carry on my wayward friend
for Ronin
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

She’s heard that Ronin was feeling better and seeing as it’d been quite some time since they talked (she was conveniently spared his wrath), Wessex sent the King a note inviting him to a snow-moss gathering outing so that they could catch up in private. Away from prying eyes. And also do something that needed to be done, seeing as the Rathskellar hadn’t been prepped the way the Temple had - which was her fault.

She asked him to meet her in the Glade, where a little known patch of snow moss usually remains untouched. This is where he will find her, on her hands and knees in the snow with a basket nearby. She’s methodically pulling at the pale green plant and depositing it in the woven container. There's dirt under her short nails and though she wears her usual cloak, the outfit under it is simple and seasonally inappropriate. The cold doesn’t bother her.

If the Ascended could show signs of fatigue and stress on their bodies, she would look tired and tense. But as it is, Wessex just looks... the same as when he last saw her. The way she will always look, from here on out.

WESSEX
She whispered back, I am the storm
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
the baffled king composing hallelujah
His decision made, his mind set. It wouldn’t surprise him if Wessex already knew what he was going to say - one could make all the excuses in the world; recovery from the blight, Deepfrost and its fresh rending of the trauma of last LongNight... But the bottom line was that Wessex had been ruling where Ronin had not. And for a former captain, that stung like heck to realise he had not been good enough this time.

His footsteps crunched in the snow as he walked through the glade, a basket of his own slung over his shoulder. Spotting Wessex, he spared the greeting and merely moved to kneel with her, beginning to pull at the snow moss from the places that her methodical hands could not quite reach.

Bundled against the cold and very much alive with emotion, the two could not have been more opposite. ”I know you invited me here, but I need to say something first,” he murmured, voice muffled against his scarf. ”I’m going to step down from my post. I hope you don’t consider it abandoning you, given that I haven’t been particularly present in some time. I get it though, if you’re angry.”
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Well. He’s quick, isn’t he? Whatever the Queen might have said or done or wanted to say or do is irrelevant now as she is faced with this abdication.

Sitting back on her heels, Wessex wipes a stray strand of hair from her face with the back of a dirty hand and looks at Ronin with a wry expression, dryly greeting him after that sudden announcement. “Hey Ronin, nice to see you too. You’re looking much better.”

Tilting her head to one side in thought, she chooses not to hold back. “I hope you’re not doing this because of some sense of guilt for not being around. I can manage fine on my own, of course - will need to set up some advisors and shit like that after LongNight, and you are by no means abandoning me- but make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons. Getting blighted wasn’t exactly your fault.” It was hers. Technically. Well, not hers if she understands the Goddess-Demi-God relationship, but nonetheless.

The ‘I’ve failed you, I’m a terrible leader, you’re better off without me,’ crap? Nah. That doesn’t fly. That’s just self-flagellation at its finest and Wessex would rather see him do shit to make up for it than step aside, if that’s what’s at the core of his decision.

WESSEX
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Depositing a few clumps of snow moss into the basket (he had been diligently gathering it while he spoke to get the words out properly), Ronin sat back on his heels as well, a wry smile tugging at his lips. ”Thanks. Apparently sleeping outside and eating raw meat takes a toll on the ol’ charm,” he muttered, reaching out to pull up more snow moss.

His brow furrowed as she spoke - he knew what she was saying, and were it just a bit of guilt for not being around... yeah, it wold be a shitty reason to leave. ”It’s not that,” he said, shrugging. ”This was a role that was given to me in a vote. I was asked to step up - I never chose this. I think I’m finally ready to admit that and put things right.”

He sighed a cold breath out into the air. ”Besides, I think the Hollowed Grounds is more divided with two leaders. However much we work together, it will never be as effective as one leader with a reliable group of advisors around them. You were born here - I was just dropped in. It should be you.”
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

Oh yes, she remembers those days, coming back crabby from a night of no sleep and no meat to show for it - just a crampy body and a vicious temper. Nevertheless, the corners of her mouth quirk into a small smile.

Again that pesky little vote comes up, and while Wessex refrains from asking exactly what happened, her thoughts still go there. She’d asked for this every step of the way, and now she’s finally getting it. And woe is her, she’s not entirely sure how she’s going to actually do it. Especially with opposition at every corner and the portal in the back of her mind. “I appreciate that. There was some definite 'I only follow King Ronin’ bullshit thrown around while you were indisposed.” without naming names, he might be able to imagine one or two people who might have said such a thing. The funny thing is that ’her’ followers probably wouldn’t do the reverse.

“But before you put your full confidence in me, know that there is a portal open. In what was the Mathair. It’s probably going to be a big clusterfuck of a problem after LongNight. The Ascended did it, and a couple of Fae died in the process. I gave them an opportunity to talk instead of fighting, but -” she shrugs. It was their choice. She tried. “It’s not a great situation, but I’ll be damned if we stay in this shithole for the rest of my hopefully very long life.”

WESSEX
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
Ronin winced at her words, not because he didn’t like to hear them, but because he knew them to be true. Division among a people that needed every ounce of teamwork it could get - it was no way to unite the Hollowed Grounds. ”That’s unfortunate... I’ll make it clear that I’m in support of your rule when I step down - not that words have ever done much to quell rebellion in the blood.” He should know, having defied the Storm Army time and time again.

He did his best to look taken aback at the mention of the portal, but of course he already knew - and if Wessex looked closely she would likely notice. It wasn’t too difficult to figure out; an Ascended lived under his roof and was close with his husband. Go figure. ”I would rather hope you’d commit to making the Grounds less of a shithole, given that you’re ruling it,” he said with a crooked grin, though he fully understood having itchy feet. More so for Wessex than for himself, given his only brief enclosure within the barrier.

”Something to reconsider after LongNight maybe. Let me know if you want or need any help in the talks with the Fae. Or anything else, I suppose.” Really, the only thing left to decide was whether to announce his abdication before or after darkness fell.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

Well this has all been… surprisingly easy. Is there a catch? It feels like there should be an catch, but everything that comes out of Ronin's mouth is supportive, so Wessex finds herself oddly at ease. "No, it won't. But at least there's no other universally appealing figure to rally behind. Yet." And until they find someone willing to step up and take the reins, the Queen imagines her position is safe. At least for the next couple of weeks. She will never be universally appealing, but hey, you can't make everyone happy. It's just not her style, you know?

"I'll do my best," she says with a grim smile. Before she leaves to conquer Halo, or whatever it is the Voice has in mind. The people here - her people - deserve something more than a shithole for surviving against all odds. But will she continue to be the best person to run it?

Her basket is full now, so Wessex stands and brushes the snow and dirt specks from her trousers, then looks to the former King with a soft expression. "I hope you're happier, Ronin. And would welcome any support you feel like giving. I'm trying to walk the ruling and running a place line more carefully, but I won't lie, it's hard when you've got the fear of becoming like Zariah for being to harsh on one side and being a pushover for being too kind on the other." Mistakes will be made. She's not infallible, even though she would like to believe that's the case.

"Would you mind announcing it before LongNight? Just to have it settled and done with." And so she can have complete authority if the shit hits the fan.

WESSEX
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
It had been easy, and Ronin also found himself looking for the catch; then again, perhaps he had been naive to think that Wessex wouldn’t be ready to hit the ground running with his decision. She had already been doing it even before now (granted, it had not entirely been his choice with the blight). ”Yet,” he agreed with a sudden and boyish smile. ”And here is hoping that it stays this way for a while. Let’s pretend that you didn’t call me universally appealing though, shall we? It does nothing for my ego.”

This all felt like letting out a breath that he had been holding for some time, and Ronin nodded with genuine understanding as Wessex said she would do her best. It was all they could do, any of them. Rising to his feet as well, his basket as full as he could make it during their conversation, Ronin smiled at the now one and only ruler of the Hollowed Grounds. ”I am happier, truly. And walking that line will always be difficult - starting with a group of charismatic advisors to filter your ideas down to the people might help.” He winked.

As for announcing it before LongNight? Ronin nodded. ”Consider it done. I’ll hold the fort at the guild during LongNight too, as planned. Consider it a last hurrah.”
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

One last hurrah. Great. She feels very reassured. "Be the sensible one over there. Not every personal reason is worth it. And I don't want to know what they're doing or what's going on outside unless the Temple needs to take them in." she murmurs with a shake of her head. Because then she doesnt have to do anything about it and she can be guilt free for not stopping it. It's easier to speak in vague terms, not to use names because she simply doesn't know, and like she said, for once doesn't want to know.

"Have an easy LongNight." The Queen will see him on the other side.

WESSEX