Forbidden Treasure
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Samuel
I pray to blades of grass
To find forgiveness in the weeds

Sam had stared at the book he had stolen for Wessex for a day or so after arriving home. He didn't like having it around. Looking at him reminded him he had stolen something from the Fae, but thinking about taking it to Wessex filled him with another kind of dread entirely.

But it had to be done, and the sooner he did it, the sooner it would be over. Not knowing where she lived or usually hung around, he had taken a note to the last place he had seen her. In the woodland, next to the shrine (not on the same tree, as that felt disrespectful) he pinned a note which simply said:

Wessex,

If you see this, meet me here at midnight on Thursday night.
I have the book you asked for.

Samuel.

After five minutes of almost ripping it down he had gone home, only to return at the right time, holding the book tight in his fingers and standing awkwardly next to the shrine, wishing The Voice could just give it for him; but he couldn't use the Goddess as a postal service.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
WESSEX
No one really knows where Wessex lives. Could be underground, could be in the basement of a house, could be in her mother’s home… makes it easy when you don’t want to be found. Kind of hard when you do. But she’ll take that trade off over the opposite any day. The good news is that she has a kind of routine and great vision, so something bright and fluttering in the woods will eventually be found - if not by her, then by somebody else.

Someone will be waiting for Samuel. This time, it just so happens to be the woman he’s oh so reluctantly seeking.

Sitting at the base of the tree, Wessex stands when the man approaches, wiping the damp leaves and dirt off her ass before turning to face him. For once, it seems, she has a pleasant expression on her face when she looks at him - and why shouldn’t she? He’s done her a favor he didn’t have to do. That doesn’t deserve snarkiness. And before she asks for the book (whatever it may be), she even has the decency to try and be cordial. “How did it go?” she asks, curious about his experience in the village and whether or not he got off without any problems.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel

When he spotted Wessex Sam felt a little shot of dread in his chest. But she stood and instead of immediately demanding the book, which he had tightly clasped in his hands and ready to give out, she asked how his task had gone.

Surprise clear on his face, he took a moment to answer. "Oh, um...as well as it could have gone, I suppose. No one saw me. It was late and I was invisible. I got you one of the books from the Undercroft, but..." He held it out in his hands and looked at it. Now that he was in front of Wessex, it suddenly seemed like it was definitely going to be rubbish. "I have no idea what it is."

He held out the book towards her, but...she had asked him how he had been. Trying to be polite, he asked: "..Um..how have you been? With um...everything..?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
“Great,” she says, simply, followed be a potentially never-heard before “Thank you.” Reaching out to take the book gently, she peers at the cover and shrugs, even as the writing swims and rearranges itself before her eyes. Eyes which happen to glow a rather creepy ice-blue  while she looks at it. “It was a risk I was willing to take. Something that may not be missed.”

Or a personal diary/journal/notes on something that could potentially help her. Who knows what Wessex currently needs help with, but after being in that goddamn bubble for three centuries, any influx of knowledge is valuable. And after that LongNight monster discovery - which she still needs to ask the Lady about, goddamnit - she knows that the theft is worth the risk. Hell, if she could have, she would have gone herself and read as much as possible.

But then he asks her how she’s been and Wessex looks up at him, quite surprised. They’ve never done small talk before. It doesn’t suit their relationship. She exhales into a sharp laugh. “People suck. I’ve decided to dedicate my efforts solely to doing our Lady’s work.” I would give you the stars, she said, and Wessex has decided that she will take the stars and in return, deliver the world to the Voice. Ninety-nine percent of veryone else can fuck right off.
No, I’ll be the stone
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Very surprised to hear a thank you for him pass Wessex's lips, Sam stared. Was this the start of an unlikely friendship? Surely not. The only thing connecting them was that they were both Ascended; past that they were possibly as different as two people could get.

But she responded to his awkward question and he actually found himself laughing a little. "Yes, I...recently became more devoted to The Voice for similar reasons. I've found myself disappointed at times with everyone but The Voice. Now that I understand my ascension is a gift..." He looked down at himself; at his strength and the body that now allowed him to turn invisible, to lift things no one else could. "I am more grateful to her than anyone else."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
An unlikely friendship? No. An unlikely team? Perhaps. There is potential there, potential that Wessex will freely admit she’s missed, but that might also be due to Sam’s change from the stuttering fool he once was. It doesn’t matter what - or who - is responsible for the various changes in her ‘brother,’ only that he could be useful in the future, and this older sister shouldn’t blow it.

“And even when She’s cryptic and evasive, it still somehow feels like she’s bestowing secret knowledge on you, yeah?” Wessex exhales into a chuckle. Their Lady has her faults, she isn’t naive about that. She knows they’re not getting the whole story, that they can be moved like chess pieces on the table and even though she isn’t happy about that feeling, she would rather be The Voice’s pawn thatn anyone else’s. “She gave me a second and third life.” Her blonde head shakes back and forth slowly, remembering the awe of waking up naked in the snow and having full knowledge of her death.

“No one has been as loyal or as generous. And no one seems to be able to understand the debt I owe. So.” She shrugs. Almost violently. There’s clearly some emotion behind her words. “Fuck ‘em. Team Ascended.”
No, I’ll be the stone
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

"Yes! I...I didn't think you'd feel that way." Sam smiled, surprised by the common feeling between them. He had assumed Wessex by default to be more knowledgable than him, thought she simply just took the Voice's instructions and not any of the nuturing.

He wasn't sure how he felt about 'team Ascended' - after all, the majority of his friends were not Ascended, and until recently he had felt rejected by those of his kind. But at the moment, when he needed a place to belong and The Voice was so willingly offering it...when someone as powerful as Wessex referred to them as a team..it was tempting.

"I...used to hate my Ascension, but now I understand." Sam said softly, looking to the shrine. "Maybe over time, we can convince more people to Ascend. It feels like there are so few of us now."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Team Ascended may always be a pipe dream for Wessex, but that doesn’t mean she’ll ever really give up on imagining a group of them large and strong enough to make a place for themselves well outside of all this Old God vs. New God bigotry. Which would theoretically mean that they need to convert others. Or hope that they portal in, already made. Big hopes and big challenges come along with that idea and it drives home again how unrealistic Sam is.

“I always want to know more than She’s willing to let on. Sucks, but whatcha gonna do, force a Goddess to tell you Her plans?” She chuckles. Of course not. And certainly not their Goddess, who has had ample time to perfect them. Hell, they can’t even get a straight answer about the blight out of her. Whatever. “One more now. Rexanna was planning on Ascending. But yes, there are too few of us.” Looking at the book and wanting to read it in private now, she uses it as an excuse, tapping it against her other hand. “I’m going to go take a look at this. Thank you, again.”

She’s about to go when a thought occurs to her. “Sam? Be careful about who you talk to about The Voice. There are a lot of people who would see Her work undone - people you might consider friends. And we can’t afford to lose anyone to their hate.” Personally, she doesn’t tell anyone what the Lady asks her to do, just as a matter of precaution. She’s seen the enmity first hand. It isn’t pretty.
No, I’ll be the stone
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
"No, I suppose not...I hope one day she might trust me enough to tell me more." Sam said in a hopeful, soft voice; he didn't know if it was realistic to really hope to get on that level with a Goddess, but it was a dream. To know things and have definite plans, to be able to do what he wanted and be respected because he was divine..it sounded amazing.

Rexanna was planning to ascend? Sam didn't know her that well, but he smiled at the news. She was nice, and it would be good to have more Ascended he was comfortable with.

Wessex seemed to be warming to him, at least. Though he was glad she began to make her exit - if they were going to be closer it was best to start slow. Not painting each others nails and talking about boys in one night. "I hope it's useful for you." He turned to leave himself but then looked back as she spoke.

What she said was...probably right, he knew. But it was hard to swallow. He was split between two camps - the Ascended, and his friends. He nodded but privately thought he might try at least once to seek understanding from those he cared about. "I'll keep that in mind. ...Until next time."