[SE][OPEN] Over Under
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
I know I am good at something, I just haven't found it yet
Catching the sun...it seemed an odd tradition but she wouldn't scoff at it. If this is what the Fae did, and they were now neighbors, she would do her best to help. So Phoebe went out to the fields, a basket she already had for reference in her hands. Emmett had been kind enough to tell her where she could find some good grasses to pick for the task and she quickly gathered what she needed and sat to do the work.

She understood the basics of weaving, though weaving baskets was new. The midwife was more skilled in making various textiles rather than hard goods like this. But certainly the concept would be the same? Over, under, over, under - she carefully worked the reeds together, glancing at the basket she had to follow the pattern.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Jiao liked Longheat, liked the traditions. While she had grown up and knew that the sun could not actually be captured...sometimes it was nice to look up at the sky and imagine, smile to herself as she remembered jumping up into the air with a basket, before she could fly. She still made a basket every year, decorated it and placed it outside her shop so that the sunlight would hit it - perhaps a lazy version of the tradition, but participation nonetheless.

Usually she used materials from the forest for her baskets, strong grasses, bark, leaves...but she thought she might wander into what used to be the barrier, see if there was anything like new flowers or scraps there to improve her craft.

As Jiao stepped into the fields, ready to begin her search, she caught sight of a blonde head of hair, lit by the sunlight, studiously working away on a basket of her own. It was...simple, very clearly her first try. But it was still roughly basket-shaped, so it was better than most first tries.

Slowly, she approached, smiling to herself as she imagined it. This girl trying to do something like the Fae, only to be surprised by one! When she was close enough to be heard, Jiao flew herself up into the air for a moment. "Hey! What're you making that basket for?" It might be fun to feign ignorance - she could not tell lies, but a question was not a lie. Phoebe could well be making the basket for anything.
Jiao
And we'll dance on the ceiling
With everything, everything, everything we can
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
"Hey!"

Phoebe looked up from her work, a little jump in her shoulders indicating she was startled. She'd been quite wrapped up in her work after all. But when she looked around, her brows furrowed in confusion. Who had called out to her? Her lips pursed for a moment, thinking someone was being funny and playing a trick on her, hiding in the tall grass. But then she heard the voice again and looked up, eyes widening to see a Fae a flying above her! For a moment she was clearly stunned to silence. She hadn't seen a Fae fly before and it was truly fascinating.

But then she remembered her manners and blushed, chiding herself internally for staring. "O-oh! Hello! U-uhm...well I am trying to make a basket to catch the sun." she said, suddenly self conscious of the very simple basket she had started. "It's my first one so...I might make a better one once I've the hang of it." she said in way of explanation of its simplicity, hoping not to offend her. "My name is Phoebe by the way."
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

When Jiao saw Phoebe finally catch eyes on her, jump and blush, she grinned. It was so great to make an impression, especially on a young pretty girl. She twirled as she slowly sunk down to earth (which she tried to make seem as if she was deigning to come down to Phoebe's level, not that she was tired, which was the real reason).

"Ohh. You do know that's mostly for kids, right?" While the idea of a bunch of barrier-people trying to catch the sun for real made her giggle, Jiao also thought it might actually be too cringeworthily embarrassing to watch. "I mean, you can make one, but you don't usually use it properly unless you're a kid. And you look kinda young, but....not a baby."

She floated down to sit cross legged next to Phoebe. "You can make it sturdier if you weave in another piece sideways, like this." Despite her chidings, Jiao leaned into show Phoebe what she meant, holding up a piece of grass and slotting it in the already-there woven holes, making the sides stronger.
Jiao
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe’s cheeks flared a darker shade of red. For…for children?? ”Oh…” she said a little lamely, eyes looking down at the beginnings of the basket she had. Would the Fae just think her foolish then? Trying to participate in their traditions to win their favor, only to be called childish was a bit wounding to her pride. The Fae woman followed it up with a further explanation that only sort of made her feel better. ”I was just…well I had heard that the Fae don’t like us very much so I was trying to do something to…maybe build a little cultural bridge…so to speak…” she said quietly, feeling frustrated. It seemed her efforts just might be cause for further ridicule.

But to her surprise the woman sat in front of her and offered her assistance, placing a reed in a spot she would not have thought to. As if by magic, the whole piece seemed less flimsy in her hands and was much easier to manipulate. She smiled brightly, making a note to remember this. ”Oh…thank you.” she said, smiling at the Fae woman. ”What’s your name, by the way?” she asked.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

I heard that the Fae didn't like us very much...

Jiao was surprised to hear Phoebe say this, not because it was wrong, but because she had not known any of the humans had had the intelligence or curiosity to yet find out how unpopular they were in Sidhe. While she knew many of the elders would wrinkle their nose at Phoebe's attempts, see it as stealing, her heart was a little softened by the idea of the girl making baskets to try and fit in.

The basket did look better with her advice, anyway. Maybe once Phoebe had finished trying to 'capture the sun', she could use it for something else.

"Jiao. I live in Sidhe. I've not been in this place much...and I don't like it a lot either." With a sigh and a glance about the fields, she looked back to Phoebe. "You seem okay though. What do you do, Phoebe? I hope it isn't basket making." There was a softer tone in her voice that stopped this jibe from being too cruel, a little smile on her lips as she leaned backwards.
Jiao
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe smiled softly at Jiao and nodded. ”Yes, it seems most folk from outside this are find it eerie here.” she said. She had heard of this from Roana, who had of course told her about her brief time outside the barrier and why her new friend with the merchant wagon did not like coming very far in. It made sense that the Fae wouldn’t like it much either. ”What is Sidhe like? I was transported to this place from another world so I’m still learning…well and the barrier didn’t help that.” she said.

Her brows furrowed as she worked a reed through a particularly difficult spot in the basket.

At the little joke Phoebe laughed and shook her head. ”Oh no! I’m a midwife. You might want to find someone else for your basket needs, but if you know anyone expecting I am the one to send for.” she said with a smile.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Sidhe is..." Jiao began, then paused, unsure of how to continue. How did you explain your home when you knew nowhere else? It was just, well, Sidhe. But that wasn't very helpful, so she tried her best to visualise it. "It is built into the trees. There's a lot of platforms and ladders and nature. There is a bodega for shops, next to the water, and um...the houses aren't shaped like the ones here."

A midwife, Phoebe said, and Jiao wrinkled her nose. She had never cared for the whole business of childbirth, thinking it quite gross and uncomfortable, something she didn't fancy going on within her own body. "...You...must like babies then?" She asked, trying to find as neutral of a question as she could for the subject.

Idly she began to pick blades of grass, small nimble fingers tying them together with the goal of making a little doll, something she had done many times as a child.
Jiao
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe listened to Jiao describe Sidhe with rapt attention, only glancing away every now and then to check her work. Slowly but surely a basket was being formed. ”It sounds fantastical, like a place out of a storybook.” she said with a warm smile towards the Fae woman. ”Things here must seem pretty drab compared to that.” she said, nodding a little to herself. Really, the Hollowed Grounds couldn’t compete, having been separated from the world for so long.

She laughed a little at Jiao’s reaction to her work. ”Yes I do like babies. It is very fulfilling work but certainly not for everyone.” she said with a smile, not in the least offended by her obvious distaste for it. It really did take a certain disposition to do well. ”And what about you? What do you do?” she asked, looking down at her basket. Her brows furrowed as she carefully fought with a particularly difficult portion of the weaving.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"I guess. To me it's just home. ...Sanctuary is a bit like a place from a book too, but not a good place." Like somewhere the main character would go to see the horrors of the earth then grow and get out of there. Not the final wonderful paradise they would end up in (she wasn't sure if this was Sidhe, but it sure as anything wasn't Sanctuary).

Phoebe...liked babies? Jiao didn't really understand. They were loud and smelly, often wet and sticky, and took a very long time to become anything worth talking to.  She supposed someone had to like them so they'd keep getting made, but her lack of understanding was clear on her face.

"I'm a seamstress. I make clothes. I made this dress I'm wearing, and all the accessories too." She held out the skirt of her dress, then her wrists, which were adorned with a lot of elegant bracelets made from wire and gems. "Everyone from here seems to wear the colours dark green and brown exclusively. It's so boring. I might try and sell here...maybe with Ianto. Do you know him?"
Jiao
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe smiled a little and nodded in understanding. "I think it is fair to say that when you live somewhere your whole life, the charm of the place can go unnoticed sometimes." she said. People had always called the place she grew up quaint and charming - mostly rich nobles who passed through on their way to and from larger, grander cities - but she had never really seen it that way. It was just her home, nothing more nothing less. With each passing day, the Hollowed Grounds seemed much the same. Those outside the barrier had their opinions of the place, and yet to her it seemed almost predictable now. Almost.

"You made all that?" Phoebe said clearly in awe. "You're so talented! It's all beautiful." she said brightly with a wide smile. At the mention of Ianto she grinned and nodded. "I am acquainted with him, yes. I think you would do very well trading such beautiful things here...as you said there is definitely a market for such things here." she said, laughing lightly. She herself didn't quite fit in, wearing pastel colors of other shades. But her dress was still very simple and plain, without much in the way of adornment. Once upon a time she had pretty things to wear, but they were all long gone, left back in the world from which she was plucked.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Mmm. There is still things I like about Sidhe...especially when I see Sanctuary, but..." Jiao shrugged. "Sometimes I think it'd be fun to be an Outlander, but to somewhere else. Find all new places." She was jealous of the opportunity the Outlanders had, annoyed that so many of them spent their time upset over their losses and not excited for what they had gained.

She smiled wide as Phoebe praised her dress, smiling and tilting her head, hand on her chest as she posed. "Thanks. Well, I might be selling some clothes on Ianto's stall soon, so do look out for that. Soon everyone here might be dressed in my clothes." Clearly this fantasy pleased her, the faraway smile on her face telling.

"If you had a date or something coming up though, I could maybe make you something custom. Someone you wanted to impress..." Jiao looked Phoebe down, unsure if she was the kind of girl who would want to look seductive. She was a bit 'farm girl', but she guessed you never knew. "I could make you something, for a price. Plunging neckline and a slit up the leg, nice colours...you know, bam."
Jiao
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe smiled a little as Jiao fantasized about being an Outlander in a strange land. ”That’s a little bit how I feel about the Greatwood and Sidhe.” she pointed out, grinning at her. ”It’s beautiful and unique and new…I wish there was a way our people could come together so we could all coexist peacefully.” she said with a little sigh. Then she could explore the Greatwood. She could see Sidhe. She could adventure!

But alas, here she was stuck.

”Oh I will definitely be looking! You make such beautiful things – I will be sure to spread the word too.” she said with a grin. That she might make her something so flashy though made Phoebe’s face turn crimson. ”O-oh…well…I-I mean there is someone…I wouldn’t mind impressing but…I’m sort of modest I don’t…I don’t know if I could do plunging or slits…” The confidence was lacking for her to wear something that showy, but she clearly liked sparkle and color. ”What sort of price?”
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Oh, they will. Don't worry about that." Jiao waved her hand dismissively, rolling her eyes. "People in the marketplace will realise it's new customers and Delah and her cronies will get over it eventually. I...don't like all the humans, but it's not as bad as they're all making out, I don't think." She shrugged, sticking out her tongue as she snapped the blades of grass on the top of her doll to make spiky hair.

There was someone Phoebe wanted to impress and Jiao leaned forward with mischevious light in her eyes, ready to find out more. "You could definitely do plunging. You have a chest, don't you?" She glanced down - admittedly Phoebe was not the most curvy person around, but she was far from ugly. Jiao was sure with the right styling she could be made irrestible.

"Hmmm. Well, I don't need any help with babies...maybe you could bring me something from your world? Do you have anything? That might be interesting." She wanted to start a collection of items from other worlds, thought it would be a wonderful talking point on her shelf.
Jiao