Beneath the Strawberry Moon
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
They had survived the Woods and the Fae, retrieved their friends and guildmates (and some other man who had been in the Pit), and returned to the Settlement in triumph, or at least in one piece, which was all Jigano had wanted from the rescue mission. Even if it had turned out that most of their friends didn't need 'rescuing' in the traditional sense after all. He was proud of his people - both those who had freed themselves, and those who had been willing to risk danger and the unknown to go after others.

And he and Samuel had made a few plans for what they would do when they were safely back again. There were things they needed to talk about, and it was long past time for the bookmaker to meet Jigano's companion. He had left a note for his friend in the Guild to let him know he would come over the next evening, and now he stood outside the bookshop with Isuma balanced on his padded shoulder, her long tail wrapped around his neck for balance like a pale scarf. It wasn't the most comfortable accessory in the summer heat, but at least with the sun disappearing behind the horizon the worst of it was dissipating into a refreshing night breeze.

One golden-skinned hand tapped the shop door before the bard slipped inside, looking around for Samuel and Mia, and careful of any customers who might be perusing the shelves. "Hello?" he called quietly, tilting his head as he took in the many improvements that had been made to make the shop cozy and neat since they had first cleaned it out all those months before. "Sam, are you here?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Sam had, despite his rational side (which was growing by the day but was still easily stomped out), immediately become anxious upon seeing Jigano's note. Even though they had been successful in their mission and had made plans afterwards, he could not shake the idea that his friend now rather hated him. The words 'your own two hands' rang in his ears over and over again, the harsh reality of the judgement coming to him when he first woke up and when he was laid in bed at night.

The worst part was he could not even deny the accusation. And he would have to continue seeing Jigano, both because he was his friend and guildmaster, but also because he had to speak to him of Remi's warning.

He spent the whole day waiting for Jigano in a haze, helping customers as if in a trance. Books passed hands and shelves were cleaned, but Sam was not really there. At least not until he heard the knock on the door and stiffened, turned with suddenly-alert eyes to see Jigano enter. He smiled, but with no real strength to it.

"Yes, I am." Sam called out, stepping out from the books he had been seeing to. "Please, come in, and could you turn the sign around the door? It is close enough to my closing time anyway." With this task given, Sam approached, then saw Isuma. His steps faltered and he stared with wide eyes at the creature, both majestic and a little terrifying in her strangeness. "I...um...I assume that is Isuma?"

Samuel
He took a step but then felt tired
He said, I'll rest a little while
But when he tried to walk again
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Though Sam's admission of taking a fancy brick to the temple of his former father figure in cold blood had shaken Jigano badly, it had not sunk in as deeply as the bookmaker feared, in large part due to the crisis facing the Guildmaster at the time. Once that had been successfully brought to a close and the bard was given time to think back on their previous conversation he had come to the conclusion that the past could not be changed and he would need to keep an eye on Sam in the future to learn more about his 'disassociating' tendency. That didn't change that they were friends, however, or that he was eager to see the kindly ginger and share some of the pieces of him that he had kept hidden for so long.

He smiled at his friend as Sam emerged from the books, the image so natural and comfortable it reminded him of the first time they had met in the Atheneum. "Done and done," he agreed easily, turning the sign as indicated before he shut the door and stepped forward. Isuma peeped cheerfully, curious and excited to meet this dear friend of her companion's as she leaned precariously forward on the bard's shoulder, wings starting to extend to help her balance until the white-haired man reached up to detach her foretalons from his shoulderpad and support her in his hands, offering her gently towards Sam in case he wanted to pet her - and to let her examine the bookmaker more closely with her bright golden eyes.

She was still somewhat of a kittenish snow leopard in appearance, but some of her baby roundness was giving way to sleek length and a full set of juvenile plumage on her owl's head and wings, all traces of her down now gone and the hint of the deep blue her primaries would become already showing. "Isuma, meet Sam, my oldest friend on Caido," Jigano introduced formally, a smile twinkling in his eyes. "Sam, meet Isuma, my companion and daughter of my heart." For a man who disliked children it was the closest he would likely ever come to raising one, and he didn't particularly care if it scandalized anyone."Where is Mia tonight?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

As Isuma was brought forward to him, Sam leaned in and slowly, nervously reached up a finger to pet the top of her head. "Well, hello, Isuma. You are very fortunate to have such a father." He knew he'd certainly prefer Jigano to his own biological one. At Jigano's question he turned around to look and saw Mia just stepping down off the stairs, coming boldly to investigate the newcomer in the shop. "Ah, here she is."

Meowing she twirled around Sam's legs then looked up at Isuma. "I do believe she's rather curious about her." With a little smile he reached down to pick Mia up and hold her closer to Isuma, the cat sniffing and tilting her head at Jigano's 'daughter'.

"Do you have time to stay for a drink?" Sam asked. "There's something I need to speak with you about."

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano beamed proudly at Sam's compliment, and Isuma tilted her head into the petting as the bookmaker's gentle finger sank into her soft feathers. She peeped a faint protest when the Ascended man pulled away to pay attention to someone else, but her momentary disappointment faded as Mia caught her attention and her rounded ears perked forward in a curious and friendly manner.

"The sentiment is definitely shared," Jigano chuckled, shifting his hands as Isuma stretched in his gentle hold to try and peer down at the kitten. She was delighted when Samuel picked her up and brought her level with the gryphon, giving Mia a friendly chirrup as she was sniffed at.

"I had hoped we might find some time to talk tonight," Jigano admitted with a smile for his friend. "With the danger behind us, I was looking forward to spending some time with my friends catching up, before the next big project steals our time from us. I don't regret founding the Loreseekers, but I am sorry that it feels like much of our interactions have come to revolve around our guild duties rather than our friendship. And if you have some of that lovely apple tea that you make handy, I would love a cup." He set Isuma down gently - or tried to, at least. She insisted in jumping down before he'd leaned over halfway, wings fluttering to slow her leap so she could sit back on her haunches and look up entreatingly at Mia, hoping the other kitten would come down and play while the adults talked.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"Oh, I understand. With everything that's happened...it can be hard, I think, to remember to be a friend and a person sometimes." He smiled and put Mia back down near Isuma so they could properly meet each other. He watched with a parental eye as the two walked toward each other, still a little nervous until he saw them happy together, Mia not murdered in five minutes.

He walked over to the table in the back, fetching a kettle that had been boiled not too long ago and still had tea at a drinkable temperature. Moving several book-making supplies out of the way, knives and pages and rulers, he had made a place for them to sit where they could keep an eye on the 'kids'.

Pouring out two cups of tea, he motioned for Jigano to sit. "Before we speak of anything else, though, I would like to talk to you of something that could be quite urgent. I'm not sure. It's about the rescue mission, and Arduinna."

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Thank you for understanding," the bard said, with a sketched half-bow somewhat ruined by the wriggling gryphlet in his hands, relieved and grateful at his friend's sincerity. "I am... it has been a long time since I have let myself have friends and I fear I've not always remembered how to treat them as well as they deserve." It was a tentative sort of apology, uncertain if Samuel wanted or needed one, or if Jigano was simply being overly cautious with a friend who could sometimes surprise him with inner strength just as often as with porcelain fragility.

His attention was taken by the companions, though he wasn't too worried. He could sense Isuma's innocent curiosity and enthusiasm to make a new friend, and Mia seemed a gentle and friendly creature. Isuma was older and larger, but not by much, and she was happy to examine Mia in turn as the kitten examined her and the two seemed to come to the decision that they liked each other.

Jigano followed Sam, keeping an eye behind him occasionally as Isuma sat back and tried to engage Mia in a gentle game of pounce-the-dust-bunny. her long tail sweeping along the floorboards and her wings occasionally flexing in emotive body language. "Arduinna?" he asked curiously, settling into the offered chair and looking quizzically back to his friend. "She hasn't contacted me yet, though I suppose she may be biding her time. I'd hoped we could barter with her before we left the Woods, but once we gathered everyone out of the pit I couldn't find her again," he admitted with a slight grimace of disappointment in himself. "I admit, I dislike leaving a debt unpaid, especially with how much she helped us that day. But what information have you found?" He was more than a little proud that the bookmaker had sought out the information, however he'd done so, even after the emergency had passed. Although Sam had made mistakes that gave Jigano pause at times, there was no doubt in his mind that the ginger man belonged in the Loreseekers.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"You needn't worry about that, Jigano. You are a very fine friend." Sam reassured, smiling and nodding softly. He did not have much experience of friends, but from what he knew Jigano was indeed a good one.

Mia was a little cautious but quickly took to the game with Isuma, pouncing with just as much gusto as the bigger companion and happily trilling out excited meows. Sam, feeling her joy, was content that she would be ok and entirely focused on Jigano.

"Well...I was speaking to Remi recently, and he has experience with Arduinna. Or at least knowledge of her. And he told me she is prone to tricks and cruelty. He was... rather upset that we had made a deal with her." Sam tapped out a nervous little pattern on the side of his teacup. "I know we have already made the deal, but I believe we should be cautious in the future before accepting any more help."

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
”As are you, Sam. Thank you again for coming with me to find our Guildmates,” the bard said warmly, settling in with his tea and toasting the bookmaker with a smile before sipping the apple-scented brew with a contented sigh. The companions were happily at play, and Jigano might have relaxed completely, if he hadn’t been considering a shift in their conversation he wasn’t quite sure how to start…

But Samuel beat him to it, taking a different path than the Provost had expected. Jigano’s brow twitched curiously at the mention of Remi, but he focused on the description of Arduinna with a faint frown. ”That does sound unsettling,” he agreed slowly, tilting his head to the side in thought. ”I think… an argument might be made for you and Killian, perhaps, that you did not ask for help, and made no offer of recompense. Certainly, if I am able to, I will make that distinction. You were swept along by our quest, but it wasn’t that she helped you directly. Deimos and I will need to face her squarely, but I’ll do what I can to spare you two, at least.” Jigano was not so noble that he wouldn’t try to find a way out of paying any price too high. He had a strong feeling that, had Arduinna not interfered, his birds could have led them through the shifting wood that was their home… but he also had to admit that Delah and her hidden warriors would have claimed them without Arduinna’s protection. And he was honorable enough to want to repay a debt owed, even if, at the time, their guide had made no mention of one until he had offered story or song. Semantics might be the saving of them yet, if things were as bad as Remi thought…

But Arduinna’s help had been fey and wild, a force of glorious chaos that she had been under no obligation to provide. True, she had laughed when Jigano had fallen and Killian nearly charmed by the tricks of the Woods that adored her so, but she had also admonished the warchief to give them hospitality in the village…

And a cold welcome that had been, another point to bargain with.

”I agree, though. And hopefully our future won’t include such dire circumstances again any time soon!” Bargains they could take or leave, or haggle before accepting, were always far preferred to those they were rushed into blindly. ”As you said before we left on that venture, you have many books to make now,” Jigano added, changing the topic tosomething hopefully safer with a smile for his busy guildmate.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Sam returned the toast with a similarly content smile, thinking to himself that it was probably the first toast he'd ever been a part of in his life. Perhaps traditionally they were not done with teacups, but he found himself perfectly happy with it.

"I suppose, but I would not...I don't want to shrug off my responsibilities onto you...if Arduinna sees it as us as a group asking for help, I would not..." He paused, chewing at his lip and staring into his tea. The small and scared part of him very much wanted to give the blame to someone else and run away, but he knew it wasn't the right thing to do. "If she asks for me to pay something back, I will."

Jigano seemed eager to move on, which he supposed wasn't all that surprising - their potential doom was not the most cheery subject, after all. "Yes. I do. I've been preparing the pages for the mythology collection I wish to make-- ahh, here-" Sam reached for a pile of papers on the desk, some hundred high, each treated with a colourful border of leaves and berries around the edge. Some of them bore flowers too, in reds and blues. "I still need to bind and write, but this is...a lot of the work. It's really quite meditative, when you sit down in an evening and do it."

"And what will you do, now that our Guildmembers are back?"

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It was truly nice to sit with a friend without work or crisis hanging over their heads, even if only for a few minutes. To drink tea and bask in being alive and whole and in good company, lit by a cheerful fire and out of the weather, whatever it might be outside. The bard had rarely had a chance to enjoy such peaceful moments since coming to Caido, or in the seven years preceding his arrival, and he cherished this one for as long as it would last.

Which wasn't nearly long enough, as it turned out. There was always another threat, another dire mystery that needed to be solved, another emergency looming on the horizon. Arduinna's unexpectedly wicked reputation was something he had not seen coming, but should have done more to mitigate, another failure in his role as Guildmaster that had led two more of his colleagues and friends into danger. His sober expression over his teacup softened at the nobility of Sam's decision, but he gave a small shake of his head in negation. "It is a brave thing to offer, my friend, and honorable, but as Provost this falls on my shoulders and is my responsibility for calling on you and Killian. Please, if she does find you before she comes to me, tell her that I will be the one to pay any debts accrued on that journey by members of the Loreseeker's Guild. That is the price of leadership, and one I decided I was willing to pay when I formed our Guild." And he did not like to think of what Arduinna might ask his shy, gentle friend to do for her, if she discovered his abilities.

In an attempt to return their conversation to a brighter note he brought up the bookmaker's upcoming projects, and happily accepted the papers that his friend had been illuminating, making murmured sounds of appreciation and admiration of the work that had gone into them. "These are beautiful! The details are exquisite. These blue flowers are particularly lovely," he added, gently shuffling the pages to prevent them from becoming scratched or smeared as he looked over the artwork. "I should request blue flowers and crescent moons for my page in the Guild Chronicle," he added with a twinkle in his eyes as he looked to his friend. "And what designs will you choose for yourself?"

The question aimed at him earned a wry smile as he handed the pages back with care. "There are answers to find and lore to seek even if our ability to deal with the Fae is currently limited. If they do not wish us to go through the Woods, then we should turn our attention to the coast to the east, and perhaps see if sailing is a skill we can learn. Much of the Underground is still unmapped and waiting exploration as well. Vervain has spoken of wanting to join our Guild, and I need to meet with her about that, and Killian and I discovered another section underneath the main floor of the Atheneum that I've been meaning to gather the Guild together to investigate," the Provost explained wryly. "Where I'm going to find the time to do it all in addition to more personal matters I don't know... I suppose I'll have to set priorities and see when everyone's schedules allow for things." He arched a brow at Samuel , smile lingering as he glanced to the companions playing happily with a poor little beetle that had trundled out from beneath the spiral stairs at the wrong moment. "What of you? In between your book work, does any of that sound like something you'd be interested in joining in? Or do you have any ideas for activities the guild might undertake in the next season or two?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"...Alright, though I doubt she will come to me anyway." Sam said, mostly trying to reassure himself, for he was still not sure he'd actually be able to toss Jigano into the lion's den if he had a chance to take on the debt himself. As much of a coward as he was, he always found that the mental maths of worthiness in his head ended with him sacrificing himself for another.

He smiled at Jigano admiring his work, privately glad for the validation. "Oh, well of course. I'll remember to do that." Sam casually agreed, as if he had not already finished Jigano's page. He was the leader, after all, and had been the first to be completed. But it didn't matter. If it was what his best friend wanted, Sam would do it. He liked to illustrate the borders anyway. "I think for myself..I would choose water, and stars."

Jigano listed out ideas for tasks, quests, adventures. All of them ready to terrify and excite, Sam wasn't sure what the emotion inside him as he heard them was. He took a sip of tea as he considered his answer. "..I have never seen the ocean. I would quite like to try and go there...though it would have to be during the night, as I understand they tend to be quite sunny places." He watched Mia and Isuma pickup and drop the beetle between themselves and laughed, shook his head.

"I think I have enough projects on at the moment. But I'm sure there will be new ideas soon...what is it that most appeals to you? Oh, and..." Sam rubbed the back of his neck. "I...could I ask you something personal?"

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano nodded fervently in agreement, also hoping that Arduinna would leave Sam alone, but not daring to assume that they would be so lucky. Then again, perhaps she would not be so bad as Remi seemed to think? The alchemist might once have described the bard in much the same terms. Perhaps still did, away from Jigano's face.

...No. No, he was trying to make the effort to bridge that divide. Cordiality and no longer assuming the worst about the flighty young man. He had clearly meant well in warning Sam, and now the bookmaker was trying to make sure his friend was aware of the danger and could prepare for it as well.

Jigano had not yet seen the Chronicle book Samuel kept reassuring him was being worked on, and didn't know how far along the loreseeker was with it. Given all that had been occurring since the Guild's inception he had assumed that his friend had been working on recording the text of things first, the truly important lore of the guild, and only when he had caught up with that would he go back to add embellishments that beautified and enhanced the text. It hadn't crossed his mind that Sam might dawdle over art on the Guild roll pages when there was so much else to do, but he trusted his friend to know what was important and what was frippery, and he would continue to do so until he was given reason to double-check his colleague's work.

"Water and stars sound lovely," he agreed, warmth in his voice. "Bright and mysterious, reflected light and hidden depths. A most perspicacious choice." They suited Samuel well, though Jigano knew his humble friend might try to brush off the quiet nobility of the images those aspects invoked. That, too, was a part of the bookmaker after all.

He chuckled at his companion's little joke about the ocean, nodding in agreement. "I'm sure a beach at night as just as nice," he reassured. "Under bright moonlight and a clear sky." Or so he guessed, having no real experience of it himself to draw upon.

"Mmm... bringing in Vervain, I think. And doing something together as a Guild. Exploring within the familiarity of the Atheneum, perhaps, or a night of sharing our expertise with each other, everyone gathered in one place for once." Something he wasn't sure had ever happened since that first adventure to claim their Hall. Even though not everyone got along, it would still be nice for a short while, and perhaps he could find some activities to keep people distracted... His musing was interrupted by an unexpected question that quirked the corners of his lips into a wry smile. "You can ask, of course. I won't guarantee an answer, but I'll try. What is it?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"Oh, um, well, I--" Sam awkwardly stumbled through his reaction to Jigano's interpretation of his decorative choices, unsure if any of those words were really all that appropriate for him. Stuck between pleased and embarrassed, he smiled and bit at his nail, looking down to the floor. "I don't know about all that."

He nodded. Most things were just as nice at night. Or at least he hoped so - he had not had the chance to experience a lot of things at day and had little to compare with.

Sam smiled agreeably to Jigano's ideas, thinking it might be nice to do some more lowkey activities together as a guild. Maybe meet up for a drink and discuss knowledge, or get everyone to write their own introductions in the chronicle, or...well, it didn't matter what they did, as well as it wasn't potentially deadly.

He cleared his throat awkwardly before asking his question. "Well, it's just..when did you become involved with Amalia? I rather thought you were together with Rory, but...are you all together? I would not judge that." Sam thought that sounded like a lot of work, but if it was what his friend wanted to do...

Samuel
He wasn't a child