Watch Jane Run
For Jigano
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

With the pressures of owning a whole guild of criminals just raring to go (both on missions and at each other), Adam was feeling under the pump to find things to do. He had some ideas, but most of them were at best half-formed. Used to working as a solo act, he had never made a lot of detailed plans, usually preferring to just wing it and see what happened.

But that didn't sound good for a leader to admit, so he was trying to pin some things down.

He came into the basement of the Atheneum hoping to find somewhere to grow drugs. It never occurred to him that the basement would be occupied; it mystified Adam that people wanted to spend time in the dingy old place full of books to begin with. He had hoped to find somewhere damp, dark, maybe with some exposed soil - instead he found something civilised and intellectual: immediately a space he felt unwelcome in.

Awkwardly he stood at the door, wondering if he'd walked into something he should not have. He wanted to look natural though, if someone did come across him, so he picked a random book from a nearby surface and pretended to flick through it, not noticing it was upside down.

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?
Do you wanna get drunk and stay the night?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Jigano had been doing his best to prepare the guild hall for LongNight, mostly on his own. Caiside was also recovering from the blight, Amalia had the world on her shoulders as it was, and Sam... well. The bard regretted how he had said a number of things, especially how harsh he had been with the blight still stirring him to petty sniping, but he had spoken honestly. Sam had the right to his hurt feelings over it, but Jigano had the right to his pain and anger over the blight the Voice had spread as well, and until some of that faded a little space was probably good for both of them before they could try and work things out again.

At least the blight had receded to a ghost of its former hold on him, allowing him to get back to work and training, regaining his strength and rebuilding his sense of self and purpose. He remembered how Maea and Sam had helped him work last year, digging out the window wells of the south wall of the Guildhall, and since he didn't want to have to reprise that task he had gone out to lay heavy planking over the wells, then shoveled snow back on top of it. It meant the Hall would be without sunlight until the snow melted, but it also meant that the Hall was hidden from the outside, and hopefully from the monsters that walked LongNight. He had brought a few more of the boards with him as he headed back inside, stomping snow from his boots and cloak on the steps outside the Atheneum before he made his way back into his Hall.

And stopped in surprise to find a stranger standing there as he came around the curve of the stairs, just inside the door. It had been awhile since anyone had visited seeking knowledge, and immediately the Provost perked up, setting the boards aside and stripping off his gloves as he offered a smile to the other man. "Good afternoon, sir," he began, courteous and welcoming in voice and manner. "What brings you to the Loreseekers' Guild today?" His eyes flicked to the book that Adam had picked up, noting its orientation, but he kept his expression friendly and open as he waited to hear what the other man was looking to know.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Adam turned around as he heard a voice, looking up to see a man he faintly recognised. Not well enough to know his name, but the white hair was distinctive enough that he knew he'd seen this person before in the background or at events. This man addressed him as sir, something hardly anyone did after taking in his roguish appearance, and he raised his eyebrows with an amused, questioning smile.

"Loreseekers, huh?" What an odd name, and not a particularly telling one. It sounded like something far too highbrow for Adam to want to be a part of, but he was intrigued.

Taking a couple steps up, he held out his hands for a board. "Lemme carry one. You look tired." Perhaps a year prior, when he had been less caring, less cared for, he would not have noticed such a thing and would never have offered - but now the world had shown him some of the value of kindness and naturally, without knowing, he had begun to return it. The book laid back unloved where it had been picked up from.

"I'm uh...to be honest, I had no idea this was all here. What do you even do down here?"

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"That's the name on the parchment," Jigano said, smile not fading but brow arching slightly in curiosity at Adam's unfamiliarity with the Guild. They'd been small and quiet since Zariah's taking of the throne, so he didn't expect newcomers to recognize them by name, but it was printed quite clearly beside the door upstairs, which presumably was how the stranger had arrived.

The offer of help was welcome though, and the bard gladly surrendered one of the large boards with a grateful smile. "Thanks. We can put that one in the southern reading room. I'm Jigano, Provost of the Guild, by the way." Introductions seemed to be in order since he was being assisted, and he led Adam to the easternmost room on the south side of the hall. Leaving his own board outside for the moment, he was more than happy to have help lifting Adam's heavy burden up to the window well and wedging it into place as best they could, a shield against LongNight incursions and monsterly mischief.

As they worked he was happy to answer questions about the guild, grunting softly as they lifted and settled the big wooden shutter into place. "Well, with LongNight coming, we're not doing as much as usual," he admitted wryly. "But we're a guild that gathers information about the world together in one place, rescues old knowledge on the verge of being lost, and tries to help find answers to the questions that people bring us, whether Natural or Outlander. A lot of what we do involves researching lore from the books upstairs, trying to piece together facts that have been lost in recent generations... things about the magic of Caido, the gods, the Ascended... but we also go out to learn new things or relearn forgotten ones. Things like making bestiaries and herbals of the animals and plants of Caido, which ones are dangerous, or which can be helpful. Exploring beyond the borders of the barrierlands, or into the Ruins and Underground. Things like that," he added with a wry smile, figuring a man who looked as Adam did would be more interested in the adventuring and exploring aspects of the Guild. "What of yourself? Are you part of any trade or Guild?"
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

"Oh, right, yeah, of course." Adam said, with all the confidence of someone who was clearly bluffing. He hadn't even seen the sign above the door; any glimpse of words and his brain just ignored what was there to spare him the embarrassment.

Jigano...hell of a name. "I'm Adam Mo--...just Adam Pikely." He didn't add 'leader of the Devil's Advocates', as much as he was proud of the title. Somehow, he felt like it wouldn't impress this bookish man. Instead he simply helped with the task at hand, his height helping him position the boards where Jigano wanted them to go.

"Wow, you're busy, huh?" Adam laughed, unsure of where to even start asking questions about the Guild. As usual one of the first things to come to mind, especially with the question Jigano asked him, was opportunity. "Actually, yes."

Framing was everything. "I am a leader of a...group of individuals interested in..." He waved a hand about, trying to find the word. "...finding things people need, and doing them, for a price. So if you need any help with all that adventuring and finding and so on, do find me." Perhaps it wasn't the height of crime, but it would be a start, practice to get their foot in the door and see how they worked as a team.

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Given the man's previous ignorance about the guild's name, Jigano found the sudden agreement far too pat, and merely raised a brow to let Adam know that he wasn't exactly convincing, but the Provost was too well-mannered to say anything about it. "Nice to meet you Adam," he said instead, curious about where that 'Mo' was going but it wasn't yet time to pursue it. He filed it away as something to ask later if the opportunity arose, instead focusing on getting the first board settled into place. It wedged in far more easily with the other man's help, and as they finished Jigano grinned at the taller man's laugh, tilting his head in wry agreement. "Putting it lightly, yes. We could use some more help, if I'm being honest." And he usually was. With Sam taking a hiatus to focus on his religious undertakings, there was only so much the three remaining guild members could do. A recruitment drive was definitely in order once LongNight was over...

"You're a leader of a mercenary group?" Jigano asked, amused by how Adam seemed to dance around the description. "Does your group have a name, by chance, so you're easier to find?" He winked at the other man as he went to get the second board and led the way to his office and the other window. "We have a mutually-beneficial arrangement with the Monster Hunter's Guild for protection and information sharing," he explained on the way. "But that doesn't mean we can't work with other groups as well. What sort of prices do you normally charge though?" And there was a sharp predator's glint in his blue eyes at the prospect of haggling to come.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Raised eyebrows ignored, Adam grinned; if he'd been anywhere else he might have held out a hand to shake, but somehow he thought Jigano might turn his nose up at Adam's usually dirty, black-fingernailed hands. Anyone who read books and spoke posh already had a set of characteristics decided in Adam's head.

A mercenary group. "Yeah, yeah, that's a good way to put it." He agreed, though hesitated before giving the name, which sounded distinctly seedy. Well, confidence was key. "Oh, it's The Devil's Advocates. I didn't choose the name - you ever know Lucas? I took over the guild from him after he uh..." Adam drew a finger across his throat.

"As for prices...sounds like you guys have a lot of information. So if we needed to know something about a place, or a person, for a job...maybe you could tell us, free of charge?" He winked.

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
So, not a mercenary group then, or at least, his guess wasn't quite right. Not if Adam was saying 'a good way to put it' as if there were better ways. But the name of the group earned both eyebrows as Jigano wrestled the second board by himself, pushing it into place with a grunt of effort. "The Devil's Advocates?" he repeated dryly. "That sounds more like a bunch of lawyers than..." he trailed off as he turned look at the other man and caught the gesture for a dead man and his eyes widened in surprise and a little regret. Lucas had been charming, and even if Remi and Jigano had suspected the blond of stealing Ludo's mask he had never directly harmed the bard. Jigano had even tentatively liked him in spite of Remi's suspicions, but now it would seem they would have neither answers nor the opportunity to know more about him.

He drew in a breath and gave Adam a solemn nod. "I am sorry to hear that." And he was, though he hadn't known Lucas well enough to truly mourn the man.

Adam glossed over the death of his former guildleader swiftly enough, but Jigano supposed they hadn't been close either. He did tilt his head at the suggestion and the brow rose again in amusement. "I will gladly share information for an undertaking that our two guilds discuss and pursue together," he said, amused. "Just as we do with the Monster Hunter's Guild. And if there is a task you will need to do that will benefit the Settlement as a whole, of course we'll be happy to help. Who are the members of your Guild, if I need to seek assistance from them?"
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

"Lawyers?" Adam laughed at the irony; while there wasn't much law here, his group definitely would not be the ones to uphold it if there was.

It seemed Jigano was affected by his news about Lucas, and Adam regretted telling it in such a crass way for a moment. "Yeah...well...I wasn't there, but I heard he died fighting a tree or something? But it was for The Voice, which was like, his thing, right? So..." Or at least, he assumed it had been - Amalia had told him Ascended were the The Voice ones, he thought.

"Oh, great. That's great. Uh...as for members..." Was it a good idea to name all his companions? If they did do anything unsavoury, he didn't want to help this man write the wanted poster. "There's me, and Pet, my uh...partner..." He skirted around the word 'boyfriend', not sure how he felt about it. "We have some other people, but I think they might appreciate it if I kept it secret for now - if you go the Rathskeller and ask for me, you'll get me soon enough."

His constant availability at the bar probably said something about him, but Adam didn't want to unpack that right now. Looking about, he took in a breath before asking: "You ever do like, classes and stuff here? Y'know, teaching people how to uh...read...? Not that I need that. Just wondering."

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Real devils rarely need advocates," the bard pointed out dryly, but with amusement in his eyes. "Though that's what an 'advocate' is, of course. One who argues on behalf of a plaintiff or defendant before a court." Though with Caido being as generally lawless and new to monarchy as it was, he wasn't surprised it hadn't much experience with such things.

Lucas's choice of name made a certain amount of sense in that regard, but news of his loss was sobering. Even more so when Adam grew suddenly cagey about answering the head of a guild that dealt in information. "Well," he said mildly, curiosity aroused - but suspicion as well. "A partnership is built on trust, and we are an information guild. Perhaps when you are willing to share your own, we'll find a way to work together." Could pets even be official guild members? That would nearly double the Loreseekers' numbers if so!

Ah, the Rathskeller. Jigano had used to be a regular fixture there as well, but ever since Zariah... well, that statement was true of a great many things. Life before Zariah had been so much simpler, even with the Natural-Outlander tensions. Since her rise (and thankfully subsequent fall) he had found little time or energy to return to his bardic performances there twice a week. With Edy gone it just wasn't the same...

The question was abrupt and unexpected, but Jigano was starting to think that was normal for Adam. His lips quirked slightly and in spite of the unsavory appearance and secrets of his guest he gave a welcoming nod. "We have before, yes. Usually Sam runs that side of things..." But Sam was taking a break for a bit, and Jigano drew in breath to continue with barely a pause. "But I would be available to teach in between preparations for LongNight." As they were currently doing, in point of fact.

"Do you know anything else about Lucas's passing?" he asked after a moment's hesitation, brow furrowed in thoughtful concern.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

"Oh, well yeah. I guess." Adam nodded along, trying to pretend like he'd actually thought about the name beyond 'haha, Lucas calls himself the devil and the name says devil in it'. "I haven't seen any courts here though...the ones back home, they were huuuuuge. I was in them plenty, before I got arre--" He stopped himself, remembering he was trying to appear at least sort of like an upstanding citizen to Jigano. "--Out."

He chewed at his lip, wondering if it was alright to tell Jigano the names of his members - perhaps just something between. "Well, okay, look--" He pulled up his sleeve and showed off the small bracelet, delicate leather straps on his wrist. "Anyone in the guild wears these."

That classes could be available (and that Jigano could do them, which was good - Adam didn't want anyone else to know he needed them) was a relief. For the moment he just nodded though, distracted by Jigano's question.

"Oh, uh...no, I know he died in the woods 'cos he got hit by a tree...uh...doing something for The Voice. That's it. Sorry, man, I don't really get all the God stuff around here. Thought I was friends with Ludo at one point, but I guess not now." He shrugged.

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano started to nod at Adam's observation that Caido didn't have courts, but most Outlander worlds the bard had heard of so far seemed to have some sort of governments or kingdoms, with presumably laws and ways of enforcing them. As the man stumbled over the word 'arre' though, the white-haired man kept his face carefully neutral against the smile that threatened to tug at his lips. Lucas hadn't exactly been the most savory sort either, after all, and the portals had brought all sorts through. Demigods and princesses, minstrels and thieves. So long as they kept their pilfering and sins to small and petty things, it wasn't Jigano's place to pass laws or judgment. Such was for Queens and Kings and Sheriffs - or Generals.

It did make him a little more wary, however. Not a lot; Adam was a stranger and Jigano could be genial and welcoming without being trusting. But a guild called 'the Devil's Advocates, led by a repeat lawbreaker, who was shady about the names of his members and who identified themselves by a secret code bracelet? It wasn't exactly reassuring when it all came together like that.

But they could be useful, perhaps, and keeping an eye on them while he knew something about them was better than chasing them off with righteous fury and then losing sight of them entirely. The devil you knew, and all that.

Besides, he was a bard, not a paladin. Flexibility was in his nature.

"Thank you," Jigano said gravely to the information of how to identify these Devil's Advocates. There seemed little else to say, so he turned to the question of reading lessons instead, curious about where Adam was going with them, though he had an inkling of suspicion. It wasn't the sort of thing that was asked 'for a friend' usually, after all.

"Mm. I haven't seen Ludo recently either," Jigano admitted as well. "I have been too busy preparing for LongNight to pray as often as I should." Or at least, his prayers had been vague and focused more on 'please don't let us die' - a very general sort of request, when the gods of Caido seemed to prefer dealing in specifics. Still, it was too bad that Adam didn't know more about what Lucas was doing. For the Voice was not a phrase that currently held much favor with the bard, after all. What, precisely, the Ascended had been up to was a matter of both personal curiosity and personal concern after how their last foray into doing 'Mama Voice's' bidding had turned out for the bard and the other unAscended people of Caido.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam wasn't sure if Jigano would thank him once he actually knew what the members of his guild were in the guild for, but for the moment he smiled and nodded; he just about resisted giving the bard finger guns and instead just said: "But for real, if you need us -- just ask for me at the bar."

"What...d'you do to prepare? I showed up on the last day of this last year, so I wasn't really around before." Sunjata had spoken to him about Longnight and hadn't mentioned having to do any prep, he didn't think - Adam suddenly worried that he was about to find out if he didn't smear his skin with a certain salve he would die immediately upon the hour, or something similar.

As for the reading lessons, if he was going to get it over and done with, he had to ask now and not later. "So, uh, the reading lessons. How much would you want, for those? Especially if it was a private kinda class? One-on-one?"

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The bar. Ah yes. Anytime. How... reassuring. Though it did beg the question... "With Edrei gone, has anyone else taken up running the Rathskeller?" A question that hurt, and he didn't entirely disguise it. She had been his friend, strong and fragile, brave and scared, fierce and loyal to a fault. He had let her down. It would be a long, long time before he ever forgave himself for that.

Considering how everyone had been bustling about and various notices had been posted to the board in the Temple -- ah, but Adam had been asking about reading lessons, hadn't he? That would certainly put a crimp in learning what all the fuss was about, unless and until the opportunity arose to ask someone directly. Like now, for instance. "Board up the windows, or at least cover them with black cloth so light doesn't shine through the cracks," he began, ticking things off on his long fingers. "The monsters that walk the darkness are drawn to light and sound, so you don't want anything to escape from where you're staying. Gather snow moss from the woodlands - it grows year-round, and is chill to the touch - to put beneath floorboards or hinges that might squeak as you walk over them. Stuff it into cracks in your windows and doors as well to muffle any sound from escaping, like the light." He arched a brow at his companion. "Speaking of light, it's a full week of darkness. No sun, no moon, no stars. So you'll want plenty of candles, lantern oil, and firewood. Light and warmth, to keep you sane and alive. Not to mention stockpiling food and fresh water, because once the doors shut they won''t be opening again. If you have to go outside during LongNight the monsters may slip into your home while you're out to wait for your return, or they may just attack you when you leave. They can mimic voices at the very least, possibly images as well, so even if you hear someone you know outside, the Naturals won't open their doors. Basically, prepare for it like you would a siege." He paused thoughtfully, then tilted his head, lips twisting into a wry but painful smile. "Oh, and try to befriend the luxere herds, if you can. Feed them apples or hay or treats. Sing to them. The more goodwill you can build up with them, the more will come to spend the week near your home to use their light to ward off the monsters." Would Adam have time to do any of it? Probably not. But even if he went out to coax luxere for the next few days it might help.

Jigano's suspicions were confirmed when the matter of reading lessons were brought up, and he kept his expression grave in spite of the smile that threatened to ruin his solemn mien. Reading lessons he would gladly provide for free - but Adam, possible-rogue that he seemed to be, didn't need to know that. "Given the season? Spend an hour each day from now until LongNight singing to or feeding any luxere that you can," Jigano decreed as his price. "I'll check in from time to time to see how it's going. But for that, I will gladly arrange reading lessons. We can even start today if you have time," he suggested.