Absolute Power
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
cigarettes, the taste of whiskey on your lips
still haunting my every kiss - do you remember it?
Zariah was clearly not the pious type, but as it was she had a small amount of respect for the various deities given their various powers. Power was the ultimate goal after all. And it was in pursuit of power that Zariah decided to finally pay a shrine a visit. She had questions, and only one person would have the answers. The head had heard though that the deities did not regularly show up for those possessing magic. Perhaps this goddess would make an exception, since she had offered up her life to release her.

She arrived at the shrine with Edrei by her side, eyes trained on the odd pedestal in the room. For a moment she was silent, considering her words. ”I would wish to speak to the one called the Voice. I have questions only she can answer.” she called out, voice confident and strong despite having never asked to speak to a deity before. Then they were left waiting to see if this goddess would grace them with her presence.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
you and me been catching on like a wildfire
Arms crossed, Edy stood silently behind the head. A ball of fire hovered behind her to cast a warm light over the strange and unwelcome blue-white glow that hummed around the Shrine. Thus far, Edy hadn't seen the Voice. She'd been privy to surprisingly few (aka none) spiritual interactions since arriving in Caido, and she rather preferred it that way. Though Lucas obviously spoke highly of her, Edy had only one commander and chief and no room for anyone else.

But Zariah had asked, and so of course Edy had obediently followed.

Coding base by Sky!

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the VOICE
In reality's shadow the blind see best
Not one Acquired, but two. How wonderful.

The pedestal would alight from the inside at first, fizzing and sparking, and the whole room would pulse with power, until there she was.

Youthful and translucent, with eyes like static and a smile like the sun, the Voice stepped out from the pedestal to greet them.

"It is not often that I am visited by those who already have so many gifts. You are not bright ones, it is true, but you are special." She bowed her head gently. "Ask your questions, Zariah Launceleyn and Edrei Launceleyn. I will listen."
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Zariah’s expression remained perfectly schooled as the room flared and sparked with power, continuing her perfect porcelain appearance of nothingness even as the goddess appeared. It surprised her, having heard those like her tended to do poorly at shrines. ”That you recognize our difference to others speaks volumes to your astuteness, goddess.” Zariah said, returning the compliment. She did know how to schmooze when needed.

”I am glad to hear you will listen, and hope as well that you will answer, and that you will indulge my reasons for this line of questioning.” she said, having noted that no such promise had been made by the lithe young woman before them. It was odd, but Zariah saw much of herself in her. Her slim build, her power, her impressive talents, her leadership of many followers…in a number of ways they were doppelgangers. ”I come from a world where magic reigned supreme, our lineage the most powerful of them all after a millennia of careful breeding and training.” Zariah said, gesturing between her and Edrei. ”We were masters of it there, and it is but a matter of time before we are masters of it here and we will control this land.” she said calmly, but with confidence. ”I am aware that such people are called Abandoned here, because the Old Gods are not fond of us due to the events that led to your capture.”

She paused, considering her words with even more care now. ”I am unimpressed with these Old Gods who do not see the value in the abilities of people like myself. I am certain my efforts could attract their unwanted attention…and so I wish to know what happened. What mistakes were made, what oversights occurred, what traps were laid that led to your capture? These are not good memories for you, I am sure, but your knowledge is valuable.”
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Standing with her arms loose at her sides and feet shoulder-width apart, the younger Launceleyn watched with a silent wonder as the Voice—this strange being she'd heard so much about—suddenly appeared. That she should feel comfortable before the Voice given how many times she'd now helped the ascendeds out by offering them her abilities was perhaps ego on the part of the youngster, but so be it.

Listening as Zariah asked her questions, Edy simply quirked a brow, her dark eyes falling on the youthful vision in silent curiosity.

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
the VOICE
Folding her hands before her, hair and dress billowing about her as if she were weightless, or underwater, the Voice listened carefully to what the Launceleyn had to say. Her smile was indulgent - she knew well of the place where Zariah was from, having cultivated and selected and plucked through those she deemed worthy. And the Northaven crowd had not disappointed. Her nose wrinkled, ever so slightly, as the Abandoned continued.

"Trapped," she corrected. "Never captured." Spreading her hands, the Voice was silent for a moment, as if pulling the memories through from a hidden bank. "War," she said. "The oversight was engaging in open warfare. We were pushed back, within these Hollowed Grounds, and before we were able to regroup the gods combined their efforts to raise the barrier."

Smirking now, she glanced back at the Launceleyns. "Our situations are very different, though. You would be wise not to engage with those whom the Old Gods love. You would also be wise to remember who brought you to this land, child. I plucked you into this world, and I can put you back."
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
”Trapped.” Zariah repeated with a nod in agreement, taking the correction with grace.

Open warfare had angered the gods. Curious. ”War upon the people? Or upon them?” she asked for clarification. The these Old Gods who so willingly trapped their own people, who played favorites, who could not capture or kill their enemies would stoop so low as to meddle in the affairs of wars was a bit surprising to her. But she would absolutely keep it in mind.

”That you plucked me into this world with members of my family is something for which I am grateful. In this world, we’ve opportunity to reach our fullest potential and beyond.” she said, her tone one of reverence. She knew when she was outmatched, and the Voice was far more powerful than she – and in her opinion far more powerful than the Old Gods. ”I would not wish to offend or anger you, and you are clearly superior to the Old Gods – for if their combined efforts could only capture you, it speaks to your power. As different as our situations might be, I still see similarity. You’ve your Ascended, who are loyal to you and rely on your leadership. I’ve my family, small as it is now who rely on me for the same things, and I would see my fellow Abandoned similarly guided, and Abandoned no more.”

She paused, considering again. ”What is it you seek now, goddess? Perhaps, could our purposes be aligned, at minimum at truce?” Certainly, if she had been at war, she would not sit idly now that she was freed again. Zariah would not see her family in servitude again, but she could get behind an allied front. War wasn’t in her sights as the moment, but one could never be too prepared. "Clearly part of what makes the Old Gods powerful is their numbers. Imagine how the tide may have turned, had you an ally.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
Inhaling deeply, Edy clasped her hands behind her back and stood a good deal straighter. She was not necessarily a part of this conversation, merely a witness to it. Two ambitious female minds circling each other like hungry tigers, searching for weaknesses, seeking opportunities to strike.

Though Edy had little to offer, in the marrow of her bones she quaked and tensed. To her ears it sounded as though Zariah was rebranding the old Launceleyn vows. Binding this new generation of mages to a different monarchy but with the same restrictions. Power, for protection.

Were they so easily sold? Or did Zariah have a plan?

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
the VOICE
The Voice tilted her head as Zariah spoke, arching an eyebrow. "You misunderstand," she said. "What I mean to imply is that it was a mistake to meet the Old Gods on the battlefield. Me and mine are better suited to the shadows." Settling back as if to lean against the statue of herself, she heard Zariah out. Heard her voice. Heard her inner voice. And she smiled.

"You think us equals, Zariah Launceleyn. You flatter me, and you draw parallels between us." She gazed coolly upon the two of them. "My purposes are my own, and I need not tell them to a mortal. So long as you are seeking to lead and not to follow, our purposes are polar opposites. Be gone from this place."
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Ah, now that made more sense. From what she knew of Ascended, they were indeed much more suited to assault from the shadows than battle on the field. But that was where Zariah saw not just her piece of the puzzle, but the piece of the Abandoned – no, Acquired. At least, the Acquired when shaped and molded by someone who knew what they were doing, who understood magic and its uses and how to make it manifest in a desired way. Why shouldn’t the two races most hated by the Old Gods not align?

But alas, it seemed the Voice was of a different opinion. And yet, she still revealed much to the family head, enough for her to begin formulating her own plans. Zariah smiled, though the expression did not reach her eyes. ”I see.” she said quietly, ”Then, until next we meet.” she said, bowing slightly at her waist. For all her snideness, Zariah really did quite respect the Voice for what she did and had done. And she did see parallels between them. But now it was time to prove that was the case. Rising from the shallow bow she turned on her heel, expression blank again, though Edrei might see the glint of a smirk in her eye as she walked out, expecting her Left Hand to follow.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
As Zariah turned and stalked passed, Edy kept her face entirely neutrally as she moved to follow. However glancing over her shoulder she gave the Voice a look that clearly said, well fuck, while pulling in her chin and giving herself about 18 more in the process.

Shrugging her shoulders and deciding that the Voice was one bitch to not cross, the younger Launceleyn followed behind Zariah biting back on her smirk.

Coding base by Sky!