Till The Morning Comes
For Rexanna
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Bastien was quickly finding that without any other souls in the prison, it was particularly gruelling. An almost accidental solitary confinement, yet no less painful for it's lack of intention. The complete lack of any human noise except for the odd distance scrape of a guard's heel led him to hum songs to himself, walk about his cell aimlessly; he had been in the cell for a day and already felt like an insane man.

He was halfway through reciting his favourite poem in Italian (something he had not thought to do in a while, and he was shocked to find himself struggling with some of the lines) when he heard feet approaching his cell and sat on the bench casually, wanting to appear as if he was happily relaxing.

A guard appeared, but not with food or another prisoner, just an announcement: "You have a visitor." Bastien raised an eyebrow. His last 'visitor' had not bothered with this much formality. In his heart he hoped for Rexanna, but he did not even know if she knew he was here; that and he partially wanted her away from all this mess.

He stood up and walked to his bars (it seemed the guard was not moving to open the door) to see his visitor appear.
Bastien
Can you hear me you peers and privvy counsellors
I stand before you naked to the eyes
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
the world gives you so much pain
and here you are making gold out of it —
It felt like it did when she was a damsel trapped in a cage, trying to scout and gather any information that she could about her then-husband. But this time was different, she wasn’t surrounded by enemies, she wasn’t constantly in danger, and this time she genuinely cared about what happened to Bastien rather than attempting to avoid any conflict with Calstron. This time, she had dug and dug, day after day, until finally she had found out where he’s gone. She had slipped away and finally read the notice, of Zariah crowning herself and all the laws and rules, and her lip curled a bit in confusion.

Rexanna wasn’t an idiot, but she knew that if someone would protest it would be Bastien. And likely, he had gotten caught. It would also explain why it seemed like he hadn’t planned to leave, not if someone had grabbed him and put him somewhere. But the where was the question, and her stomach sunk when she found out the Hallowed Grounds has a jail now. Swallowing hard, she set to make her way there — to find out if he was within, and perhaps maybe figure out a way to get him out. Yet the closer she got to the prison, the more uncomfortable she got; the deeper her stomach twisted and churned, the more memories that came flooding back. And for a moment, she didn’t know if she could.

But she had to do it for him, so she swallowed her worries and woes, her anxieties and approached the prison to ask if he was there. And when they said yes, and lead her toward the cells and opened the door, her heart was in her throat. What kind of state would he be in? Would Zariah torture him? She didn’t know what to expect, but she expected the worst. If for nothing else but to be pleasantly surprised.

And well, pleasantly surprised was exactly the result as she stepped around the man that had opened the door and laid her eyes on Bastien — relatively unharmed and mostly fine. Immediately her arms slackened and she rushed toward the bars, her pale hands wrapping around them as worry gleamed in her sapphire gaze. “Bastien!” She uttered in almost disbelief. “How long have you been here?
there is nothing purer than that
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

As he saw Rexanna come around the corner Bastien grinned, a huff of laughter coming from him; though he still felt worried for her being here. He rushed up to the bars, his hands immediately covering hers over the rough metal. For just a moment, he felt his first pang of guilt for being here; not for his crime or for rebelling, but for putting a moment of panic in Rexanna's life.

"Only for two days, Cara. And if you can believe it, I am here for asking what this army is for. What a wonderful leader we have, eh." He asked, mostly quietly and mumbled under his breath so the guards could not hear. "Is it safe for you to be here? I do not want you hurt or thrown in with me." Bastien stroked a hand down her wrist, as far as he could reach through the bars which caged him in.

It did occur to him that Rexanna, with her negotiation skills and political history, had a chance of getting him freed. But he could not ask that; could not ask her to put herself on the line like that.
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
Despite her fears and anxiety, they’re washed away as soon as Bastien’s hands wrap around her own. A huff of a sigh escapes her lips and she begins to breathe easier, her sapphire gaze flickering from his face to his body despite his explanation. As soon as her physical check is done, she focuses in on him and finally absorbs the words he’d said. For a moment, she shakes her head as if she can’t believe it; but she can. This daring, rule breaking man, the one who’d always pressed all the buttons (even the wrong ones). Finally, she offers him a small smile and a nod.

I think so.” She admits carefully, her pale hands slipping into the cell to grasp onto his arms gently and stroke them reassuringly. “Unlike somebody I haven’t broken any rules.” There’s a wariness in the joke that she’s certain only Bastien would understand, and deep down she’s not even sure if she hasn’t broken any rules. But she has been careful and cautious, as much as she could. She wonders if it’s possible to speak to Zariah and ask for his release, to use her previous ruling from one leader to another to hopefully ease the sentence.

But she grows concerned again, wondering if he’s eaten anything. “Have you eaten? Have you spoken to anyone since being here?” She asks, any tidbit of information helpful — and if he’s feeling weary, her arm is open for him should he need it. “It took me a bit to find out where you’d gone.” She says carefully, aware of those listening. “I almost went straight to Zariah to ask what had happened; but I’m happy to say you look better than I anticipated.” She pauses, her eyes searching his face. “Maybe I’ll talk with the Queen and bring a gift for this little kindness.” If Bastien knew one thing of Rexanna, it was the way her words could be interpreted. To many, it would be normal and a kind thing to do — but to Bastien and those that knew her, likely would mean it would be a meeting of a different type.

You couldn’t show up with guns blazing if you wanted to get in with the monarchy.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien smiled as Rexanna told her joke and stroked his arms, breathing out a little sigh he didn't know he'd been holding in. As much as he liked being the first one arrested, liked to know he had taken a stand...until he had been with Rexanna he had not let himself admit even in his own mind that he was a little scared. Who wouldn't be? He did not know what this Zariah would do. No one did.

"Yes, though what they brought me could hardly count as food." Her next question was harder to answer and Bastien's eyes flicked over to the guard. "No, you are the first I have seen." He said, but caught her eyes with a serious stare and shook his head just slightly, enough that if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice. He hoped she would understand.

He knew exactly what she meant. And it worried him. This was exactly what he hadn't wanted; for Rexanna to through herself into the firing line for his sake. While at the moment it seemed Zariah was all bark and no bite, he knew dictators were often eager to spill a little blood to prove themselves. "You do not need to do that, Rexanna. I am sure it will blow over eventually, yes? All I did was ask a couple of questions. Perhaps I will ask to join the army in return for my freedom and escape that way. I do not want you to be hurt." He drew her hand just through the bars to kiss it.
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
A flicker of her brow as she meets Bastien’s serious stare and she offers him a beaming smile in response. “I’m glad you saw me first.” She says quietly, yet loud enough for the guards to hear and for Bastien to understand that ’yes, I understand’ but she can’t ask questions here, can’t dig down to find what the answers might be if they’re being watched. She doesn’t know who else had visited him, didn’t try to think of where the possibilities would lead her. But if Bastien didn’t want to say out loud, she imagined the person that had visited him had kept it a secret too. Perhaps that person is working out a way to get him free too.

And for a moment Rexanna is calmed by her thought process, and the tension that leaves Bastien at her round about suggestion. She shakes her head to him with a brilliant smile, her dark hair dancing in waves along her chest with the movement. “It’s far more likely she’d visit with someone she’s ruling over that’s done nothing wrong rather than one sitting in a cell, wouldn’t you think?” Her voice is soft but truthful in a sense. And at the very least, with Bastien being here, he couldn’t physically stop her. And Rexanna doesn’t imagine that it’ll be dangerous, either. As he kisses her arm, she strokes her fingers along his stubbled cheek and tilts her head to him with a gentle smile.

You don’t need to worry about me.” There’s a hard bit of truth in the words, despite knowing that’s likely all Bastien will do. Her fingers stroke along his cheek a few more moments and her eyes linger on his face and the state of where he’s been, and she hopes deep down she can get him free. Deep down, she misses him, so incredibly much that it almost hurts as she attempts to draw her hand back toward the bars. “I’ll bring your suggestion to her.” She offers gently, preparing to leave unless Bastien wished to visit for longer. Her mind is reeling and she’s trying to figure out how to get him out of here, and the only way she can get a clear head is to not be down in a dungeon-like atmosphere again.

She hopes he understands, and for the first time Rexanna appears softer than normal, more vulnerable than she had before — even when she spoke to Bastien about her other lives. Her fingertips trace the bars and she studies his face a bit more before sucking in a breath, slightly shaky and worried that she would be doing something wrong by professing what she hoped they both felt. “I should be back with news soon. And Bastien?” She pauses, thinking over the many months they’ve been together and what a wonderful time it had been. “Don’t do anything stupid in the meantime.” She pauses because she’s stalling. And she realizes she still can’t say it, somewhere within her she hopes he says it instead. Her gaze flickers to his eyes with a softness and warmth of love within them, as though her eyes can convey it better than she can articulate it.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

"Mmm. Not when it seems the line is so thin. I have not yet met Zariah since her...ascension to the throne, but I went from a citizen to a criminal in the blink of an eye. Some writing and some questions is all it took. I worry if you ask you will find yourself my cellmate in a moment. Not that I do not wish to live with you, but.." Bastien sighed and shrugged, smiling weakly at her reassurances and letting his face be held, worry clear in his dark eyes.

She hesitated, seemed like she was about to go; there was an instinctive and painful pull in his heart as he saw her move away. But then Rexanna moved back and said her words with such softness and sweetness Bastien could only close his eyes and smile. Wonder at how lucky he was.

But he knew that this was a delicate moment. Situations like these could turn in an instant and it was not completely impossible he would find himself on a guillotine in the morning; he had to act how he wanted to now before there was no chance. "I will not. Rexanna, just one more thing." He motioned for her to move closer. This was for her, not the guards or anyone else.

Once she was closer, he whispered: "I love you, with all my heart and more."
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
Her gaze softens on him as he explains, and she nods in response quietly, understanding what he means by living with him in a cell. Regardless of it all, despite the poor decisions he had made, she knows that he’ll change and adjust — if for nobody else but for her. And she hopes it’ll be enough. And as she instructs him, the words lingering on the tip of her tongue but unable to be said, afraid the timing was wrong, but also afraid she might not be afforded another chance to say it; she offers him a slightly wider smile as he confirms he won’t do anything else stupid. But then when he pauses once more, gesturing for her to come closer to the bars, she obliges.

Her fingers are still wound around the cold metal bars and she leans in close, as though he has a secret to tell her; but what he does tell her is far better than any kind of secret.

I love you, with all my heart and more.

She thought she’d be terrified of the words, because so many things had happened (such terrible, dark things) under the guise of love — but with Bastien it was different. Unlike everyone else, he cared for her. He cared so very much, that she almost couldn’t contain the spiraling of butterflies within her stomach and the small pricks of tears that rushed for her sapphire eyes. But she is able to, as she turns to look at him through the bars and reaches through again to stroke his check and his temple, a finger curling in his tangled hair. “I love you too, Bastien.” She says quietly, only so he could hear. “So, so very much.” and it almost breaks her heart to leave him there; but with the revelation she can’t seem to wait to try and get him out — to share in the abundance of love and what it truly is like.

She can’t do that when he’s down here. She can’t embrace him and bury her face into his chest, into his (lukewarm) warmth, and forget about all the other problems in the world. So she moves away from the bars and offers him the brightest grin she can before turning away from him.

Rexanna has so much work to do.