[SE-OPEN] Trying the Best We Can
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Bastien
Cradling his second rose in his hands like it was the precious baby Jesus himself (a similie that would mean nothing to the majority of people in Caido, he thought, which was still odd) Bastien walked towards the Spire. The structure was imposing in it's large size, reminded him of the large buildings around the plaza in Venice. Those had been baroque, decorated in intricate stone carvings and details, whereas this was almost brutal in it's simplicity.

He did not care for it, but he supposed it had not been built for it's aesthetic properties. A prison of sorts, he understood from what he'd heard. Not having been at the breach until he had come to rescue Rexanna some time after the main event, he did not know quite what had happened here.

At the base of the Spire he saw several roses already planted. The intent was hopeful, but he couldn't help but see a memorial for those not yet dead. Kneeling, he began to dig a little hole in the cold dirt, wondering if The Voice would find it tasteless he was planting flowers at the scene of her...companions? Her own? imprisonment (he really had to find out more about the pantheon he had sworn himself to. This level of ignorance was embarrassing even for Bastien).

Not expecting company, he looked up to the Spire and idly spoke to it as he worked to get the rose in the ground. "Perhaps the roses can grow up and surround you, make you a symbol of something other than a battle or a prison, hm? Certainly might improve the landscape. While I am not a rose gardener like my parents, I can see the elegance in what they did here. These little flowers...they are beautiful."

What God doesn't give to you
You've got to go and get for yourself
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
full moon rising on the waters of my soul
The urge to plant the Roses was annoying, and persistent, and Amun was sick and tired of dealing with it after even a short time. And since it seemed impossible to get rid of the voice in his head telling him to hurry up already, he figured he’d just get the task over with as soon as possible. Which was why he was returning to the place where he’d first come into this world: the dark and ruined tower the locals called the Spire. Although it was hardly his favorite place to be, it was necessary, if only to get this nagging compulsion out of his mind.

So he walked through the night, Rose clutched carefully in one unfeeling hand. There were other flowers already at the Spire, so Amun hoped to just get there, plant it, and go home. Not that he really had a home; he’d been crashing in various ruins during the day to avoid the sunlight, and roaming all night. Presumably he would have to find a more permanent residence soon, but for now the freewheeling lifestyle was working for him.

He still hadn’t gotten any clothes, so his only concession to the cold and the snow that he couldn’t feel were the shorts he was wearing. They were all he’d come through with—his old home had been a hot and steamy jungle—and seeing as further clothing was unnecessary it didn’t seem nearly as much a priority as planting these damn flowers.

In the distance, Amun could see another man kneeling and planting his own Rose. Seeing as Amun was still new to these parts, he figured he could use the company. Coming up behind the other man, Amun caught the tail end of the stranger’s words. ”They are beautiful, and I agree, do much to improve this place.” Amun’s voice came out in an easy drawl, and he walked around to the other man’s front, eyes roaming appreciably over the stranger. ”As do you. Hey handsome, I’m Amun. I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure of meeting you yet.” The potter held out his hand for the other man to shake before kneeling to plant his own bloom in the rapidly expanding field of them. It took him a little bit of time to clear the snow and then dig the dirt, but he managed.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Bastien
A voice responded to his own words and for just a second, Bastien squinted suspiciously at the Spire, wondering if it had gained a soul of it's own in the last few months. It wouldn't be entirely out of the blue, not in this place -- but no, it became very quickly obvious that what was actually happening had a much more sensible explanation; a man coming up behind him.

Though when he turned to see, Bastien had to hold back a laugh. Just shorts? As the man spoke Bastien looked for fangs in his mouth and upon finding them, understood a little more."Amun. Well, hello. Bastien De Rosieres." He took the hand and shook it with a confident smile, knowing he already liked this man. Anyone who addressed him as handsome from the beginning was going to be a winner.

"I have not seen you before. Though it appears if you are new, you've immediately taken to the chores of the Gods, hm?" He observed, watching Amun plant his flower. Truthfully he hardly knew why he was doing it himself, and he had had a year to learn all about the Gods in Caido. "Before you even sought out clothes, apparently."

When Bastien had first arrived, he had appeared in only sleeping pants himself, so he did have some sympathy. "If you need clothes or place to stay...well, you are better to ask me than a lot of the other people here."

Lusea Kotze
Messenger

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: 7 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: charks Offline
Change author:
LUSEA
Roses.

Truth be told, now that I have these things I don't really know what to do with them. So the first place I hit up is the Spire, because it seems to be where other people are congregating with their flowers so there must be something to it. I'm wearing simple clothes (fuck this cold), black pants and a black shirt and a fur coat I stole from Sunny's place, a choker on my neck to cover the scar, braces on my wrists for similar reasons. A bright green scarf finishes off the look, and a hat, and gloves, because I would like as little of my skin exposed as possible, please and thank you.

It's been through enough shit. Don't need to add frostbite.

I'm still freezing when I get to the Spire and spot two dudes digging in the dirt. They look approachable enough: attractive, smiling, like they know what they're doing, and very scantily dressed, which is more fascinating than anything else. Sliding up behind them, my feet crunching loudly in the stupid and incessant snow, I make no effort to conceal myself as I lean against a big hunk of stone a comfortable distance away just in case, the flower sitting in my gloved hands. "I must have missed my invite to the half naked rose planting party. Bummer."
Cross my heart, hope to die
to my lover i'd never lie
We got that love, the crazy kind
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Luckily, Amun’s overtures were accepted, or at least not totally rebuffed. As Bastien took the potter’s hand he grinned and winked. ”Bastien de Rosieres. A beautiful name for a beautiful man.” The potter would have let the handshake go on for a few seconds too long, and maybe even brushed a finger against the other man’s palm, but Amun had spotted fangs in the other man’s mouth, twin to the ones Amun had, so there wasn’t much reason for it.

At Bastien’s comment, Amun threw back his head and laughed. It felt good, though he knew it was probably inappropriate. Still, there was little joy for him in this godsforsaken land, so he was going to milk every last drop of it he could. ”Well, you see, I'm new, as you guessed, and wanted to explore a bit. So I was going for a nice moonlit walk in the forest, and I stumbled upon this pretty little clearing with the most beautiful flowers I’d ever seen. Something told me to spread them around, so I picked a few, and, well, here I am.” Whether or not it was the gods or some strange magic of this land, he couldn’t say, but if that’s what the other man thought was going on, some divine plan guiding their steps, the potter would believe it.

He stood and dusted off his hands before winking at the other man again. ”Besides, clothes are overrated, in my opinion. Especially now.” Amun let his gaze drift downwards so there was no doubt he was flirting with the other man. It was a bit of harmless fun, in his mind, though if Bastien was interested Amun wouldn’t mind. Granted, he didn’t really know if or how Ascended got it on, considering their lack of physical sensation. However, it was always worth a shot. ”Oh? Not looking to take in a poor and pretty young thing from the cold?” The potter spread his hands and batted his eyes at Bastien; maybe Amun was laying it on a little thick, but this was the first person the potter had encountered in this desolate land who seemed to know how to have a bit of fun. Besides, the other man was indeed cute.

Of course, just then a woman, totally bundled up against the cold, showed up. Amun gave her an easy smile. ”Well, it's an open invitation, and you’re here now, and they do say the more the merrier.” While the potter didn’t have much interest in the feminine form, the woman was pretty enough, though he could barely see her under the fabrics she’d wrapped herself in. He walked towards her, holding out his hand. ”Amun Arlun, at your service.”
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
"And I thought I was the only one to say so." Easily Bastien returned Amun's flirting with a smirk. While he was a married man now, he was never averse to a bit of fun. If it seemed like the man was actually interested in him, then he would mention the fact that he had a wife (though, the ring on his finger did speak volumes for him). "You have stumbled on the most important task we have right now, in this world."

He watched Amun go to plant his rose, wondering if he would have done it if the flowers had been the very first thing he'd found. Maybe. It was the sort of poetic thing he cared to do. "You are more than welcome to come and stay in my guild, but you will need to earn your keep by making something wonderful. If you feel you can meet that price..." He shrugged and smiled. "Then welcome."

Another voice entering the conversation drew his attention - another new friend. "I didn't know either, hence my regrettable choice to entirely clothe myself." Bastien gestured down to himself. "But feel free to join, plant a flower, become half naked...I will not stop your fun."

Lusea Kotze
Messenger

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
LUSEA
"I'd take you up on the offer, but I doubt I'd be able to withstand the cold." Raising an eyebrow, I glance between the men, still rather bemused by the scantily clad one. He comes toward me, and for a moment I stiffen, old instincts and trauma kicking me in the shins. Then the moment passes and I take his hand, squeezing it in my own gloved ones and meeting his dark gaze with a smile. "Lusea. Pleasure." The other man is much less forward, though he too seems friendly enough. "And you were...?"

Kneeling down with the rose in my hands, I begin to pick at the hard earth, frowning as the stone I've grabbed fails to make much of a dent. "You two made this look so easy." I laugh a little, shrugging and putting the rose into my remarkably shallow hole. Good enough, right?

Rising back up, I wipe the dirt from my hands onto my pants. "So what's your secret, Amun Arlun? It can't be that you're warding off the cold with good looks alone." A flirtatious smile that doesn't mean anything: it's an easy role to fall back into, the friendly bartender with perfectly maintained walls behind a soft facade.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Yes, Amun saw the ring on the other man’s finger. No it did not deter the potter in the slightest. ”Well. I’m happy to remind you of that fact as many times and in as many ways as you'll let me.” Amun winked again for good measure. Then they talked about the task, and yes yes, gods, blight, but the potter just wanted the voices out of his head. At the mention of a place to stay, the potter gave Bastien a brilliant grin. ”Well that is a very, very attractive offer. I suppose making love does not count as something wonderful?” The potter waggled his eyebrows, but it was clear he wasn’t particularly serious. ”How does pottery sound instead?” It had been too long since Amun had actually made something, so he was probably a bit rusty, but it was one of his great loves and he would always be happy for an opportunity to practice it.

If the new arrival had been another man, Amun would’ve made the obligatory joke about heating things up. However, pretty as the woman was, he didn’t have any particular interest in seeing if she’d like a bite. From him, of course. So instead he just smiled wickedly at Lusea. ”The pleasure is all mine.” As she confessed to having trouble with her bloom, the potter laughed and knelt, digging through the snow and dirt for her and helping make sure the flower was secure. ”I know. It’s tough being this good at things.”

As she inquired after his secret, Amun winked. ”I am hot, thanks for noticing.” However, he was mostly just teasing her at this point and he gave her a lazy grin. ”I’m an Ascended. We don’t feel the cold, or much of anything, really.” If she didn’t know what that was, he’d explain, although it might come better from Bastien.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
"I was Bastien, and I think I still am." Bastien jokingly said, taking a little fun out of the way Lusea had asked for his name. Though he was careful to have a warm smile and not a mocking one; it would not do to be teasing someone too hard upon the first meeting.

Having a resistance to the cold ground was indeed an advantage. He almost reached over to help Lusea dig her hole, but she managed with her shallow one; whether the flower would survive he was unsure, but he didn't know if that actually mattered - was this all just something symbolic to show the Gods they actually cared for the sick, or would the flowers themselves actually contribute to the cure?

Amun explained what being an Ascended meant. Rising from the ground, Bastien nodded and added: "Though my kinsman here sells the experience short. There are good things about it as well." While he did not often get involved in The Voice's plans, he figured the least he could do for his race was a bit of decent PR.

Lusea Kotze
Messenger

Change author:
LUSEA
"You think? Were you hoping to be someone else?" I have no issues with dishing out teasing, and the smile I give him is easy and bright. Though perhaps there is some appeal in the idea of waking up somewhere new as someone entirely different, without any of the weight of the past. Without the memories, without the places, without the people...

Ah, well. Cest la vie.

Amun is nice enough to help a girl out, and I appreciate the gesture, especially as the cold seems to hold no effect upon him. Still weird- and what does Ascended mean? Tilting my head to the side, I furrow my nose at the attractive men. "Don't feel anything? You all seem chipper enough to me." No pain? No sorrow? And not fucking cold? Ideas I can get behind, especially if there are benefits as well.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Well, this was all well and good, but they’d planted their Roses and Amun was losing interest in the conversation. Yes, yes, the wordplay was fun and all, but it was hardly the most thrilling of discussions. ”Who isn’t secretly hoping to be someone else?” The potter knew he was. Indeed, he wasn’t sure he wanted this form that had been thrust upon him. Oh sure, there were nice parts to all this, but his old life, what he used to be, well, that had been perfection.

There were good parts to it, as he'd said, sure, the other man was right about that much, but there was just as much bad. ”Well, thanks darling. But yeah, no physical pain, no physical pleasure. Plus we apparently burst into flames if we stay out in the sun for too long. However, as my handsome friend said, there are perks. We won’t die unless something kills us, and can move incredibly quickly at night.” If Lusea wanted the whole story, though, the potter would be more than happy to oblige; he gave her a wicked grin, exposing his fangs. ”And if we drink someone’s blood, we gain access to their abilities, plus it’s incredibly pleasurable for all parties involved.” He winked at her to let her know exactly what he meant by that.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
"Oh, my dear, no. Look at me. I have never wished to be anyone except myself." Bastien insisted, the words all the more pretentious because they were clearly true. Bastien did not carry himself like a man with low self esteem; he was all elegant gestures and slow steps that said I can take my time, because they will be glad to have me whenever I choose to arrive.

He was going to jump in and correct Lusea, explained that emotionally he felt rather a lot, but Amun seemed to have the question handled. For an apparent newcomer, he was definitely informed. Impressive, considering Bastien's own bumbling start in Caido.

"But let's not sound like over-eager missionaries, my friend." He said to Amun, fixing him with a tight smile. He had learnt the hard way that unbridled enthusiasm about religious matters could very quickly put people off. "Tell me about yourself, Miss..Lusea, you said? You are new here too, like Amun? We seem to have had quite the influx of new arrivals recently - I have been here over a year, though I was once like you too."