line without a hook
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Bastien, for all that he is quite a curiosity to the Valkyrie, is not so important as to keep her from her task. He understands well enough, and though they both are drawn to the same place, they do not travel together. A blessing, for she is already tiring of the weird social aspect of this little quest. But she makes it to the Spire unharmed and with her remaining two roses safely in hand. It is an ugly little patch of land, burn out and ruined, but it carries good memories for the beautiful woman. A homecoming, a reunion, a balm to her soul.

The soot clings to her legs as she walks through it, not traveling far into its territory before she spots other roses and deems her spot good enough. Kneeling, she grabs the sharp rock she had found while traveling and pierces the winter-hardened soil. It's easier work with a makeshift tool, but her arms and hands are blackened nonetheless. The rose is easier to navigate into the hole this time, and she gently covers the roots with the sickly-looking soil.

Normally she would doubt the efficacy of the planting spot, but well. It's magical. What other reason does she need to believe in its successful growth?
the horror you have seen is not who you are
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Love mends even the broken parts
Loren didn’t know why he’d come out to the Spire. Maybe it was to check on the Roses; although the blight seemed to be fading, the blighted still had relapses, and they couldn’t be too careful. Or perhaps it had something to do with the fact that it was out of the way, and people avoided it (despite the pretty flowers) because of all the bad experiences they had there.

It could simply be the fact that it was where this whole crazy adventure in Caido had started for him. Sometimes, it felt like he’d never really made it beyond the desolate tower: whereas everyone else seemed to know exactly who they were and what they wanted from life, he was aimless and friendless. Oh sure, he had a bunch of house guests and children to take care of. But they were hardly people he wanted to share his life with.

He’d had that, and he’d squandered it, and there was nothing to be done about that but forge ahead.

Astra accompanied him, though she kept making anxious bleats, sensing the dark turn his thoughts had taken of late. He tried to muster up the energy to comfort her, but seeing as he couldn’t find it in himself to forgive all his mistakes, he couldn’t exactly give her the affection she deserved. Yet another failure to be laid at his feet. At least she hadn’t left him, as so many others had.

Thankfully, a figure in the distance soon resolved itself into a small woman, one who looked vaguely familiar. It took Loren a moment to place her, but eventually he realized he recognized her from repairing the Spark Bird’s perch. Unfortunately, they hadn’t gotten to properly introduced themselves (something she’d called him out for). Of all his transgressions, it was one of the more minor ones.

Still, at least this was something he could actually make amends for. ”Need any help with that?” She seemed to have things well in hand, but he should at least offer. Bundled up as he was against the cold, it took a moment to retrieve his gloved hand from his tightly wrapped cloak he extended it out to her. ”I apologize that my posturing prevented us from meeting properly earlier. I’m Loren.” Without exactly realizing it—because he was tired, and reverting back to old, bad habits—he was speaking more like a duke than he had in a long time, because the familiarity was nice. Weirdly enough, the luxere hid behind the summoner; she usually loved meeting strangers, but the Launceleyn put it out of his mind for now.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
It's busy work more than anything else. She had never been one to tend to the gardens in her empire. Learned the art of poisons and toxins before healing ever crossed her young, impressionable mind. Raised by the equivalent of bandits, those who walked the moral line and lived in the grey areas between, she had been born in a forest with no safety net, no ruler. Perhaps that would have been her fate, once. A roaming wild child, one whose morals and personality were not shaped by killers, thieves, manipulators.

Ah, but where was the fun in that?

It had not always brought joy and peace into her life. Love had been a distant thought for many years, and when it came it wielded knives which which to tear her heart to shreds. She had fought for it over time, and then lost it all in one fell swoop. Torn away violently in reminder that she should never want for more.

Sighing, she gazes upon the brilliant red of the flower, wanting to touch it but unwilling to taint it with her blackened fingers. Scoffs a laugh at that because it's far too fitting.

Hotaru's mini pity party clearly needs a guest, because misery loves company. His approach is not overlooked, but she takes her time fully covering the rose's roots before she turns and rises, wiping her dirtied hands on the outer layer she wears over her dress for such things. Turns and smiles at him, regal but sincere. "Thank you, but I think from here it's up to whatever god organized this." She'd planted it as well as she was able, as well as she knew how to for a plant that was not deadly, but they all worked relatively the same.

His hand is offered, glove removed, and she delicately places her hand in his. Their last interaction hadn't been much of one at all, and though she had been perfectly content at Deimos' side, she was remiss in not finding out more about him while the opportunity had presented itself. Something about the way he speaks and acts reminds her of royalty, and the long-reigning queen inside of her turns her head and rises to meet it. "No apologies necessary, Loren. I've known Deimos for years, posturing comes with the territory," she laughs softly, find but still teasing the man even when he's not there. Hotaru shakes his hand and gives a slight dip of her head in acknowledgement, and lifts a hand to brush her golden hair back to better view the tall man.

"My name is Hotaru, it's a pleasure to meet you officially. What brings you here?" The lilt of curiosity to her tone is sincere, bi-colored eyes flickering over Loren and spotting no obvious roses. Was he simply traveling?
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
He didn’t quite know what to make of this woman with the eyes of two colors. Though she was much shorter than him, she held herself with the bearing of someone much taller. Or maybe it was just her almost regal posture. Whoever she was, she was certainly self-possessed.

What she was not, however, was knowledgeable about this world. Or at least not about the Roses. ”Vi and Rae. The gods of life.” His response was automatic, funny though it was that he, of all people, was instructing someone on the gods of Caido. ”Well I don’t think they’ll have too much more work to do, considering how well you planted it.” He wasn’t just saying that to be kind; as a former farmer, he knew a little bit about plants, and the woman’s efforts would be more than sufficient. It helped that the flowers were surprisingly hardy. Well, maybe not that surprisingly, given their ability to bloom in the snow.

Still, her ignorance surprised him. "Forgive me for asking, but are you new to Caido?" She didn't have the confused look of a recent arrival, but there were other, more subtler signs, and given how often he'd met the newcomers, he was getting good at spotting them.

Although she placed her hand delicately in his, he gave her a firm shake, letting go of the ducal grace just a little bit. It had been a long time since he needed it and he definitely wasn’t a noble anymore. Besides, it was freezing, and he wanted to put his glove back on. Just because he could probably heal frostbite—not that he’d ever tried—didn’t mean he wanted to. ”Well, I only met him recently, though I hope you won’t mind me saying that I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.” Most of their conversation in the woods (if the gruff and short sentences the general had been using even constituted a conversation) had been spent sizing each other up. And even then, the summoner didn’t know pretty much anything about Deimos.

Well here was a chance to find out more. ”Was he always so taciturn?” Amalia had indicated the general used his words sparingly, but Loren wanted to know if that was a recent development or not. It didn’t really matter, but maybe if the other man had been chatty in the past he might be willing to open up to the summoner if the two ever actually got to know one another. Granted, the summoner’s track record on getting close to people was pretty crappy, so that was incredibly unlikely to happen.

There’d been nothing more than curiosity in her voice, so he figured he could give her a straight answer, if not the full truth. Given that he didn’t really want to admit he’d been wallowing, he gave her the more socially acceptable response instead. ”It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Hotaru. And I came to check on the Roses.” Though the blight was cured, the blighted were not all completely better. And sometimes they still got worse.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
The subtle tension that dances along her spine melts a little as he offhandedly corrects her. He certainly isn't one of the Blighted at least, and he seems kindly enough. Not that Hotaru minded those of the darker persuasions, but it made her stress ease away beneath the ebb and flow of his words. She soaks in the knowledge he offers and hums slightly, not wanting him to think she was ignoring or rebuffing him for his correction. Instead, she smiles and glances back to the rose she has planted, fond memories, old memories, stirring in her mind. "I would take the compliment, but my aunt deserves the praise. She was a master of poisons and herbs, she'd have my hands if I couldn't plant a rose correctly," she laughs, unashamed to give such personal information. Her aunt had died long before her previous home realm had. It was better to celebrate her memory than mourn her loss, even with her darkened spirit this evening.

"Yes, I've not been here long. Luckily I know many of the people here, who have studied me up so to speak." He need not know who, beyond Deimos at least. There were certain things better left unsaid, either to protect those whose names she does not let sit on her tongue or to fool others into assuming she is more powerful than she is. Though that's certainly not an exaggeration. Helpless though she is now, stripped of her magic and power, connections had always been her dealing currency.

Hotaru returns the firmness of his grip once she registers it, a pleased, vixen smile on her lips. Part of her insists upon flirting, but he is far too regal to fall for such basic manipulations. A pity, it was one of her favored forms of information gathering. Though her own hands are cold, she is a northern-born dame, and they do not bother her just yet. Her own gloves remain on their string draped over her shoulders, a gift from Rexanna when she had first arrived. Though she can't conceal her bright laughter at Loren's commentary on Deimos, always ready to engage in mockery of her beloved brother.

"Oh, dear. He likely came from the womb grunting in reply to his given name, if that's an explanation of his character." Words had always been her domain, not her King's. It had worked well for them, one of the reasons they had been such effective rulers of their kingdom together. There were many positive things Hotaru could say about Deimos; that his words were carefully measured, that they held a weight no other could compare to, that his silence was only a shield to conceal the deep abiding love he held for the few in his esteemed regard. But those were far more intimate pieces of knowledge. None that she would part with willingly, nor threaten Deimos with the spreading of such things.

It's easy enough for Loren to turn their conversation away from the Sword, and she turns to gaze out over the dotted spots of red in the distance where others have planted their flowers. "For how delicate they seem to be, they are quite hardy. I'm sure that's the magic involved, but I can't help but worry nonetheless." Hotaru would not have cared enough to take action - damn the world and all its strangers was more her style recently - but Kiada falling to the Blight's hand had driven her to the Shrine and Vi's guidance. Anything to heal her. Anything.
the Firebrand

Change author:
At least Hotaru took the knowledge he was offering without getting offended. A lot of people thought an Outlander had no right teaching anyone about this place. And most of the time, Loren thought they were right: his ignorance had gotten him in trouble more times than he could count and definitely more than he cared to admit. So he’d stick to the stuff he actually knew and not make any claims he wasn’t absolutely sure of. Thankfully, she didn’t ask any follow up questions, so the summoner didn’t have to admit how little he knew of the gods, even now. ”Well, you were obviously a good student as well.” The compliment rolled easily off his tongue.

Smiling slightly at her comment (though it didn’t reach his eyes) he nodded. ”Then I will spare you another spiel. Still, if you have any questions, let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them.” However, her comment about knowing people here gave him pause; he tried to think who Deimos knew and was close to in the Hollowed Grounds, and came up with Amalia, and even then the Launceleyn wasn’t sure about that. Still, he was pretty sure Hotaru wasn’t from Northaven. ”Oh, really? Where are you from, then?” It had to be a world that a lot of Outlanders had come from, but he couldn’t think of one off the top of his head besides his own.

Luckily, she seemed amused at his characterization of the general; the corners of the summoner’s mouth quirked up in response to her laughter. However, it seemed their discussion of Deimos was over for now, as they spoke about the Roses. Loren hesitated, giving Hotaru an appraising look. As with other similar encounters, he never knew whether to tell others about the blight, but given they usually reacted poorly when he didn’t, he figured it would be best to give her all the pertinent information. ”I think the worst of it had passed, but there’s been an...illness, going around. A blight. It changes people, and the flowers are the cure. Which is working, thank the gods. Most of the people with the blight are on the mend, but sometimes they have a relapse. And when that happens they have this overwhelming urge to destroy the blooms. So, I come out here every once in a while to check on the Roses.” If she hadn’t heard of the blight, no doubt she’d have lots of questions, and if she did, well, better safe than sorry.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
"Flatterer," she purrs playfully, sending him a coy qink that emphasizes how frivolously she is taking this encounter. It is amusing to flirt with the citizens of this land. They are far more accepting of her antics, even reciprocating at times without ever feeling as though they are committing to something serious. Loren is handsome enough, though he's certainly not her type. Lacking a few of the essential curves that generally drew Hotaru's eye. His compliment still strokes her ego, appealing to the vanity and narcissism her mother had lovingly gifted her with. Though she could never compare to her mother's beauty, manipulation, or ostentation, she likes to think that perhaps she can follow in her steps nonetheless.

The man is far too kind to be playing in her claws, but he doesn't seem quite as defenseless as he portrays either, not with his sharp eye and rapid deductions. "You shouldn't offer your time and services so lightly, Loren. You'll never know who will take you up on them to their full extent." The wicked gleam of teasing is softened only by the small, sincere smile she aims his way. Hotaru does appreciate it in her own way, though it's more of an appreciation for the well of information he can be to her. At least she won't have to crack him open like a weak acorn between her ravenous teeth to get to those delicious little morsels of knowledge he hides inside. If she deigns to ask him anything that she would not feel utterly comfortable asking Rexanna or Deimos. Which is unlikely.

Ah, but he is just as curious and inquisitive as she. Normally Hotaru would barter for such a release of information, but the name of a dead land scoured and left to ruin doesn't matter to her anymore. It is an old scar, one that has infected her far beneath the skin, but he cannot make it any larger. "Helovia," she says simply in the face of that knowledge. Giving him the equivalent of a blade of grass instead of a dagger that he can place beneath her chin. Ah, Hotaru. Always looking for the worst in people.

Loren fortunately - or perhaps unfortunately, for the woman who thrives on chaos - does not deliver. He expresses concern for the state of the roses, explaining the Blight in looser terms than the ones she had been given regarding Kiada. Humming contemplatively, she turns to gaze out on the pricks of red on the landscape as well. "My niece contracted it," she murmurs. "That is the only reason I do this. I have been burned and betrayed by many Gods in my life, and these ones are too foreign to me for my loyalty. But I would do anything for her, even if that means getting my hands dirty in the boring way." Not that Hotaru would have had any qualms about dirtying her hands with blood either, not if it saved Kiada, but if the forces of this realm bid her to plant flowers well...it's not the most invigorating activity, but she'll do it.
the Firebrand

Change author:
At Hotaru’s response to his compliment, Loren grew a bit flustered and withdrawn. He definitely wasn’t used to people flirting with him, so at her comment he just gave her a blank and slightly hooded stare. It was too soon for him to even consider flirting back—he’d just gone through the emotional wringer when it came to relationships—and even if he was in a place where he could think about being with someone else, it wouldn’t have been a stranger. He’d never really been into casual flings. Instead, he found one person and fell madly head over heels in love with them.

That was why it hurt so much when he inevitably ruined it.

”I appreciate your concern, but I think I’ll survive answering a few questions.” His voice came out in a wry drawl, though his eyes were wary; there was something about this woman’s demeanor that put his hackles up. Perhaps it was because he felt a little bit like a mouse being played with by a cat. Well, if she tried to take advantage of his kindness or underestimated him, he’d be more than happy to show her the error of her ways. After all, the torture his family had put him through had been mental as well as magical, so he was wise to the ways of emotional manipulation.

Although he didn’t recognize the name of the world Hotaru hailed from, that wasn’t surprising. There were many Outlanders in the Hollowed Grounds; while many came from Northaven and Northwind, others came from places the Launceleyn couldn’t even begin to imagine. However that didn’t deter him from asking follow-up questions. ”What’s Helovia like, if you don’t mind me asking. And besides Deimos, are there others from your world that made their way into Caido?” From her comment about knowing the general for years, the summoner put two and two together, though it had made him realize how little he knew about the other man, given how taciturn Deimos was. Presumably the Launceleyn should rectify that, so he added it to his seemingly endless to do list.

Once again, the summoner underestimated how quickly news spread through the Hollowed Grounds, even among the new arrivals Granted, he’d told many of them himself, but it didn’t stop him from being surprised that Hotaru was already well aware of the blight. ”I’m so sorry to hear that. Who is your niece?” He decided not to comment on the dirty hands. However, he did resolve to keep a close eye on this woman in the future. If she chose to make trouble for anyone in the Hollowed Grounds, well, he was in theory a part of the militia. And he had a lot of pent up frustration to work out.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
The man shutters before her, slamming down on all his outward tells and emotions, and Hotaru merely raises a brow. Oooookay then. Clearly she had misstepped somehow, though she's unsure where. Was he that sensitive to a bit of harmless flirtation? Perhaps he was one of those insanely faithful gents who thought every compliment thrown their way was a threat to their honor and loyalty to their partner. Hotaru had certainly met a lot of those in Helovia. Either way, she doesn't press nor continue her teasing, content to leave him be to his thoughts and bypass whatever tangle he had run into.

"I'll keep that in mind," she drawls instead, letting his suspicion, his stoicism - whatever it is that's up his ass because she can't really assume - roll off her back like water off a duck's. Hotaru doesn't mind being snubbed or rebuffed, there are plenty others to play with in this realm. Even more who understand her ways and can see past the veneer of vanity and mischief to the woman beneath.

His questions sharpen her gaze and kill her smile, though she conceals it with a soft exhale and a hand carding through her hair. Suspicion of her own coils in her breast. Why does he want to know? At the same time however, Helovia is dead and gone. Razed to the ground. If he even knew a way to get there, or cared to, he'd find a graveyard. But asking who else? She doesn't like that. Names have power, and so do connections. She'll not reveal them so readily to this stranger.

"Helovia was an entire continent, far larger than what I've seen here. With four kingdoms and ruling pairs, with dangerous wilds and mischievous but benevolent gods. There were many wars, invasions, murders. Staying in a kingdom was preferable to dying in the wilds, and there was much competition for the resources of those lands. But it is laid to waste now. Nothing more than a crumbling, feral world I would assume." It's said simply, almost carelessly, because to dwell on her emotions regarding her homeland only invites trouble. Instead she smiles softly and shrugs a shoulder lightly. "I couldn't say, I only know two others of my family who were in Helovia with me, but they traveled to other places before here just as I did." Hotaru certainly won't reveal any names, and if he presses, she will ask him why exactly he wants to stick his nose in such business. She has so little left in life, much less in this world. No matter the scope of her paranoia, she will protect it to her dying breath.

Ah, but press he does. Smiling vaguely at him, she curls her coat tighter around her. "You'll forgive me for not saying. I'm sure you're quite a fine fellow, but she is close to all I have left, and I'd not make her a target for her sickness." It's blunt and immovable, gaze like tempered glass and smile only perfunctory. She may be sick and not herself, but Hotaru would keep her concealed and safe as long as she could.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Apparently they were dancing around one another. Loren sighed. Maybe Hotaru’s accusation of him as posturing was more right than he cared to admit. ”Sorry. It’s been a long season.” And they hadn’t even it made it to LongNight, which was supposed to be the hardest part of it. Given how much it had already sucked the summoner didn’t even want to begin to imagine how much worse it was going to get. ”And I’ve been having a rough time of things. But that’s no excuse. You’re new, and I should be doing my best to welcome you.” Although his posture and expression didn’t change, there might have been an almost imperceptible softening around the edges. He was tired, both from dealing with people and his life.

However, he shouldn’t take that out on a stranger.

She explained her old world, but nothing about it sounded familiar to him. That didn’t mean there weren’t others, it just meant he wouldn’t be able to figure it out from the broad strokes she’d given him. ”I’m sorry.” The sorrow and sympathy would hopefully be apparent. They’d all lost a lot, that much was true, but from her words it seemed she’d lost more than most.

As Hotaru then straight up refused to reveal information to him, he sighed again. ”I have no intention of harming you and yours. I’m trying to help, actually. The blighted need to be healed, and as it stands they are a danger to themselves more than anything else.” He firmly believed that, though he obviously couldn’t convince Hotaru of anything she didn’t want to hear.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
His apology softens the cold, frigid lines of her smile, if only a little. Hotaru is older, more forgiving, than she had once been. If he is aware of his own grandiosity and posturing, she will allow him to gracefully recover from it. "No need for apologies. It's understandable for all of us to be on edge in our own way." Just as her sharp tongue and dancing manipulations were her way of shielding herself and her family, his terseness and thirst for information were his. Different sides, same coin. "I'm sorry to hear you've been troubled," she says softly, if only because he has not proven himself a threat and in that way is deserving of her sympathy. "But I assure you, there's no pressure to make me feel welcomed. I have quite a way of insinuating myself stubbornly into whatever place I find myself in." A self-deprecating, but amused look is aimed his way at that. He likely could tell just from speaking to her a few short moments after all.

His apology is met with a tight, but appreciative nod. Her throat works at a hard swallow, and she turns her gaze away from him. "Thank you," she says stiffly, though no less grateful for his condolences. Retaining her regality, her composure, is something she has practiced for many years. The memories of her lost children, her murdered friends and family, will not break her visage so easily. It is almost a sad thing.

Though he assures firmly that he is of no threat, Hotaru still keeps her gaze upon him, silent and judgmental for a few long moments. "Words are merely sounds, not vows," she points out quietly. But she knows Kiada is safe with Amalia and Deimos, that the pair will stop this interloper if he decides to cause trouble. And Rexanna? She is more than capable of taking care of herself, especially with Bastien at her side. So she relents, reluctant but in need of whatever Loren can tell her about a cure. "Her name is Kiada. My niece, that is. And my sister Rexanna. All are from Helovia. Are you aware of any kind of cure or respite aside from these roses?" Because that is what matters to her more.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Hotaru accepted his apology and he waved away hers. ”No need to apologize to me. I’ll get over it.” He would, or he’d sublimate all the dark feelings until he was an empty shell again; one way or another, he’d get past this and become a functional human being again, albeit not necessarily a fun one to be around. As she mentioned that he didn’t need to welcome her, he nodded. ”Glad to hear it.” His voice maybe came out a little wistful. Obviously he didn’t have the same talent as she did for making himself at home wherever he went. Instead, he felt homeless even in his own home.

At least his apologies were working. He still had that particularly skill (it probably had a little something to do with how he was constantly saying sorry for his many, many mistakes). However, it seemed that Hotaru was still a little wary of him. When she brought up two familiar names, though, the Launceleyn gave her an understanding look. ”I’ve met Kiada. And Auni. How is she doing?” His tone was nothing but concerned. Despite how he usually came across—and despite how often he shrank away from the world—he really was praying and hoping that the blighted would make a whole recovery.

When the Ascended’s name came up, the summoner actually smiled, although it was incredibly fleeting. ”Rexanna is a friend of mine. Though she never mentioned she had a sister.” Then again, their friendship was a new thing, and he still felt awkward and uncertain about it, given how most of his relationships ended in disaster. And it wasn’t like the blue-eyed woman knew about his massively numbered, all deceased siblings. At Hotaru’s last question, however, he shook his head sadly. ”Unfortunately, no. And believe me, I’m the last person who wants to trust in the benevolence of the gods. But I’m hopeful this will work.” Even in the darkness of his soul, embers of that hope still flickered. Stubborn, stupid little things wouldn’t let him give up. However, then his mind supplied a memory of an incredibly awkward encounter between Bastien and Kiada, which is how Loren had met her to begin with. "Right, Kiada is Rexanna's daughter. Which makes Bastien your...brother-in-law?" The Launceleyns were still had the most complicated and convoluted family tree, but Hotaru and Rexanna's family might be a close second.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
A wry grin, bitter-tinged and empathetic, is a quiet preface to her response. "We don't have any other option than to move forward." Lingering on hurt feelings was a useless pastime, and though she felt badly for the man and his self-proclaimed troubles, there was never any place to go but up. Struggling, scraping, clawing upward at times, but upward nonetheless. Hotaru doesn't deign to respond to his following comment, merely nodding her head subtly at the implied compliment. Hotaru was not one to be self-conscious or to doubt why she was somewhere. It was merely a waste of energy when she could work on establishing herself immediately. But her friends, her children, her followers had not always been so bold. In this way she understands him, and though she does not go so far as to pity him - an insult she'd never bear herself in his shoes - a part of her softens in sympathy.

Despite the fact that he knows Rexanna and her companion, she holds tight to her stance that words are merely sounds, and in no way endear him to her. The safety of her family is more important to the woman than how paranoid she may come off to Loren. But she concedes partially, if only because she is curious, and because he deigns to call her sister a friend. "She's doing very well. I've never seen her happier than with her husband, and it gives her an enviable strength." It is spoken with warmth and affection, eyes a tad distant as she recalls Rexanna's radiant joy and how comfortable and solid she was in this land. It was a gift, to see her sister so much happier here than in their homeland. "I don't doubt it's because we lost many people in the portals. Sometimes it's easier not to speak the names of those we don't expect to ever have returned to us." Hotaru is not offended that her name had never slipped off Rexanna's tongue. It is easier to mourn when you don't have to explain the past you had with the dead to someone who will never know them as you did.

They were not so clearly related as to explain that their bond was more affection than blood, but the woman assumes he is smart enough to not comment on it. As if blood has ever mattered to her.

A huff of laughter escapes her and she turns her gaze to Loren, amused. "You and me both. We can start a club: Deity Doubters." Once upon a time she had been a faithful servant to her Goddess. For the entirety of her life, actually. But her Goddess was dead and gone, giving her life to ensure they all made it safely out of their crumbling home world. And with her, Hotaru's faith had died as well. As if it needed any help, considering that same Goddess had also killed her parents.

Semantics.

"Yes, and newly made at that," she says with a bright smile. "Don't worry, the ties get easier the more you hang around our little ragtag group." Here she winks and grins, well aware that her family is quite the convoluted mess. But she wouldn't have it any other way. "And you? Can't leave me all alone out here answering your questions," Hotaru teases. "Do you have any interesting family ties?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
Hotaru was definitely wrong about not having other options: they could always dwell on the past, or wallow in grief and guilt, or remove themselves from the world and essentially stand still. Granted, those were bad options, but options all the same, and ones Loren had partaken in more than once. Now, it finally seemed like he was moving forward, though, and it turns out his future was bleak and lonely. Well, he deserved it. ”Guess not.” His voice was soft and weary.

As the woman spoke about Rexanna, though, the summoner relaxed imperceptibly. ”Yeah. They’re a good pair. Were you at the wedding?” He didn’t remember seeing her there, but he’d been a little busy not being noticed; granted, if Hotaru hadn’t been in Caido by then, that might’ve been why. Given how tight-lipped she seemed to be, he figured he might not find out. As she spoke about losing people to the portals, however, the Launceleyn looked away. ”I know what that’s like.” Astra. Sulis. Neron. None of them had come to Caido, and he’d given up hope of seeing any of them ever again. And with Edy’s death and Zariah’s disappearance, what remained of his family felt far too small and he felt far too lonely among them.

At her joke, he simply shrugged. Oh sure, it was funny—and he would always appreciate a bit of wordplay—but he wasn’t in a joking mood these days. ”It’ll have to be a secret club, given that most of them supposedly hate me. But I’ll join.” It wasn’t like he didn’t have good reason to doubt them. As Hotaru spoke about getting to know the ties that bound her family together, Loren hesitated. He wasn’t exactly beloved in the Hollowed Grounds, and he wasn’t sure if hanging out with Rexanna, Hotaru, Bastien, Deimos, or Kiada would bring them anything but the grief the summoner always brought in his wake.

And his dark mood worsened when Hotaru asked about his family. ”You could say that. The Launceleyns were bad news for a while. Probably still are. But most of us are dead, or gone, and the rest of us are mostly harmless. Well, to everyone but ourselves.” He didn’t really want to get into the whole ‘my cousin turned into a lunatic and a tyrant and then disappeared and my other cousin was a sex addict who died to a landshark’ story. It would just upset him further, not that he thought such a thing was possible.
loren

Coding base by Sky!