Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
phoebe
Sleep and I shall soothe you, calm you, and annoint you
She saw the way his expression dropped, felt the way he stiffened under her touch, and in a way, felt her own heart drop to her stomach. Was this going to be another one of those fights? Would this make them snap? Was the dream and glow of happiness going to be dissipated once more? Phoebe swallowed and looked at the ground as he stepped away and began to...not yell at her; but he was clearly displeased with her thinking.

He asked her why she was willing to bend to this new rule, and silently she turned away and went to the oven. The young midwife remained silent as she checked, then pulled the pie out. She set it on a small rack to cool, extinguishing the flame in the oven before turning back to face him, expression an odd cross between serious and sad.

"A few reasons. The first being that I sort of agree with what she has set forth as laws so far. Yes, her method wasn't tactful, but the content is sound. An armt to protect us is important. We don't know who all is out there, or what they will think of us, and I have seen first hand how important a prepared military is to protecting the people. Not only that, she is making real steps to put aside divisive ideas to make us one whole people. I've...I don't want to be an Outlander anymore. I want to be part of a people again. I want to be a Hollowed Grounder like you and everyone else." she said, feeling tears well up in her eyes and she paused, tipping her head back to keep them from falling as she stared at the ceiling. After a moment she sighed and looked at him again.

"But also, what is me being angry going to do? I am not as powerful as her. I don't have the mind to lead a nation. And frankly, Emmett, I think you're being indulgent of yourself and irresponsible. I want you to really think about this. You say you're standing for your principles. Alright. Fine. So you end up in jail. There is no one to run the farm anymore. Chris and Milly have basically no stability. I doubt I won't even be able to keep them because there will be a line out the door of Natural farmfolk ready to remind me I don't belong and shouldn't keep them while you're in jail. And then, worst case scenario, you get put to death for defying the crown. And for a while people will whisper about it, they will be angry, for a moment you will be a martyr for your principles. Then in two weeks or so, most everyone will have got on with their lives and forgotten about you. And all you will have left is a grieving girlfriend, a forgotten farm, and two toddlers who have lost one more member of their family." she said, her voice tight with emotion by the end - tight, but calm and measured. There was no yelling or screaming, just calm reasoning with a hint of her inner hurt and turmoil. A few tears rolled down her cheeks, and she quickly wiped her eyes to dry them.

Frey, give her strength.

"I know how this goes, Emmett. I have witnessed it enough times in my own world. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but it is reality. I have chosen to continue to do what good I can for the people I care for within the constraints of this new rule. You have to decide for yourself what is more important, your principles, or your family. You cannot have both in this situation." she said quietly, watching him seriously.

Messages In This Thread
Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Phoebe - 06-25-2019, 11:39 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Emmett - 06-26-2019, 08:31 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Phoebe - 06-26-2019, 08:41 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Emmett - 06-26-2019, 10:00 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Phoebe - 06-26-2019, 10:11 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Emmett - 06-27-2019, 06:36 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Phoebe - 06-27-2019, 06:58 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Emmett - 06-27-2019, 09:04 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Phoebe - 06-27-2019, 09:23 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Emmett - 06-28-2019, 09:22 PM
RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - by Phoebe - 06-28-2019, 10:02 PM