Housemates
For Ronin
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Samuel
Sam had been living in the Monster Hunter's guild for a little while, and he wasn't sure if he liked it or not. It wasn't where he wanted to be, after all - he had come to live there as the result of an assault and he was living in near-hiding. But Remi was as good a host as any, even in his despair, and he had Nate to cling onto at night, pretend they were closer than they were and use the fantasy for comfort.

When he first heard Ronin's voice from his room, he was sure he was making it up. He was almost convinced that the man was dead; had beaten himself up over it time and time again, even though Remi had told him Ronin's particular affliction was not his fault. The noises he heard afterwards though...well. He was sure Remi would not do such things with anyone else with Ronin in the woods.

After a wakeful and confused night, full of speculation, he walked out in the early morning from the room he shared with Nate to make a cup of tea. Sat waiting for water to boil over the fire, he hugged his knees (still wearing his pajamas, light cotton pants and a loose shirt, much mroe casual than his usual attire) and looked out to the early morning outside the window. If Ronin was alive, what did that mean for his guilt? Would the man be angry at him? Angry that he, one of the Ascended that had spread the disease that had nearly taken his life, was living in his home?

And it's hard to write about being happy
'Cause the older I get
I find that happiness is an extremely uneventful subject
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

It was lucky that Ronin had remembered, belately, that they had guests, because that prevented him from swaggering down the stairs naked. Granted, he had only remembered to pull on a pair of loose pants that sat low on his hips, the guildmaster obviously not expecting anyone to be about at this time. He had every intention of returning to Remi shortly anyway, only surfacing to stop his belly from rumbling (being blighted was hungry work).

So at the sight of Sam before the fire, Ronin paused mid yawn, rubbing sleepily at his eyes trying to make his mind connect the two events. "Oh, hey," he said eventually, offering the Ascended a lopsided smile. "Sorry, I didn't think anyone would be up right now. Is everything alright...? Remi told me about what happened to you."

ronypony
it's always nice to make an impression
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Samuel
Sam should have heard Ronin's footsteps approaching, but he was so wrapped up in his guilt-sodden thoughts that he wasn't aware of anyone until Ronin spoke. His shoulders flinched and he took in a sharp breath, turning around too quickly as if expecting something horrible.

When he actually saw Ronin and heard him speak, he felt a mix of both relief and a new fear. "H-hello. Yes, I'm fine, um...I'm...sorry, for just intruding like this, I'm just here until the end of Longnight." If only that was all he had to apologise for - while his stay at the guild was awkward it was something he would have been able to get his conscious around. "And I'm..glad to see you're well, and I'm sorry..."

He couldn't say the rest of the sentence so he just smiled weakly and sipped at his tea, hoping Ronin understood. It would likely be awkward, but he didn't really know how to not be uncomfortable; it was Sam's default state.

'Cause the older I get
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

At the Ascended's apology, Ronin waved a gentle hand as if to tell him not to worry about it, the hunter padding across towards the kitchen, intent on getting some food and tea for himself. "You're welcome any time," he assured the other man, ruffling his fingers through his messy hair. At Sam's extra apology, however, Ronin turned to lean gently against the doorframe, his brow furrowing.

"For what?" he blurted; he could be forgiven for having just woken up and come back to his senses, he hoped. His tact was lacking a bit. "Oh... oh." He caught up with himself eventually. "It's... you didn't know. It's okay. I mean... I'm okay, and I hope everyone else will be too."

ronypony
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Ronin was kind, like Remi; Sam let go a breath he didn't know he was holding as the other man didn't descend into (admittedly, out of character) yelling fit. He would be entitled to, after all Sam had done to him and everyone else.

In some ways, he wished someone would yell at him. Maybe then he'd feel like he'd paid some kind of actual price for it.

"I'm very glad, about that." Sam pressed his knees together on his hands and his shoulders slumped. "Have you seen anyone else who has recovered? What...did it feel like?" Perhaps a too serious question for a man just woken up, but Sam had poor perceptions of these things after he'd stopped sleeping himself regularly years ago.

'Cause the older I get
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

”As am I.” Ronin smiled, disappearing briefly back into the kitchen and returning a moment later with two teacups - he planned to take one up to Remi - and one of Amalia’s sweet pastries (that, however, was all for Ronin). Providing Sam didn’t stop him, the guildmaster would slump to sit down beside the Ascended, reaching out to fill the cups with the boiling water so that the tea leaves could steep.

Sam’s question, while admittedly tactless, was not entirely unexpected. ”Not yet,” he said of meeting any other recovered blighted. He was still hopeful, though, that as time passed the others who had shown symptoms would also find themselves feeling better. As for how it had felt...

”I don’t know if it was the same for everyone, but for me it was like... watching myself, from far away. And there was nothing I could do about it. The world lost all of its colour. It was awful.”

ronypony
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Sam watched Ronin fill the teacups and sit next to him, surprised even though he was forgiven that the man could so easily sit next to him. Even without The Blight, in some circles they could be enemies anyway. Sam had once loved his husband, had hurt him too - it would not be ridiculous if Ronin had taken against him based on that. Yet here they were, and he found himself grateful for the good souls of the people he knew.

The answer to his question struck him, because while he was sure it wasn't the same kind of distance, Ronin had described exactly how years of mental illness had felt when he had been alone in his house. Watching himself from afar all day going through the motions, waiting for the monotone world to end.

It showed on his face, but could hopefully simply pass for shocked sympathy. After a moment he nodded grimly. "It does sound awful. I heard some people...hurt people. I know one of my friends said some things to me that...well, I hope he didn't mean. But I've heard it can get violent, too."

'Cause the older I get
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

Perhaps it was the fact that he apparently ruled (apparently because Ronin didn’t actually have much of an idea about what was happening in the Hollowed Grounds currently) alongside an Ascended that made it easier to talk to Sam. Perhaps it was simply because he was home and in his right mind for once. Or - probably the most likely - it was simply because he had gotten to fall asleep with Remi again, and this was what Remi had wanted. Either way, there wasn’t an ounce of bad blood in his expression as they sat together; this time a year ago, after all, they had been singing to the Luxere in the Glade.

Murmuring a quiet agreement that the blight had been awful, in a word, Ronin couldn’t help but cringe a bit at the reminder that the disease could make you hurt people. ”Yes, that’s right, he said quietly. For a second Skyler’s face flashed before his eyes, the wet sound of Ronin’s fists slowly turning it to pulp. He’d hunted Remi too, in the woods.

The guildmaster shuddered. ”We didn’t mean it. None of us, I don’t think. I’m just glad that our loved ones didn’t lose hope, and found a way to bring us back.”

ronypony
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
"Mmm...it does sound so horrible. I'm sorry. I'm glad you're back." Sam said almost automatically, his brain going down a whole new route of (self-deprecating, of course) thought. For Ronin to hurt those he loved, he had had to be taken over by a hideous disease that ate at his very soul. For Sam in the Spire, all it had taken was some panic and an instruction.

No. It wasn't real he insisted to himself.

Perhaps a topic change was in order; he doubted either of them wanted to linger much on the Blight. "So...what is it like, being King? Have you gone mad with power yet?" He smirked just a little, the faint joke making him feel better.

'Cause the older I get
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

The Blight certainly wasn’t Ronin’s favourite subject of conversation, no. But weirdly he thought he might prefer it to a conversation about being King. Smiling faintly and rubbing at the back of his head, he spoke to the brewing tea leaves rather than looking at the Ascended. ”I mean... I haven’t really had a chance to do much just yet. So far it’s a lot of meeting, mostly with Wessex now that Edrei isn’t with us any longer.” He shrugged, wishing he could offer more insight into it. ”Now that I’m back I’m hoping to be a more active part in things.”

Or resign. Either way.

”How is the bookshop doing...?” He asked, a little awkwardly as he glanced across at Sam. Ronin was usually good with small talk, but perhaps that skill, too, was still recovering.

ronypony
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
"Oh, yes, I...heard about Edrei." Sam's brows came together as he sighed, unsure of what else to say. He had not been close to her, but the nighttime walk they had shared, where she had given him some...unique advice, had stuck with him. She had seemed invincible, then - clearly she hadn't been. "There's so much death, at the moment."

Perhaps a new lease of life for the town was what they needed. "What would that 'active part' look like...?" There were cautions on his tongue, that Ronin as an Outlander had to be careful about what he said to not come off as pompous, but he held them back. The man already knew, he was sure.

"The shop? Um...honestly, I haven't made a sale in a long time. With Zariah, and exploring the Greatwood, then coming back and all the Blight...then having to come here...then it's Longnight." Sam laughed, the sound a little desperate. "Maybe after Deepfrost I'll have a chance to put ink to paper and sell some stories again. But...honestly, since I hardly eat, I don't have that many expenses."

'Cause the older I get
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

Ronin gave a sad hum of agreement as conversation moved to Edrei, the guildmaster lowering his gaze to the cups of tea that were brewing. It was just as Sam had said. There was so much death lately, and it didn’t seem to be going to change, not with LongNight just around the corner. As for his active role, Ronin nibbled at his bottom lip and shrugged. ”I want to make sure that the people of the Hollowed Grounds see the changes that they want. Not necessarily the changes that some monarch thinks is best for them.”

But was he the man for the job? Amalia had chosen him, others had apparently voted for him, and here he was. But so much had changed, so much had happened...

Shaking that thought away for later, Ronin gladly threw himself into talk about Sam’s shop, though he was gathering the cups together now too, in preparation to take them up to the bedroom. He had no intention of letting Remi wake up alone. ”I’ll be sure to drop by soon. You might not have many expenses, but you’re still good at what you do. The guild could always use more copies of the almanac.”

ronypony