You Believe On What You See
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?

Sam usually dreaded the call of his body, the pulling to go and feed. It disgusted him, the primal cravings that so easily gave way to crass feelings and violence, that made him feel half-animal (and not in the fun Attuned way). But as it approached him this week in Longheat, he actually found himself somewhat looking forward to his trip to the Shrine.

The Underground altar had quickly become a favourite because it was private, and he quite wanted to see The Voice. He wanted to learn more about who he was before he'd made his rather large mistake. Not just that: he wanted some sliver of direction, and The Voice was as good as anyone else who could give it.

Stood at the entrance of the Underground just as the moon was beginning to rise, he looked back out behind him to the outside one last time, always feeling a little bit of anxious claustrophobia as he entered the caves.
Samuel
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

There was a call within Ronin, too. The hunter had been trying to ignore it for some time, that ebb and pull towards what he supposed counted as holy places within the Hollowed Grounds. The Glade and the Temple were easy enough to sate his curiosity, but now... well. He didn't know what to call it, only that something in the pit of his belly was making his feet move towards somewhere he didn't recall going.

Oh wait, no. He remembered the Underground - remembered the Prince. Ugh. But was there something else down here, too?

Arriving in naught but a loose shirt and pants, with a dragon snoozing around his shoulders and his hands tucked in his pockets, Ronin raised his eyebrows at the sight of Samuel, not having expected the other man to be there.

"Oh," he said, his surprise evident in his tone. "Sorry, am I... did I disturb you?"

taliesin
a long and lonesome road
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Your heroes for ghosts?

Sam whipped around with a surprised little gasp at the sudden voice, calming down as soon as he saw the familiar captain. "Oh, hello R-" Then Sam remembered that he was dead and couldn't help the little yelp that escaped him, the jump back-- oh. Oh, wait. Remi had mentioned this. He put a hand to his chest and tried to calm down, the flurry of emotions being rather a lot to deal with at once.

"I'm sorry, I just-- I forgot you were no longer dead. Remi told me about it, but actually seeing you is...something different entirely." And Ronin looked good, still as handsome as ever and definitely not a zombie, as Sam had been half-imagining.

He looked back into the cave then to Ronin. "Are you hoping to visit the shrine? I am too. I don't mind going with you...I'll just wait for you to be done before I drink, if that's alright." It was not an activity he wanted to be seen doing.
Samuel
Hot ashes for trees?
Cold comfort for change?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Ronin could do little more than raise his eyebrows at the erratic reaction from the Ascended, and as Sam explained himself the hunter let a warm laugh bubble up in his chest. "It's alright," he assured him. "Sometimes I feel the same way. It's been a strange few months for me, put it that way." He winked, drawing up closer before falling to a halt, peering into the darkness of the underground tunnels.

"Hm? Oh - there's a shrine down there? Is it to Ludo?" He thought the underground creepy enough for the trickster god of souls to play about in. At least that explained the weird pull he was getting... only then Sam was talking about drinking, and Ronin's expression briefly grew puzzled before clearing again.

"Not Ludo... the Voice," he said, before nodding slowly. "Lead the way."

taliesin
a long and lonesome road
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Your heroes for ghosts?

"Yes, I...suppose it must be quite the strange experience." Sam agreed. He did not think he would much like coming back from the dead. He was already filled with complexes about whether or not he was truly alive.

When Ronin said Ludo he frowned, but the Captain corrected himself before Sam had a chance to, so he just nodded. "Yes, The Voice. This is where I first saw her, actually." He turned into the entrance and began to head in, Ascended eyes easily seeing in the dark of the underground. "It was quite the shock. And if my diaries are to be trusted, it's the first time I met Remi...not that I remember it now." He was sure Ronin knew of his memory loss, since he and Remi were so close.

"..Oh, can you see down here?" He asked behind his shoulder, suddenly remembering that Ronin did not have upgrades like he did.
Samuel
Hot ashes for trees?
Cold comfort for change?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
everything has its wonders
"Oh you have no idea," Ronin said good-naturedly, smiling to the Ascended and heading down into the Underground after him, footsteps careful on the dark stone. He raised his eyebrows curiously at hearing that this was where Sam had first seen the Voice; he knew perilously little about the bookmaker, even though he knew he and Remi had been close once. "I imagine that was when you first Ascended?" he asked, unable not to make assumptions.

Ronin could not see, and he was about to say as much when he bonked his head on an overhanging stone. "Yeah, no," he said, chuckling and fumbling for the tinderbox at his belt. "I brought a torch though, just a second..."

A few strikes of flint and a bit of fumbling, and the guildmaster was suddenly aglow in ruddy light. He smiled to Sam. "My bad - don't let me stop you."
even darkness and silence

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Your heroes for ghosts?

"Oh, um...no." Sam answered, the hesitation audible in his voice. He did not like to talk of his Ascension, the memory being unpleasant, but.. "I Ascended years before Remi or you came here. I didn't see The Voice when it happened." He left it there, hoping that Ronin might realise he didn't want to discuss it further.

He waited politely for Ronin to light his torch (taking a couple of steps back from the dangerous fire) and then continued on, making light conversation until they reached the chamber containing the shrine.

"Here we are. Shall we kneel together?"
Samuel
Hot ashes for trees?
Cold comfort for change?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Ah, I see. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware." Ronin smiled politely back at Sam. You'd have to be blind not to see that the other man was uncomfortable, and luckily Ronin had just gotten a torch lit, so he was wise enough to let the subject drop. Holding the flickering fire at a safe distance even as he fell into step with Sam, the hunter glanced around with open curiosity at the underground ruins, at the labyrinth they walked to reach a chamber unlike anything he had ever seen before.

And at the centre of it... this was the Voice? "Huh? I... oh. I mean, I didn't intend to speak with her, but... sure."

Brow furrowing, Ronin dropped to one knee as he might have once upon a time to a monarch, feeling a little unsettled in the shrine. It didn't feel natural.

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Your heroes for ghosts?

Ronin dropped down on one knee and Sam fell to both of his, bowing his head and clasping his hands together. "Um...hello, The Voice. I haven't seen you in a while. I hope it's alright I brought Ronin...he is a good man, I promise. I need to feed, but..." Sam looked sideways to Ronin with a little embarrassment, but he had something he needed to say and he couldn't let the Captain being here stop him.

"..Well, of course that's enough. But I would also like to speak with you...know that you haven't forgotten us since the barrier fell."
Samuel
Hot ashes for trees?
Cold comfort for change?

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the VOICE
"A good man?" The Voice echoed. She appeared as a faint outline at first, her piercing electric-blue gaze fixed on the kneeling demi-god before her attention turned towards Samuel. "Oh no Sam, he is certainly not that."

Moving to sit atop her shrine, the Voice extended a ghostly hand towards Sam to raise his chin and let her illusory fingers stroke gently down the side of his face. "Forgotten you my bright one? Never in this world, or the next. I have been learning and testing. Looking for ways that you might be even brighter now that we are not caged behind the barrier." Frowning softly, she gently pulls her hand back. "After all these centuries of loving and creating you all..and you think I would leave you just like that?"

Coding base by Sky!
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin's breath caught in his throat at the reply that shot, electric through his veins, into the air around them. He glanced up only briefly, only enough to take a glance at the Voice (it was his first time seeing her likeness, in truth, given his state of... er, death, at the time of the Spirefall).

Something about the whole situation made his skin instinctively crawl, and he was too engrossed in what was happening to realise it might be to do with the fact that he was apparently not a man. Wisely choosing to remain silent, he pressed his eyes shut to allow Sam to get on with it. This was much more than he had bargained for.

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Your heroes for ghosts?

Sam looked sideways at Ronin as the Voice rejected his description. He couldn't tell if the objection was to Ronin's goodness or his being a man, but he nodded and looked back to the Voice, trying to make it clear he understood whatever it was she didn't like, mumbled an apology under his breath.

He felt his skin shiver as she took his face in her hands, lifted his head to let her touch more. "No, I...I'm sorry. It's just....I came to see you and there was no answer, and I..I've found out about what I did before. And now I can be invisible, and it's rather a lot. I just didn't know if you were mad at me or--" Sam paused, knowing he was beginning to speak too quickly.

"You're right, though. You wouldn't forget me. I just would like to know what's happening , if that's alright, and um..you said...brighter..?" He did not look at Ronin, only at The Voice.
Samuel
Hot ashes for trees?
Cold comfort for change?

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the VOICE
Smiling softly and with the youthful expression of one far younger than she in fact was, the Voice merely shook her head, offering Sam a bemused smile. "I am always here, when you need me. Independence and self-confidence are things you have been working on within yourself. If I always appear when you call, you will never learn to walk through this world with me, and with our family. You will always be following, and you are too bright, my Samuel, to be left behind."

Sitting up with a spark of a smile, the Voice nodded. "Invisibility is a rare gift."

For a moment her eyes flash towards Ronin, the playful and electric blue of her gaze turning dark and turbulent for just an instance, before she looks back to Sam. "Yes. Brighter. We were like a candle, contained in here as we were. But now? Now the world is open to us. Open to you. And like a candle which becomes a wildfire, we will be made brighter." Again she glances over at Ronin, as if to ensure that he is not listening too carefully.

"There is something that I need your help with Sam." She said, fixing the ascended with a delicate but weighty gaze. "Will you help me?"

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Your heroes for ghosts?

Sam bowed his head, wished he fully understood what it was The Voice saw in him. Privately, he often thought she was likely just trying to make the best of it; that she wished he had not been forced into her ranks. For what could he be but a liability, an embarrassment? Too bright...he doubted it.

Even his newly-discovered and slow healing could not touch this, not yet. When he was before his Goddess he felt as small as an ant.

His eyes went to Ronin as hers did, but he quickly looked away. "Even..brighter? I...I didn't know there was more to your plan." This was not a criticism or meant to be negative, just simple surprise. As she asked her question a hot beat of fear went through his heart, but Sam looked up and nodded.

"Yes. What is it? If...If I can do it, I will."
Samuel
Hot ashes for trees?
Cold comfort for change?