Fáilte

Age: 315 | Height: | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Silphi Away
Change author:
MP: 0
The weather here was cold. Colder than where he had come from. Colder than he had ever truly felt before. Aonghas never had to worry about the cold before, or warmth, or any kind of temperature really. Not until he had stepped through that portal that is. He was unsure how long had passed since he took tentative steps through to this land and to say that he would have perhaps done a few things differently was an understatement. In his initial journey he had set off unequipped, with no cloak or, money and certainly with no foresight of bringing any kind of weapon. He had also foolishly shifted into his mortal form before passing through the barrier and whatever had happened to him on his journey meant that he was now stuck in it.

It hadn’t been a pleasant experience either, he recalled that much. As soon as his body had passed through in its entirety, he felt his lungs fill with air so sharply it made his chest ache. Every muscle in his body tensed so tightly that he was sure the stiffness that followed was going to linger for a good long while after. Although it had felt a lot longer, the portal had taken him and deposited him again within mere seconds. When he appeared on the other side, in unfamiliar terrain he could barely take in his surroundings, all he could focus on was how his body felt. He felt heavy.

When he was finally able lift his head again he saw the outline of some sort of tower. A dark obelisk that towered higher than any man-made structure he had ever seen before. It loomed ominously in the distance. It was at this point Aonghas had tried to shift back, out of this human form, and back into himself. But he couldn’t. It was almost like he had forgotten how. His other abilities weren’t coming to his aid either. Whatever that portal had done to him, he hoped it wasn’t permanent…

Once Aonghas realised he couldn’t simply turn around and go back to where he had been before, he decided that being on the move was his best course of action. He needed to go somewhere to get his bearings, or at least to rest and try to figure out where to go from there. He began to head away from the black tower, towards ruins and perhaps, civilisation, or at least something living. So he walked.

After some time he caught a glimpse of a dome on an unusual building, it appeared to be in quite some disrepair. A place of worship perhaps? It didn’t matter, that’s where he was heading, he had little time to decide anything else as the cold had set in deep in his bones. Wrapping his arms around himself to try and maintain any heat that may be left in his body, Aonghas marched on heading into the grounds of the Atheneum.

Loren
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
They say blood makes you related but
loyalty makes you family
Loren had been running all over the Hollowed Grounds, too busy to spend much time at the Atheneum during Deepfrost. However, soon after his return he’d seen how (in the insanity of the past few seasons and his absence) the once restored and proud building had been falling into disrepair. So, despite the cold, despite the long list of things he had to do, despite the way others still didn’t know exactly what to make of the presence of the latest Launceleyn, who’d come back, seemingly from out of nowhere, he made sure to spend at least part of his day at the Atheneum, doing what little he could to keep it organized and safe from harm.

Today was no exception: after making sure everything was settled at the manor and running his ever-growing list of errands, he’d picked his way through the snow towards the familiar dome. As always these days, he was accompanied by Astra: the tiny luxere was totally unaffected by the cold, given her luscious coat. Indeed, she seemed thrilled to frolic in it, ranging ahead and behind in wide loops. She always returned to his side for a head rub before too long, so he wasn’t too worried. While she was still new in his life, the summoner was pretty sure he would never get used to seeing her by his side. It was a joy and a privilege he knew for a fact he did not deserve.

Today, however, it appeared they’d have some company among the stacks: directly in front of them, a man was also hurrying through the drifts, heading unmistakably for the Atheneum. Loren smiled, pleased that others still remembered the scrolls and books, but it quickly turned to a frown as he examined the figure ahead. From where the Launceleyn was standing, it didn’t look like the other man was adequately dressed for the cold. While normally Loren would have assumed the stranger was an Ascended—who weren’t bothered by such paltry things as extreme temperatures—the way the figure ahead clutched himself indicated that the other man was very much feeling the cold.

Picking up his pace, Loren tried to catch up to the unfamiliar figure. However, he wasn’t quite able to completely close the distance before the man ahead slipped through the doors of the Atheneum. Luckily, the summoner was right on the stranger's heels; indeed, the unfamiliar man was still just inside the entrance when the librarian pushed through it. ”Hey, are you alright? Here, take this.” The Launceleyn slung off his own cloak without a thought and handed it to the other man. It was warmer in the Atheneum, that much was true, but still chilly enough that Loren felt goosebumps, so no doubt the other man was suffering more. While the summoner wanted to ask what had possessed the stranger to walk out in the cold completely unprepared, the Launceleyn decided to make sure the other man was safe before plying him with questions. Astra, for her part, walked forward and huddled against the pitiful figure, offering her own body heat to the cause. That was always a good sign, since she was a much better judge of character than Loren was.
LOREN

Age: 315 | Height: | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
As Aonghas approached the Atheneum his pace quickened and he heard himself wish aloud that the doors would be open. Thankfully he wasn't completely out of luck today and they opened without any resistance. As soon as he crossed the threshold he felt his heart lift; he couldn’t think of another instance that he had been so happy about merely entering a building. His hands immediately jumped to rubbing his arms to try and generate any kind of warmth for himself with his shoulders hunched up to his ears.

Barely a moment had passed before the door had opened again and Aonghas sharply cranked his head back to look over his shoulder. A man had entered just behind him with a curious look on his face. Aonghas checked himself internally for not being more perceptive and striding to his goal with such tunnel-vision. He had opened his mouth to say something but found himself, in a rare occurrence, lost for words, so he was grateful the young man took the lead.

Aonghas took the cloak from him with scrambling hands as soon as it was offered and immediately slung it around his shoulders, pulling it tight and up close around his neck. “A kind thing to offer a stranger the cloak from your back, you have my thanks.” He heard the words leave him through a tightly clenched jaw.

“Apologies, I hope you pardon the intrusion. I got a little caught-out by the cold and hoped to seek shelter here for a short while?”

He hadn’t noticed it at first, being startled more by the entrance of the man now in front of him, but he had to do a double-take when it sidled up beside him. A small deer? Or something like it, was now nestled into his side. Again, he forgot himself and couldn’t quite help the puzzled expression that crossed his face. He hadn’t seen an animal such as this before; he was definitely a lot farther from home than he had initially thought. It was comforting though, to have the warmth of the garment wrapped around him and the small creature lending her fur close.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Loren just smiled at the other man. ”Well, it looked like you needed it far more than I did.” As the stranger wrapped the summoner’s cloak around the unfamiliar man's shivering body, the Launceleyn felt his eyes narrow. Hopefully the other man wasn’t so cold that he risked frostbite or hypothermia; already, Loren could feel healing magic uncoil within him, making his fingers twitch. He didn’t know if it would work against the cold, but it was worth a shot.

However, when the other man apologized for entering the building, the summoner blinked. ”Of course you can stay. The Atheneum is open to all.” Looking around at the stack-filled room, the Launceleyn frowned. ”I hope you don’t mind me asking, but are you from the Hollowed Grounds?” Wandering around in the snow completely unprepared for the cold, not knowing the buildings and their purpose, these were all signs of a new arrival. It was always best to confirm, though.

Making a split second decision to trust the stranger—the fact that Astra was still huddled against him spoke wonders for his character—the summoner pointed at a distant door. ”I think you’d probably be more comfortable in the office. Come on, follow me.” With that, Loren started making his way over to a small room carved into the side of the dome. He glanced back every now and then to make sure the stranger was following him. Once the summoner reached his office, he added wood to the small fire, then lit it with the matches he kept there. It was soon blazing merrily, and the room heated up.

Turning to the stranger, the summoner held up his hands. ”I have some magic that might help you. I’d need to touch you though.” If the other man would allow, Loren would lay his  hands, which glowed a soft sky blue, on the stranger’s shoulders: Aonghas would feel heat coursing through him, banishing any truly dangerous cold from his system. If not, however, the Launceleyn would just lean against the table in the small room, gesturing for the stranger to take the seat closest to the stove. Astra curled up at the foot of it, staring at the two men with wide and soulful eyes. While the librarian had questions, they could wait until the other man was warm and safe.
LOREN

Change author:
Aonghas dipped his head slightly giving an appreciative nod and a small smile to the man’s generosity. He was beginning to feel the benefits of the cloak already, albeit only a little. His body seemed to be even more stiff than before with how scrunched up he had been on his way to the domed structure. After this first brush with feeling any kind of temperature he was confident to say the cold was wholly unpleasant and the happier he would be for not having to return to it outside any time soon.

When the young man seemed confused by his apology, Aonghas followed suit and finally took a good proper look at the room he was standing in. Now it made sense, this was a place were people could freely obtain knowledge shared in the tomes and scrolls that looked to be housed in the stacks around them. Still, he knew it better to ask permission for hospitality than for forgiveness for trespassing. His head moved slightly with his eyes as he traced the intricacies of the dome for a moment, his gaze snapping back down at the question of where he was from.

He had no idea if he was from the Hollowed Grounds. He had no idea where he was right now. This was information he would have to acquire delicately later, when he could gather his thoughts a little better perhaps. For a moment he wasn’t entirely sure how he should answer as he knew that not everyone took so kindly to the idea of traversing realms so easily. However there was something underlying in the question, maybe some kind of revelation as to how exactly he had gotten here.

”To be frank I’m not entirely sure. I came from the black tower, not some ways away.”

Aonghas nodded again in thanks as the man began to lead him further into the Atheneum, relieved at the promise of comfort. He gently detached himself from the small Luxere as he made his way into the office. The relief turned quickly almost into delight as he watched the fire come to life and he instinctively stuck his hands out from under the cloak and outstretched towards the small flames.

When his host spoke again Aonghas was a little startled to hear him offer the use of his magic so freely, and subconsciously cast his eyes about as if searching for those hidden in the shadows who would do best not to overhear such a declaration. But it seemed completely normal. The man was holding his hands up awaiting the answer to this very, seemingly, mundane offer. Aonghas agreed with a little hesitation in his voice, but then awkwardly stood his arms pulled out a little away from his body in a welcoming gesture.

It was instantaneous. Suddenly his body was swathed in heat, not uncomfortably so, in fact it was far more pleasant than he ever could have hoped. He basked in the feeling for as long as it ensued, until the man’s hands had left his shoulders. He was left feeling comfortably cosy in his newly fragile body, and it was a welcome change.

Spotting the chair closest to the stove Aonghas pointed towards it ”Do you mind if I…?” he asked, before moving over and setting himself down.

"Thank you once again for your very generous hospitality. I’m lucky to have been happened upon by you when I was” Perhaps he was being a touch dramatic, but he definitely felt a little more at ease now.

After a brief pause and some internal reasoning with himself, he saw no harm in giving his name. ”My name is Aonghas. It seems I’ve strayed into this territory at a disadvantage. I’m not actually too sure where these Hollowed Grounds are."

He offered an apologetic smile. ”Or in fact, where here is…”
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
When the other man mentioned the black tower, Loren stiffened. ”The Spire?” The place of monsters and madness, where the blight had supposedly originated and too many had died: the Launceleyn really hoped he’d misheard or the other man was mistaken, because nothing that came from the Spire was pleasant. At least, not yet. Still, Astra trusted the stranger and mostly the other man just seemed cold at the moment, not at all a threat. So the summoner would remain watchful, but give the stranger the benefit of the doubt.

That didn’t stop Loren from healing the other man, though he hadn’t been sure it was working until he saw the stranger stop shivering and relax. Stepping away, the Launceleyn smiled, mostly to himself. Banishing the cold without the use of fire magic was a neat trick. When the stranger gestured at the chair, the summoner shook his head. ”Not at all. That’s what it’s there for.” When the other man expressed his gratitude, Loren just waved a hand. ”You were almost inside, and I’m sure you would’ve been fine without me or the gods intervening, or luck, whatever you might believe. But you’re welcome.” It was literally the least the summoner could do.

The stranger confessed to being, well, simply a stranger to this land, and Loren couldn’t help but breathe a sigh of relief. The unfamiliar man was just the latest arrival after all, not the latest horror spawned from The Spire. ”Alright. I know this is overwhelming, but just bear with me, and I’ll do my best to explain.” The Launceleyn was not the person best suited to this particular task, but at least he’d had a lot of experience lately. ”First, my name is Loren. It’s nice to meet you, Aonghas.” Though the summoner wasn’t sure he got the other man’s name exactly right, it was close enough.

”For some reason, through some method I can’t quite explain, you’ve stumbled into this world from your last. I know this is tough, and I’m sorry to be the one to tell you, but there’s no going back.” At least, not as far as they knew. Loren watched Aonghas carefully: this was always the hardest part to accept, and the librarian was prepared for any number of reactions. ”This land is called Caido, and the kingdom you’re in is called the Hollowed Grounds. I’m an outsider here too, though I’ve been here for a little over a year now.” Granted, he had spent most of that time out of his mind, but it was probably best not to mention that to the stranger. ”I know this is overwhelming. But I can help you out until you get settled here.” This wouldn’t be the first fellow Outlander the Launceleyn had coached through the transition. At this rate, the summoner was collecting his fair share of strays.
LOREN

Change author:
Aonghas noted a slight shift in the air after he had explained that he wasn’t exactly local to this area and raised a curious brow at the notion of perhaps being overwhelmed by what would come next. He had lived a long life and had experienced many strange things throughout it so far; he wouldn’t have said that he was easily overwhelmed by magical happenings.

As Loren explained the somewhat randomness of being brought here and for there being no real rhyme or reason for it, Aonghas politely nodded along. So the portal had indeed taken him to a different world rather than somewhere else in his own. Initially he hadn’t quite been sure if perhaps the hag he was seeking had opened the portal knowing his curiosity would get the better of him as a means to toy with him. This wasn’t the Otherworld, he knew that much as soon as he had stepped out into the shadow of the Spire the portal had transported him to. What exactly Caido was, he supposed, he would just have to find out.

Momentarily lost in his thoughts he gently shook his head back to reality and the polite nodding stopped at the mention that there was no way to get back to his own world. That couldn’t be true surely? Stepping back and forth between realms was always possible wasn’t it? He had done it so many times before on a mere whim. As Loren paused, his last statement sunk in. He wasn’t going back. Aonghas’ hand instinctively moved up towards his neck to reach for something that wasn’t there. Of course it wasn’t. He came through the portal without it. Catching himself, he lowered his hand again as he realised Loren’s eyes were upon him. ”I see…” He had tried his best to keep his composure but his gaze betrayed him by straying to the floor.

There was something almost comforting to know that he was not the only stranger to these lands; almost. It was, he guessed, why Loren was so open about his magical ability. Perhaps customs and pecking orders were a little different here.

Aonghas appreciated the offer of help and raised his gaze to meet his hosts’ once more. ”I… Thank you. Again .” He paused for a moment, looking pensive. ”I had assumed that I would be able to return once I felt a little more… like myself. But since that isn’t an option right now any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated.” At this point yes, perhaps he was feeling a little overwhelmed. He didn’t really know how to process the information he received, but he was in a strange land with no personal effects so information on Caido was the best way of preparing himself for what comes next.

”You mentioned you too are an outsider, and you don’t seem so surprised about the circumstances of my arrival here. How many others have been brought from their worlds to Caido?” He hunched forward in the chair a little and cast a glance down to the Luxere that had curled up at the base of it, reaching down thoughtlessly to give her a gentle pat.
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
As Aonghas glanced at the floor, Loren gave the other man a sympathetic smile. ”It’s hard to wrap your mind around, and harder still to accept, I know that. If you need a minute, I can give you some space.” The beginning, when the new arrivals first arrived and needed to get used to this strange new world, was always the hardest. The summoner hadn’t been able to handle it, which contributed in no small part to his own mental breakdown and disappearance.

Waving away the other man’s thanks, the summoner took a seat across the small desk from Aonghas, so the librarian wasn’t hovering awkwardly over the other man. ”You’re welcome, again, but seriously, don’t mention it. I know what you’ve been through, and the transition is rough enough on its own.” Clasping his hands in his lap, the Launceleyn wondered what Aonghas meant by not feeling like himself, but the summoner chose not to ask about that just yet. Interrogating the stranger would undo any trust that Loren had built between them.

”For starters, besides the cloak and the fire I can offer you a bed. My home has some empty rooms at the moment, and you’re welcome to stay there as long as you need to. That comes with food, too.” The Manor was fully stocked up for Deepfrost, and though it was filling up now and would be completely full for LongNight, they could support one more mouth. Besides, if the summoner asked, he knew he could get some extra supplies for a newcomer. And the more people he gathered there, the safer they'd be. Plus, the dour halls would benefit from some more voices echoing within them.

At the rather insightful (and definitely unexpected) question, Loren gave the other man a surprised look. ”I don’t know, actually. Quite a few. When I first came here, I arrived with a large group of people, mostly from my world. That was the largest single group to arrive, as far as I know. But there were people from other worlds among us. And there are people native to Caido in the Hollowed Grounds as well, plus even now we still have those like yourself, who stumble upon a hidden place and find themselves transported here, so it's hard to say.”The truth of the matter was, Loren had no idea how many outsiders there were or how many worlds they had come from. He didn't think anyone did.
LOREN

Change author:
It wasn’t going to be so easy to come to terms with – the idea of remaining in Caido indefinitely, however his external coping method would be for himself, when he was properly alone. Aonghas decided he would wait until later before he unpackaged the events of the day, if only to keep up the façade of being fine with it all for now.

The transition was indeed going to be hard. He really had no idea what he was going to do, he had no foothold in any capacity in this world. The magic that had been essential to him in his own world seemed to have left him in this one. It was a vulnerable position he had found himself in, something that put him on edge.

”A place to sleep would be greatly welcomed. At least just until I am able to become better acquainted with the situation I’ve fallen into.” Normally Aonghas wasn’t as quick to jump on an offer like this from someone he didn’t know at all. But he really had little choice, what was the alternative? Sleeping out in the snow in a land he knew nothing about wouldn’t end well for him, he knew that much.

As he listened to Loren explain what he knew of the inhabitants, old and new, of Caido he wasn’t sure what to think of it. It was interesting to find out there were more than two realms, and maybe he could ask Loren about where it was he had come from, but another time perhaps when it was more appropriate. The prospect of having so many different natives from many other worlds converging in the one place was certainly novel. He wondered if anyone else from his neck of the woods had come through before or if he was the first.

”It’s good to know that settling here is at least an option for an outsider. I imagine the natives are well equipped with dealing with newcomers at this point if it is such a common occurrence” He at least hoped that if any kind of resistance were to be met then it would be minimal. Back in his land strangers were a thing to be wary of and finding a warm welcome like he had found upon his arrival here, was a rare thing.

”And this place? This is your library?” Aonghas gestured to the office around him.
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Aonghas accepted Loren’s offer of a place to stay, thankfully. It was hard enough getting used to Caido without sleeping out in the wilderness, especially in Deepfrost. The summoner should know: he’d spent more than his fair share of cold, dark, hard nights sleeping on the ground, both in this world and in his previous two. ”You’re welcome to stay with me for as long as you need.” In fact, the longer the better: Loren, strange as it might sound, felt that he could use the company.

As the other man mused about the natives and their relationship to the outsiders constantly popping into their lives, the Launceleyn couldn’t help but chuckle. ”They are very welcoming, that much is true, but they also quite quick to remind you that they have been here for far longer than us and that we are but ignorant outlanders compared to them. And mostly I’ve found that they are right about that.” At the other man’s question about the Atheneum, the summoner smiled and shook his head. ”This is the Atheneum, and yes, it’s a library of sorts. However, it’s certainly not mine. It belongs to all the people of the Hollowed Grounds. I simply help out when I can.” That was less true than he would’ve liked, but Loren had a lot to do—including welcoming new arrivals to Caido, it seemed—and he had little time to spare for the scrolls and tomes that so clearly needed attention.
LOREN

Change author:
Aonghas gave another nod of his head as thanks, grateful he now didn’t have to worry about where he would be resting his head tonight. Also at the prospect of being fed. The effects of his mortal body already kicking in, he could feel a slight twinge in his stomach. He had never had to worry about going hungry before. Something else to look forward to. This was definitely going to be a hard thing to get used to.

A short laugh escaped his throat at Loren’s description of the natives. Not so different here after all.

But something he said struck some kind of a chord. “Ignorant? How so?” Aonghas assumed Loren was talking about newcomers ignoring customs of this world. If that were true it was something he would need to get up to speed on - standing out in unfamiliar ground was definitely something he didn’t enjoy. “Is there anything pressing I should know about this land? Any hierarchy within the people here?” It was always good to find out who was in charge as possible, if only so he would know not to rub them up the wrong way.

His expression brightened at learning about Athenuem. “It would seem then, that I’ve stumbled upon the right place on arrival. I’m sure I can learn much about Caido in here.” He hunched down again to pat the Luxere at his feet a little absent mindedly. ”I don’t think I’ve ever known a deer to be so comfortable around people before. What a remarkable creature.” The words had left him before he had even realised.
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Loren hesitated, taken aback by Aonghas’ question. ”Oh. Well. So.” Sighing, the Launceleyn ran a hand through his hair, surprised and not entirely happy that he’d have to explain the recent political dynamics of the Hollowed Grounds to a newcomer. ”There was an Outlander, like you, who thought she knew better how to rule this kingdom. So she declared herself queen. The Naturals were obviously displeased by this development, as we many of the other Outlanders, and there was a struggle, of sorts. But she’s gone, now, to only the gods know where, and there’s a Natural queen in her stead, Queen Wessex.” That was as succinct a way of putting the horrors of Zariah’s reign as Loren knew.

”So as for customs, there aren’t many you should worry about for now. Just be respectful of everyone you meet, and don’t be afraid to ask questions and for help, and don’t always assume you know what’s best for other people. But that’s true everywhere you go.” Loren himself was guilty of making such assumptions, though hopefully he was growing out of that habit.

The other man’s happiness at the idea of the Atheneum caused the summoner to smile. ”I’m sure you can. But there will be time enough for that. Let’s get you settled in and housed before you go exploring all the mysteries this world has to offer.” The Launceleyn’s grin only grew when Aonghas complimented Astra. For her part, the luxere heard her name and nuzzled her head against the other man’s leg. ”That is Astra, and I agree, she is a remarkable creature. Though she’s actually a luxere, not a deer. Her antlers glow in the dark, and offer some protection against the darker magics.” Anyone willing to compliment Astra was a good person in Loren’s book.
LOREN

Change author:
As Loren gave a somewhat vague explanation of the current state of affairs of leadership in Caido, it was the sigh that Aonghas took notice of. Power dynamics were rarely so straightforward where he was from so he supposed he shouldn’t be surprised that the same was true here. It also wasn’t unheard of to him that someone from foreign land would take power when and where they desired it. He couldn’t garner under what circumstances the Outlander had made herself queen but from how uncomfortable Loren appeared to be speaking about the subject Aonghas knew better than to press on with further questions. At least for now. He nodded along as Loren spoke, not giving away too much in his expression, mainly looking appreciative for the information being offered. ”Queen Wassex.” he repeated quietly and with an affirming nod, familiarising himself with the name.  

As Loren continued, Aonghas cocked his head a little at the reappearance of the notion of not assuming to know what’s best for others. “Oh, I’m sure we all know better. That is, until someone else knows better than us.” An amused smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. It definitely was something that was true everywhere you go, he agreed with that. What was also true of most places was that when you were certain you knew better it was often wise to keep the machinations that stem from such thoughts to yourself.

Loren seemed genuinely pleased at Aonghas’ interest in the library, he returned the smile. However he had raised a very good point about being housed and settled first before doing anything else. ”Ah, yes. I think I’m getting a bit ahead of myself. My information offensive is only down to my lack of preparedness I’ve found myself in on arriving here." He repositioned himself so he was sat back in the chair. ”But I think you’re right. I should at least let the gravity of these new circumstances sink in first before ransacking your bookshelves.” He kept a light tone to his voice. It was true, it did sound like he was going to have a very long time to do as much reading as he wanted about Caido, he had only just arrived after all.

He glanced over at Loren who seemed brimming with pride as he spoke of Astra, and then craned his neck to look down at her antlers. She truly was a beautiful animal. He wondered if an animal was in fact all she was, or if perhaps she had another form. After a moment his gaze dropped again, as he quietly tried to focus on the magic that should have been coursing through him. After being brought into the office and Loren using his own magic to warm him, Aonghas felt that he should be at a reasonable level of comfort to make another attempt to reconnect with his abilities. Flexing out his fingers and then gently curling them back again as if limbering up to kick-start the magic flow. But he felt nothing.

Realising he had gone noticeably quiet he wondered if he should perhaps ask Loren about his magic. Even if he was aware there would be a curiosity as to the reasoning behind his question. Nevertheless he decided to break the silence. ”I hope this isn’t too blunt of me to ask but I was wondering… your magic. When you first arrived here, was everything in working order or did it take you time to adjust?” He picked his words as carefully as he could, still a little unsure about how it came across.
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
”Wessex.” The correction was automatic, and Loren gave Aonghas a sheepish and apologetic grin. ”Sorry. Habit. But also don’t call her by the wrong name.” The queen was a good ruler—better than most the summoner had served under—but she wasn’t always the most forgiving or understanding. Then again, that might be part of what made her a good ruler. At the other man’s comment about acting superior, Loren cocked his head. While the Launceleyn wasn’t sure quite what to make of the statement, better to be safe than sorry. ”Well, some people, myself included, took longer to learn that lesson than others, and it caused us all kinds of problems. So listen more than you speak, if you can.” Again, sage advice, and one that Loren would do well to follow. Spoiler alert: he wouldn’t.

Waving away the other man’s words, the Launceleyn grinned. ”Trust me, I understand curiosity. But I also understand that if you come back here with a good night’s sleep under your belt, dressed in proper clothes, and with a hot meal in you, your research will be much more fruitful. Besides, I’ve barely scratched the surface of Caido, and I’ll bet your reading will be much more targeted and take much less time if you learn a bit more about this world before diving into musty tomes.” There was indeed much to discover, but not all of it could be found in the Atheneum, and most of it came from better sources than Loren.

At Aonghas’ tone and question Loren hesitated. There was something in the other man’s voice that made the summoner think this answer was more important than he otherwise might realize. ”Not blunt at all. I’m always happy to talk about my magic.” Pausing, he tried to come up with a succinct explanation. ”I’ve always had magic, but no, not everything stayed the same when I came to Caido. I gained some abilities I never had, and never even heard of in my last world, and lost some that I had before.” Giving Aonghas a considering look, the Launceleyn decided to keep going. ”Some of what I lost came back. But something about the process of being brought here...changes people. Some forms and skills are apparently incompatible with this land, and were lost in the transition, but others became more than they once were.” It sounded like Aonghas might be one of the former, which made Loren’s heart go out to the other man.

"Why do you ask?" There might not be anything the summoner could do besides provide comfort. But sometimes that was enough. Indeed, Astra was already responding to Aonghas' cautious and quiet inquiry by nuzzling her head against his leg, careful to keep her antlers out of the way.
LOREN