A whole new world [OPEN]
Sculptor/Blacksmith

Age: 27 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Cuphead Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
She was running late. The sun was about to set, and soon there was going to be no more daylight left. Hours spent in the workshop had gone by in the blink of an eye, and as soon as Tanek, her best friend and partner came in to remind her about the imminent nightfall, a brief moment of realisation dawned on her face before she dashed out of the workshop with a wrapped bundle in her arms, leaving her tools and work exactly where they were. Tanek dashed after all, doing his best to keep up with one of his first friends. The tools could afford to be left where they were.

Her client, a wealthy noble could not afford to be left waiting for her once again. She knew that if her late occurrences continued in their meetings, this privileged job of hers could be jeopardised, and what was she to do then? The thought of that made her grimace and she picked up speed, all sense of grace forgotten to the dismay of Tanek who struggled to keep up with her. She was almost there, confident that today would not be one of those days she would be late. In her haste to run through the city streets, and into the compound of the wealthy noble, some of the less attentive guards moved to block her path, but a sharp bark of words announcing her purpose made them stand aside, knowing well that everyone had to pay when their master’s wrath was incurred. Her client’s chambers lay just a few footsteps ahead, the torches already lit to chase the darkness away.

The moment she stepped through the doorway, expecting her feet to come in contact with the ground, it was instead met with emptiness. She was falling, but why? She did not have time to figure out what in Amun’s name was going on before she felt the impact of the fall as both her face and body came into hard contact with the ground. The sight that greeted her when she lifted her face from the ground left her mouth agape. Surrounding her was a strange landscape she had never seen in her life. This was not Egypt. Not even the endless sea of sand that surrounded Egypt looked like this. “Tanek!” She shouted for her friend and partner. He had been just behind her. “Tanek! Where are you?”

Her friend was nowhere to be found. She was alone.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Evie
tell me all of the things
that make you feel at ease
Evie has never been the sort to welcome newcomers to Caido. Not for any lack of kindness on her part, as the woman is quite adept at dealing with high tempers and turbulent emotions as a healer. Still, as a natural-born citizen, it is nerve-wracking to be near the Spire which had once housed demons and imprisoned goddesses. All her life she has avoided the crumbling structure. It was the equivalent of a bedtime story. Don't venture around the Spire's shadow, or the demon will drag you under and sacrifice you to what lays within.

Not that any of them could have possibly known that what had been trapped within was the Voice.

Even so, Evie is no longer a child. A full-grown woman in her own right, she cannot let such baseless fears rule her life. Not when she has witnessed so much in her time since the Outlanders began trickling in. Finding a home in the land she had been born in. So here she finds herself, wandering through the woods with her satchel at her side, vials clinking merrily as she goes about harvesting the early-winter flora before the long weeks of cold kill them out. They only sprout so often, and Evie doesn't have a greenhouse to grow them year-round which makes harvesting an even more dire task.

Well, she doesn't have a greenhouse yet. Someday perhaps.

She's halfway to the Glade when she hears shouting, copper hair flying as she swiftly jerks her head to and fro to try and determine the source. The words - the name - don't mean anything to her, but the panic and need for help grips at the healer's heart in her chest and she sets off running before she can even stop and think. Her bag thumps against her hip as she runs, feet kicking up ash and snow alike. Whoever it is - a girl, she assumes from the voice - isn't very far from where Evie has been traveling, and she happens upon her almost by accident.

Breathing a little heavily, Evie presents her hands palm-out, approaching slowly now that she has her eyes on the young woman. "It's okay, it's okay, I'm here. Can you tell me your name?" Simple questions that require simple answers less than five syllables, as Amalia's mother had taught her. It would ease her panic naturally, ground her with familiar responses, and hopefully give time for Evie to try and explain the terrible process of portals. And the revelation that the young girl had suddenly lost her home, her past, her loved ones. "My name is Evie, I'm an apothecarist. I live not far from here. Are you injured?" She hadn't lifted herself from the ground yet, and that was worrying enough.
Sculptor/Blacksmith

Age: 27 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
She heard the sound of footsteps, and as the figure emerged, Senu discovered that it was the familiar sight of Tanek as she had been expecting. It was instead a woman with hair a brilliant shade of copper. The woman’s blue eyes seemed to sparkle in the light, and her calming voice made a good headstart in trying to calm her frayed nerves. The other woman mentioned that she was here, as though she had been summoned to his place, and then realisation dawned on her that perhaps her calls for Tanek might have attracted her to this location.

Senu was asked for her name, and she was hesitant to provide it right away. She didn’t know who this woman was, and why she needed it. The red-headed woman then provided her own name, Evie before continuing on to mention that she was an apocatherist. She didn’t know what that was, and where this place even is. She was then asked if she was injured. The young woman looked around at her body for any sign of hurt, and discovered there to be none, other than the lingering aches of the fall that had came out of nowhere. Hesitantly, she provided her name.

“I’m Senu. Have you seen my friend Tanek anywhere? He was just behind me just a moment ago. What is this place? I am late for my meeting.” Senu then remembered the question about her injuries and added. “I fell, but I am not injured, no, but confused and lost. One moment I was in Egypt, and then I am not. How did I fall? Am I dead? Is this the afterlife?”
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Evie
The girl seems confused, and rightfully wary. Evie waits for her to make some sort of decision - to run off screaming perhaps, or just answer her question. Both seem like rather appropriate responses for the situation at hand, if Evie was in her shoes. Not that she has much experience with this, but she can't just...sit by and ignore the fact that this poor girl has suddenly had her life turned upside down.

Something in her expression, her tone, or her words must convince the beautiful teenager that she's safe. Or at least capable of being trusted temporarily. And lo and behold, Evie has a name. And also an entire slew of information and rambling that pierces through her heart and infects it with a slow, agonizing poison. How do people do it? How do people intentionally visit the Spire to check for these lost souls without going home every night and crying at the unfairness of it all? It's Evie's first time and she's already feeling emotional.

"I'm sorry, I haven't seen anyone else around here. I think you came through alone." Which of course raises the question Senu is sure to ask next. Well, not precisely. But she does ask a lot of other questions pertaining to the answer sitting nervously on Evie's tongue. Fussing with her copper hair, fingers flexing nervously around the strands, she tries to fumble through the right course of action in her mind.

"You're not dead, no. You're in...a different place. We call this land Caido. Senu, where you come from, is there anything such as magic?" Maybe that would be an easier starting point than simply saying 'hey you got chucked through a random magic portal, welcome to Caido!'
Sculptor/Blacksmith

Change author:
What remnants of a smile, nervous or otherwise left her visage as the revelation that Tanek did not come with her, wherever this new world seemed to be. There had only been one instance before that she had been separated with her best friend, and that was the first six years of her life before she had met him. Once the two had met, they had became fast friends and were inseparable ever since.

Others often joked that he spent more time with her than his own wife. That was just how things were. They had grown up together, and spent most of their life together, and now for the first time, Senu was alone, with the familiar sight of Tanek’s face and sound of his deep husky voice. She didn’t know what to feel, other than a huge sense of loss. At least she wasn’t dead, yet.

The copper-haired woman mentioned that this strange new land was called Caido and asked if they had magic where she came from. She didn’t exactly know what magic really was, but the Gods and Goddesses often performed miracles that blessed their followers, such as Hapi, the god of the Nile that flooded the river, giving Egypt life as it left the land with black fertile soil when the waters receded. It was a wonder how thriving green oasis could sprout out in the middle of the desert, thanks to the grace of the god Set, the god of deserts. Was this not magic? The girl didn’t know, but it did seem like it to her. The gods performed miracles, and perhaps this was the magic that existed in her world.

“We have priests that perform miracles with the help of the gods and goddesses where I’m from. The river god Hapi floods the river every year, giving the farmers the black fertile soil to grow their crops, and the way for life to sustain itself in the valley. There were plenty of rituals for all sorts of events and spells that was cast to protect others, especially the royal family."

She paused for a brief moment before she continued. "Is that magic? I have not heard this word used before, but somehow.. it feels familiar to me.”
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
Evie feels a little relief as the girl picks herself up from the ground, eyes habitually tracing over her features and exposed skin to ensure she was telling the truth and no wounds were apparent. Despite some lingering snow and the general confusion that came from a trip through a magical portal, there's no apparent breaks, injuries, or blood. A relief at least. The wounds wouldn't have been an issue physically, and in some ways she would prefer those over having to break this sort of news to a teenager.

Luckily there is apparently some sort of magic in Senu's world, gods and goddesses that Evie can build off of. With a relieved smile she moves a little closer, hoping it won't bother her now that she has proven she doesn't intend to hurt her.

"Yes, that sounds like what we call magic. There are Gods and Goddesses here as well. But we also have magic here, and portals that sometimes open to other worlds. Realms. People fall through them frequently and end up here, as you have." Hopefully that wouldn't be too much information too quickly, she was afraid to put the poor girl into shock. "They are...terribly unpredictable, and unfortunately we...haven't found a way to return people to their original realm."

And that was the kicker.
Sculptor/Blacksmith

Change author:
Magic. So, this new world that Senu had somehow found herself in had its own gods and goddesses who could do their own form of magic as well. She wouldn’t be surprised if they have their own priests that acted as their conduit of their powers and performed miracles just like back home in Egypt. The older woman, Evie spoke of portals, these magical things that allowed people like her to come, or fall into her world.

The real kicker lay in wait for her at the end of Evie's string of words. There would be no going back. She was stuck here for good. At least until someone found a way for people to return to the realms they came from.

Senu had never been one to give in to despair, and as she began processing the reality that had been thrusted on her, she realised that since she was stuck here for good, she might just as well start to know more about this world, Caido. “So, what can you tell me about your world, Caido?
What is this place like, how are the people? What should I do now, what’s next?"
The sudden barrage of questions came out of nowhere, and she optimistically hoped that she had not just messed up her chances of figuring out this strange place by scaring away the other woman.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
If Evie is surprised by the teen's conviction, the way she picks herself up and dusts herself off metaphorically until she faces this strange new world with optimism and faith, it's only shown in a brief flicker of her expression before it settles into a smile. A part of her is proud of the girl, almost envious of her ability to get right back up with a smile and a shrug. It certainly makes Evie's job a little easier though, considering this is also her first time dealing with all of this portal-hopping business.

The apothecarist in no way envies the Outlanders for the experience. She doesn't even know what she would do if she was suddenly ripped from Caido and dumped into an entirely different world with different rules.

The barrage of questions only makes her laugh softly, happy to have a direction to take this meeting. "Well, we were trapped in a magical dome of sorts for a long time. One of the races here, called the Ascended, brought it down by freeing their Goddess from the Spire where she was trapped by the other Gods." Here, she points to the looming structure of the Spire not far from them, a blackened testament of their sins. "Now we are exploring the lands beyond where the barrier was. To the north there is a great forest, with a race called the Fae who protect it. They have wings, and are quite small, but fierce and protective of their home. To the east there are terrible storms, so be careful where you adventure if you go out alone." Not that Evie knows what Senu intends to do after this, but best to arm her with the information beforehand.

"The people are generally kind. We have different races, as I mentioned. The Fae are one. The Ascended are cool to the touch, they have different internal organs and don't need to breathe or sleep, but can't go out in sunlight until they are stronger. Abandoned are born with magic to heal, to control elements, to create things. The Gods do not like them however. The Accepted are normal people, but they are beloved by the Gods and can earn their favor more easily." Goodness, this much talking feels like a marathon. How do other people do it? Evie didn't even know how much there as to say about this land until she stopped and thought about it from an outsider's perspective. "Then there are the Attuned, who can turn into various animals, and are beloved by the Old Gods. We all live in relative harmony in the Sanctuary, where people fix up homes to live in."

Gesturing a hand at the world around them she smiles easily. "As for what to do next, the choice is yours! You can adventure around, or I can lead you back to the Sanctuary. I have an extra space in my apothecary if you need a place to sleep for the night or a meal. You can look for a home of your own as well, if you need. And we can figure it out from there?" The fact was, there was no going back for Senu. She would have to pick an entire new course in life. Evie would be happy to help her, but her first course of action would be getting the girl properly clothed and in a safe space for the approaching night.
Sculptor/Blacksmith

Change author:
Her questions were answered! Senu was glad that she had not scared away her new companion already with that barrage of questions. Listening attentively, she processed every little detail of what was being said in response to her questions. She talked about one of Caido’s races, the Ascended removing the dome by freeing a goddess that was held captive in the tall black tower that rose like a sword into the sky. The Spire was nothing like the Great Pyramids back home in Egypt. She had seen them once before when she accompanied her father on a trip across the endless deserts.

The tower was tall but black and ugly, a grotesque sight compared to the shimmering grandeur of the majestic great pyramids of Khufu and Khafre. She didn’t think that she would ever seen anything that would top it, and this Spire wasn’t even a contest. Her thoughts moved on as the Fae was mentioned, little people with wings. What kind of wings did they have? When there was a break in between the woman’s words, Senu would ask her. “What kind of wings does the Fae have? Bird wings or insect wings?”

She nodded in acknowledgement when she was warned about the terrible storms in the east. This was good information to remember. She did not want to risk her life in any storms just yet. The most interesting part came next, about the other races that inhabited Caido. The Ascended were cool people that needed no food or sleep, but could not come into the rays of the sun.

Senu could not imagine living such a life away from the rays of Amun’s blessing. To live in darkness forever was a terrible fate to imagine, and it sent a shiver down her spine as the thought passed her mind. The Abandoned were magic people, and the Attuned could turn into animals. This, she found the most interesting. She loved animals, and if anything, she would like to get to know more about these Attuned. The Accepted were the normal humans of Caido, and she was most likely now one of them, since she didn’t feel any more special than before.

Senu gave her newest companion a warm smile as the other woman offered food and shelter for the night in her apothecary, before she could spend some time to figure out what to do next. Find a more permanent home would definitely be a priority, but for now, she would be more than happy to just take what had just been so graciously been offered to her. "I'd like that. To go back with you to your apothecary."
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
Evie smiles genially at the teenager's eager questions, happy to answer them if it means the girl is better prepared for the world ahead. "Insect wings, long and oval, and they come in many colors." At least that she knew of. She had seen very little of the Fae, secretive and defensive as they were in equal turns. Evie had been happy enough leaving them alone, which is what they seemed to want more than anything. Why anyone bothered bugging them was beyond her, it was their forest after all. Though she felt that way sometimes, being a Natural Caido citizen. Sometimes she felt as if the Outlanders were taking over her home, spitting on the history there. But she tried her hardest to be open minded, to invite them into their land, into her own home.

Senu's agreement brings a bright smile to her face, eager at the idea of not only helping, but perhaps having a temporary roommate. The apothecary was roomy, and had plenty of space for a secondary cot, but it grew lonely in the twilight hours when she was left staring at the wall in the dark and grappling with the reality of her solitude.

"Then we'd best start walking before you freeze to the ground," she laughs, turning and gesturing towards the Sanctuary in a sign of where they needed to begin walking. Readjusting her satchel, she begins treading down the path, confident that Senu will follow alongside her. "So, tell me about yourself, now that I've told you all about this place!" Fair trade, right? Plus she was curious of the other lands beyond her own, doubly curious of the girl at her side, with her beautiful dark skin and optimistic smile. Her bravery was commendable, and again Evie wonders exactly how old she is.
Sculptor/Blacksmith

Change author:
Senu frowned and tried her hardest to imagine tiny people with colourful long oval insect wings on their back. She let out a chuckle as her imagination did its job. That was an amusing sight indeed. She’d never thought that she would ever hear about such a thing, but here she was, with such an interesting type of people that were so small and had wings. Hopefully, she would manage to catch a glimpse of one some day. It wasn’t urgent, no, she had far more pressing issues to attend to, such as going back to shelter before she freezed to death in this icy climate.

Now that the adrenaline was starting to gradually wear off, she realised how cold it was, and she was starting to shiver. Each breath that came out of her mouth had mist in them which was also another amusing sight that caused her to giggle. She had never seen such happening before, and that delighted her. Senu’s smile widened into a charming grin as Evie seemed to be delighted at her answer to join her back at her apothecary. As her newest companion began walking off, leading the way, she followed her, clutching her arms and rubbing her hands to generate some warmth.

It was cold in the early mornings in the winter months back in Egypt before the sun graced themselves with their presence, but this was nothing compared to that. There was plenty of this white stuff everywhere that was cold to the touch and hung on trees and leaves everywhere. She wondered if this was something like the sands of the desert back home in Egypt. She had never left the territories of the Egyptian Empire before and nowhere in the expanse of the entire empire was there such a thing, this icy white stuff.

As she continued walking along, matching Evie’s pace, she asked her. “What is this cold white stuff that is everywhere? We don’t have that where I’m from.” When the other woman mentioned that she wanted to know more about her, she did not hesitate to introduce herself, more properly this time. “I am Senu, daughter of Ramuk and Subia. I learnt the skills of my parents craft and can sculpt in stone, wood and clay. I also know about working with metal, as my father was a metalsmith that worked mainly with bronze and copper. I’ve seen a smith work with iron before, but I did not get to try it for myself as it is such a rare metal that even the royal smiths have to use it so sparingly.”
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
Noticing the girl's pebbled skin and shivering, Evie pulls the drawstring at the front of her throat and takes off her traveler's cloak, taking the chance that Senu will allow her close enough so she can swing it over the girl's shoulders and tie it up for her. Hopefully she won't mind the closeness, and Evie smiles as she ties the strings into a little bow. "That should keep you a little warmer." She had long sleeves on, and would be fine until they made it back to her apothecary.

Once upon a time she would have invited Senu into the Wordsworth manor, but many things had changed in the past few years. Not just her tentative closeness with Sam, but the growing suspicion and fear in the household as her Accepted status remained unproven as time continued to pass. Subjecting Senu to that kind of atmosphere would be a curse, a cruelty that Evie doesn't have the heart to force her into.

"It's called snow!" she explains eagerly, endeared at the idea of Senu seeing it for the first time. "When water gets too cold, it also forms ice, which is clear and slick." Hopefully she wouldn't figure that out by crashing down on her ass any time soon, Evie thinks with an amused smile. But there are introductions to be done, and the woman is certainly very accomplished from what she hears. "Perhaps you'd like to visit the Artist's Guild then! It's a collection of artists, but I believe there are a few sculptors there as well. And we have a blacksmith in town as well." Maybe she could apprentice beneath them, or maybe even start a shop of her own? At least there were ideas for her to ponder. As they walk on, she keeps close to Senu in case she is needed, the trees thinning the further they walk as buildings begin rising in the dusk light. Evie's feet guide her home instinctively, giving her more time and attention to focus on Senu.
Sculptor/Blacksmith

Change author:
Senu did nothing to conceal her surprise when the other woman moved to remove her cloak and place it over her, sheltering her shivering body from the cold.  She gave Evie an appreciative smile, thankful for the kind gesture shown. “Thank you. I have not experienced cold such as this." With Evie’s cloak around her, she was now a lot warmer, and the chilly air was now far more bearable and the shivers gradually subsided. Snow! That was what the white icy stuff was, and she was glad to have learnt a new thing so soon already. She already knew that she would have plenty of new things to tell Tanek about once she actually managed to go back home. Senu’s smile brightened when her new companion told her about the Artisan’s guild, and that they also had a blacksmith in town. That mention of that pleased her greatly.

These were things that this world has in common with her own, and she was overjoyed at the familiarity of going back into doing these she was used to doing. She could perhaps meet with the blacksmith and check if he would be needing any help, or maybe eventually even start up her own practice a good while down the line? For starters, the former would be great, while she got accustomed to Caido.

She would also have to check out this Artisan Guild and meet with the other sculptors to see which she ended up meshing with better. Another alternative would be to split her time between the two? She had several options she could pursue indeed. As they walked, Senu could now see buildings in the distance. The architecture of the buildings certainly looked very different from those in Egypt, with more colours than she was used to. She gestured as she spoke, wondering if they were now close to their destination.

“There are buildings ahead. Are we close to your apothecary?”
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
Evie smiled to see the woman curling closer into the coat, thinking to herself that she should seek out one of the seamstresses or perhaps someone who could transmute Senu's current clothes into warmer ones. She had enough extras at her apothecary to gift to Senu, but she'd need a more diverse winter wardrobe of her own. "You're welcome! We can get you some better clothes after you get some rest," she assures with a smile, mind already thinking ten paces ahead.

The beautiful girl seems stuck in her own head for a bit after Evie tells her of the options around the Sanctuary, not that she minds the quiet. There's certainly a lot to digest in the brief time she has had since landing in Caido and meeting Evie, and the copper haired woman is more than comfortable with silence in the first place. Hard not to be when you were brought up in a house where it as better to walk like a ghost than be hounded after with expectations you could never reach because of the way you were born.

Shaking herself from her dark thoughts, Evie turns her attention back to Senu as they begin walking into the Sanctuary. "Yes, we're close now," she confirms pleasantly, leading the way down the empty streets to her apothecary's darkened doorstep. She steps in and holds the door open for Senu, gesturing her inside before getting to work lighting the oil lamps and candles. The fire is still going, muted and controlled in the back rooms, and she ushers Senu out of the shop area and to the small living area. "It's not as grand or spacious as my family home, but the company is much better," Evie admits with a laugh. "I have some clothes that should fit you, and I can reheat the stew I made for dinner while you change?" going off the assumption that her new guest will agree, she begins pulling thicker leggings and a long-sleeved tunic from her dresser, turning to lay them on the small bed that would be Senu's for the night - or however long she deigned to stay in her small abode.