Training Fire and Lightning
For Edrei
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ZARIAH
I don't give a damn 'bout my bad reputation
Training was like breathing for the Launceleyns. They started young, almost as soon as they could walk. As they grew, it became their entire world; day in, day out, working until your strength was entirely spent, leaving you naught but a trembling mass of bone and blood and flesh on the ground. Did anyone carry you then? No. You had to draw strength from your soul, the iron of your person to stand and retreat to rest for but a few hours then begin again. It was why they were revered and feared - Launceleyns were the ultimate, the pinnacle of magical strength and superiority.

And through training, they would prove themselves to be the same in Caido.

The Ruins seemed a good place for such training. There was really no harm they could do to the surrounding area, it was already in pieces. It was also generally free of unwanted onlookers. That meant they could really focus. Zariah arrived early, dressed in an overlong, sleeveless tunic and leggings, her wild curls pulled up into a ponytail. Today she awaited Edrei, who she knew would impress with her mastered fire.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
Edy arrived just after Zariah did, dressed in almost the same fashion. She was wearing the base layer from her soldier's uniform that she'd arrived in from Northaven, and like the Head, Edy's wild halo of hair was pulled tightly back into a bun. Zariah wasn't exactly the hair-pulling type, but the younger Launceleyn was still sure that she'd stoop to such an elementary attack if only to show Edy want an idiot she'd been by letting her hair flail freely.

"Zariah." Edy called out, her tone perfunctory. Reaching an arm in front of her she stretched it along her body, before switching to do the other side. At her heel, Bobi trotted confidently forward.
you and me been catching on like a wildfire

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah glanced towards Edrei as she arrived, please to see her prepared for this training session, though it wouldn’t show on her face. ”Edrei.” she said, watching quietly as she briefly stretched. Her eyes flicked to the cat. If Beatrix hadn’t been so fond of the animal, she probably would have ignored it and not cared if it was hurt or not. ”I suggest Bobi stay out of the way for the time being.” she said in warning. If the cat stayed alongside Edrei after that, she would not care if it was hurt. She did her part.

”Let us see if you have retained your instincts.” Zariah said, folding her arms behind her back. She stood feet shoulders-width apart, a perfect at-ease position. Only then a slight smirk curved her lips, eyes narrowing as she gazed upon the younger woman. She held up one fist, opening it to reveal a seemingly simple pendant on a chain looped around her finger. A closer look would reveal it to be much more, the pendant being the family symbol of the Left Hand – something Zariah must have crafted herself having experience making jewelry back in Northaven. After showing it, she placed the chain around her neck, the pendant hanging just above her sternum. ”Take this from me, and training is over.” she said.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Edy glanced down at Bobi for a moment, and then simply shrugged. Bonded though they might be, Bobi was free to make her own decisions. With a flick of her stub of a tail, Bobi scaled one of the nearby trees in a fluid and graceful movement, laying down on the bough to watch.

Keeping her own hands at her side, though mirroring Zariah's position otherwise, Edy's dark eyes snapped immediately to the locket. She couldn't see the insignia etched onto it, and wouldn't step closer to investigate. If this was a ploy, Zariah had to know Edy wasn't so stupid as to bring herself within such easy reach. Watching as it fell low on Zariah's flat stomach, Edy listened to the instructions and nodded.

With a grin, Edy suddenly spun and darted away as quickly as she could. For her plan to work she needed to place as much distance between herself and Zariah as she could. Balancing distance with time, after a few moments she spun, thrusting out a hand and shooting what was meant to be an enclosed circle of fire at Zariah. The intention was to surround the head in a blaze too large for her to get her way out of, and to be far enough away to avoid magical retaliation.

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah was quick in pursuit, intent on maintaining a certain distance between them. Unfortunately for Edrei, the head was a bit faster than her, so creating distance wouldn't be easy. As they ran, Zariah began working her own magic, slowly sucking the energy from Edrei's body. It was a twofold attack, working to bolster her own endurance at a steady rate and wear down Edrei's.

The fiery circle that suddenly encased her though stopped her in her tracks. The heat of the flames should have made her step back or hide behind her arms, but she merely glared at the molten air. She switched tactics briefly, and using her memory of where Edrei had been, shot bolts of lightning towards her.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
As Edy sprinted she could feel the lactic acid building up far sooner than it should have done in her body. Instead of panicking though, she merely smirked. Zariah's lifedrain magic was far superior to Edy's, but that didn't mean the younger Launceleyn didn't know what it felt like.

Darting to the side and dropping into a tumble-roll, Edy felt the decisive zzzTCHING of electric head as it flared brightly across her leg. Biting down on a grimace of pain, Edy completed the roll and returned to a standing position, intently focusing on the cage of fire.

Rather than enclosing it, Edy simply made the flames more dense and higher. If the younger Launceleyn couldn't out-range Zariah, perhaps she could simply outlast her. The only trouble was, even if she could, Z would never just give over the babble around her neck.

Oh well, that was a worry for a later time.

"I hope you don't mind I brought a toy Ronin gave to me. Shall we see what it can do?" Edy called gleefully towards the cage of fire and the Head (hopefully) still within it.

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Well, Zariah certainly wasn't going anywhere. Edrei has mastered fire manipulation and her own control of that magic was weak (which she was very bitter about). She couldn't part the flames in any manner, her lightning would just fly right through it. So she was stuck. But she would not panic. She stayed cool despite the heat of the flames, and once again shot lightning bolts in the direction of Edrei's voice.

All the while slowly refueling herself with Edrei's own energy between blasts.

She had a toy from Ronin? From inside her fiery cage Zariah cocked a brow, wiping sweat from her brow. "This better be worth it and not a magical sex toy as a joke." she called back snidely.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
Though Edy had been prepared for another bought of lightning, the continued sapping of her strength made her dodge weak and slow, like running through molasses. Suddenly Edy was struck in the thigh causing her to stumble. She managed to catch herself against a tree at the last moment so she didn't fall. Glad that the fire-curtain likely kept Zariah from seeing this, Edy straightened and inhaled deeply.

"Honestly with Ronin, who can say?" Edy shot back. Reaching around her back where the mace was strapped, Edy removed it, liking the weight in her hands. "Here goes fucking nothing." She whispered to herself, before taking aim, and thrusting it towards Zariah.

Suddenly, a brilliant and shimmering cloud appeared. It was full of all sorts of colours suddenly splayed out and flying on softly fluttering wings towards Zariah. However as soon as the butterflies encountered the cage of fire, precisely what you would expect happened: the fucking roasted, and began falling from the sky.

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Yes, Zariah was thoroughly in the blue about whether her attacks landed or not. The wall of flame was near impossible to see through and the heat of it was oppressive. She halted her lightning attacks for the moment, since she really couldn’t be certain if they worked or not, and focused on the Life Drain. Only when she could hear the exhaustion in Edrei’s voice would she switch back to lightning.

And that’s when something fell at her feet.

Zariah kneeled down and looked at the charred thing, the vague shape of a butterfly being made out. An unusual thing happened then. The head tilted her head back and laughed, a loud, raucous laugh at the sheer ridiculousness of what had just occurred. ”So he gave you a magic vibrator that ejaculates butterflies. How festive.” Zariah laughed.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
The sound of Zariah laughing made Edy scowl. Not because she necessarily disagreed with Zariah's assessment, but because of all the potential times Edy might have learned that the mace actually just made fucking butterflies appear, why did it have to be now?

"A good party trick. I bet Bea would like it." Edy said with a shrug, throwing the mace towards the nearest tree, where a ring of fire suddenly appeared. "What in the actual—" Edy murmured with a surprised whisper, eyeing the flames warily.

Breathing heavily now as Zariah continued to sap at her strength, Edy swallowed down her rising weariness and tried to think. How was she supposed to get the necklace off of Zariah? At this rate, Z's lifedrain would probably sap her strength entirely, leaving them both magically empty. But then Edy would have the disadvantage at hand-to-hand combat.

Fuck.

Well. She had once chance to try and turn the tables.

"Hope it isn't too hot in there—" Edy called loudly, before dashing to stand behind Zariah. She held her breath to keep herself from panting too hard, and hoped the sizzle of the flames would drown out any other sound that Z might hear. With fingers outstretched, and with a mental pulse towards the branch above, Edy made her play.

As soon as the ring of fire dropped, Bobi leaped from the tree aiming to land before Zariah. Spitting and hissing and yowling loudly, Bobi tried to capture the Head's attention, while Edy's dexterous fingers darted forward to try and grab the chain from the back of Z's neck and lift it off.

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah was midway to standing when the flames suddenly dropped. A gush of cooler air made her gasp, sweat from the heat of the flames beading up on her skin. Eyelashes fluttered as she tried to locate Edrei, a sudden movement in front of her catching her eye. Bobi…? Her brows furrowed in irritation as the bobcat hissed at her, and she moved to kick the feral beast…

But she was suddenly choking, the pendant around her neck pulled taught against her throat.

Immediately her use of Life Drain ceased as her brain when into survival mode from the sudden cut off of oxygen. She spluttered and grabbed at the chain, clearing unable to overpower Edrei who held it. So she did all that she could, sending electricity flowing from her hands, into the metal, hoping the sparks against Edrei’s palms would be enough to force her to let go.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
Edy felt heat and the white-sizzling spark of electricity buzzing into her joints. She felt shaky and suddenly weak as her muscles spasmed with the onslaught of electricity. Don't you fucking let go she thought as she focused on her hands. Grinding her teeth together against the strange and purple-tinged pain, Edy gasped out a bark of adrenaline, one of her hands wrapping around Z's upper chest in as much an effort to hold herself steady as to keep Zariah restrained.

"Two—can play at—that—g—ame—" Edy wheezed as spots began to appear in her vision. Fire flared from her fingertips as Edy fulled intended to singe and burn just as Zariah was doing to her.

They were equal-enough matched in this display, with only one difference between them: Edy had something to prove.

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah sucked air through her teeth, eyes squeezing shut as blistering pain seared her skin. The two were evenly matched. They were masters of their element. They had both endured torturous pain. Their wills were stronger than their physical capabilities, making them able to act beyond the restraints of their mortality. They were bred for this very moment, and if allowed to continue, they would easily destroy each other. Were this a real fight, that was exactly how it would end, mutual death.

But this was no battle. This was training.

With an aggravated groan, Zariah let go of the necklace, and with the last ounces of her physical strength shoved herself back towards Edrei. As her head tilted slightly to accommodate the constraints of the chain, the necklace slid off of Zariah, dangling in midair, still clutched in Edrei’s hand. Whether leaning against the younger woman, or laying on the ground, Zariah gasped for air, covered in sweat and butterfly soot, chest pocked with burn blisters, and a wide smile on her face. ”Well done, Edrei.”
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
As the necklace (and Z) suddenly became weightless, Edrei happily allowed gravity to pull her backwards as stars danced merrily behind her eyes. Collapsing onto the ground, holding whatever the fuck it was she had been told to retrieve, Edy allowed her chest to steadily rise and fall. Despite the burns on her hands from the lightning-heat and the complete exhaustion of her muscles, Edy too grinned broadly.

"Thanks." She gasped, running a hand across her forehead to try and dampen some of the sweat. "Nice thing about this fucking place though, we can be healed." Edy continued with a grin. The pretty healer had died, but there were others, so that was something.

"Remind me to never borrow your jewellery without asking." Edy cackled happily, letting her fingers splay out in the grass.

Coding base by Sky!