to explore so honestly feels like a win win to me," he said, his lips quirking into a soft smile.

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He was glad to see the young man taking his words seriously, expression furrowed in thought. If he had taken Jigano's words less seriously, brushed them off or taken the danger lightly, it would would have been a sign that he wasn't yet ready for the kind of work the guild did. To learn, to explore, to study, to scout - whether that meant in books, in speaking with others, or in physically mapping new places - or very, very old ones. But hastiness was not a good trait for a loreseeker regardless of their chosen method of pursuing knowledge...

Unless time was of the essence and the situation dire.

He watched Killian think, noting the little tic he seemed to have of scratching his chin - he had done it before, when they had first met and gone exploring, the lorekeeper recalled. Under better circumstances it might have brought a smile to his lips, but smiles were in short supply this day.

The answer, when it came, was no surprise. The young Outlander had come to his door determined, and not even having the risks brought home so starkly could dissuade him. That courage and stubbornness could both be good things, provided they didn't get out of hand.

"Very well then, Killian," he said solemnly, hoping desperately that the young man didn't come to regret his decision. "Then it is my honor and my pleasure to welcome you into the Loreseeker's Guild. A moment, please, while I get your badge." Pins that could be worn as collar flashes or brooches, as their wearer preferred, they echoed the design on the door - an open book of silver with rays of gold coming from its pages, all on a copper disk. He stood and slipped back into his office, returning a moment later to hand one of the badges over.

"Now... what shall I put in the directory as your specialties?" he asked, finally finding a tired smile for his recent friend and newest guildmate. "And have you found a place of your own yet?"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
Killian was beaming, he couldn't really help but be happy. He was doing something! He was finding his way and making his own decisions and it frankly felt great. He could imagine the dangers that might face him in the future, but he definitely wasn't at the moment. The only thoughts in his mind were on how many adventures he would have, and where he would go from there.

"Thank you," he said with a somewhat composed nod, then stood up to take the pin from Jigano. He turned it over a few times, running his thumb over the golden rays of the book, then looked down to pull the copper chain from his shirt. He pinned the badge of the chain, so it hung next to his ring, then smiled, and instead of tucking it back away he left it out.

Specialties? Oh, he didn't know he needed a specialty. Kiki's brows knitted, "Mmm," he buzzed uncertainly, his tongue slowly running over his lips as he thought, another absentminded quirk of his. "Just put... exploration?" he said, holding out the word in what was definitely more of a question than an answer. To Jigano's other question he had a real answer, "No, but uh working on it," he said, totally confident in the notion that he would find his own place, but really having no clue where to start.

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It was a different way of wearing the badge than his other guildmates had chosen, but it suited the eager young man, Jigano decided, holding to that small ray of light in his dark hour. "You're welcome. And thank you. The guild only exists because people offer their talents to it," he explained with that ghost of a smile. "To find answers, to seek out knowledge, and to share that knowledge to help others."

He sat back then, reaching for a nearby pile of fresh parchment and a writing stick, ready to record what Killian had to offer. The list was short, and the guildmaster tilted his head to the side with a slight softening of the tension at the corners of his eyes. "I can do that, certainly. It's a fine place to begin. But is there anything else you'd like to learn and become the resident expert in?" A question he usually asked with a smile, trying coax his guildmates into stretching themselves a little further. There was less humor, today, but his tone was still gentle. "Caiside has chosen to learn as much as he can about the local fauna, for instance. He's learning as he goes." Lips twitched, caught between a smile at the memory of his regal friend and a frown that the man named was among the missing.

"If you need help cleaning up one of the old buildings, just let me know," he said, nodding as Isuma crept from her basket and padded over to sniff at Killian's boots. "We'll help as best we're able." Once our missing ones have been found, he finished silently to himself. "Hopefully you'll get to meet the others soon. Samual Wordsworth is a slender, red-headed man who makes books. You won't see him out during the day as much, but he was one of our founding members along with Amalia... Amalia is one of the missing. She's a tall young women, perhaps half a foot or a little less shorter than us. Her eyes are dark and she has wavy blondish hair and the most striking cheekbones. She's a baker, and also a librarian of the Atheneum. Maea is the easiest to recognize, with her white skin and hair. She's a true albino, I believe, and a burgeoning mage. She is currently trying to set up a government here, so you might not see her around the Hall as much. Those three are all Naturals, native to this place. Aside from you and I, Caiside is the other Outlander officially within our ranks. He is the other one who is missing... a tall man, like myself, but with red hair and paler skin, and two scars on his forehead." Jigano tilted his head, glancing towards the stairs as if expecting to see some of them arriving as he spoke. "Vervain is in charge of the Infirmary here, and a powerful healer. She hasn't joined us officially yet on account of being busy having a baby recently, but when her life settles down I look forward to welcoming her as our expert on medical research." Though no one could ever take Isla's place, neither in the guild or in his heart. "And Ronin, the head of the Monster Hunter's Guild, is an ally of ours. When this is all... settled..." For the better, he fervently prayed, "I'll introduce you to him. I expect we'll work closely with his guild in the future when it comes to exploring."
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
You should put that on a shirt, Killian joked to himself, but to Jigano replied with a smile and a nod. It was a good mantra, and one that the golden boy could be proud of. He was proud of already.

The provost sat back in his chair, reaching for parchment to begin recording. Paperwork wasn't his favorite activity, but it had to be done. With a few jaunty steps, Killian moved to stand by Jigano, tilting his head to read what the man was writing. Of course, his casually abbreviated answer wasn't quite what they were looking for, and Kiki laughed a little when Jigano tried to coerce some more thought out of him.

"Well," he said, then stopped to let Jigano give an example. He noticed also the way the other's lips quivered at the mention of Caiside, and while he had become sidetracked with guild business, he then remembered that there were people who had gone missing. Was Caiside among them? His smile melted a little, as the solemnity sunk in once more, and his gaze became a bit more serious.

"other than exploration and scouting, I'm good with maps, and I enjoy making them," for a moment he recalled an old memory - mapping the palace courtyard, with a piece of parchment and in his hands and his mother by his side telling him which way the compass rose should point. "And I've also always been interested in widlife, I wouldn't mind trying to learn more, and maybe chronicle the species I meet?" he finished, once again in a questioning tone, to see if that was the kind of thing Jigano was hoping for.

Help finding his own living space would be greatly appreciated, "That would be amazing, thank you," he said, truly gracious. Despite being so extroverted, Killian had grown up an only child, a little isolated, and with his own space. He didn't miss having people tell him when and who he could commune with - however those orders weren't always obeyed - but he did miss having a place to call his own, to be alone in sometimes and to not have to share with anyone.

The sudden movement in his peripheral caught his attention, and what crept out of it left him with a look of awe plastered on his face. A small owl... cat thing, made it's way towards him and sniffed at his scuffed boots. He looked back to Jigano as the man described the other members of the guild, but he was having a hard time concentrating when this crazy little guy was snuffling around his feet. His expression remained attentive, but his eyes kept darting down to the snowy speckled beast.

Mostly he'd held on to names; Sam, Caiside, Amalia, Maea, Vervain, and some monster guy named Ronin. What they specialized in went in one ear and out the other, but he wouldn't forget the names - or that Caiside and Amalia were the two missing. He nodded when Jigano finished, "I hope I can meet them soon," with a bittersweet tone. He couldn't help but ask now, "And, is this... what is this" he said, pointing down to the chimera.

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
”So cartography and fauna?” Jigano wrote out, feeling a little better, both at learning more about Killian and at bringing a new guildmember into the fold. ”Perhaps you and… Caiside… can work together on that last one. Having overlapping specialties is useful, especially with things we get more common requests on, like new plants and animals.” He hesitated over Caiside’s name, but pushed ahead firmly, unwilling to believe that he wouldn’t get his friend back until it was proven otherwise to him.

Helping the newcomer clean up and repair a building to be a home was a dirty job, but one made faster and more fun with many hands to help speed things along. ”Just let us know when you’ve found a building you’d like to live in, and we’ll see what we can do to make it livable,” he said, the ghost of a smile back on his lips at Killian’s gratitude.

It took a moment for Jigano to realize that Isuma had captured the young man’s attention so thoroughly. She was certainly special to him, and seeing Killian’s awe brought an easing of the tension around his eyes as his smile grew a little warmer. Finding nothing to be wary of, the gryphlet stretched up on her hind paws, resting taloned foreclaws gently on the young man’s leg and turning cheerful yellow eyes up at him as she reep!ed a greeting. Jigano chuckled, the first sound of proper happiness he’d made since his friends had been taken.

”This is Isuma,” he introduced. ”She’s a gryphon, and my companion. I take it you didn’t have gryphons on your world? I should probably ask about dragons and unicorns while I’m at it…” he murmured thoughtfully.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
"Cartography and Fauna, sounds awesome. Thank you," he nodded as he spoke, a soft smile on his face as he watched the guildmaster record his answers. It sounded perfect actually, and would give him something to work for. He gave his gratitude once more when Jigano said he'd help with the house, and glad to see the smile on his friend's face.

Then there was the gryphlet, that adorable snowy creature that stretched it's way up his leg, looked him in the eye, and let out a squeakish reep! Kiki's heart melted, an open mouthed smile of awe and adoration plastered to his face. His honey brown eyes unable to move from the little thing, he shook his head in response to Jigano's question. No he most certainly did not have gryphon companions on his world, and he was kinda pissed to know that he'd been missing out all these years.

"No, but I probably shouldn't be surprised right?" he said, then crouched down to reach out a hand, hoping to scratch at her feathered head.

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
She was at it again, stealing hearts and making friends out of everyone she met, Jigano thought with rueful adoration for his little one, the love he felt for her overcoming even the worry he felt for his missing friends. Isuma happily butted her head against Killian's offered hand, demanding scritches behind her rounded feline ears and into the soft feathers of her head and neck. She was perfectly happy to be fussed over and her companion smiled weakly at how quickly she had captured Killian's attention. Normally he would have been stifling silent laughter, but with the current situation the smile was the best he could do.

"Companions here are, ah, something rather special," Jigano explained, the smile lingering as the gryphlet purred into Killian's touch. "Some creatures may form a special bond with you, far beyond that of a simple pet. Isuma can feel my emotions, as I can feel hers, and we can communicate in images and sense memories, even see through each other's eyes at times. She's smarter than any normal animal as well... though she's still very young. She only hatched this past Deepfrost, and hasn't learned to fly yet," he admitted fondly. "One of her good friends is a dragonling who bonded to the leader of the Monster Hunter's Guild. Another is the... unicorn, Isla," his voice hitched oddly as he said the name, even the weak smile fading. "She is... bonded... to Remi the alchemist."
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
The gryphlet pushed into Killian's outstretched hand, eagerly accepting all the love he was willing to give her. She was very soft, his fingers running through the feathers of her cheeks and scratching behind her ears. He couldn't help but smile the whole time he looked at her, she was absolutely precious. Hands continued to scratch at the gryphon kit wherever she saw fit as Kiki turned his honey gaze back to Jigano.

His eyes widened with amazement as he explained the bond between companions, possibly one of the coolest things he'd ever heard. "How did you find her?" he asked, to know more about Isuma's story specifically but also hoping to learn more about if, when and where he could find a companion creature. The hitch at the mention of a unicorn Isla didn't go unawares, Killian's own smile fading a little.

"Is everything... ok with them?" he asked, his head cocked a hint to the side. He knew Jigano was distraught over the missing persons in the great wood, but he wondered if something else bothered him too.