Training a calm surrender
open!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
REMI
if you're not going to swim deep with me
The snow fell silently and though it was nearly impossible to tell what time of day it was given how overcast and bleary the sky was, having just fed himself and Aoife lunch, Remi judged it was only a bit into the afternoon.

Not that it mattered. Time had ceased to matter. There was only now (before LongNight), and LongNight itself.

Feeling more cagey than he ever had before, the alchemist decided to do something useful with his time. Or if not useful (Remi would likely always be a terrible fighter), at least it would expel some of his energy. Shifting into what was probably his most impressive form (though not for that reason—larger muscles would probably result in larger energy sapped), the manticore paced around the training grounds hoping someone else might feel similarly and appear from the hazy afternoon.

get out of my waters

Coding base by Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
So much to do, so little time.

It was practically his mantra by now; one he shared with most of the population of the barrierlands with Deepfrost upon them and Long Night just around the corner. There were plans to lay, preparations to undertake, buildings to fortify, food to gather..

Apologies to make.

It just so happened that two of the people he needed to see, though for wildly different reasons, made their home in the Monster Hunters Guild, and so that was where he came, winging down out of the snowy sky. Courtesy should have had him aiming for the front door, but as he had circled down from above the unmistakable form of a manticore caught his blue eyes in the backyard, and he angled down to the training ground instead, settling on one of the pells and croaking a tentative greeting to the significantly larger creature whose territory he had just entered.

Remi? He began, more than a little uncertain where things stood at the moment. His memories of his time with the blight were tattered, shredded things, mostly darkness but with flashes of light when he had been pierced by thorns. Remi had been in one of those brief moments of lucidity, at least, but there was no telling what other harm he had done to the alchemist in the blightrage. Is everything alright? A pacing manticore might mean more problems within, or simply an impatient alchemist. He hoped for the latter, but tensed against the former, just in case another emergency was brewing.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Without the mental greeting to accompany the croak, the manticore would have missed the pale bird among the pale snowscape. Instead, turning, Remi fixed Jigano with eyes as clear as they'd ever been. Free of the cracks that had so warped his vision, Remi looked on with a sea-glass stare that was kind, despite the frenzy of frustrated thoughts whirling like so much snow through the bond.

Yes. Well.. The big cat shrugged his tawny shoulders best he could. Preparations for LongNight are not as far along as I would like, but...I am sure that is the same for everyone. He rumbled silently. Especially having been told that the Monster Hunter's guild would serve as a safe house for everyone—not that Remi and Ronin hadn't offered—the alchemist found himself scrambling to complete the preparations necessary, as well as making personal ones of his own.

How are you? I...have not really had the time to check on everyone, what with...all of this. He said apologetically, waving a wing to indicate the guildhall and all the residents inside of it. Sam and Nate and that whole drama. Ronin and the trouble Remi had recently caused with Loren. Phoebe.
until the lambs become lions.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Your eyes! Jigano croaked in happy surprise at the clear stare that greeted him, hopping with unintended comic delight upon his perch. Remi, congratulations! He had thought that Arduinna's curse would remain with the alchemist until a suitable price could be found to buy back his sight...

And perhaps Arduinna's sacrifice had been what freed the young man, however unintentionally. The thought sobered the bird, and Remi's tone did too. Jigano bobbed his head in a nod at the mention of preparations, for they all were doing their best and praying - or at least hoping, in the case of those less pious - that it would be enough. Of course, given that Remi was going to be hosting no few people, Jigano could only imagine how much more stress the alchemist was under.

I am... better, the bird said cautiously tilting his head to the side. There was far less black crawling through the blue of his eyes then there had been, at least, and only the faintest of tremors in his talons. Or at least, getting there. I wanted to talk to you, but time... He trailed off, for Remi had just said what had happened to their time, lost in the frenzy of preparations (and, at least on Jigano's end, reparations). He launched himself from the pell, flying closer to land on a post nearer to the manticore. I... only remember flashes from when the blight was at its worst. Moments, when I was pricked by thorns and given a short time of lucidity. Hours, when Rory said I was lost for weeks... He shook his head, feathers ruffled against the pain and haunted ache of those lost memories. But I remember you were there, at the Spire, with Amalia and Kiada. I... wanted to apologize. I know whatever I did was probably... violent. He had tasted Ianto's blood on his teeth and pinned poor Bastien. He was only glad that he remembered no blood on Amalia's plush fur from that day. I just hope I didn't hurt you, that day or any other. For a keeper of lore, one who had protected his memories no matter how painful at all costs the lost days were a greater nightmare than almost anyone else could imagine.

But Remi could. Jigano knew that, and hoped the alchemist would understand.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

It didn't surprise the alchemist at all that Jigano noticed the clarity of his vision right away, whereas others took much longer. The bard had always been extremely clever and aware of things that most missed or simply took for granted. Thank you. Loren healed me...he tried once before, but it seemed to take this time. Whether because of Arduinna's death or something else, I have no idea.

Perking his ears forward, the manticore curled his articulated tail around his paws and listened silently. Sending a trickle of stalwart understanding, Remi merely nodded. He'd learned from both Phoebe and Ronin, that while it was easy for him to simply brush off everything that had happened as being an effect of the blight, that those blighted needed to make their reparations, in order to move on. So rather than shrugging it all off, the manticore listened to the raven in full.

I understand, and I appreciate the apology. I hope you know I hold none of what happened or what was said against you.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Remi was significantly larger than Jigano at the moment, and so were his eyes. A raven's eyes were also better than a man's - even a bard's eyes - and it brought the clarity of the alchemist's glass-green gaze to the fore after all the months it had been hazy and filled with cracks. The difference was startling but welcome, and Jigano chirred relief and approval that Loren had been able to heal the young man who had already endured so much. I am glad, he said simply. Glad that Remi could see his husband and daughter. Glad that he could safely fly and land as hawk and manticore both! Glad that he had the beauty of the world back again, from dick-shaped fireworks to great big dongs made of memory snow.

Remi's solemn acceptance of his apology seemed to take a weight off the white bird, and he dropped his head and fanned his wings and tail in an avian bow of gratitude that he sent pulsing through the Attuned link. Thank you. That is more than I had any right to ask. With the stress that Remi had been under the last times he had seen the alchemist he would have understood if it would take far longer for reconciliation, but he was truly grateful that Ronin's return and the improvement of all the blighted seemed to have brought Remi back to his gentler self as well.

He fluttered down from his post, hopping across the snow (and dignity be damned) to approach the manticore and admire the segmented tail he hadn't yet gotten to examine up close, though there was still a hesitant cast to his posture as he tilted his head up at the towering predator above him. He and Remi weren't friends, exactly. But... before the blight had shaken his world to its core, they hadn't been not friends, either. Where did that leave them now? Did you come out here for a break? Or for a distraction? he asked, extending a tentative curl of concern towards the young inventor.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

I am as well. Remi thought in agreement, though there was a melancholy coating to his silent words. The restoration of his sight had...if not led to the dissolution of his friendship with Loren, it had certainly prefaced it.

Shaking his head and sending bits of snow tumbling out of his mane, the leonine-creature merely smiled a whiskered-grin. Never think it. He replied with genuine ease. Besides. Given Phoebe bit a chunk out of my shoulder and Ronin nearly shredded my back, you let me off easy. Remi added with a dark trill of laughter.

Careful. Remi warned, tensing slightly. The barbs could be thrown, but they were just as deadly to the touch.

A distraction. Knowing I will be stuck in the guildhall for all of LongNight I thought I would enjoy being out while I could. I thought perhaps I would train out here. I have never been in a body so big. I did not realize how cumbersome it could be.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano didn't miss the melancholy, but this time he did not press, more respectful of Remi's privacy than he had been in the past. It didn't stop him from wincing at the list of injuries the alchemist had taken from other blighted, however, a worried croak escaping at the new darkness in the young man's tone. That had not been there before the blight, and for all that he had wanted Remi to be less naive, he hadn't wished for the price to be so steep, or the consequences so painful.

Poisoned? he asked curiously instead, looking the barbs over with just a hint of fascination for the shininess of the carapace. What does it do?

He was a bit relieved when Remi said distraction rather than break. It made him feel less like he was interrupting and more like he might be able to help, though the mention of training had the raven looking up - and up, and up - at the manticore a little dubiously. I felt the same when I was, ah, 'given' my horse form, he admitted, but that's nothing compared to this! What sort of training did you have in mind?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

As far as I know, it varies from rendering someone catatonic, to just a painful burn. I have only really used it against the Punking we found in the Outskirts, and against some of the talking squirrels in the labyrinth. As academic a mind as Remi had, this sort of scientific testing left left him feeling cold and hollow.

Looking down as much as Jigano was looking up, the manticore raised a brow—much as he physically could, anyways—and playfully barred rows of shark-like teeth. What about a friendly game of...tag? That is, I know I will never be able to catch you, but it might be interesting to try.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The poison sounded mutable somehow, and Jigano wished there was an easier way to test it than on living creatures. Perhaps against summoned creatures? But surely Remi had thought of that already, and since Loren had healed the alchemist surely he wouldn't mind helping with this sort of research. It could wait until after LongNight though, when curiosity could more easily be explored under less stressful circumstances. At least it's not lethal? he offered, knowing that the gentle alchemist wouldn't want that on his hands. Er. Paws.

The view from the ground was, admittedly, more than a little unnerving. That was a lot of teeth. An unnecessary amount of teeth, from the raven's rather biased point of view being way too close to them. And did they need to be that big? Excellent questions when you were snack-sized, but the playfulness in Remis tone kept Jigano from doing more than ruffling his feathers and hopping back a few feet so he could look at the manticore a little easier. I don't know about 'never,' the bard demurred with a wry croak. But I'm game to try, at least. And, admittedly, curious how well Remi could corner in that big body.

Flapping his wings, Jigano rose up and let out a warning croak before he swooped low over Remi's head, batting at an ear with a fisted talon and then swerving out into the empty practice field to give the manticore a chance to get some speed up. You're it! he called back, staying low to keep the game within the Guild's yard.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Not that I know of. Remi said with a shake of his head. Though that initself was warning enough. As for Loren? Whether the thought had trickled through the bond or if the writer just stole that snippet of narrative, it hadn't occurred to him, if only because the pair weren't speaking.

Or..wouldn't speak.

Watching as the pale bird hopped into the air, if ever there was a time to strike out, it would have been then. Surely with wings and claws and the sheer size of his body he could have knocked the bird down as he gained the altitude needed to bestow the tag onto the manticore. Remi didn't of course. Strange as their relationship was, Remi had never wanted harm to come to the Sage.

Flicking his ear and roaring dramatically, Remi spun in the snow, narrowing his eyes. Even though the alchemist's sight had been restored by Loren, still the magic from before persisted: Jigano was outlined in a faint glow, making him just that much more noticeable compared to his surroundings. Trotting forward, the large creature spread his wings and launched himself into the air. Banking around and trying to keep himself above the bard, Remi dropped suddenly with his wings pinned to his sides.

Perhaps given his advantage when it came to speed, he could simply out-fly the smaller bird before he could dart away.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
That didn't go the way Jigano had expected it to.

Perhaps because he'd seen Remi pacing on four paws he assumed that the manticore wanted to practice his ground-based hunting skills. Perhaps because the manticore had already outflown him above the Greatwood he'd thought they wouldn't be doing a reprise of that particular flight. Alas, the old adage about assuming held true again this day, and the raven was taken completely by surprise as Remi launched not across the ground, but above it, his broad and powerful wings easily gaining height above the raven's smaller span. Once the manticore was above him, there was nowhere else for Jigano to go, and his only warning that he had so completely misunderstood the point of the exercise was a shadow that dimmed even the snowlight.

Reflex took over and Jigano folded his wings as well, dropping with a slight twist so that he wasn't going straight down but instead a little off to the side, the ground racing up to greet him - but he could stop a lot shorter than Remi could, the manticore's bigger mass giving him a formidable charge, but also being a lot harder to brake. Feathers brushing the snow and creating a cloud of white around him, the raven just barely pulled up from landing in a snow bank, and changed his path to zig and zag his way back to the training pells, hopefully using them as an obstacle to slow the manticore's descent a second time.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Indeed the mental calculations whiring intrinsically in the manticore's mind shot up warning lights and red flags long before Jigano's raven-mind would have. As they shot towards the ground Remi pulled up before Jigano did, though his massive wings beat up clouds of air and subsequently snow as he forced himself to stall in midair. Unable to see where Jigano had gone through the wintery debris, it took a moment for the shimmery wings of the Sage to become visible. By then, merely hovering in midair, it took the manticore a good few seconds before he was able to fly forward with any real traction.

Once he did however, he pinned his ears against his skull with paws outstretched and his hind-legs ticked neatly beneath him. The pose was awkward, but he thought it might make him more aerodynamic. However as he tried to follow the bard's twists and turns he found himself constantly flaring out his wings and tugging in his paws to keep himself even roughly on the same path the bird was taking.

Instead of being frustrated, the manticore roared out a warm laugh that was accompanied by rolling mental laughter as well as Remi snapped his teeth in Jigano's considerable wake.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The truth of the matter was, Remi had been a hawk for a lot longer than Jigano had been a raven. the alchemist had a better head for keeping the high ground, and the white bird knew his only hope of avoiding those big plush paws lay in dodging, using his small size to advantage. And while it was certainly good exercise for both of them, there was so much more to Remi's new form than just wings!

The laughing roar earned a mental chuckle from the raven too, Remi's joy infectious enough to overcome the remnants of the blight that still clung doggedly to the lorekeeper's heart. Come down here and say that! he called back, teasing. He winged to a halt on top of one of the practice pells, blue eyes twinkling. You're the master of the sky, but what about on four feet instead of two arms? Shall we take the game from wings to paws - and hooves? So saying, the raven dropped behind the pell.

Dropped, and rose, body shifting from small to large, from feathered to furred until a white horse stood and shook his mane against the flying snow. The handsome Andalusian waited to see if Remi landed and then took off at a gallop, kicking up snow behind him as he stretched out his neck and raced for the far edge of the training area.