open | Toast
Freelancer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: kore Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
By early noon, she'd wandered into the ruins, at first following the clues of civilization the wind brought her though found herself struggling to maintain her path, not because path-finding in the ruins was difficult (it was), but rather because she was easily distracted. With the realization that things could simply be conjured from nothing, Pap had developed a friendly suspicion of anything that looked out of place, and the thing about waking up somewhere new was that everything was out of place.

So she meandered and backtracked and investigated, treating the ruins like a leisurely stroll rather than a dangerous excursion, a glittering jingling ball of energy flitting from one curious gap in the stones to another attempting to flush out any sign of magic or treasure they might might hide. She was no stranger to practicing a bit of layman's archaeology/grave-robbery in her time, and with the buildings looking well and truly abandoned for the most part she had no qualms about picking up anything glittering or interesting she might have found, because truly, who would miss it? She had seen evidence of magic, not of vengeful spirits.

A lull in her discoveries came by late afternoon - she had perched herself on a stone wall, unfastening a flask from her hip and raising a toast to her strange mistake in trusting alleyway doors. The mystery of it was certainly more interesting than any tavern she had been to, but it was thirsty work getting into everything she could lay hands on and taverns had a habit of serving drinks. Maybe she would finally head into 'town' and look for one.
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Age: 41 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 1 - Int:
Played by: Sassmeister Offline
Change author:
Pacing up the path, Eli frowned, this had suppose to have been a trek to get a lay of the surrounding land, but now he's gotten a little turned around, he'd spent the last good hour or so trying to retrace his steps through the crumbling ruins and half standing monuments to times long past, to no avail. This wouldn't do.

He exhaled, hand resting on the hilt of the blade that was protruding from the tanned leather scabbard that had been fastened securely to his belt. He certainly had been busy over the time he'd been here, making sure he looked a bit more usual, and not a strange man in strange, tattered clothes; continuing forward he raised a brow. A woman? A- large woman. He sighed a little and pushed forward, perhaps she was just as lost as him.

"Hey you!" He yelled as he wandered nearer.

"Do you know the way back to town." His tone was the same, rough and ready, asking the question as more a demand than anything, as if she definitely knew and she had to tell him. He winced, trying to get a better look at her as he closed the distance up the dusty, sun baked street toward her.
Freelancer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Hey you! Pap's attention snapped toward the shout, downing another swallow of the flask's content as she allowed the stranger to get a bit closer than shouting distance, capping the container and clipping it to her belt once more. In the time it took she managed to squeeze a few side-bends in, flashing the rather demanding, rather loud stranger a bright grin. "Yeah? Me?" Her pleasant chirp was a dramatic contrast to the barking demands that he doled out readily, evidently not all that bothered by being spoken as though she were some sort of masochistic city information operator.

Being not all that bothered didn't help make her miraculously competent as a navigator, however as she cheerfully informed him that she did not, in fact, know the way. "Couldn't tell you. Haven't even seen it - did see a couple of teeny people with wings, however. They have a sign and everything - something about a contest." She slid down from her perch, squinting as a dusty gale smacked her square in the face and vanished again. Smearing the back of her hand across her eyes, Papillion trotted up to him not unlike a very friendly stray dog, jingling with each bounce step.

"What's its name, anyway? Is it even a town? I mean looking at this place..." It was kinda bad, if she was being honest - Pap trailed off, drawing to a halt several arms length out of reach but at a distance still a bit too familiar for a stranger to be approaching someone like Eli at. "I mean, it's quaint. Needs a bit of paint... maybe a demolition team."
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Age: 41 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
With a raised brow he pondered as he was bombarded with questions, a little take a back by her rather chipper attitude. Tiny... people? Was she one something?

He shook his head, she clearly wasn't going to be much use. Obviously. He was use to it at this point. He tilted his head a little.

"I have no idea what it's called, and I don't much care- look could you slow down for a minute. Take a damn breath."

He exhaled, trying his best to get her a calm down a little so his mind could catch up with the rest of the 'conversation', though how much conversation was a bombardment of questions he wasn't sure. He looked over his shoulder the way he'd come, eyes narrowing to make out the path turning off in the distance. He looked back, tongue idly running over his bottom lip.

"You're new aren't ya'- got pulled in, same as a lot of us." He knew the answer, but just wanted to make sure.
Freelancer

Change author:
As requested, Pap heaved a deep breath, clasping her hands behind her back. With wide steel eyes she watched him, still wearing a slightly muted grin. In her estimation, he was absolutely useless.

"I got pulled nowhere," the woman corrected him, placing her hands on waist, her stand broad. "I just walked in a door and-" She made a wooshing sound to indicate the apparent involvement of magic in her arrival. She was still impressed by the concept of it, only a tiny bit less than she was by the functional application. At the very least she seemed to have slowed down, as thought he gesture were a decompression of building energy. With it released, she could speak at a normal cadence. "Then I went for a walk, found that sign and those people and now we're here." She lifted her arms, gesturing around. "Nowhere."

Pap flashed a wide toothy grin as her hands clapped down on her hips again, arms loose at her sides, evidently pleased by her lousy humor. "I was going to make my way over - can't find it by the streets but I figure there's something tall enough and sturdy enough to act as a vantage point... but why are you out here?"
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
She seemed far to energetic for him. Eli was rather taken-a-back. He paused for a minute, gazing at her suspiciously, she wasn't going to suddenly mug him was she? "Yeah- I think I saw you at the sign, I was there too it's why I'm our here among other things, I was attempted to find my way back and got... turned around."

He frowned, looking about again, he seemed reluctant to admit that to a stranger but he has to say something. "There's a tower back the way I came I believe can be climbed, I didn't attempt to see if I could get entry. Come."

Without another word he turned, assuming she was going to follow and together they'd actually get back to civilisation.
Freelancer

Change author:
"We don't have to go in it." Papillion practically sang the words as her eyes rolled so far back in her head that they seemed at serious risk of getting lost back there. She was happy to follow despite the impish lack of respect she apparently meant to pay him, jingling after him. "Great thing about these old buildings is all the handholds they build into them!" She quite literally jogged on ahead of him in a clatter of gold and gems, taking several long, loping strides before spotting what it was she had been looking for. She drew to a halt, raising an arm to shield her face from yet another gust of chilly breeze as well as the glare of a slowly sinking sun.

Raising and arm she waved him over to her and pointed at a stone house with wooden beams built into the walls as support. "Best climb I ever had were these ruins, dead in the center of a rain forest - thought I'd drown taking a deep breath some days, it was that humid!" She stepped up, running her hands along the surface of the stones. Here the winds had begun to wear away at the facing some, enough for toe purchase. With her immense wingspan she reached up to the top of a door frame, snagging the edge of it with her fingers, the muscles and tendons bunching and showing beneath bronzed skin of her forearm... but she did not swing her way up, only turning to look at him in a way that suggested that this had been a performance entirely for his benefit. A lesson.

"As the mortar wears from between the stones it leaves handholds, but best of all it's just the style of the building. That ruin in the rain forest, they had all this stonework, just beautiful reliefs and sculptures - everything was a work of art. These aren't half as pretty but they'll do." The woman stepped back, dusting her hands off as she fixed the red leather and heavy cloth vest she wore, tightening the laces and tying two knots before continuing on at a slower, more conversational pace, hitching up her belt with shimmy and sparkle. Glittery. She stretched her fingers as they walked. "I got a pair of gloves you can borrow even - protect them delicate hands of yours - unless you still wanna go in." A wolfish grin curled across her lips as she turned to him. One could swear by the look of devilment that there were only a few tenuous threads of self control that restrained her from outright calling him a chicken.
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
Truly she was like a toddler to Eli in many ways, so full of excitement and energy, like a puppy actually. He trailed along behind her, eying the house she'd indicated. Rain forest? Where was she from he wondered. He eyed her as she gave her 'lesson', mrm, yes he was a skilled climber in many ways, and he was a little skeptical of how good she actually was, so admittedly, she had the build for it.

The challenge however made him scowl, he was perfectly able to scale the building if he so wished and to suggest otherwise was as rude as anything.

"I have some. You keep hold of them." His words came sharply as he stared towards the half destroyed tower in question; he frowned, he didn't much enjoy climbing as a hobby, and if there was a way to go up that didn't involve it, he'd take it- normally. However her actions had pushed a challenge into his mind.

"After you then. Let's see how good of a climber you are." He offered a small grin, it was quite something.
Freelancer

Change author:
With a gasp of surprised delight, Pap drew back, a hand fluttering to her chest at the grin - she was not so oblivious that she couldn't understand how rare such a thing surely was. Thrilled by her "accomplishment", and more so by his acceptance of her challenge, the woman seemed to practically vibrate with energy again. Directing her gaze toward the tower, Pap pressed an excited squeak! of delight into the crook of her elbow.

Shaking out her hands Pap began toward the base of the tower, overtaking him at a loping pace. "I'd worry more about yourself," Pap shot back over her shoulder with chime of laughter in her voice. "I'll worry about me." Wiping her hands down on her trousers she did not, in fact, fish out a pair of gloves but tackled the wall bare-handed, jogging to the foot of it where she paced a moment, eyeing up the structure, choosing the more structurally sound wall remaining of the partially fallen tower as a likely foothold.

She moved cautiously, though childhood of tackling rockfaces of her mountainous home made the process of selection and upward movement proceed at a steady clip. Here she was comfortable, shimmying up the uneven stone face to the sill of a lower window sill some nine foot from the ground where she secured a hand and foothold, peering in. "Hey, what do you think this building was for?" She called down to Eli over her shoulder. "Think they left anything cool in there?"
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
Eli watched with a degree of interest as she started scaling the building, he folded his arms and nodded a little, okay he had to admit she was rather better than he expected, though she indeed had the build of a climber, and for that he had to give her credit. He waited a few moments as she put some distance between them before he himself sauntered up to the side of the building, choosing the same path she had done, not caring to protect his hands as well, they were practically made of calluses. He grunted, shimmying up with what hand grips he could use, extending his arms fully to maximise his movement potential, there was no use bending his elbows to hug the building as that wouldn't allow him to swing himself up to catch hold of the next handgrip he spotted.

"I really don't have any idea what this building was for, does it really matter?" Clearly he wasn't the inquisitive sort, he didn't -need- to know what the building had been and he didn't much care in all honesty, it was just a crumbling ruin. "As for leaving anything 'cool' I wouldn't know, you can go and find out can't you." He grunted a little as he reached for a hand grip JUST within reach, fingertips barely scraping along it. He was indeed perhaps not a better climber than her, but he was serviceable, that was certain.
Freelancer

Change author:
"You were the one that wanted to go inside," Pap reminded him, looking down as he began to gain on her. Pulling her head from the window, the woman looked up and mentally took note of the path laid out before her, reaching to take hold of of a narrow ledge above the window built into the stonework, hauling herself up the wall with a soft grunt. "Doesn't look like the stairs go up anyway."

The roof of the tower had long ago collapsed inward along with the wall at the top of the tower where rows of windows could be made out in the rubble. Dragging herself in through a gap in the masonry, Pap peeked out once again at her companion. The stairs leading down were in places missing, one could see through the stairwell. Perhaps this place had once been a watch tower or a signal of sorts, Pap being fairly convinced that it reminded her of the lighthouses that dotted the coastline she'd lived in as a youth and into her adult years. As he neared the top she extended a strong arm down to hoist him up by. "Watch your step - I'd stay near the walls. Less of a chance to fall through."
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
"Well." Eli started. "I suppose that's the end of that mystery." He grunted, moving up the last few parts before a hard was outstretched, he grabbed it without thinking, Pap pulling him up as he sneered a little, finally getting up on to the room. He peered around- there was certainly a lot more that you could see, and you could even make out the outlines of the settlement in the distance, it seemed the plan had worked. All that needed to happen now was actually getting back to the settlement, and it seemed rather easy to get turned around within the ruins, doubling back on yourself and other such nonsense things. "What do we do from here then?" Eli grunted, raising his brow and eyeing her, he exhaled, looking back around idly, the view was rather nice, he could admit that at least. He considered actually heading inside the building to explore that, but he wasn't much of an explorer and he highly doubted there would be anything interesting, I mean look at it, it was a complete ruin and had most likely been picked clean. It didn't seem worth it.
Freelancer

Change author:
"Well, we take a long look, I guess." Pap sidled past him, passing around the brute before slinking up against the wall once again. "We're going to have to memorize all of those roads." Pap heaved a heavy sigh as she looked wistfully toward the curls of smoke in the distance, leaning heavily on a standing pillar of rock that seemed thankfully sturdy.

"Looks like a long walk, you sure that place is worth it? I mean it looks kind of tiny from all the way up here." She squinted, raising a hand to shield the sun from her gaze. "I mean it looks like there's good hunting grounds everywhere but here - plenty of trees, too." Twisting at the waist she turned toward her grumbling new friend, wiping sweat from her brow on her forearm.

"Maybe you have time for a quick look around? Wanna see how far down we can go before we find a dead end? Maybe we didn't climb up here for nothing." And she was moving again, brushing past him toward the dark stairwell, wetting her lips with a flick of her tongue. "You coming?"
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
Eli murmured a little as she spoke; even he would admit, the settlement wasn't exactly big, it was tiny, miniature even to places he'd seen. "Yeah you've got that right..." he commented, though the idea of memorising all the roads seemed practical, if not time consuming, he conceded to the idea as well- he didn't have a better one. As she began decending he peered over to her, waiting for a moment for her to clear a distance between them before he himself pushed himself up.

"Yeah, yeah I'm coming, keep your hair on." he offered with a slight grin, pushing himself onward down the stairs with her. "Maybe we will find something for all I know, hell I don't know much if I'm being honest.

He wasn't exactly sure why he'd found himself exploring with this woman, she seemed a little too excitable and that unnerved him just a little, the unpredictability of it all, it kept him on edge, but that feeling was pushed aside by actually doing something interesting for once, and it wasn't too bad having a bit of company for along for the ride, especially company that wasn't at all hesitant about things.