Hands Held Across the Rift
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL
i am the ocean, crawling madly at your moon.
and with one wanton whoop —
He had left a message at the Artist's Sanctuary (a rather odd building, he thought, when he peeked in - so chaotic) for Rexanna, asking for her to meet him at the Safehouse. As much as he was anxious about getting to know new people, she had been kind to him after the fight at the Mathair and he needed to speak with her.

Sam had had an idea. One that he thought could help all the Ascended.

Waiting for her, he prayed at the altar, stared at the image of The Voice painted on the wall. While it was not a shrine in the true sense, he liked to think he could still feel her presence when he knelt before it, the peace and motherly love that she had pressed gently into his head.
— i melt into a sycophantic soup,
& all that's left to do, is giggle, fawn, and swoon.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
and all the people say, you can't wake up, this is not a dream
you're part of a machine,
The note is a surprise, but a welcome one when she sees who it’s from. She hasn’t met Samuel all that often, but the man seems quiet, withdrawn, uncertain at most things. So when she receives the note about meeting him in the safehouse they had all put together, the least she can do is go. So she bundles up in a dark jacket with a hood, dark furs lined around her shoulders despite not needing them for the heat. She’s more into the fashion of it anyway.

And she sets out into the night until she reaches the safehouse, making her way through the cube that covers it. And upon reaching the base, she lowers her hood to find Samuel knelt before the shrine they had made. A bright fanged smile crosses her face at the sight of the redhead. “Hey Sam!” She says by way of greeting, breezing over toward him and the shrine to fully greet him and pay attention to what kind of news he might have for her. “What did you need to talk to me about?

She’s not the newest Ascended anymore, but a part of her still feels… Quite a bit young, especially in the presence of those that had Ascended far before she had.
you are not a human being
well my heart is gold and my hands are cold
REXANNA
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL
As Rexanna arrived, bright and cheerful (what a contrast to the last time he had been there, talking to Wessex) he turned to smile at her, sitting cross-legged parallel to the altar and absent-mindedly scratching at the ground with a stone.

"Hello, um-- well..." Sam paused, suddenly aware he didn't really know how Rexanna was going to react to any of his suggestions. Perhaps it was wise to start with some questions, to gauge where she was on things. "I was wondering...you've Ascended, but you're still Abandoned, right?" He remembered that some Outlanders had begun to object to the term and watched for her reaction to see if the word angered her; hoping it did not he continued.

"How do you feel...about your Abandoned side? Do you still feel connected to other Abandoneds, or do you feel more Ascended now?"
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
There’s a part of her that almost wishes Samuel would smile more – finding the action to be very pleasant, even if he seemed a bit timid. So he sits cross-legged, parallel to the altar, and she takes a seat on the bed, cross-legged as well with her hands in her lap and her sapphire eyes lingering on Sam for whatever conversation this would shift toward. But the question he gives her at first, is something that not many people have asked (usually she’s the first to say it, so it’s kind of nice to not be the one that initiates that part) and she nods to him. “I am.” She announces easily, head tilting as he continues on.

And wow, what a topic that was. It wasn’t really something she’s thought of recently, and with it… Well, there’s a lot to take in. Her face takes on a bit of a contemplative look as she glances from the altar back to Samuel. “Well… I think I feel a bit more Ascended than Abandoned, in that regard.” She murmurs, one hand raising to tap at her chin as she thinks. “I feel abandoned, able to hold my magic separately from those that I’ve bitten. It’s like… It’s like it’s a different well I can reach into, if that makes sense?” She doesn’t know if it does, but to her it does. “As for feeling more Ascended, I think mostly just because I don’t feel pain, I have fluid and nanites now, the sunlight hurts. I think with all the restrictions and changes to my person it leans me a bit more toward Ascended.” She finally admits before huffing out a quiet laugh.

Ascended, with my own personal well of magic to use.” She finally results, giving him a fanged smile before it fades slightly. “Why do you ask?
REXANNA
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam liked Rexanna; she gave thoughtful and considered answers, spoke quietly but confidently. He listened with an equal respect, hands on his knees and his face one of rapt attention.

The important thing he'd been trying to find out was answered: she did not feel any resentment towards either side of her race. That meant what he had to suggest was a possibility, he hoped. Tapping his fingers on the side of his knee he tried to place his words carefully, looking beyond Rexanna at the wall behind her as he thought it through.

"Well...I was thinking. The Ascended...especially after the Blight, we are not popular with people. I don't think attacking the Mathair is going to help matters either - at least with some people." He glanced at her, trying to gauge how she took that statement; The Voice had given him the peace to be calm about these considerations, but he knew he still had a tendency to overthink things, consider edges of situations others hadn't.

"So I started wondering how we could improve our image with the other races. Then I realised - The Voice was once Abandoned, right? And we know that Abandoned can become Ascended, like you did. What if...we tried to make the Abandoned almost...our friends? They have no connections to the Old Gods, which is a large reason people are reticent to agree with us..." He trailed off, chewing at his lip and looking at Rexanna to see what she thought of his idea.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
Rex like’s Samuel as well, the quiet bookmaker Ascended that seemed to harbor plenty of feelings within. She had been that way once, and she focuses on giving her attention to him – uncertain if he’s used to receiving this kind of gesture. It’s the most polite thing Rexanna knows, to focus and give attention to those speaking, especially with something that could be important to them. And she gives it to Sam now.

But the information he gives her at first is something she nods along with. “I agree…” She pauses, following his train of thought. It would be hard to manage the peace after they had literally caused such a disturbance. But when he mentions that the Voice was Abandoned, that train of thought of hers pauses and her gaze snaps to him again. She hadn’t known this fact, and her head tilts as he continues on.

I see what you mean.” She says lightly, a tilt to her head and curiosity reaching and extending within her. “The Voice was uncertain if it would work for me… When I Ascended it felt like it would burst out of me, like when we get too close to a flame.” She tells him quietly, brows furrowing. “But it is possible… I do have quite a few Abandoned friends.” Her sapphire gaze softens as she looks up at Sam. She thinks of Deimos, of Peter. “I think you're right. If there's people out there that would be willing to side with us and protect us it would probably be them?” It does little for her to mention or ask anything about the Naturals, after all – she’s speaking with one.
REXANNA
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam saw Rexanna's shock as he mention the Voice had once been Abandoned, and was surprised in turn himself - it was a fact Old Gods love to weaponize against their Goddess; he was so used to hearing it he had thought everyone would know.

Still, despite her only just learning of The Voice's original race, she seemed willing to talk about his idea. "You do? I do not know too many Abandoned people - Remi, I suppose, but he's not just an Abandoned...and he is one of the rare people who like us anyway. Or at least - doesn't want to throw us away so readily as some." He frowned as he thought of Jigano, his ribs feeling tight over his heart.

"Yes. So...I was wondering, because you are Abandoned, and might be able to relate to them...if you could go to the Abandoned people you know and ask them to stand up for the Ascended, when they see us being disparaged. And...maybe see if they want to Ascend, but clearly that isn't the point." He didn't think so, anyway. "Do you think you could do that? Perhaps, after Longnight?"
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
For being a new Ascended, Rexanna has heard very little about the goddess she’s pledged herself to. And yet, she’s felt all the comfort and sweetness that comes with the Voice. More so than she experienced with Frey. And the fact she now knows she was once Abandoned, almost gives her a sort of kindred feeling toward her.

Still, she focuses on Sam when he speaks, and she nods to offer him a gentle smile. “I do. There’s Deimos and Hotaru for starters. Peter. Possibly Loren, though I’m uncertain where we stand currently…” She trails off as though she’s listing her friends off on a checklist of sorts. “I will try. I can’t make any guarantees on convincing them to Ascend… But some backup for when things go south I can certainly do.” A crooked fanged grin crosses her face at that.

Yes, I think that’s likely when the information will hit as well. Best to protect ourselves as much as possible.” She agrees, hands folding into her lap as she tilts her head toward Sam. It’s a different battle than before, when the Hollowed Grounds had risen up with Outlanders versus Naturals… Now, it seemed like those forsaken from the old gods and those who were beloved. But she had always thought herself of being both sides, no matter how much like a double edged sword it seemed to be turning into.
REXANNA
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Most of the names Rexanna listed meant nothing to Sam, but it was heartening to know she had a good amount of people to ask. Perhaps they would not be as small as Sam sometimes felt, when he heard his own friends say such horrible things about his race and Goddess.

"Thank you. I hope they...take what you say well - though...you're probably better at me than talking about these things." Sam smiled, embarrassed, at the truth of it; he was not a good speaker, and that had only been proven by his poor defence of himself in various arguments he'd had recently.

With his request made, he did not want to keep Rexanna too long. "Well, I'm sure you have plenty to prepare for Longnight - I'll talk with you after, see how it went...?"
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
You’re welcome!” She tells Sam in a rather chimed type of voice before his admission hits her, an embarrassed smile crossing his face. And she reaches out in the hopes of maybe touching his hand in a comforting gesture before giving him a slight knowing look. “I was a queen in my previous land, I’ve learned how to talk to people.” She says with a light wink. “It just takes time.” She thinks Sam can do it too, the more he gains confidence in the things he believes in.

She knows he’s likely confident when he talks of the books he makes, it’s a similar in a way.

But regardless, she nods to him and stands, giving him another bright smile. “Sounds good to me, Sam.” She says lightly before turning slightly. “And if you need anything at all, just let me know or come see me. I live at the Artist’s Sanctuary, now.” She informs him with a small nod in addition before pausing in case he has anything else to add, before she slips back out from their hidden Ascended home.
REXANNA