Training Acceptable Targets (Open)
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

In many, many ways Loren knew he was just a shadow of his former self. And he honestly wasn’t sure that he wanted to go back to the old version of himself, if he even remembered who that was. Sometimes, it seemed that there’d never be a real Loren, simply a series of masks he’d put on and discarded for fear of being rejected again. It had happened too many times, and far more than one time too many for him not to worry about that.

But something he did miss was training both his mind and body. While he’d never been particular good at it—and his magic had been so weak he’d been tortured for it—it filled some need deep within him. The moment he’d cast a spell, Loren remembered the pure joy of it. But there were other darker emotions lurking within his gaunt frame, ones that needed an outlet other than magic.

So, while he’d have dearly loved to have done nothing more than meditate and practice his spell-casting (especially his summoning, which is the only art he’d ever really mastered), instead he found himself out in the woods, staff in hand, swinging it wildly and clearly without much skill. But there was a visceral joy in it: as he swept the ends at the tree leaves, knocking them from their branches. As they fluttered to the ground he made a point to grind them under his boots.

It satisfied a hunger he’d been feeling ever since coming back. Or maybe, if he was being honest, even before then. While Loren had always been the least violent member of his family, he couldn’t deny that he too sometimes felt the destructive urges of the Launceleyns. So he was trying to work them out in the least problematic way possible. Many members of his family never learned to do that, but he was trying not to emulate them.

The hubris of his ancestors and kin had caused the downfall of too many. So, though Loren had already made so many mistakes, he refused to make that one as well.

Although he’d come out to the woods, he’d forgotten just how populated the Hollowed Grounds had become. Seeing as he’d been used to staying at the outskirts, he was still getting used to the new and improved area. These woodlands—which, granted, were rather out of the way—were still fairly well traveled, especially now that the dome had fallen.

All that was to say that he probably should’ve been expecting someone to stumble upon him, but he was so caught up in engaging with another imaginary foe that he wasn’t paying attention to much else.

LOREN
Brought back by satisfaction more times than the cat
Peter Pikely

Age: 34 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
Peter
Time had felt strange since Zariah disappeared. There was no other way Peter could think to describe it, though it wasn’t like he was actually describing it. Slowly, and different, closer to the days he’d first arrived in Caido. When he’d been gripped with uncertainty, with a freedom unlike anything he’d ever had. When he’d been taking stumbling steps towards friendships, and making connections. Then, just as he was writing his feet under himself again, as he was settling into a routine, Edrei had died.

Peter thought maybe, maybe this was some kind of divine punishment. He had begged for freedom from an old routine, and this was how it had been granted.

A distraction. He needed a distraction, something that wasn’t Adam. Not that Adam wasn’t great, but there were some things Peter didn’t know how to describe, not in any way that mattered. No, the itch in his hands deep in his throat screamed for something more primal.

Something he’d gone to the woods in search of.

Playing target practice with trees had been satisfying for a moment at most, but it wasn’t enough to drag his thoughts away from the roiling pool of whatever emotion had clawed its way to the forefront of his mind at that moment. Sometimes he thought it might be sadness, or a guilt ridden relief. Mostly it was an anger, simmering and waiting for an excuse to boil over.

A sound from a nearby path caught his attention, giving him something to focus on. It had happened a few times already, but usually the sound had either been a fluke, a branch snapping or some animal or whatever else made noise in a forest, or his imagination, summoning fake threats to occupy him. This sound was different than those though. It kept coming, closer and closer, and finally it was enough to spur Peter into motion. His feet were as close to silent as they could be on the fallen leaves, but whatever was making the noise was making enough of it he wouldn’t be noticed.

Peter stepped into the path just behind an unfamiliar man and his staff. Unfamiliar really didn’t say much, most everyone was unfamiliar to him, but something told Peter this was more than his own face blindness. This actually was someone he’d never seen. Watching the other man quietly for a moment, Peter decided he needed to do something. He wasn’t quite willing to close the distance between him and the other man, so he called out instead, his voice raised to be heard over the staff.

”They make g-good enemies? The trees?” It was maybe a touch more snippy than Ed meant, but peter couldn’t find it in himself to care.
I don't wanna live that way
I do not wanna live in pain

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
the Firebrand

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

A man spoke up behind Loren causing the former librarian to pause in latest assault against his arboreal opponents. Glancing over his shoulder, Loren saw that he had company. Sighing, he lowered his staff and turned to face the stranger; the summoner was still remembering how he was supposed to interact with people in a normal, non-hostile way. Granted, the other man’s voice had contained a tone that was less than friendly, but Loren was saved from responding in kind by the fact that he was panting slightly from his earlier exertions.

It took a few deep breaths for his heart to settle and his mind to calm. Once he’d caught his breath—and strangled down the urge to say something he’d regret—Loren considered how best to actually reply. Finally he decided the truth was probably the best option. “It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been attacked by them, so yes.” It came out in a wry tone, but the former librarian was transported back to that fateful day in the jungle outside Northaven: it had been a terrifying mishmash of evil branches, burning wood, and far too many injured companions. But they’d come through in the end, in large part due to Loren’s efforts.

Turned out tree creatures burned just the same as regular trees when he threw a phoenix at them.

Regarding the stranger (who Loren was pretty sure he’d never met before) the summoner noted that he was much taller than the other man. Of course, even small as he was, the other man was probably in better shape than Loren: the summoner was still recuperating from his year as a scavenger, as evidenced by the guantness of his formerly thin frame and how sharply his cheekbones stood out. Beyond that, the stranger’s features were...odd. They weren’t unpleasant, or wrong, they just didn’t quite fit together in a cohesive hole.

Last time Loren had encountered a stranger in the woods—different woods, and a much different circumstance, thankfully—it hadn’t exactly gone well. So the former librarian was striving to do a better job this time. Of course, a lot of that would depend on if the other man continued to be snippy with the summoner; if he did, Loren might just sic a monster on him to teach him some manners. “I’m Loren,” he said as neutrally as he could mange. “What brings you out here?” Hopefully the other man was just passing through, and the former librarian could get on with his training. Already his fingers itched to go back to whacking things.

LOREN
Peter Pikely

Age: 34 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Peter
While he waited for a response, at least one beyond being looked at, Peter sized up the other man. Thin, not naturally, but by malnutrition or something else, and tall, real tall, not just tall to him. Tall like Zariah and Edrei and Adam were, but without the imposing presence or charisma.

With a cock of his head, and a wary gaze thrown at the trees around them, Peter nodded. He was no threat, just some guy, training, or working something out, and Peter was less than interested in him. His own fingers itched to get back to his training, but, just before he could say something, the other man spoke again, trapping him for a while longer.

For a moment, the name Loren was nothing more than strangely familiar. He had heard it, had to have, but... where? Why did it inspire such a strange anxiety in him? Then, it clicked. ”The missing one.” He whispered the words, more to himself than anything, and looked over Loren with a newly critical eye.

He didn’t look particularly strong,  something Peter was a little excited about. Perhaps he’d actually be above someone. Never mind the fact that he was one of the last members of the family left. There was a sure fire way to know for sure where they stood in relation to each other, something so simple yet effective.

”I was... I was doing the same thing you are.” Peter answered, gesturing towards the staff. ”I’m Peter. We... we could spar, um... together.” Just first name would give him some anonymity, or at least he was hoping. Peter thought the offer might be better recurved if it didn’t seem like an immediate comparison.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
the Firebrand

Change author:

Loren supposed ‘the missing one’ was probably the most charitable descriptor he could receive. It certainly beat something like the Merciless, as Zariah had been ridiculously called as queen, or, well, ‘that dick who’d abandoned his friends in their time of need and somehow managed to evade capture and miss the events of a full year.’ That last one was a bit of a mouthful.

“That’s me.” The summoner’s voice came out softly, with more than a hint of sorrow in it. “You got a problem with that?” There wasn’t a hint of anger or challenge in the librarian’s voice: he was honestly curious and wanted to know if this man carried a grudge. A lot of people disliked Loren for his actions or the Launceleyns for theirs, so it wouldn’t be too surprising.

What was surprising was the offer to spar; Loren’s eyes widened, especially since the other man didn’t appear to have a weapon. Then again, the librarian’s most potent attacks weren’t visible either. However, that surprise paled in comparison to the shock the summoner felt at hearing the other man’s name. “I’d be happy to spar with you. What did you have in mind?” Then the librarian tilted his head. “And are you by any chance the adopted one?” If they were assigning each other epithets, then that one seemed appropriate. Of course Peter was a common name—although not among Loren’s kin—so it was entirely possible the summoner was mistaken. However, there weren’t so many people in the Hollowed Grounds.

LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Of course the man before him, the man he’d happened upon in the woods was the lost Launceleyn. Peter wanted to sigh and yell all at once, but instead let himself grow blank, his face impassive. His first impression had probably gotten all kinds of fucked up, but maybe he could still keep himself from looking weak. That was the last thing his his already high anxiety needed.

Despite the mask carefully projected onto his features, Peter couldn’t stop himself from cocking his head at the words that followed Loren’s confirmation. ”Why would... . should I? Have a problem?” They didn’t know each other, and if there had been talk of the taller man, Peter had not been around for it. All he really knew was what stood before him.

”What do I have in mind?” Peter repeated the question softly, looking over Loren quickly, at the way he held his weapon, carried himself. ”First to... touch a viral? Chest, or neck, or head.” He rattled off the first suggestion that came to mind, shrugging as he did. It sounded fair enough to him, Loren might be malnourished and out of practice, but he still had height on Peter. That, and so far every other member of the family had by and away surpassed him when it came to magic.

Peter wasn’t really sure how he felt being described as the adopted one, though he did think it was only fair, considering his description of Loren. Still, he stayed quiet for a long moment, suddenly very focused on a branch just behind the other’s head. ”...yes. I am.” He was filled with the urge to defend himself suddenly, to speak his worth, but for one of the first times in his life, but his lip and stopped speaking, simply waiting for Loren’s reaction, or, more preferable, the conversation to be over so they could spar and he could stop thinking about this.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
the Firebrand

Change author:

Loren shrugged, slightly embarrassed that he’d gotten defensive without cause. Based off of Peter’s reaction, the other man likely wasn’t a friend of Remi’s or an enemy of the Launceleyn’s (and not yet knowing the other man was a Launceleyn, Loren couldn’t predict Peter would be made for that reason). ”Not necessarily. But most people who know who I am are understandably and justifiably mad at me for one reason or another.” The summoner took a deep breath and sighed. “But I probably shouldn’t have assumed.” Well no, he definitely shouldn’t have assumed, but he’d had a lot of tough reunions and introductions lately, so he found himself bracing for the worst. Better that then he found himself sucker punched again, emotionally or physically.

The corners of his mouth quirked up, but that was the only sign that Loren gave to Peter. It was a little amusing to hear how the other man had taken the summoner’s words, but that probably just meant Loren should’ve asked a better question to begin with. ”An admirable goal. But I meant, did you want to train in unarmed combat, with a weapon of some kind, with magic, or all of the above anything goes style? Sorry I should’ve been more clear.” Lifting his staff and settling into a defensive stance (not a particularly good one, but he was still weakened from his time away), he tilted his head at the shorter man. ”Why don't you attack and I’ll defend myself? To start at least.” That might’ve been generous, but Peter was a completely unknown quantity and Loren wanted to get his measure.

There was a long pause, and the summoner found himself studying Peter; the other man’s features were more memorable than attractive, but that might’ve been more to do with attitude and posture than anything else. The summoner assumed the shorter man had magic. After all, Zariah wouldn’t have taken him in otherwise. However, Loren obviously didn’t know what kind of magic or how strong it was. This would be a good way to find out. Still, when the other man spoke, the summoner blinked, surprised. ”Sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you, I just wanted to confirm who you were.” Loren really needed to get better at first impressions. ”But...belatedly, welcome to the family.” Assuming Peter still wanted to be a part of the family: Loren had no way to broach that subject without it being awkward.

LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Peter cocked his head as Loren clarified what he’d meant, his brows pulling together. He’d assumed they would be using simple weapons, given the staff in the other mans hands. A part of him wanted to be embarrassed, ashamed, at the miscommunication, but he pointedly ignored that part of him. He hadn’t been the one confused. ”I... was training with a... with a knife, but... anything goes.” A nod accompanied the words, Peter not moving just yet.

Instead, the small man watched Loren. Watched Loren watch him. The lost Launceleyn was far removed from the image he’d built up in his head, and it was almost a relief. There were the bones there, quite literally, but he was... lacking. He looked the way Peter felt, a dropped stitch in a family tapestry. ”I’m not offended.” He said, his voice quiet, thoughtful. ”I’m... sorry there’s no one else to... to welcome you back.”

It was an awkward moment. Peter was glad when he could slough off the vulnerability and drop into a combat position, circling around Loren. The other mans physical defences were going to be easy to bypass, but his magic was an unknown. Stepping forward slowly, Peter considered his options, then decided on the most direct route. His leisurely steps quickened to a run, straight at Loren, before feinting around him, a knife appearing in his hand. Since this was practice, it’s edge was dull, but it was still solid enough to hurt when Peter swung it up toward Loren’s ribs.

While he thrust his weapon up, Peter created a block behind Loren’s feet, wanting to trip him when the other moved away from his attack.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
the Firebrand

Change author:

Anything goes was the Launceleyn way. Loren might not like that, might be actively trying to change that, but when it came to combat training it still seemed like a good rule of thumb to follow. So when Peter agreed to those conditions, the summoner simply nodded. As the shorter man offered his condolences, the librarian looked away, a sad expression crossing his face. ”It’s not your fault. And Beatrix and Jace are still here as well.” They'd certainly given him quite the welcome. The family was diminished, so much less than it had been. But it was not gone. And they could rebuild from the ashes of what they once were.

As Peter dropped into a crouch and started circling, Loren settled into a defensive position, feet shoulder length apart, staff gripped firmly in his hands. Then the other man attacked: he was much faster than Loren had been expecting, and as Peter feinted around, the summoner’s eyes noted the knife that appeared in Peter’s hand. Either the other man was excellent at sleight of hand or he had creation magic; given the circumstances, Loren was going to assume the latter. As the knife swung up towards the summoner, Loren pushed at it hard with his telekinesis, attempting to foul the swing, make it go wide or even knock it out of the other man's hand. At the same time, he swept the base of his staff at Peter’s feet, trying to knock the other man off balance.

LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Peter felt his blade shift in his hand, pulling away from its target and arching wide. In a moment, he decided against dropping it, and moved with the new momentum of his swing instead. A good decision, considering the staff that swung out, quick feet not quite quick enough to save him from a sharp rap on his ankle, but quick enough to turn what would have been a loss of balance into a minor irritation.

Blue eyes narrowed into slits as Peter turned, looking over Loren again. He changed his grip on his dagger quickly, then threw it at Loren, using the distraction it would (hopefully) cause to rush forwards again, opening the bottle at his hip as he went. The contents were coaxed out and sent towards the taller mans face, another distraction while Peter swept low, his arm up to try to catch the inevitable defence with the staff.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
the Firebrand

Change author:

Loren couldn’t help but feel a fierce sense of satisfaction as his staff connected with Peter’s ankle. The other man was faster, and probably in better shape, forcing the summoner to react and stay on the defensive, but he was skilled and had more reach. Unfortunately, the other man wasn’t going to let him use that: Peter threw his knife and rushed forward.

Instinctively, Loren twitched the knife aside with his telekinesis. Then, as the other man tossed liquid at the summoner—which moved oddly—the summoner picked up a rock from the ground to intercept it, using his telekinesis to direct it into the liquid’s path and to hopefully soak it all up. Although he didn't quite get all of it, causing some of it to splash on his face and half-blind him, he launched the rock at Peter's shoulder. It wasn’t moving hard enough to bruise, since the librarian just wanted to distract the other man slightly as his staff came up in a controlled sweep in the path of the incoming Peter. Even without his full vision, the other man made an easy enough target.

LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
If he was sparring with pretty much anyone else, Peter would have been surprised to see his knife go off course, but he knew to not assume anything against a Launceleyn. After all, he didn’t know what Loren’s magic was. Though it quickly became obvious, a rock appearing to intercept his water, then shoot out towards him. The corners of his mouth quirked up as Peter leaned out of the way of the slow projectile, focusing on his water to keep it clinging to Loren’s face, and keep him blind.

The staff swinging towards him was a more pressing problem. Peter don’t have many places to move, so he dropped, dipping out of the swing. Thinking fast, he reached out to grab Loren’s ankles and pull, hoping the surprise and the leaf covered ground would both aid him in pulling the other man off his feet. He readjusted himself while he did, ready to spring up in an instant if this didn’t work.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
the Firebrand

Change author:

The water continued to slide over Loren’s face and into his eyes. He didn’t know if it was natural movements from all the fighting or if Peter was doing something, but it was rapidly proving to be a liability. It didn’t help that the other man was much, much faster than the summoner; Peter dropped to the floor to avoid the staff and then his hand grabbed at Loren’s ankle. Instantly he knew there was nothing he could do to stop the other man from pulling the summoner off his feet.

So instead, he tossed himself forward, hoping to land on top of Peter instead of being knocked to the ground. It was a wild and uncontrolled motion, but at least it was better than nothing. Throwing the staff aside—he didn’t want to hurt either of them by having it tangle with them on the ground—he made a cloth in his left hand. As he fell, he angrily swiped all the water from his face and tossed the rag as far to the side. Then there was nothing left to do but see how he landed and hope he could get his hands on Peter.

LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Loren turning to fall towards him was yet another risk Peter hadn’t expected, and the moment he took to try to figure out a move cost him. He lost the room he needed to manoeuvre properly, and had to settle for the rather inelegant move of pressing his hands up against Loren, holding him off just long enough to mostly escape to the side.

Some hard, sharp limb (a knee or elbow, whether it was his own or Loren’s Peter couldn’t guess) struck him in the chest and drove the air from his lungs. He sprung back up to his feet and gasped in a painful breath, then stepped towards Loren again. Peter was anything but strong, but he tried still to get a grip on Loren, just enough that he could finally claim victory over some never of the family.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!