At Last
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Despite it all - despite being pulled, seemingly at random, into a chaotic and terrifying new world; despite all the trials and hardships that came along with it... Vai couldn't say she minded all that much. In fact, breathing in the sweet morning air in the woodlands, with the crunch of leaves underfoot and bright sunshine stretching its fingers through the trees, she would even go as far to say that she was happy.

The people who were important to her - all of them, it seemed, every single one - had appeared in this place with her. Shapechanger bands, modified or otherwise, had apparently not followed them through, with no adverse effects to those who had undergone the ritual. Better still, none of those who would put her husband back behind bars had appeared with them.

What in seven hells did she have to complain about?

"The fields beyond here look like they might be good for growing crops," she said, almost to herself, though she knew Devrum would hear her if he was so inclined. "I saw some animals, too. Though they'll be harder work..." They weren't here for that, though. They were here to find somewhere suitable to build a home.

vervain
where the wild things are

Devrum Calob
Farmer / Butcher

Age: 45 | Height: 6' 0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 4 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Andy Offline
Change author:
Heavy footsteps thudded and crunched on the autumn leaves, assuring Vervain that indeed Devrum synced his steps with hers, though he allowed her to move ahead of his short, deliberate strides.

He wore only weathered brown pants, thick padded boots attempted to muffle the heft of his strides but did little to shield the sound of his burly frame pressing to the earth. Devrum heard Vervain speak, clearly, but made no attempt to answer her just yet.

Instead he merely stepped behind her quietly, draping his arms around her waist and loosely locking his fingers. His nose buried into the back of her hair as he inhaled deeply the scent of sawdust, and a subtle sweetness she seemed to always carry with her. His eyes closed as he remained taking in her scent in low, growl-like breaths.

He was quiet, appreciative of the brief solace, and in no rush to return to essential duties. "Fields...animals...so eager to get me working. Figure it'll keep me out of trouble?" He quietly spoke with a chuckle. His head would slide to the side of hers, bearded lips tickling her collar bone as he pressed a kiss and squeezed her tighter.

Devrum began walking, still holding Vervain causing her to waddle along with him. "What would we grow? Hm?" It seemed Vai he envisioned all of this even before himself, a fact that pleased him to no end. "Wheat? Bread, ale...bare essentials for survival...potatoes for cooking and brewing of vodka...perhaps a small stables. Modest...in case there are mounts to tame..."

An arm would slide up just under Vervain's as he guided her hand toward a relatively vacant-looking patch of land nearby, surrounded by trees and a shallow creak. "There...perfect for something away...modest...protected. Will take some work and resources...we know enough hands to make it work."
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Vai's blue eyes flicked as if to glance over her shoulder just before strong arms encircled her waist and she smiled quietly, relaxing into the grip. To walk free with Devrum was to walk in the wild, her hands drifting over his, eyes closing to listen to the silence, comfortable and all the more natural for being so far removed from people.

Her laugh, when it came, was low and wicked, Vai grinning and turning her head to kiss his hair. "Nothing will keep you out of trouble. You go looking for it," she teased, blinking her eyes back open and letting out a playful curse of surprise as he began to walk, forcing her into an awkward waddle along with him.

"Besides, don't you think I could find much better ways to occupy your time? If I wanted your attention, you'd know it." Vai grinned, before humming in thought. "Root vegetables should be easy enough if we're lucky enough to find something to start with. I saw mushrooms and herbs around here, too..."

Devrum stole her focus as he guided her hand towards a truly miraculous patch of woodland, the huntress tilting her head and nodding, turning her head to look up at him. "Seems perfect to me. Then again, build a fire there and find a soft bit of ground and I'm happy.

vervain

Devrum Calob
Farmer / Butcher

Change author:
Devrum thought a moment, know Vai's request was merely hypothetical, but he grinned a bushy, bearded grin and scooped Vervain into his arms. "Right then, no sense wasting time then ain't there?" He muttered, had she allowed herself to sway in his arms as his stocky, powerful legs and their short strides carried them toward the designated spot, Devrum would find that perfectly soft spot to place the huntress and quickly gather the elements for a comforting fire, contained by the larges stones he placed around it.

He gathered some moss and leaves, making a natural blanket of sorts to drape over Vai's legs. As powerful as his frame and demeanor revealed Devrum to be, there were times he appeared endearingly gentle. He was silent mostly as he catered to Vervain's thoughts of what would make her happy, taking his time to ensure her needs were met.

In time Devrum would finally bring himself to sit at her side, a hand reaching to gently adjust the moss-blanket around her legs before looping around her waist and leaning her enough where Vai's head would rest against his shoulder.

Fingers gently strumming along her side as he stared at the flames, embracing the ease of the crackling sound and the warmth it radiated. "You've adjusted easily...you always seem to." Devrum finally spoke, giving Vai a faint growl-like chuckle. Whether in Northhaven, or this world...Vervain never lacked the ability to adapt. In many ways she was superior, in her ability to distinguish strength and empathy...something Devrum still wasn't even sure he could do.

"I was prepared to do anything...horrible...horrible things. Back home...before I was ready to die, ready for anything. Than I had something to lose, and I felt something I ain't ever felt...not for a long time. I was scared..." Devrum cleared his throat, shrugging the thought away. "...I wasn't going to lose you...I was prepared to do anything, the worst things..."

His voice trailed off as he looked over the surrounding woodlands, finally acknowledging the ambiance, the deceptive tranquility of it all. "Divine intervention...it's all I can explain what happened...cause here we are, and all that back there just seems like a passing memory...figment of my imagination. Just about the only real thing to come from all of that is with me right now." Fingers curled to squeeze Vai's side gently.

"Ain't often second, much less third chances come your way...to make yourself better...but here I am...this is going to work. The tavern, our home...it's going to work...finally...just still getting used to the thought I suppose..." He muttered dismissively as if he were a rambling sentimental idiot.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain's yelp of surprise quickly turned into a peal of laughter as she was lifted up into Dev's grip and marched away towards the foundations of their new home. She might have said a number of things - said that he didn't have to, said that she was perfectly capable, said that she could do it herself. But for one of the first times in her life she just let it happen, slinging her arm about his broad shoulders and smiling at the care with which he set her down.

While Devrum fussed over her with the sort of affection that would likely seem foreign to most who knew the bear, Vai leant back on her hands to stare up at the canopy of trees. To breathe it in; the dry leaves, the woodsmoke, the wildflowers... it brought her an extraordinary feeling of peace.

She shifted only at the feeling of Dev settling beside her, a smile curling across her lips as he drew her close. "I'm glad it seems that way," she murmured, though she wouldn't outright say he was incorrect. "Truthfully this is easier than adjusting to Northaven. I know not to trust easily here." By which she meant, of course, that Northaven had been more a political trap than a haven. This place was wild and unpredictable and all the more comfortable for it in her opinion.

Vai tilted her head to glance up at him as he started to speak, something uncharacteristically hard and sharp flicking through her eyes. And I would let you, that look said. "Always," she murmured, lacing her arm around him in return and resting a hand on his thigh. She wasn't sure about divine intervention, though this sort of world was definitely starting to make her reconsider her ideas, and she sighed softly.

"Just take it one day at a time," she murmured. "Every day we wake up here, breathing this air, with this ground under us... it's another day it's different. Another day when free really means free, for all that we're apparently stuck in this bubble." Honestly, compared to the trouble that had been about to land in their lap back in Northaven, this place was paradise. Mutants and monsters and all, because Northaven had plenty of those too, didn't it?

"Ain't no shame in that," she said, leaning up to press her lips to a bearded cheek. "We will make this work. Second chances, third chances... however many we can take. Believe it, Dev. That door can close, for good."

vervain

Devrum Calob
Farmer / Butcher

Change author:
A brow arched as he glanced down at Vai. She always seemed to know what to say and how to say it in order to keep him at ease. He thought to tell her this but why pad her ego any further than having this lumbering man fawn over her every moment right now. Even Devrum knew his limits, and knew when to keep the balance of power in a relationship...all playful notions of course.

Instead of giving some poor attempt at flirtatious banter, Devrum would brush the side of Vervain's hair, his eyes holding hers with an...extremely familiar look...as he leaned over and laid her back, half-leaning over Vai as the other rested on the ground. Bearded lips holding hers as if kept from them a life-time.

There was an beastly rumble-growl, which rippled along his back...a habit when she had driven him a certain way. There is a phrase people often say, break new ground...Devrum had taken the phrase quite literally as passion and aggression blended and allowed him to overtake Vervain at the very place he intended to begin building their new home. Breaking new ground indeed...

Devrum laid across his back, his breath heavy, steady but heavy as he attempted to gather himself. Callused hands running through her hair...how did she always manage to overpower him? Some secrets were best left unspoken, so he thought to himself as he simply grinned up at her.

He'd quietly look around as his head laid back. "I've got an idea...if you're up for it." There was a glint in his bi-colored hazel and blue eyes. He would gently take hold of Vai's hips...hips that could shatter walls and conquer worlds as far as he was concerned, and lay her back down as he pushed himself up.

His muscles rippling as in a moment the beast roared and formed before her. The imposing black bear stretched out to 7ft 8in, 860lbs. It's paws padded the ground toward Vervain as it's large, wide nose sniffed against her legs and neck. It roared timidly, nudging Vai to get up before it flopped on all fours for her to climb onto its back.

[bunny permission granted by Honey ]
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

It seemed like a lifetime since Vervain had felt quite so free. Much as she was loathe to admit it, she had missed living and breathing and being so close to the outdoors. Northaven was a cage to someone like the former huntress - it was out here, with the sunlight dappling across her bare skin and the sound of the woodland's beating heart... this was where she felt truly alive. Her wild curls remained as unruly as ever, even with Devrum's gentle ministrations, and she stretched languidly from her place astride the bear man. Splayed comfortably across his chest. She grinned back at him.

"Your ideas always get us into trouble," she pointed out to him, but it very obviously wasn't a no. She moulded like clay into his rough hands, settling comfortably on the bed of leaves beneath them and watching with curious blue eyes as she got to his feet. And where exactly did he think he was go-- oh. Oh.

Vai pushed herself to sit up, lips parting as if to say something only for the words to die in her throat. The beast roared, the sound thrumming through her bones, and as it sniffed and nudged at her she felt a grin spread across her face. "Well look at you," she murmured, half under her breath as she got her feet beneath her. Without hesitation she reached out, fingers burying themselves in the thick ruff of black fur about its neck to scratch and fuss as she looked it over. Looked him over.

Then he flopped onto all fours and she arched an eyebrow at him. "You're kidding," she murmured, knowing he wasn't and laughing, wasting no further time in... well, climbing aboard. Naked. Obviously.

{END THREAD - continued in Smashing Pumpkins {Seasonal Event}}

vervain
she's a wild one with an angel's face