Bigger, Better, Stronger
For Remi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 3061
R O N I N

Had he known his friend was setting up an alchemy shop, Ronin would have thought to lend a hand. As it was, he only realised (to his delight) that they had set up their new businesses within a very short walk of one another. And Ronin had a favour to ask that he was pretty certain needed someone like Remi to perform their magic on it.

Entering the shop and mentally preparing himself for all sorts of oddities and concoctions, the captain-turned-bounty-hunter reached into his pants (calm down, you) and retrieved a small copper disc he affectionately referred to as his Echo. Since getting here he had noticed that its ability to mimic sound, whilst unaffected, did not have quite the same radius as before. He hoped his alchemist friend might be able to improve on that somewhat.

"Morning, Remi," he greeted as he glanced around, walking the disc absently across his knuckles.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

Remi was currently working on a fairly specific shade of blue die. He saw the colour in his dreams and more haunted moments during the day, and yet somehow now that he was focusing on it he couldn't get it quite right. It didn't pierce the way it should. That Launceleyn blue was hard to come by, in life and in art it seemed.

As his door opened, Remi set down the berries he'd been using and peered around a stack of equipment he'd recently salvaged. Seeing the captain, a smile burst out across Remi's face as he moved towards the counter.

"Good morning yourself." The alchemist tittered back, tilting his head slightly to the side as he watched the coin-like thing dance its way across Ronin's hand. "I didn't know parlour tricks were your thing, Ronin." Remi said, his grin growing crooked as he allowed his eyes to move back up to Ronin's face. Though Remi's hands were particularly dexterous, that actually was one trick he'd never bothered to learn.

remi
At another place in time, you were infinitely mine
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
R O N I N

The sound of the alchemist's voice drew Ronin away from the various bits of equipment and ingredients he'd been examining and towards the counter, and he greeted Remi with a broad smile of his own. His smiles were beginning to reach his eyes again, something he barely even noticed, though as the other man mentioned his 'parlour tricks' the former captain let out a laugh and shook his head, setting the Echo down.

"I'm a gambling man, Remi - it's less a trick and more a way to keep the fingers dextrous." He tipped the hawk a cheeky wink for his trouble. "No, this is a device I picked up in Northaven. It can imitate any sound - give it a try." Should Remi choose to, he would find the coin, once held, would indeed mimic any sound in the alchemist's imagination, needing only a small effort of will to bring it into being.

"The only issue is that it only reaches about ten feet, now. It used to carry a great deal further. I was wondering who might be able to help with such a thing, and naturally I thought of your fine self and even finer establishment." He shrugged.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

It was good to hear Ronin laugh again. He'd met the man at what was perhaps the last easy moments in his life. The guard was underway, whatever was happening with Loren was on the up and up, and any number of other things that Remi of course didn't know about, but that caused happiness and confidence to exude from the man. That side of Ronin had been marred as of late (as had his body), but now slowly the man Remi had met all those months ago on the beach was starting to shine through.

"Dexterous." The alchemist repeated with a sideways smile of his own. Remi of course didn't know about Ronin and Loren, but he had seen the man with Vanya now on more than one occasion, and the thought made the alchemist chuckle as well.

Intrigued, Remi picked up the coin and narrowed one of his eyes. Suddenly Ronin's voice burst out into the shop, but not from the man's mouth. "Well, at least I haven't found myself looking too foolish." It was one of the first things Ronin had ever said to Remi. The alchemist couldn't quite remember the topic of conversation now, only this was what Ronin had said when he had finally bothered to put some clothes on.

Swallowing slightly at the memory (which had caused his cheeks to flush slightly), Remi was glad he hadn't let his mind go where it so often did these days. To Loren.

"Ahh yes. My fine establishment. " Remi grinned, glancing about. Actually it had come along quite nicely. "Well. Normally magical items are not really my speciality. However..." Not normally one to boast, this was something simply too miraculous for him to keep in. Looking at the coin, Remi made one of those paradigmatic I'm using magic now motions, and just like that, the coin began to float.

remi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

"Dexterous," Ronin repeated right back to the other man, and the innuendo practically rolled on his tongue as he leant an arm on the counter. He waited with a near boyish excitement as Remi picked up the Echo, though he did jump at the sound of his own voice coming out of it. "Glad to see I'm on your mind," he murmured with a bright grin, Ronin straightening up again just to watch the hawk make his oh-so-mysterious gestures.

Only... the gesture brought with it an actual magical response. Ronin's jaw dropped shamelessly as the coin floated up and into the air, the ex-captain glancing between it and Remi and eventually managing a breathless sort of laugh.

"Fuck. Off," he said bluntly, reaching out to wave a hand beneath the floating device, like he could find the strings or whatever. "Remi, you can do magic? Since... I mean, can that even... I mean, Ashe managed to..." Wisely deciding to shut up, he settled on shaking his head and reaching over to clasp the other man on the shoulder. "Damn. That's definitely something..."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

The blush on Remi's cheeks darkened at this, but rather than shying away the alchemist merely shrugging his shoulders and met Ronin's gaze with a cheeky expression. "Well you have just burst into my shop, who else should I be thinking of?" There were other ways of answering that question of course, and again, Remi was glad he'd let his mind settle on the captain rather than any of the others.

At first Remi didn't know how to take Ronin 's expletive. On the one hand, surely acquiring magic was a good thing? But on the other, given that he was the lowest of the low and magic conferred a social rank with it necessarily, perhaps the captain thought that it was inappropriate for the alchemist to suddenly possess such abilities? His stuttering didn't help, but the clasp of his fingers against Remi's shoulder helped to confer some sense of approval. Or at the very least, not disgust.

With a sigh, the coin fell back to the counter. "It was given to me...I think." Remi said, voice sad and flat. "The night I came back as a lion. I met this..." Closing one eye for a moment to try and remember what Vai had called it, the alchemist continued. –deity, I believe. It gave me these powers and called me an I<>Abandoned, whatever that means."

Looking at the coin, it began to spiral slightly, defying physics in a beautiful display.

remi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

"I did not burst anyhere," Ronin objected with a good-natured squeeze to Remi's shoulder. How could he ever think magic to be anything but incredible? And for a shapechanger to be blessed with it too - hells, Ronin couldn't describe his pride he felt for his friend. His hand fell away as the other man continued and their conversation turned to the night Ronin had found him as a lion about to maul an innocent corgi-boy.

"A... deity?" he repeated; for all of his education, the word was as difficult on his tongue as on Remi's. "Wait, do you mean like Vanya's Ocean?" His lady worshipped the water in the sense that she respected and revered it as a motherly presence. But he didn't recall the waves ever bringing her magic. Still, this was a new world, and anything was possible now.

"An Abandoned?" He frowned, watching the coin spin with interest. "I've never heard the term, but... I think Loren is looking into the Anatheum and all the books there. Maybe there's a text on this sort of thing..."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Apparently they were going to continue to speak passed one another. "I am not sure about what Vanya worships ... Vai told me about deities from stories and the like after the presence I met in the temple. But this was not like an ocean ... it was a physical being, or at least, it appeared physical." To be fair, Frey was an ever-shifting sea of faces and Ludo had been a swath of apparently sentient cloth for all Remi knew.

Nodding slowly, the alchemist could only shrug. "I do not know what it means. But–" The mention of the Launceleyn's name silenced Remi instantly and an odd expression came over him. He couldn't quite tell himself if it was relief (ahh see! Loren has just been working this whole time) or if instead it was a tendency towards sulking (well he had time to link up with Ronin..). Swallowing thickly, Remi brandished the thoughts with a smile. "I'll have to ask him the next time I see him." Came the dismissive reply.

Looking back down towards the coin, Remi narrowed his eyes. "So you'd have me try to increase the range? Allow it to make sounds reach farther?"

remi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

"Oh, a physical entity...?" Ronin was clearly stumped by it - of all the monsters he'd seen and dealt with, he most certainly hadn't found one that gave gifts rather than punishments. Oblivious to the awkwardness that a certain Launceleyn's name caused, Ronin smiled sunnily at Remi and nodded. "If I see him first I'll nudge him onto the case for you too." he said, though clearly the magic Remi had inherited was a good thing, and the ex-captain was still very much enthralled.

Nodding at the other man's explanation of the improvements he wanted to make to the Echo, Ronin straightened back up again. "Mmhm, if you could," he said. "I'm just reluctant to use it in case it draws attention to me, rather than distracting." He shrugged. "And who knows, maybe you can learn how it does it."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Happy to leave his undigested thoughts about Loren's comings and goings for another time, Remi happily let Ronin swing the conversation to the echo. As Ronin straightened, Remi hunched forward. Picking up the coin in his hands 9it would take a while before magic was somehow second nature), he tilted his head quizzically. In his mind he was trying to work out the logistics of altering a magical object.

Nibbling the inside of his lip, the alchemist narrowed his eyes and hummed thoughtfully to himself. Whether this was a trait he'd always possessed or one he'd picked up from Loren when the magician was practicing magic even Remi couldn't say anymore.

Without any sort of physical pieces to pull apart and work with, at first the alchemist was a bit stumped as to how to motivate the pieces into doing something other than what they'd been magically constructed to do.

But then an idea occurred to him. Surely the way to alter a magical item was with magic? The thing he'd met in the swamp had unlocked more than just nightmares and the ability to move things with his mind. He'd also apparently been given the ability to create. How the ability worked he couldn't quite say, other than that he'd more or less discovered it had a particular scope and range.

Focusing intently on the coin, the alchemist closed his eyes to visualize what he wanted. Using his new magic, he'd try to imbue the object with the ability to create sound with a much wider circumference than what it had when Ronin had brought it in.

remi

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

At first, nothing would happen to the echo. The alchemist was probably too weak or too new to magic to do much of anything. Probably. But as he continued to pour energy into the device (although that was probably far too fancy a name for the disc) something shifted, a quality to the air that would be hard to identify, but both men would feel immediately. It was the feeling of a carefully constructed spell being disrupted by someone who had absolutely no idea what he was doing and shouldn’t have been messing around with forces outside his ken.

Then, the echo would begin to whine, very very softly, but very very insistently. However, it would quickly climb in both pitch and volume until it became completely unbearable. At the same time, it would start to shake rapidly, until it actually started levitating from the force of it. By this point, both Ronin and Remi would be totally incapacitated by the sonic symphony assaulting their senses.

At this point, the disc exploded, fragments pinging through the air, bouncing off various surfaces, and even cut both men’s exposed skin and clothes a little bit where they hit. Magic, wild and untamed crackled through the air. Then, all at once, the pieces stopped, shivered, and slowly came back to where the disc had once rested. They swirled in a vortex, slowly, but picking up speed, before they imploded in a flash of light. Both men, already temporarily deafened, would also be temporarily blinded.

When their vision cleared and their other senses returned to them, they’d see quite the unusual sight. A lobster would be where the disc had once rested. It looked at them with beady but somehow cute eyes. As it raised its enormous claws, it hesitated, looking between Remi and Ronin, before lowering them it what seemed an almost plaintive and scared gesture. If the two men were baffled by the events that had just unfolded, the poor lobster was obviously even more terrified.
Unfortunately, Remi's tinkering destroyed the Echo.

You've found a regular companion! If you would like to try and earn the creature's trust (thereby 'winning' the companion, you have 3 days to post to try and do so! Be creative in your responses. If you would not like to try to win the creature, feel free to continue posting!)
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

Stepping back from the counter so as not to be in Remi's light, Ronin glanced down curiously to watch the alchemist at work. With magic of all things. A soft smile played over the ex-captain's face; he was wholly confident in Remi's abilities, of course, and how was he to know that it was a confidence that would be misplaced? Remi began to hum, but then... so did the Echo, and Ronin wasn't sure if it was a mimicry of the sound his friend was making.

"Uh, is it meant to do that...?" He had to raise his voice a little over the insistent whine, and when it grew to a pitch that he couldn't handle he realised that no, it almost definitely wasn't meant to screech and levitate and make his ears bleed. Clapping his hands over the aching appendages, Ronin just had the sense to look and turn slightly away when his Echo simply shattered in front of them. The sting on his arms and cheek said that he hadn't been spared the ire of some of the sharp little pieces.

Ronin blinked his eyes open and regretted it instantly, for that was just when the flash of light snapped through the air and... and a lobster...? Appeared?

"What in the five hells...?" The ex-captain looked questioningly at Remi, like he might (somehow) have some kind of an answer for him, though the lobster did draw his attention persistently. "You're a long way from the ocean, little guy," he remarked, leaning down in front of the counter. "And you're... like... technically my Echo. Do you mind turning back, maybe?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

"N–" Remi began, just as the crescendo of the whine reached its climax. Similarly pressing his hands over his ears, Remi tried to back away. Given that his face was already contorted against the sound (and thus his eyes had already squinted closed), the brilliant flash was perhaps not so damaging as it might have been, though the exploding echo was. As paper-cut fine lacerations covered his forearms and cheeks, Remi hissed an inhale, swallowing and stuttering backwards until his back hit the back wall.

Opening his eyes in time to see just what the captain was questioning, Remi jolted further against the wall, pale eyes wide. "Wha–" Remi began. Having not spent any length of time around the sea really and with things like lobsters being more of a delicacy (and of course, not being on the inside joke between the former baron and former duke), Remi had precisely 0 idea at what he was looking.

"Ronin I'm not sure if you should–" Touch it? Be near it? Talk to it? Though clearly the captain had other ideas.

As Ronin asked the creature to turn back, Remi was interested to see if in fact it would. Or could.

If not, the alchemist would have some apologizing to do.

remi

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

The lobster clacked her claws at both men as her feet rapidly pattered as she moved to face first Remi then Ronin. Unlike the two of them, she didn't know anything about her unusual origins or about the events that had just transpired. All she knew was that she was alone and frightened and very much wanted all this excitement to go away and perhaps to find a cool dark pool of water somewhere. Unfortunately, she apparently wasn't going to get her wish, as the dark haired man leaned forward to speak to her. The fair haired man didn't move forward, and the lobster looked at him as if daring him to make a move.

When that didn't happen, the lobster turned to Ronin, staring at him with those adorably beady little eyes of hers. While she didn't like all the hubhub, something about the man's voice was strangely soothing. Obviously, she couldn't understand him, since, well, she was a lobster and they weren't exactly known for their higher thought processes. Even more obvious, it wasn't turning back to the echo, not now, maybe not ever.

However, the lobster reached out with one claw and carefully clamped it around Ronin's nose, which was conveniently close to the counter. She shook it gently, as if to claim ownership, then settled down somewhat. While she still watched Remi with wary eyes,  she'd apparently decided that Ronin, at least, was not a threat.
It looks like Ronin has succeeded in winning the lobster's trust! What a strange little creature it must be. Congratulations!