A hunch and nothing more
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
in a world where you can do anything: love
the honeysuckle princess
GOD QUEST TURN IN...TAKE 2

Phoebe had left the clinic at an awkward hour. Was it night? Was it morning? She didn't know. All she knew was it was dark, and cold, and yet she cared not. She had tended to Lusea's wounds and left the clinic to give Sunjata and her time to reconnect, to make sense of whatever odd distortion of time had reunited them again. Pim walked alongside her, his concern for her flowing through their connection but going unsoothed. Pim recognized the rift between Phoebe and her chosen male of late, and he recognized it had something to do with the other female (though why a male would choose any female other than his Frey-blessed Phoebe was beyond the dragonling's basic comprehension of how one ought choose a mate). But she was not drowning this time. Pim expected her to drown, as Frey had once said, human's were messy, but Phoebe was not drowning. She was...nothing. Disconnected? Content almost but unhappily so. It exhausted the dragonling who wanted nothing more than a nap and a nice pheasant to munch on.

But Pim was right. She was unhappily content. Jata would choose to be with Lusea again - no doubt, Phoebe knew he loved her more, which was no one's fault. She would be happy he was happy, even if it broke a small piece of her to be alone again. She would be happy, even if she was not. Besides, she was dying anyways. Why waste that time being heartbroken.

Without really realizing it, Phoebe first found herself at the college, and went over her notes once more. The blight acted so much like unstable ascended fluid that she could not help but think the two inextricably linked. And what if it was some sort of offshoot of Spire demon poison like Roana thought? It was worth bringing to Frey. Perhaps they knew how the Spire Demon had come to be, and perhaps that was the missing link that created the blight.

And so she walked. Not to the nearest shrine. Not even to the next, but all the way into the Greatwood, quietly asking the trees to let her pass to the deity's shrine. As she stood before the shrine, placing down a few fruits, and Pim another shed scale, her eyes glazed over, mind blank, as rage suddenly filled her for no reason. Frey was her friend and yet they still expected presents. What sort of friend demanded fealty from their friends? Were they really or just placating her? And as that rage filtered down to Pim they roared at her with discontent, snapping her out of the blight induced anger.

Phoebe shuddered and sighed, wondering briefly how long she had before she lost herself fully to this disease.

"Frey, I studied the blight more, and think I've made some kind of correlation between it and something else. If...If you could please spare me some time so we could discuss this, I would appreciate it." she said quietly, hoping they would appear.
PHOEBE

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
"Give how straight you're walking I take it your little blue-eyed man friend hasn't been doing the job I gave to him." Frey remarked from above. Again on a cloud, their visage obscured but accompanied by an impressive shower of weariness rather than their usual abundance of sexual grace, they dangled one leg over the side of the cloud. There was much happening in the world Phoebe didn't know about, and even more that the god did not want to speak of.

For now it was enough that Frey was simply there, despite their inclinations not to be.

"You're looking a little dim around the gills, honeybee. Neither of us have time to waste, so let's hear it."
Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
Phoebe glanced up at Frey, her usual exuberance and lightness upon beholding them absent. The weariness they cast weighed heavy on her shoulders, and she found she had not the strength to push through it. Pim merely yawned, trilling up a greeting at the god. "He has no interest in that anymore anyways. His exgirlfriend who he thought was dead miraculously appeared by the Spire alive and when he saw her he seemed to forget I even existed." she said quietly, shrugging a bit. It hurt to say, but no tears fell this time. She would have expected nothing more and nothing less.

At least he was happy.

She might've commented on their comment about her health, but she couldn't muster the energy. Time was short. Much was happening. And she was afraid she hit a brick wall. "When in human blood, or even Ronin's, whatever it is, it appears like oil to the naked eye. In cells it merely seems to take the bloodcells over, absorbing them into the blight though they maintain shape. But any remedy introduced to it causes it to violently explode. The only thing that didn't react this way was with ascended blood. But I noticed...the way Ascended blood absorbed the blight was very similar to the way that the blight absorbed the blood cells. It...it almost seems like some sort of corrupted Ascended fluid...and more over the Voice sent one of her Ascended into the Greatwood to explore it all right after the barrier fell." she said softly, reporting it all.
PHOEBE

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"That happens." Frey commented lazily. "Monogamy is a bore anyways. Maybe a threesome would regain his interest." They added, shoulders shrugging casually against a cloud. Nearly as long as the god had known Phoebe there'd be some amount of male-dominated drama in her life. "Maybe you should try out women for a change." Frey added thoughtfully.

Listening, it was a good thing Phoebe could not see the god's face. Intentional, even. In an unthinkably fast instant, the god had rolled off of the cloud to appear before Phoebe. Their presence was monumental now; sexually prolific but now mountainous and striking as well. With hands firm and fast they grasped Phoebe's shoulder and placed a hand over her eyes, projecting a kaleidoscope of imagery into her mind.

Wolves, devouring a carcass. The ocean's relentless pounding overtaking a beach. A spider wrapping up and eating a fly. Cells swarming towards an infection and killing it. A shark eating a fish.

So on it went, natural instances of the phenomena Phoebe had witnessed: in all things, something stronger could over take something weaker. "What occurs in the ascended's blood is like what would happen in your own blood, if Rae poured more power into you, like the Voice did to the ascendeds." Frey explained, pulling back and turning so that Phoebe could not see their face.

"Their blood is made to keep them free of disease. Free of anything organically harmful."

The only similarity the god saw between the blight and the ascendeds was merely the strength of the cells and nothing more.
Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
Phoebe sighed at Frey's suggestion, shrugging lightly. Where usually she would have be thoroughly scandalized, she just couldn't muster that energy. "I've jokingly considered, but if I'm being honest I've just never gotten feelings like that for a woman." she said softly, not discounting the suggestion entirely. She'd just not experienced that sort of attraction to a woman before. "I might just...take a break from relationships for a bit." she said.

But suddenly Frey was infront of her and before her eyes could focus their hand was over them, a myriad of scenes playing out infront of her. At first she was simply overwhelmed by their presence, which briefly washed away the blight induced stupor and raged that made up her existence, feeling like herself - a blessing from her friend and god. But as she focused on the scenes, she was confused, brows furrowing. Frey just as suddenly separated from her walking away as they explained.

"But, Frey, that isn't what the blight is doing. It isn't destroying the blood cells it is...assimilating them. Making it part of itself, and that which is not its target causes it to explode." she said quickly, trying to take advantage of the respite their close presence had given her in her mind. So perhaps it wasn't ascended fluid but...Safrin didn't get ill until she entered the Spire. "And the more sick I become the less I feel I control myself and my mind." Was that what it was, a control substance? Instinctively she stepped closer to Frey, their aura, as arousing as it was, making her feel clarity. "I suppose I assumed it was something like Ascended fluid because the explosions reminded me of the way the Spire Demon exploded." she said softly.
PHOEBE

Change author:
"Who said anything about a relationship, kitten? If anything, you need to learn how to have a boy wink at you and then give you a good fuck, and not immediately plan a life together." They said casually. "And for Mort's sake use a condom. Nothing sucks the life out of you like seeing Mort mewling over unborn babies." Frey grumped, sighing. Humans were one of the only species that could help being pregnant. Though Rae didn't have many feelings on the subject, if it kept Mort from wailing about, that was as good a reason as any in Frey's books.

"My point exactly, honeybunch." They replied, raising their hands above their head and dipping to the side in a half-moon pose to stretch their right side. "The longer it abides in you, the more it will take over. Smaller sections at first, but it isn't long before it tackles organs." Frey agreed.

Though Phoebe stepped closer, the god still remained turned from her. "The demon exploded because it was programmed to." They snarled unhappily.
Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
She sighed as Frey went on, nodding a little. To be fair, she had tried that with Sunjata – but he had been the one who wanted to pursue it further. ”I’ll try.” she promised. It would be healthy to learn to not get so…attached so quickly. But their note about Mort confused her. She had only had the one pregnancy to her knowledge…was it just that she and Jata hadn’t used protection the one time? ”Sorry…I didn’t know that upset Mort so much…” she said – or frankly that Frey saw Mort often enough for the high god of death to complain to them about it.

The midwife also hadn’t known about the demon being…programmed…to explode. ”Oh.” she said softly, looking down. Frey had an uncanny way of taking everything she thought was sure and explaining it away. So she had to go back to basics.

”It has to come from the Spire otherwise there is no way Safrin would have gotten it.” she said softly thinking aloud. ”And that was the Voice’s space. Could this blight not be…programmed to explode if you try to treat it or impede its ability to take over? It already moves more quickly than is natural so…it has to be contrived, right?” she knew of nothing in nature that spread as quickly as the Blight did after all, nor anything that exploded when a drop of plant extract was put on it.
PHOEBE

Change author:
Yeah. Dead babies upset Mort.

"What the Voice is and isn't capable of is anyone's guess at this point. Who knows what she's been working on." They replied with a sigh, standing straight to lean over and stretch their other side. "The Spire is...veiled, you might say. None of us can see in. None of us are even supposed to go in." Frey added. Honestly, when Safrin had first become ill the deity thought it was just a punishment from Vi.

"So you're an expert on all of nature in this new world, huh pumpkin?" Frey mused. "What is and isn't natural is...debatable at this level. What Rae creates is natural, even though it's created. The whole reason the Voice was locked up, was because she started batting outside her league. If she's successful though, and her abilities rival Rae's ? Well. Who's to say what's natural, then."
Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
Dead babies also upset Phoebe, though she still struggled to wrap her head around the god of death being upset by death.

Frey’s mused was a slap on the wrist and she looked at the ground. ”No, I am no expert. Sorry.” she said softly, realizing she had gotten ahead of herself. Even if she were by human standards, in the face of Frey she certainly did not. She was silent for a time then, mulling over their words. ”A group went into the basement of the Spire to destroy some poisonous plants that were in the basement. They thought that might’ve caused the blight because that was where Safrin fell, but clearly that hasn’t stopped it. I…I haven’t gone to look in there myself, but I could. I don’t know if I would know for certain if I found the source though. If only you could see through my eyes.” she said with a sigh. That probably fell under the ‘don’t go in the Spire’ rule though.

”Does…does Rae understand what the blight is?” she asked. She honestly didn’t know much about Rae, nor had Frey ever spoken of them in much depth. ”Is there a reason why they are not looking for what it is like you are? Or are they just…too busy with something else?” She doubted her ability to know why a god did or didn’t do what they did or didn’t do. She had heard of Vi going to look in the Greatwood at the blight. Mort was apparently grieving lost babies. Safrin was sick, Frey had tasked her with helping research the blight, and Ludo…well she was sure there was enough death to keep a soul collector busy most of the time. Was Rae just too busy too? Or maybe they were looking into it and no one knew? Because to her, it was starting to seem like if Rae didn’t intervene they would never figure it out.
PHOEBE

Change author:
"If plants were doing this I'd be able to feel it, pickle." Frey replied, straightening again. The muscles of their back relaxed ever so slightly, but still the god kept their back to the midwife. Why? Well...She'd not find out.

The question of Rae had the deity sighing deeply. A peach appeared in one of their hands, but they merely looked at it, rather than raising it to their lips and luxuriating in the juices as they were wont to do. "Rae watches. They don't interfere when they don't have to." Frey replied tersely.
Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
”Even if the plants were in the Spire?” she asked. If the Spire was veiled, wouldn’t its contents also be? But she was beginning to wonder why Frey would not face her. It wasn’t terribly like them. ”Frey…why won’t you face me?” she asked quietly. Perhaps with the light she was disgusting to behold to a god, and so they didn’t wish to look at her. Or perhaps Frey was not maintaining their glamor like last time and they didn’t want to be seen.

She bit her lip and glanced down at the ground at the tone of Frey’s voice. Perhaps they didn’t get on with Rae well (though it seemed unlikely given that Frey was their herald), or perhaps they disagreed on this issue of the blight. ”They don’t consider this worth their involvement then, I take it?” she asked quietly. Frey had taken everything she thought she had figured out about the blight and turned it on its head, just as before, and for a moment she wondered if it was something a human could even figure out. She supposed she needed to go to the Spire and see if she could find anything at all resembling the blight in a last ditch effort.
PHOEBE

Change author:
"The plants talk. Nothing can be completely isolated." Frey replied. Then, looking up towards the sky, completely ignored Phoebe's question regarding their continued posture. Frey could feel her inward speculation, but didn't comment on it. Not every question she asked would receive an answer, after all.

"It is not for you to understand Rae's motives." They said with a hollow laugh. Not for any of them. "Don't even try hun, it'll spin you around and not in the fun way." Tossing the peach to the ground, it immediately spawned several pale peach-coloured flowers that bloomed in its wake, rolling onward until it had disappeared completely.

"Vi will...handle things. Consider your research done."

As done as the conversation, for no sooner had the words left their lips, but Frey was gone.

Phoebe has received +3 stats to be distributed as she chooses!
Coding base by Sky!