Becoming
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87

Since his training with Zariah, Peter had spent nearly every free moment he had working to try to unlock some new magical ability. He wanted so badly to live up to her expectations, but he didn’t know how to even begin trying to teach himself something that would impress her.  

Peter lost track of how many hours he spent trying to exert a will he didn’t understand over the world around him. Candle lights, small pebbles, the earth under his feet. Anything he had seen another affect, he tried to do himself. And every time, it ended the same. Failure, and frustration, and a new addition to the evergrowing chasm of worry in his chest. Maybe he wasn’t good enough for this, maybe he had no potential. Despair didn’t stop him from trying though, and finally, finally, his efforts paid off, quite by accident. He had reached for a glass of water, and to his surprise, it reached back towards him.

After a moment of experimentation, testing the limits of his new abilities, Peter was moving through the manor and looking for Zariah. She was usually in one of a handful of places, and when Peter stumbled across her he bowed deeply, conscious of his disheveled training clothes, but too excited to have delayed this further.

When he was permitted to speak, Peter did, an obvious undercurrent of excitement running through his words. ”My Queen, I have... something to show you.”
PET
he is trying to tell you that there is some sort of shining star now buried deep inside him and he has to dig it out with a knife.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Zariah was relaxing in the family room after a long audience session of…nothing. Absolute nothingness. She had heard about all of this grumbling and griping about her reign and yet not a damn person hardly ever showed up to ask her anything. Typical. So many people took such pleasure in complaining, such pride in pointing out injustices and bruised egos, yet had absolutely no follow through to get anything done. It was exactly that sort of habit that resulted in the barrier being up for 300 years.

When Peter entered, he would find her lounging on one of the overstuffed couches, her hair splayed out over a throw pillow, legs crossed and up along the backrest of the couch. Even Queens needed moments to simply exist after all. Hazel eyes glanced up at Peter as he entered, the woman making no move to rise or shift to a more formal position. ”Peter. You look…a mess.” she noted dryly, raising a brow at him. At least she was in normal clothes and not disheveled training gear, even if she was splayed out on the couch like a cat in the sun.

”What is it?” she asked, wondering what on earth he could be so eager to show her.
zariah
If it is danger you seek, come on over. I covet tranquility but beget the tempest storm.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

As Peter rose out of his bow, he tried in vain to straighten out his outfit, the tips of his ears red with embarrassment. ”I’m sorry. I was... I was excited, and I wanted to come and... show you quickly.”

Holding out his hand, Peter revealed the sphere of water that he had been cradling since he discovered he could make it. Somehow, it seemed less impressive now, with Zariah actually watching him, but he couldn’t back away now. With a little effort, he moved the sphere, coiling  it smoothly between his fingers without letting the water touch his skin, then returning it to its initial sphere shape.

”You told me to... work on my abilities, and I have.” Peter nodded as he spoke, then dropped his eyes to the ground. ”I know I... it needs more. But I’m going to practice, and make it better. More useful for you.”
PET
he is trying to tell you that there is some sort of shining star now buried deep inside him and he has to dig it out with a knife.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Zariah raised a brow at him as he straightened his clothes and apologized. ”It isn’t something to apologize for, just a statement of fact. You do live here – if you’re going to look a mess anywhere it’d best be here.” she said with a shrug. She didn’t really care frankly. It wasn’t like there was anyone around she was worried about impressing.

She watched as he revealed a small sphere of water in his hand, then laced it through his fingers before having it regain the shape. Now, this was interesting. ”Water manipulation.” she identified, quite intrigued. ”That is a skill none of us yet possessed. This is a good development. Well done, Peter.” she praised, knowing that like with Edrei, her words of praise would go far for him.

”Focus on building up this skill, and then we shall be waterboarding prisoners before you know it.” she said with a smirk at her own dark joke, glancing back up at the ceiling.
zariah
If it is danger you seek, come on over. I covet tranquility but beget the tempest storm.
Peter Pikely

Change author:

The effect of Zariah’s praise was immediately obvious on Peter, his body straightening even more and his face brightening. He didn’t smile, but he came as close as Zariah would have seen from him.

”Thank you.” He said, so quickly his tongue nearly tripped on the words. ”I will, I’ll practice until... until you’re happy with my skills.” Until he could do what she needed him to. Waterboarding, or anything else, he was going to do it to the best of his abilities.

Bowing again, Peter turned to leave, then paused. The thought of Adam throbbed in the back of his head like a sore tooth, and he found himself turning back towards the family matriarch, playing with the water in his hands in lieu of twiddling his fingers. ”I um... I also wanted to ask a question. About... relationships?” Peter winced his way through the words, feeling stupid and childish, but not sure how else to ask.
PET
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
If praise was all it took to keep Peter content with his new family, Zariah would be happy to scatter it here and there to keep his interest. As a Launceleyn, she did care for him in her own rather twisted way. Business of course came first, but she preferred her family members be happy and content with their lives, and trust her for that as much as they trusted her out of fear and duty. "I will be pleased when you have mastered it." she said, making her expectations clear. "If the Launceleyns are to raise the magic users up in society, we must be the representative example of the power only we destined possess." she said, finally straightening herself to a sitting position.

He turned to leave and she thought that was the end of the conversation. But he stopped and turned back. What was this now?

She tilted herself slightly at his question. Relationships? "That is a fairly broad category." she said, crossing her arms as she leaned back into the couch. "As family Head, I will arrange you a suitable marriage by which you will be expected to beget children with magical abilities. Those without will be stripped of their name and kept only as servants and training tools. This is the way Launceleyns have strengthened the magical bloodlines over centuries. Since we do not know your heritage, this will be particularly important in regards to you." she said, watching him carefully.

"Why? Has someone caught your eye, Peter?"
zariah
Peter Pikely

Change author:

As soon as Zariah’s expectations left her lips, Peter was practicing, twirling the water around his hand absentmindedly, focusing on his control more than anything. If he was going to be an example, he was going to be as impressive as he could manage, and that didn’t start with sloppy technique.

It was clear Peter was surprised by the prospect of marriage, and again by that of children. The subject had never been something he had put any thought into, though having it lined up for him did sound simpler than trying to wade through the tangle of it himself. Training tools has him peeking up again though, his face blank and an insidious whisper in his ears.

”I do know um... my mother, she knew magic. And... her mother, and... and on like that.” Peter nodded, knowing that simply his word wouldn’t be enough, but hoping it would assuage some of the doubts surrounding him regardless. With Zariah’s eyes on him, he was careful about selecting his words, taking a deep breath before responding to her question. ”No, no one has... caught my eye.” He shifted, straightening a bit.

”I... may have caught um... someone else’s though.” There was the faintest tinge of pink, at the tips of his ears. His words weren’t no entirely a lie this way, but his traitorous voice still quavered, knowing he was keeping something hidden.
PET
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah raised a brow as Peter spoke of his heritage, but otherwise showed no sign of surprise. "Yes, the Launceleyn's have long known that magical blood is particularly strong in and generally passed from the matrilineal line. It is why we are particularly stringent on who our female members breed with, not wishing to introduce subpar bloodlines into those we have cultivated over centuries." she said by way of explanation. It was a pity the men who led to Peter's existence were likely not of magical blood. He could have been much more powerful were that the case. But he was making the best of a poor hand and doing well enough.

Her head tilted the other way at the revelation that Peter's had not been caught, but that he had caught the eye of another. "Is that so? And who might that be? I should like to know who has their eyes on my dear cousin." she said. Part of her thought he might say Edrei. But she would quickly dispell any discomfort there - Edrei had her eyes on everyone pretty much. There was no need to think it anything serious - just a passing fancy.
zariah
Peter Pikely

Change author:

The care that the family had put into their bloodlines was a little intimidating. Not for the first time, Peter wondered if he was really worthy of this, of a place here. It was interesting as well, every time he spoke with Zariah he learned a little more, grew a little bit more comfortable in his place.

”No, no, he’s... he’s no one.” Peter replied quickly, trying to seem like he had no stakes in this. He did like Adam, but... ”He’s not anyone... suitable, like... like what you were saying. Just an... just an accepted man, we... we’re friends.” He nodded again, agreeing with himself like it would make his words that much more convincing. ”I’ll put him out of my mind.”
PET
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
”…he’s…

Well now, that was mildly unexpected. Two Launceleyn men now, couriering the attentions of other men. Such things had been terribly illegal where Zariah had originated but…well frankly she was having a hard to bringing herself to care. What really could come of it anyways? The way Peter stumbled over himself, explaining, backtracking, promising to forget – they were all lies. Lies buried in good intent. Lies convoluted by attempts to make them truths. But she knew all to well that affection once had was impossible to forget.

Briefly her mind wandered to Neron again. Certainly he was here in Caido somewhere. Certainly if the Voice had brought Loren of all of Cyton’s offspring, they had brought Neron as well.

She put it out of her mind, focusing again on Peter. She raised a hand to stop his stammering, considering him seriously. ”You will someday marry and have children to carry on the Launceleyn legacy. However, so long as you make no promises of exclusivity to this man – for that would be one you could not keep – I care not what you do in your private time. No bastards can come of this arrangement after all.” she said with a shrug. That was really more her concern. ”So keep your plaything, for that is what he will be. Tell me his name though, so I might know who he is.” she said.
zariah
Peter Pikely

Change author:

For all the worry that coursed through him, the way his mouth ran on trying to excuse and explain, it did not compare to his sense of obedience. As soon as Zariah’s hand came up, he was silent, not speaking, not moving, barely breathing. The look on her face worried him, but he didn’t let it show on his face, a blankness spreading over his features as he waited for her to speak.

No promises of exclusivity? That was simple enough. As far as Peter was concerned, his life really wasn’t his own anyway, never had been. Marriage and children had never been a part of his plan, but if it’s what he was told to do he would. The true weight of what Zariah had said hit him a moment later, his brows rising in quiet surprise. She was... allowing this?

”His name is Adam. Adam... Adam Pikely.” Peter hastened to reply, not wanting to jeopardize this unexpected allowance. He didn’t want to find out if this was a privilege that he could lose. ”Thank you Zariah.” There was true gratitude in his voice, shown doubly by the way he bowed as he answered.
PET
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
”Adam Pikely.” she mused aloud, trying to place the name with a face and failing.

Though Peter had done nothing in her mind to jeopardize himself, he had severely jeopardized this Adam Pikely. While she was allowing Peter his plaything, she would indeed be supervising the arrangement. The second that he posed a threat to her family or her hold to power – the second he stood in the way of her goals for the Hollowed Grounds and the Launceleyns – he would be snuffed out like a candle, and she knew Peter would understand, the dear he was.

”You are quite welcome, I appreciate you seeking my permission first.” she said to him with a hint of a smile. ”I do hope this Adam Pikely appreciates the freedom I am allowing you, and will speak kindly of his queen in the future.” she said lightly, as if it were a throw away comment. But if Peter was shrewd, he would know it an unspoken contingency. Her price of Peter was his loyalty and agreement to marry and beget little Launceleyn children regardless of this man’s place in his life. Her price for Adam was his support – a price Peter would have to make sure he paid.
zariah
Peter Pikely

Change author:

”I wouldn’t do anything without your permission.” It was easy to say, in front of Zariah, in the manor. There was no confusion here, nothing tugging him this way or that. Simply the life he’d always known, that he’d been moulded into, but better now than he’d ever known before. This wasn’t just an obligation, it was a family.

Peters face didn’t move in response to her comment, he simply blinked, warning flaring in the back of his mind. ”Of course, he’s... he’s going to be grateful.” The words were backed up with a thin smile of his own, though smiling was he last thing he actually wanted to do. ”I’ll... I’m going to get back to my... to my training. Thank you. For um, for speaking with me.” With another bow, Peter turned, and left the room quietly, not wanting to intrude upon Zariah’s time any longer than he needed.
PET