Personal Quest [SE] The highest highs
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

R E M I

Remi had placed a notice on the notice board asking for animal voices to lend themselves to a very particular song for Safrin. Though it might be a morbid place to sing and rejoice, in fact  Remi could think of nowhere more meaningful than the broken top of the Spire. It had taken almost everything from him, and standing at the top of it begging for a goddess who had shown mercy on his friend to let the days continue to grow long seemed like a fine way to spend his evening.

As night finally fell and the stars twinkled out against the blue-velvet sky, a rather large golden lion sat at the base of the Spire, ember eyes peering out expectantly into the dark.

This is an attuned only PQ! Come roar/squeak/bark/trill/whatever your praise for Safrin for LongHeat at the top of the Spire!

1. Remi
2. Ianto
3. Caiside
4. Amalia
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
IANTO
As if Ianto was going to miss this.

Granted... he almost had missed it, in fact. The Spire was the heart of hearts when it came to the Hollowed Grounds, and he didn't know how he felt about being so close to it, let alone climb it. But this was a request from a man he trusted more than he trusted himself, half the time. So Ianto set off.

On inky black paws, the fox padded through the ashy ground towards the base of the Spire, golden eyes catching the moonlight every now and then. When they landed on Remi, Ianto let out a yip of greeting, breaking into a trot to reach his friend more quickly.

You would pick a place like this, he remarked, moving to sit directly between the lion's two big forepaws, plonking himself down and lolling back against the tawny fur.
where are your gods now

Coding base by Sky!
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
Caiside
The woods are lovely dark and deep
But I have places to see
And miles to go before I sleep

The message left on the board in town had piqued Caiside’s interest, dragging feet that very quickly became hooves into the dusk. At worst, he learned a little more about the traditions of this place, and at best well... honestly he didn’t know what could be better than the chance to learn something about Caido.

The scent of predators reached him before the sight did, dimly familiar golden fur appearing out of the darkness as Caiside approached. His ears flicked back, the slightest tremor of irritation running through him before he bit it back. The last (and honestly only) time he had seen this shape before had been with the bookmaker, and his feelings towards the man were sour to say the best.

Caiside could be civil, would be civil, and so inclined his head briefly in greeting. Good evening. His mental voice was smooth, but carefully neutral, his mind pressing him more towards caution with two strangers. He turned to look up the spire. Being so close made him uncomfortable, reminded him of the buzz the barrier had had when it had been up. This... will be safe then, right?”
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

R E M I

Not able to properly grin, Remi merely bared a fanged smile as the fox approached. Though they likely looked quite the odd pair—towering lion and sly fox—Remi leaned down to nuzzle and drag a whiskered-cheek against the fox's neck. I would, yes. It is the highest place I could think of. I hope you are ready for some exercise. Remi thought with a wicked mental-grin.

Glancing up towards the elk—Remi had never encountered Caiside in this form, and really didn't actually know him out of it anyhow—and nodded. Yes. Or at least, the Spire has not done much of anything since it broke and the barrier fell. I thought that reaching the top and praising Safrin or whatever it is we are meant to do, would be rather fitting from here. A sort of...ushering out the old, I suppose. Shrugging his tawny shoulders, Remi stepped over Ianto towards the door that he'd already opened.

The stairs are large enough if we go single file. He thought towards the duo before setting off and up the winding stairs.

Off and up we go! Have a look at your endurance stats to see how well you're able to climb all these stairs ;)
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Caiside
But I have places to see

While Remi’s answer about the safety of this endeavour didn’t exactly inspire much confidence, Caiside couldn’t disagree with the sentiment of the location. Even if he had not been directly involved in anything related to the spire, he could understand wanting to move past it.

The lion, and started taking the stairs, Caiside hesitating, and casting a sidelong glance at Ianto. It was just common sense to not want a stranger at his heels, even one in so small a shape. After a moment, Caiside snorted, and started up the stairs, not wanting to hold things up any longer.

Stairs proved to be a challenge with hooves, this exercise already stacked against him in terms of difficulty. It didn’t help that Remi seemed to moved almost effortlessly up them, and Caiside, not wanting to seem lacking, hurried up, pushing himself. So we are going to be... singing for Safrin? It was a small mercy that he could keep the sound of his exertion out of his mental voice, and save himself from embarrassment. I haven’t heard much of this particular tradition, everyone is so focused on the baskets.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia;
Amalia arrives rather late, having fluctuated and wavered as to whether or not she would go. Sleekly feline in the falling night, she reaches the base of the shattered spire just as the others begin to walk within. Coming to a halt, Amalia swallows, uneasy in this looming place. She has spent her life in the shadow of the Spire; it remains unsettling, a place of discord, and part of her fears that at any moment the world will fall apart again. Frey's displeasure rings in her ears, backlit by pitchforks and fire, shouts and blood. This is a place of death and despair, not music, not magic, not life.

But Jyoti feels none of her trepidation, and Amalia takes heart from the young whale's innocence, leaning into the curiosity and steeling herself for the ascent. Swallowing hard, the leopardess approaches, surrounded in the starlit wake of her calf. At least the gathered are familiar, all creatures she knows and has ventured with before. Remi has already entered the building, with Caiside close behind. Sorry I'm late, the leopard calls mentally, nodding fondly at Ianto before gazing black-eyed into the dark. With a final shudder Amalia begins to ascend the stairs, her great paws pressing against cold stone, a starlit skywhale lighting their way.
dry your smoke-stung eyes
you can see the light

Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
IANTO
Ugh, exercise. Ianto's grin was obvious in his mental voice as he turned his face to accept the whiskery nuzzles. He rolled to his feet as Remi explained to them what they were meant to do, flicking a black-tipped ear in Amalia's direction and letting his jaw hang open in a foxy grin to mark her approach. But then they were off, climbing the Spire to sing to a goddess in animal form.

Sounded like Ianto's kind of thing, honestly. He waited quietly by for leopard and elk to make their way, padding behind them at the back of the line with his tail low and ears forward. He'd have been fine, he thought, if the Spire wasn't so damned big, and as they walked he was increasingly glad to be bringing up the rear for this little group.

How far up is it, anyway? he asked, glancing warily at the obsidian walls.
where are your gods now

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

R E M I

Singing, or...bugling? Is that what elk-sounds are called? Or otherwise roaring, yipping...from what Ianto has told me, it is less about the actual content and more about the symbolism of it all. And I...well. I was not here when the Spire was breached. I had already gone. With a mental shrug, the alchemist sighed. I suppose I also wanted to see what it is like.

Amalia's arrival drew a happy and white-toothed grin from the lion, who turned to peer down the stairs in time to spy her pale pelt creeping through the darkness. It was the first time Remi had the privilege of seeing her fully in her shift, and the pulse of affection and appreciation that pulsed through their bond was unhindered and bright in its honesty. I am so glad that you are here. He chimed brightly. Lowering his head slightly wondering if Jyoti's instincts would label him as a predator because of his shift, or a friend given his similarity to Amalia, he tried to give as non-threatening a smile as possible.

I do not know. I have never been. Remi replied to Ianto, mischief evident in his mental words as they continued to climb.

Up and up until they came to one of the rooms that the initial group had been halted in. Knowing none of the strange and horrific trials faced here, Remi padded through without a second thought. Eventually they did come to the landing, their animal-faces exposed to the full moon and the sweet smell of honey suckle on the wind. Taking a deep breath, Remi glanced over his shoulder until all of his companions arrived.

With a feline grin, the lion turned towards the open sky before him. I would tell you to cover your ears, but one, I do not think any of us are capable of that, and two, it would defeat the purpose. So saying, Remi inhaled deeply and then roared for all he was worth. The sound was devastatingly loud—louder than he knew he was capable of being—but it was quickly followed up by bubbly and joyful mental laughter.

Alright team, 'sing' away!
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
IANTO
Oh. Good to know. Ianto's mental voice was amused rather than out of breath, but that didn't mean he wasn't beginning to feel the effects of walking up the giant bloody Spire. Hells, Remi was lucky to have gotten him this far, and Ianto was starting to reconsider the trip to the top even now. But on and on they pressed, his paws silent on the ground, head lowered as they passed through places that seemed to have history about them, somehow.

And then finally, miraculously, they were there. With a blanket of starlight overhead, Ianto sat back on his haunches and curled his bushy tail about his paws, merely admiring it for a moment. He didn't have long to do so, however - a moment later and Remi's roar rattled through his bones.

Ianto's accompanying yipping and howling was not nearly as impressive, but the fox still threw his head back, ears flattening, to join in the celebration.
where are your gods now

Coding base by Sky!
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:
Caiside
But I have places to see

Would you believe I’ve never learned what it was called? Caiside thought, the short huff of laughter that would normally follow such an admission absent, the words too dry without the buffer. Bugle does sound right though. He managed to make his voice warmer this time, relizing how he must have come across before.

The arrival of another, thankfully familiar face helped to put Caisides mind at ease a little more, his heavy head turning and bowing in her direction as a greeting. He didn’t know Amalia, not by any stretch of the imagination, but he knew Jigano had great trust for her. If he couldn’t trust in his friends judgement, what could he trust in?

The top came up much sooner than Caiside had expected, despite his struggles with the stairs. A canvas of stars spread out above them, each as beautiful as it was unfamiliar to Caiside. The roar made him jump, no amount of warning could have prepared him for the loudness of it, but as he grew used to it, his own low, loud call rang out from the top of the tower, adding another note to the ‘song’.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia;
It is nice to be welcomed, and the friendliness of the collected animals goes a long way toward setting the girl at ease. For her part, Jyoti feels no fear: raised to be a Leviathan of the skies, she is wholly without any prey instincts, something Amalia finds refreshing and terrifying in equal measure. The star calf croons happily at Remi, spinning circles around the lion while Amalia watches, bemused.

The trek up all those winding stairs is painful, and not just physically. Each room is another reminder of her failure, her mistakes. She tries not to look at the fallen creatures, to avoid and skirt around shattered remnants of the one-time jail. And just as she fears she cannot bear it any further, the pack of Attuned breaches the final threshold, making their way into cool night air.

It is a mercy to be beneath the stars; all the girl wants is to wait in silence and enjoy this moment. But the still stillness is broken by a ferocious roar, Remi's strong voice shaking her to her core. Ianto joins in next, and Caiside, and then Jyoti is singing her starlit hymn and all Amalia can do is watch and listen, enraptured by the din, fully taken in by the joy which courses through them all.

Neither of her shifts are singers: Amalia has learned that her feline throat does not work in a way that is particularly pleasant. But she can provide a bass note, and so the leopardess begins to purr, low and steady and melodious, a foundation on which the other celebrants can rise, more than comfortable sitting aside and letting the others shine. As she does she thinks of words, old songs in reverence of the starlit goddess, and hopes her thoughts and hum and prayer are enough for Safrin to feel her love.
dry your smoke-stung eyes
you can see the light

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

R E M I

It is a cacophony of sound. Pleasant? Probably not. Heartfelt though? Well...even that was debatable. Though the alchemist held Safrin in fairly high esteem for what she had done for Ronin—and for him—still this gesture seemed mostly superstitious. What made it meaningful though, was that they were all together. Lion, fox, elk, leopard, and starwhale. Creatures that had no business at all being together on the now-roof of a Spire that had once been such a mystery.

But here they all were. Together.

If anyone is trying to sleep...I think we will likely have woken them. Remi thought to the group with a boyish laugh. Let us try one more thing before the people start screaming at us to go to sleep— Turning his golden gaze from the stars back to his assembled orchestra, Remi licked his lips for a moment as he considered.

It is called a round. We used to sing them when I was a boy, on the road. It was a way to make all the wagons feel like they were part of something. This is the melody— So saying, the lion began to vaguely hum a tune into their minds that in another world, might have sounded like row, row, row, your boat. Simple enough, the trick is that we do not all sing it at the same time. Instead, the next person will come in when I nod. The tune is such that it all fits together. The trick, is not to get lost in what those around you are doing. With a grin, Remi looked to those gathered. Ianto first, then Caiside, then Amalia? He said, his amber eyes turnign to Jyoti with a white-toothed grin. Jyoti of course can come in when she likes. He chuckled.

Ready?

Beginning, the alchemist hummed the melody in his head as he roared with varying degrees of loudness and pitch. It matched horribly, but it was the thought that counted. When it was Ianto's turn, the alchemist would nod for the fox to begin. Then the elk, and finally the leopard.

Last round!

Order is: Ianto, Caiside, Amalia!
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
IANTO
A round, huh? I know them well from when I was young, too. Ianto's jaw opened in a foxy grin, and he wasn't at all worried about waking anyone up. Hells, if he had to be up here on this spooky Spire in his fox form, yowling up at the stars, he wanted people to know about it. Still, while Ianto questioned the efficacy when none of their animals was particularly melodious, he understood well enough what was needed.

Humming the tune in his head as well once he'd caught enough of it from Remi to understand how it should go, Ianto waited for the nod before launching into his own part of the round, yipping and barking at intervals and at a varying pitch. Oh, it was probably awful, but that was what made it fun, right? Either way, before too long, the fox's mental humming dissolved into pure and joyous laughter.
where are your gods now

Coding base by Sky!
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:
Caiside
But I have places to see

Caiside was, unlike Remi and Ianto, not familiar with a round, though the concept seemed simple enough. He repeated the melody silently in his mind, his nostrils flaring in anticipation as first a vaguely melodic roar, then a series of yips and barks sounded. Then, it was his turn, and his voice bugged out of him again.

His pitch and rhythm were a little easier to control, his elk voice well suited for the different notes. At first, it all felt discordant, and then, it seemed to click in his mind the sounds still not good, but working together. His eyes turned to Amalia eagerly awaiting her voice joining the fun they were causing.