The Long, Dark Night
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 3081
Isla

this won't hurt a bit

Word had spread through the Sanctuary like wildfire. One monster. Four combatants. Two captains down. Well, ex-captains technically, but old habits were hard to break. The infirmary was still in its early stages, but after meeting an alchemist and fashioning something that roughly resembled a fraction of her equipment back in Northaven, Isla felt a little more confident. Which was good, because with the arrival of Roana and Ronin, she had her work cut out for her. The urge to panic and call for any reinforcements necessary was quickly stifled - more hands would make clumsy work, right now.

Roana was the most immediate emergency, or so she had assumed, and Isla had set to work quickly to operate, stop the bleeding and close the lacerations. That in itself took her until sunset - by which time the other captain, it seemed, was getting worse.

It was at that point that Isla found the jagged fang still embedded in one of the wounds - wounds that were inflamed and had caused a mighty fever to rage through the former baron. She took the tooth away for further examination - for now, though, the only thing they could do was ride it out and search desperately for anything to cleanse the bite wound.

Roana

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Roana would have warned Isla that her fellow ex-captain was in more danger than herself. Roana would have insisted that her fellow ex-captain receive care first. All things she would have done…had she not been delirious with blood loss by the time she reached the infirmary. The fact that she was still on her feet when she got there was a surprise in and of itself. By the time she was laid down so Isla could do her work she promptly passed out – a blessing in disguise since getting stitches with no anesthetic is unbearably painful.

When she regained consciousness, Roana was pale as a ghost and felt nauseous, completely broken out into a cold sweat. Extreme blood loss would do that to a person. Her brow furrowed and she tried to sit up, gasping in pain as the newly repaired wounds tugged. Immediately she flopped back down on her back, turning her head to look at Isla and Ronin. “W-what?” she was confused, and unsure where she was. Everything felt muddled.

Ronin
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
R O N I N

{This fulfils Ronin\'s obligation to have his next thread be with a healer.}

Everything felt muddled, and Ronin could relate. He'd been alright, sort of, getting away from the Spire. His shoulder stung like a bitch and it was bleeding profusely, but he hadn't been nearly disembowelled so he still considered Roana a more urgent case. Something he pointed out to those at the infirmary when they arrived, which probably didn't help his own case in the long run. He still felt muzzy and dizzy and altogether not good, but he put it down to what had happened.

Then, of course, they got a good look at his shoulder, and hoo-boy he was in trouble. So much trouble, in fact, that he didn't even realise it any more. By the time Roana awoke he would be very much on the opposite end of consciousness, prone in the cot next to hers (the curtain had been drawn back at Ronin's insistence - he didn't like the idea of being in a box). He was deathly pale beneath the flush of fever, shirtless with a heavy bandage covering his shoulder. At the sound of his fellow soldier's voice, however, he groaned and stirred ever so slightly, opening bloodshot eyes to peer dazedly around the place. Hey... he mumbled to her.

Phoebe

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe had been left with her three nephews while Roana had been trying to set up the settlement. Or help with it. They had no real structure yet. With survival as the main need, formal political structures were falling by the wayside. But when Roana didn't return on time she got worried. So the young midwife packed up the three five year olds and went out to look for her.

That was when she heard that the two former Captain's had been taken to the infirmary with grave injuries. Phoebe felt her stomach flip and headed there immediately.

"Boys, sit here and do not move." She told the triplets upon arrival in a very stern tone. The boys nodded trying to peer into the room with wide worried eyes. Phoebe rushed in, rolling her sleeves up as she did so. She didn't recognize the woman tending them, but she seemed to know what she was doing. "How can I help?" She asked, not quite sure the extent of the damage yet. "I'm a midwife, I can do some of the basics." Blood didn't bother her. Stitches she could do in her sleep. Literally keeping someone alive during a physically traumatic time was her skillset. Whatever was instructed she would set to immediately.

Isla
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Isla

this won't hurt a bit

Isla turned at the sound of voices, eyes widening as her gaze fell upon Roana who was apparently trying to sit up. "I really wouldn't," she said to the former captain, stepping up beside her cot and checking her over briefly, before letting out a long sigh of relief. "You were hurt," she said slowly, "out by the Spire. Do you remember? My name is Isla, and I'm a medic at the infirmary. I had to perform surgery on you to save your life."

At that moment her other patient had come around, miraculously, and a woman she didn't really recognise had stepped into the room. She was about to advise giving them some space, thinking her a visitor (especially with the children outside), but when the word 'midwife' fell from her lips Isla relaxed immediately and nodded at Ronin.

"He was bitten by something venomous," she murmured. "Something indescribable, or nearly so, if the people who brought him here are to be believed. I got one of its fangs and I'm working on trying to figure out what to do next. But the wounds are deep and he has a fever. That's the biggest problem, currently."

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Roana’s brow furrowed as an unfamiliar woman spoke to her. She was trying to place her face to no avail. Alas, it was unnecessary. The woman introduced herself and that was enough to satisfy her curiosity. She tried to think…did she remember this? Slowly but surely the events of the previous afternoon came back to her. The spire. The terrifyingly powerful beast. She nodded, then looked at Ronin again. “Hey.” She said weakly as concern crossed her features. “How’s your arm? Did it burn off like your sleeve?” she asked. She was worried for her fellow soldier. “It was toxic.” You didn’t need to see the fang if you had been there to know some sort of poison was in its bite. She had seen exactly what it did to Ronin’s arm.

Then Phoebe arrived. Roana looked and saw her boys peering in from the doorway with wide glassy eyes. It was scary for kids that small to see their parents hurt – parents were invincible at that age. “It’s okay boys, momma is okay.” She said to them as assuringly as she could…but she was covered in her own blood, unable to sit up in bed. You could pull the wool over a child’s eyes sometimes, but some realities were impossible to hide. “Phoebe is really talented.” She told Isla, vouching for her sister in law’s abilities to help.

Ronin
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
R O N I N

There was far too much talking going on in the room, and Ronin was finding it difficult to separate the voices into sentences and sense. He drew in a long, shaky breath and let it out again, closing his eyes once more so he could try to gather together the ribbons of his thoughts. The Spire... someone had mentioned the Spire... Suddenly, unbidden, the creature sprung to life in his head and his eyes snapped back open, chest heaving.

"Hn?" Roana's voice made it through that time, Ronin turning his head (and regretting it instantly because oh boy did that hurt) enough to see the bandages that covered his bicep and forearm. He wiggled his fingers experimentally. "Arm's still there," he mumbled. "Doesn't feel great though. How're you?" He felt too hot. Or too cold? He didn't bloody know.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe nodded when Isla gave her assessment of the situation. While she was still talking, Phoebe went over to the supplies and grabbed a few rags. The fever was problematic but not impossible to treat at least. The poison was going to be the trickier part since they didn’t know what it was or what would cure it. So for now she focused on what she could do, dousing the rags in cool water, wringing them out, and then going back to @Ronin’s side. She placed one rag across his forehead and another she tucked behind his neck, loosely wrapping it around the front to keep it there.

By now she was sure the poison was likely too far in his system to suck out, and the wounds would likely too big to do so given the size of the tooth Isla held. The best thing she could do was to keep Ronin talking and alert, so if there was a big change in his health it would be readily noticed. “Ronin, my name is Phoebe. Roana is my sister-in-law. It is very nice to meet you. Do you remember what happened when the creature bit you?” she asked in her sweet and gentle manner, trying to prompt him to speak at some length.
Phoebe
Be gentle to all and stern with yourself
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

this won't hurt a bit

The helping hand was very much appreciated, especially given how understaffed the infirmary seemed to be at present. Isla smiled gratefully to Phoebe and nodded as she moved away to help take care of Ronin - given that Roana was the one who'd had the immediate operation, she was more concerned with checking on her. Not that she wasn't concerned about the other former captain, but as Phoebe had rightly identified, there was little to be done for the poison right now.

The tooth she would have to give more thought to, as well. But it could wait. "They can come in, if you like," she said to Roana of her sons. "As long as they don't go jumping all over you. That would be... less than ideal. Smiling over her shoulder at the midwife, she nodded at Roana's assessment.

"So I can see. She's a stroke of luck right now, for sure."

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
Roana wouldn’t even get a chance to tell the boys to come in. They heard the new lady say they could come in and they came bounding in like puppies let off a leash in a dog park. “Boys!” Roana said, not quite a shout but definitely in a loud, commanding tone. The triplets skidded to a halt just at the side of her bed, wide-blue eyes staring up at her. Roana sighed and placed a hand on her aching abdomen. Shouting definitely didn’t make that feel any better. “Momma doesn’t feel very good so you have to be gentle okay?” Rhett and Jax looked at Cormac, the boy in the middle who was effectively the ringleader of the trio. ”Okay, momma we be gentle.” he said, slowly clambering up onto the bed to sit on the edge of it next to her. Rhett and Jax followed suit, sitting as still as five year olds could.

“She is too smart to just be a midwife.” She mumbled, running her hand over Jax’s hair which was all messed up. Roana sighed and looked up at Isla. “I’ll be fine. I survived falling from the top of that wall into the catacombs. This is nothing now that its all put back together.” Roana didn’t like being fussed over. The bleeding was stopped, she was sewed back up, from here she would survive despite her wooziness. She was more worried about the poison coursing through Ronin.

Ronin
roana
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
R O N I N

So focused on trying to stay focused for any length of time, Ronin didn't even realise that Phoebe was there until she was by his side. At which point she performed some sort of witchcraft that soothed the burning in his head, though that in itself made him feel dozy and sleepy. Blinking up at her as he settled back in the bed, he offered a lopsided smile. "Phoebe," he repeated. "Good to meet you. I'd introduce myself but you already seem to have it down."

He'd have winked or joked or been his usual charming self, but honestly he felt wretched. It was enough to just lie there and exist right now. His brow furrowed at Phoebe's questions, and he glanced up at her. "Well, it hurt like a bitch," he said frankly. "Though I'm not sure I ought to discuss it in great detail. The creature is... it isn't one I'd wish for you to have to even imagine," he said.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe smiled at Ronin warmly when he pseudo-introduced himself. "I suppose it was sort of rude of me, wasn't it? Brahm Steadman was my older brother, and Roana is my sister-in-law so I have heard of you." she explained in a bright, friendly tone. Someone had to be bright and chipper when the gloom of discomfort and illness hung in the air. In most other environments she was shy and nervous. But situations like this gave her a sense of calm - she knew what she was doing here and knew she deserved to be listened to.

"The more detail you give, the better we can understand the injury and how best to treat you...or Isla can anyways." She said, pressing the back of her hand gently against his cheek to make sure his temperature was indeed going down. "And I need you to stay awake and alert as best you can. So once you tell us about that, why don't you tell me a bit about you. Are you married with children like Roana? she asked, staying bright, happy, and calm as she spoke with the ill feeling former captain. She could at least hope that some of it would rub off on him to help his spirits.
Phoebe
Be gentle to all and stern with yourself
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

this won't hurt a bit

Five year olds, apparently, had bat-like hearing. No sooner were the words out of Isla's mouth when all three came bounding in, the medic stepping back so the boys could see their mother. She opened her mouth to advise for them to be careful, but Roana seemed to have it down. Roana seemed to have most everything down, Isla smiling and folding her arms across her chest. No wonder the woman had been a Captain in the Storm Army. She nodded at the other woman, though there was a twinkle of amusement in her blue eyes.

"I've no doubt you'll be fine," she said. "But it's the middle of the night and you were nearly ripped in half. Humour a gal and at least stay here until the morning, please? I can at least check on your stitches before you go."

It went without saying that the boys were welcome to stay as well. Not usual protocol, but if Phoebe was here helping out as well, there would be no one else to take care of them.

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
Roana smiled wrly up at Isla, very used to this sort of lecture or request from medics. Though it had been a long time since she had injuries that went unhealed with magic. "If I tried to get up now Phoebe would probably tackle me. Well. Not that. She is too nice for that. But she can hold a grudge and I don't want that." she said with a light laugh. Which she instantly regretted, wincing as her stitches pulled.

"Boys, go over to that bed there and try to sleep." she told them. {/i}"But momma...{/i} Jax started to protest. Started but didn't finish. Roana gave them a stern look that the three obviously recognized as a warning. {/i}"Okay..."{/i} Jax relented and scootched off the bed with his brothers, going and laying on the other cot. It wouldn't take long and the three would be dead asleep in an adorable toddler heap.

Ronin
roana
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.