Gone Fishin'
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
There was one place better to be on a hot day than under the cool shade of the trees, lounging on a batch of snow moss, and that was splashing about in cool water that flashed and sparkled in the sun. Even the ever-dignified lorekeeper wasn’t immune to the charm of the Stonesong in Longheat’s punishing light, but he was no fisherman, able to wield rod and pole with deft mastery to snag a tasty meal from the water depths.

He was, however, a clever fox, long-limbed and elegant in his moon-white coat as he padded through the Wildwood with a pair of local guides: two red-coated foxes, sleek and plump as the creatures of the Greatwood tended to be. The trio made their way to the banks of the great river, Jigano’s desire for fish, sparkling-scaled and fat compelling his companions to lead the way to a quiet stretch of shore where they had more than once batted such tasty creatures from the current. It was a lovely little place, secluded and glittering in the early afternoon light as the sun struck figurative sparks from water and stone both. The river ran clear and cool over a bottom of sand and smooth stones, and the shore was shallow and slow-moving enough to be seductively inviting.

Better yet, as Jigano hopped up onto a dry stone to survey the area he could see big, fat goldfish swimming lazily along in the sandy shallows, occasionally rising to the surface to try for an insect foolish enough to hover near their watery home. An excited trilling grumble brought his compelled assistants trotting forward into the water, tongues lolling with eagerness. He needed only the lightest touch of his will on their minds for this, enough to guide and orchestrate their timing, but all three foxes were eager to do some fishing. A meal for each of them, and the scales for Jigano, seemed a fine bargain as the red-furred pair waded belly-deep and began to circle a particularly fat fish with scales of spotted red and white, herding it closer to where Jigano crouched above the water, quivering and tense as he readied himself to pounce as soon as the aquatic appetizer came into range.

Ianto
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Foxes and fish? Ianto was in. Okay, so there was something awfully familiar about an out-of-place white fox in the forest. It reminded him of a similarly coloured raven, back when all of the terrible shit had gone down, and he really hadn't had a chance yet to clear his name about that. (Amalia knew he was a good guy, though, and he assumed she had spread the word maybe possibly). Either way, his foxy brain was not interested in the politics of the Greatwood at present, and more focused on the fish swimming lazily in the Stonesong.

Indeed, as Jigano readied himself to pounce, Ianto would unceremoniously beat him to it; a red blur pouncing into the water at full tilt, startling the shit out of the other two foxes and causing them to scatter. Still, when Ianto emerged - fur soaked and matted against him, gold eyes bright - it was with a fat fish wiggling in his jaws. He gave a muffled yip of delight, paddling back to the bank so he might trot up and share his bounty with the white fox there.

Generous, was Ianto.

Stupid, too.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The plan had been solid, his compelled assistants perfect in their tandem corralling of the fish towards Jigano's waiting paws. Just like pouncing on rodents in winter, but judging his distance by eye rather than ear, he'd thought. It had all seemed so promising! But he had thought that three foxes would be more than enough in a territory to keep any interlopers away, and that was where he had been wrong.

Terribly wrong.

Jigano had been just about to pounce from his rock when a fourth fox bounced past him and into the water, splashing and causing chaos among the remaining fish, which scattered as the lorekeeper's assistants tried to do. He caught at their minds with growing deftness, turning them back around and sending them to circle behind the interloper who trotted back to the bank, leaving Jigano sitting on his rock in the river, glaring down at Ianto , who would find himself in a triangle of unblinking foxy stares.

Drop it, he attempted to compel the saucy interloper, blue eyes narrowed with the effort of trying to impose his will on what he assumed was a normal Wildwood fox.
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Ianto thought he'd been doing them a favour, damn. But it became very clear from where he was pinned with laser like precision within the trio of foxes, that he was not as welcome as he had assumed. Still, he didn't drop the fish, which still wiggled haphazardly in his jaws, and he blinked back at the white fox with eyes that grew very interested indeed as he caught the mental voice.

But I caught it... He countered - it was a weak counter, but whatever. Sorry, he said then, padding to the outcrop over the river. I'll let you get the credit. Without further ado his jaws opened, and the injured - but still living - fish went back into the waters with a satisfying plop!
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He hadn't expected to be answered, but the voice that rang back was familiar enough that the white fox sat bolt upright, eyes narrowing on surprise. Ianto! He should have recognized the scent, if not the face, of their cursed guide. He held in the instinctive growl with difficulty, remembering what Amalia had told him of the red fox, but finding it hard not to be vexed when the man insisted on making a nuisance of himself.

Caught what we had already worked to set up for our own ambush, Jigano pointed out coolly. But then, you know a few things about springing ambushes, don't you? And, apparently, stealing the work of other's paws! He watched Ianto pad towards the water with visible exasperation, and was barely able to set his pair of compelled companions to block the interloper's retreat should he try to disappear before he had to leap from his stone perch after the wounded creature Ianto would have left to bleed out in the water.

He might not have been strong, but he was precise and he landed with jaws closing around the injured fish, mouth filling with blood as his teeth sank between sparkling scales to sever the goldfish's spine. He carried it back to shore with an annoyed glare at his fellow Attuned, dropping it before one of his helpers and giving them permission to feast while he took dainty steps to a sun warmed rock to sit again and let his wet feet dry.

Are you not doing the Fae's bidding today? he asked, less charitable than he knew he should be, but still personally annoyed that Ianto had interrupted his carefully-laid plan.
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
It wasn't intended as anything malicious. I came up to share with you, Ianto pointed out - granted, he had already flung the fish back into the river out of spite by then, and was promptly cornered and prevented from being able to take himself back into the woods where he was more comfortable. The suggestion that he was responsible for Delah's ambush in the Wildwood was getting real old real quick, and as Jigano returned to sit himself so prim and proper and dry his wet fur, Ianto responded by shaking himself off like an excitable pup.

I had no idea that Delah was in the woods that day. I ran because I was startled, just like you. He gave a mental sigh, gazing up at Jigano. I am always doing one particular fae's bidding. Luckily, she holds no ill will to any of those within the Hollowed Grounds.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Malicious? Well, perhaps not, but it had been rude. Why didn't you simply wait for us to finish what we had worked so hard to set up and then ask to join? the white fox shot back, exasperated. No one liked being upstaged - especially not a bard!

A blood-flecked white nose wrinkled as Ianto shook off, and Jigano's eyes narrowed all the way down to slits, but he didn't flinch away from the red fox's exuberant drying tactic. He waited until the other Attuned was done before licking his chops, washing the blood away with a diligent pink tongue and occasional swipe of a damp paw. The story that was offered matched what Amalia had said, and he gave a mental sigh of his own. He was still annoyed, and still didn't trust the other man, but his curiosity was piqued and it was hard not to let it get the better of him.

The dryad, he said, not a question but a statement. Amalia said something along those lines. And Remi warned a friend who warned me that we might be in over our heads. He couldn't grimace in fox-form, but he wrinkled his muzzle again before looking over at his second companion. Would you care to help us fish as a team this time? And while we do, I'd like to hear more about this fey woman of the forest. She helped lead us to the Fae village, and I suspect I'll be meeting her again, sooner or later. He stood and nodded to his compelled companion to join him as they waded back into the river, leaving the first fox muzzle-deep in the belly of the goldfish Ianto had caught and then released.
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
I don't know, I got a bit... over-excited, I guess. Ianto managed a laugh, though it wasn't nearly as jubilant as it would have been even a few moments earlier. Once he was finished shaking himself dry, Ianto plonked himself to sit a few feet away from Jigano, his ruddy pelt mightily fluffy as it began to dry in the Longheat sun. The term dryad was foreign to him, an ear flicking towards the bard curiously, though he cheered at the prospect of fishing again.

Getting all four paws beneath him, he joined the two vulpines as they waded back into the river, his golden eyes troubled to hear what Jigano had to say. Every person who has spoken to me about Arduinna has received the same warning. But I cannot stop you from doing what you will. What is it you'd like to know about her? She knows the forest like no one else does, and the Greatwood loves her dearly.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Mmm, was all the white fox had to say on the subject, unimpressed but feeling his hackles start to settle a bit as Ianto managed to be civil and not run away. He picked himself up and headed back into the waters, considering that now they would need four fish to feed everyone fairly, but that would at least give Ludo his pick of scales! His compelled helper waded out into the shallows, black-tipped ears pricked forward as she moved slowly upstream a little ways and studied the water intently for signs of their next potential prey.

The warnings are starting to get around, he agreed with a sigh. But not before she found us and offered to lead us to the Sidhe Village. I offered her a story or song in exchange for her help, but she never replied with an answer before she disappeared after giving us the freedom of the forest. I saw how the trees love her... that's why I thought she was a dryad. But... you said she was a Fae? But I didn't see any wings upon her back? Why is she so different from Delah and the others of the Village?

Their spotter gave a quiet bark of alert, letting them know another fat goldfish was sliding through the water towards them, this one gleaming bright orange beneath the sparkling surface of the water as it flitted its lazy way between the rocks.
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Whilst their companion waded upstream, Ianto kept pace with Jigano and pinned golden eyes upon the clear waters to keep watch for any sign of tasty fish. Good, he said at hearing the warnings were finally making their rounds. Still, as the bard continued the fox's whiskers twitched uncomfortably. All things considered, a story or a song is probably the safest thing you might have offered. Jigano had not been foolish enough to make an open ended bargain with his godmother, at least.

It's an illusion, a seeming, he explained. The wings are there, sure as any other Fae. She's different because she is wild Fae. I don't know what that means, in truth. Only that she belongs to the Greatwood rather than the Sidhe Village or the Sea of Branches. Her power is nebulous enough that she is treated with respect. And quite rightly so.

Perking up at the sight of the goldfish, Ianto made as if to pounce for it before catching himself, glancing to Jigano for confirmation that doing so would not earn the other Attuned's ire.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
That's a relief to hear, the bard admitted, glad that his instincts had been right to offer a trade - and of something he could indeed provide without endangering his friends and family. He listened with focused intent to Ianot's explanation of the wild, beautiful, wonderful, dangerous woman, ears flicking thoughtfully at the information. Illusion... that would explain the ambush, too, he mused. Without a means to see through it, it would make the Fae terrifying foes. I'm glad you say Arduinna holds no animosity towards us... and Delah doesn't seem interested in expansion, only isolation. Hopefully it won't come to conflict. His mental voice was fervent as he watched Ianto , at least until the lookout gave the signal.

He had no brow to raise, but the sense of it was there as Ianto made to pounce. When he held himself back the white fox snorted amused exasperation and shifted himself into position a few feet down from Ianto in case the fish managed to dodge him, while the watch-fox turned to block its escape back upstream. All yours, he confirmed wryly, saving his next question for after the goldfish was captured.
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
I hope not, Ianto agreed regarding the conflict. He wasn't one for it anyway, more likely to hide than to fight. Arduinna, though, is interested in what those who lived behind the barrier could offer the Fae, and the Greatwood. So there is already bad blood brewing between she and Delah. Not only that - whilst the wild Fae might not hold any animosity towards them in general, that was not to say that they might not earn her ire.

He wasted no time at hearing the fish was all his, pouncing without warning and splashing about in the water without any grace whatsoever. It wasn't that he couldn't - he just felt more like having fun right now, truthfully. Either way, the fat goldfish was flapping around in his mouth as he emerged, a wide and foxy grin on his face.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
What we have to offer... Jigano mused thoughtfully, knowing it would be a difficult bargain. The Hollowed Grounds were worn and weary, with little to offer in the way of food or life that the Greatwood did not have more of, larger, and healthier. The wealth of the world within the barrier lay in the tenacity and talents of its people, but the Fae had lived long and fruitful lives without those talents up until now. So. It would not be something that the Fae needed, but rather something that they wanted...

For the moment there was fishing to do, however, and Jigano hopped back as Ianto flung himself gleefully into the fray with the wriggling fish. Blue eyes flicked up to his compelled assistant, who shook herself as his touch upon her mind lightened to the barest thread, and she began to stalk her own lunch in the glittering shallows.

How did you meet Arduinna? he asked of Ianto instead, tilting his head and flicking an ear to indicate he didn't mind if the red fox took his catch to the shore to feast while the remaining vulpines sought their own snacks amidst the jeweled shallows.
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto had absolutely no objection to being able to slink over to the bank and enjoy his fishy prize, and he did so at the merest indication from Jigano. Lolling on the bank with the fish between his paws so he could dig in (he had killed it with a quick snap of his jaws). He glanced up at Jigano's question, increasingly used to it, but that still didn't make it easy to speak about.

She saved my life when I was dropped into this place, he explained. While my friends arrived at the Spire, I was dropped into the Greatwood - though I don't know the reason. I wandered for a few days, but... as you know, those woods aren't forgiving. Arduinna took pity on me, offered to show me the ways of the Wildwood, to give me a purpose where I no longer had one.