do not go gently into that good night
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
after all is said and done
you're just a carnivore
let you in and drink my blood
you're nothing but a monster

So confident, but so forgetful. My, my, my.

Of course Wessex isn’t going to go quietly. But to attempt an escape whilst surrounded by both Fae and Zariah? That would be pretty stupid.

No, she waits until they’re walking in the dark, night-covered forest alone, where the world around them is filled with noises and they’re hemmed in by trees. The path continues on. Wessex doesn’t know where she is, she can’t consult her map, but she does remember how long it took her to get to the Village and can give a vague estimate as to where they are. There’s the smell of water. Wessex smiles. Still on the other side of the Stonesong.

She won’t feel the pain of breaking the lightning manacles. A jolt through her system, yes, but as the Ascended woman darts to the left and swiftly towards the cover of the trees, moving as quickly and as indirectly as possible, she finds the tingly, numb-ish hands aren’t too much of an impediment. It’s not like the manacles were around her feet. Into the trees, into the trees, weaving and refusing to look back. With Are’s power in her bdy and the name of her lady in her mouth, she is more than ready to try and call down her Goddess should Wessex need her.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
ZARIAH
I haven't been falling all this time - I've been flying
Zariah thinks nothing of the silence as she walks alone with the ascended woman. Silence is preferable actually, as it allows her to concentrate more fully. One hand holds the lightning chain, the other plays with the magic crystal in her pocket, charged by Edrei with her abilities. Really, this could have been quite the lovely walk home.

But alas, she is underestimated yet again. A pity.

As soon as she feels the breach in the lightning rings she strikes out, substituting her lightning with her mastered life drain, intending to suck the very energy that fuels Wessex from her person, and channel it instead through her own veins. She makes no attempt to run in pursuit of her, knowing she will be too exhausted to run in but a few moments - and if she missed she's other tricks up her sleeve. ”You and your kin are all the same, underestimating your Queen.” she says dryly, walking in the direction of what she assumes will be a fallen Ascended.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

The cool thing about superhuman speed is how fast it is.

Perhaps in the dark Zariah thought she was aiming for Wessex when in reality, she hit the woman’s cloak. Perhaps she is too confident in her abilities. Or perhaps she, too, is guilty of under-estimating.

The magic grazes the Ascended’s heel, the last part of her to slip into the trees. It takes energy with it, but not so much as to leave the woman on the ground or to keep her from heading deeper into the woods, albeit more slowly. Good thing she’s recently fed. Into the maze of forest she goes, where the boughs block the moonlight, where the roots can catch and trip and where her eyes can see much better than the Abandoned’s.

Her plan was haphazard at first, but as she moves, it begins to take shape. Options emerge. Eventually she stops and listens, waiting for what the other would do next.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
ZARIAH
Ah so the hunt begins. At least it is clear who is predator and who is prey.

Only a hint of her energy is restored from the graze, but Zariah is unshaken by the subpar results. There were many ways to skin a cat after all, and she was trained in quite a few herself. She walks quietly, patiently, stalking her. She had a rough idea of where she had gone off to based on the pull of energy, and with what night vision she had followed that direction.

Hearing a small rustle ahead of her, the Queen focuses in on it, coming to a halt herself. She is within range, and that is all that matters. In an instant, lightning rains down from the heavens, illuminating the woods as if it were broad daylight for a brief second as the stretch of land in front of her and surrounding her prey is engulfed in electricity.

At least, that was what it appeared to be. She would have to wait to see what the fallout would be.
Arduinna Flidais
Wild Fey

Age: 278 | Height: 5'1 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 19 - Luck: ∞ - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
ARDUINNA

The fallout is not instantaneous, and nor is it the type that Zariah might expect. To harm the woods is to draw the ire of its lady, and there is enough pain and sickness in the forest already without the Merciless carving a path through it to capture an ant.

The trees closest to Wessex sizzle, crack and burn, all but obliterated by the storm that shoots through them. She has dodged that particular bullet today. A good thing too, for a strike like that would be more than enough to scramble the delicate systems of her body. A warning, perhaps, for the future.

But between the Ascended and the Queen of the Hollowed Grounds stands the wild fey of the forest. Arduinna exudes light, the silks and fabrics hugging her figure moving seemingly of their own accord. Her molten eyes are fixed on Zariah, but her smile is all for Wessex, even though she cannot see her.

"That is two favours you owe me now I believe, bright one," she purrs. "Now off you pop. I would have words with the one who walks these woods without respect. Thought you to treat with Delah on behalf of the trees, your highness? On behalf of the river, the earth? A shame. I was looking so forward to our chat, since your promise to... what was it? Kill me?"

Nature, nurture heaven and home
Sum of all, and by them, driven
To conquer every mountain shown
Table by Sky!
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

She won’t dwell on how Zariah caught up, how she was able to follow her weaving path through the dark forest.

Crouching down and shielding herself, Wessex ducks bolts of lightning that incinerate the trees around her. As the smoke clears and the light fades behind her eyelids, Wessex opens them and prepares to run again (Where? Anywhere. Around in circles and to the Stonesong, out into its source if she has to). Instead, she finds the electric white light is replaced by something - no, someone - else, causing her to blink until her eyes refocus. A fae? A - something? Did she channel on accident? She does not recognize the woman, nor does she recognize that she owes her favors (words she will think on later, and try to solve), but she doesn’t hesitate to take the Fae woman’s advice and pop out of this particularly nasty situation.

Without glancing towards Zariah, and more than fully aware of her luck, Wessex takes off as fast as she can, back to the Hollowed Grounds and out of the Greatwood. She will not soon trespass there again.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah does not move or flinch. She stands tall in the face of the destruction she has wrought, even though her target was by nothing short of a miracle unscathed – a miracle the Queen made mental note to never allow to happen again. Her doll-like gaze slid from the Ascended woman as she races off to the woman who stands between them. She does not recognize her, but even if she did, her expression remained stoic and blank. The Queen did not cower or fear, though this was clearly no ordinary Fae.

She listens quietly, slowly putting the pieces together as the Fae woman speaks. ”Ah, you must be the famed Arduinna, a pleasure and honor to finally make your acquaintance, despite the circumstances.” she said, her tone low and respectful, with a slight bow of her shoulders. Clearly this land was her domain, and Zariah would be foolish not to show her respect – but not nearly so much as a commoner ought, given her own standing amongst the people of the Grounds. ”It seems that I was perhaps misled in my understanding, it is you who leads the Fae people? Or are the Fae and the forest separately governed? Either way, I am happy to devise treaties with you as well.” She made a treaty with Delah because she had come looking for one.

The mention of her “promise” to Remi actually elicited a light chuckle from the Queen. ”Excuse my laughter, it yet amazes me that Remi would think I care enough about his personal troubles to threaten one such as yourself in good faith. I assure you, that so-called ‘promise’ was naught but a ploy to get what I wanted from him and he was clearly foolish enough to believe it and warn you it seems. Or perhaps it was his fox-friend he told?” Her eyes briefly glanced towards the area Wessex had once stood before glancing at Arduinna again. It seemed a game the Fae was equally accustomed to, trading favors for a service, tipped in the favor of oneself of course. The only difference was Zariah had the capacity to lie to those she wished to manipulate.
Arduinna Flidais
Wild Fey

Age: 278 | Height: 5'1 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ARDUINNA

"Flowery words," Arduinna almost purrs, a beacon in the darkness, her fingertips softly aglow as she brushes them against one of the trees that Zariah has injured with her lightning. Arching an eyebrow at her questions, the fae hold her gaze with a mix of bemusement and contempt. "Treaties and governments. Take your human concepts and leave them at the edge of the Greatwood," she says.

"Delah is the war cheftain of the Sidhe Village. She does not own the woods. She does not own the Sea of Branches." As if in response to her words, the trees begin to curn inwards, some seeking out Arduinna's healing touch, others stroking at her face. "And even if she did, why ought we allow your presence here to continue? You show no respect for this place."

Table by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Hm. Interesting. Zariah tilts her head slightly as she considers Arduinna’s words. Clearly this was not going to be as straight forward an encounter as she had anticipated. ”I shall do my best.” she concedes, trying to figure out how this woman ticked to better understand what would be advantageous to her and what would not. As she speaks of Delah and what her purview is, a clearer picture begins to take shape. ”I see…so I presume you do, or is the Greatwood an entity unto itself?” she asks, tone respectful, open to the idea that perhaps the wood was its own being, rather like the Labyrinth but on a grander scale.

She glances towards the scar in the ground and trees where the lightning hit. A mistake, certainly, if the wood was indeed its own entity. ”My sincerest apologies, no disrespect towards this place was intended in my attempt to capture an Ascended, who I was led to believe was not welcome here.” she said first, apologizing for the destruction she caused, honesty in her words. To think of the surrounding area as an innocent bystander was a new concept, one she had never considered before. ”But this one moment aside, I have been supporting research of the blight that is harming the Greatwood. The people of the Hollowed Grounds wish to be supportive neighbors, and we are putting effort into finding some solution alongside you. Truly, I’ve no interest in seeing any ill come to the wood.” Zariah said, watching Arduinna carefully. ”I should think, ultimately, we would make great allies, Lady Arduinna. Women with the strength, vision, and will to shape the world is a rare thing indeed.”
Arduinna Flidais
Wild Fey

Change author:
ARDUINNA

Ah, but this one's tongue is forked indeed. A smile like the blossoming of snowdrops tugs at Arduinna's lips - indulgent and icy as she listens to the honey being dripped into her ear along with the poison. "The woods are their own," she confirms, still soothing away the hurts caused to the tree by Zariah's lightning. "And you are correct in your words about the bright ones who flicker and dance through these trees. But as you well know, even unwelcome things can have their uses."

Inclining her head to the other woman - allies, indeed - Arduinna straightens up once the tree is healed and watches Zariah with molten eyes. "I shall speak to Delah," she says. "For now, be sure you do not anger this forest further, young queen. Its guardians are watching." She nods back towards where Zariah came; a silent indication that their conversation is over.

Table by Sky!