A New and Brighter Birth (OPEN)
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

Abasi could not bring himself to walk up the altar at the head of the temple. Not after his silent rejection last time, or the title forced upon him by this place: Abandoned. A cruel name, one that he could not understand what he had done to deserve. To not even have a chance with the Gods here, to be immediately cast out: it hurt.

His fingers linger over the backs of seats as he wandered aimlessly about, his body tense with the chill. While he didn't like to think too much about other's opinions, he had enough concerns about his dignity to not walk around with a blanket wrapped around his arms here.

At least there was one advantage to his 'Abandoned' status, he supposed. He had the ability to make things, something he would have killed for in his previous life. He looked down his palm held in front of him, where he concentrated until there was a brooch, bent metal with a golden brush holding coloured glass and stones, in the shape of snake. The appearance of the object and it's familiarity gave him a reason to smile, something he was lacking these days.

With his brooch made he leaned back to sit on one of the seats and fiddle with it in his hand, softly singing under his breath a prayer to Osiris, wishing he was in the temple back home.

Or so I've been told
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
I believe that the darkness reminds us where light can be
Even Phoebe needed a bit of a break from the dark halls of the College. She had brought the boys out to walk around – the new rule being a hand on Pim at all times. Which Pim didn’t mind, it meant he knew where the defenseless hatchlings were at all times. All the better to protect them! And the boys were willing to do just about anything to walk around and see something other than dark, boarded up walls.

But as they walked about, Phoebe noticed someone sitting alone. Worrying something may have happened, she told Pim to keep the boys distracted and quiet, before walking up to the figure on the bench. ”Excuse me…are you alright?” the blonde said, tilting her head slightly.
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

The voice made Abasi look up from his brooch and he tightened his fingers around it, protective of the object for reasons he wasn't quite sure of. He stared at Phoebe a little lost, taking time to piece together the words.

"Yes. I am not dead, which makes me rather fortunate, as far as I understand." He looked towards the door, imagining a scene of absolute carnage behind it. "I am simply...well. Bored and tired of the anticipation waiting for something to happen. There has certainly been enough talk of this time." Abasi did not care for over-drawn dramatics, so he hoped that at least some of the tales would come true.

Before the Blight, he would have ended the conversation there and made it clear he did not want to hear any more, but he was trying his best to be...perhaps not friendlier, but more courteous. "Have you been here for one of these...long nights? I believe they are called...before?"

Or so I've been told
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Oh, he must be fairly new. Phoebe smiled at him warmly and nodded. ”Indeed, most do consider it a positive to be alive, as hard as life might be sometimes.” she said lightly, clasping her hands behind her. ”But if you are bored now, I might suggest you learn to embrace it quickly. If you knew the sorts of things going on outside, you would not be so quick to wish for evidence of it.” she said, a hint of experience in her voice.

A hint. Hah. She had enough experience from last LongNight to be a near expert.

’Yes, this period of time is called LongNight.” she said with a nod. ”And yes, I have. Last year in fact. It was…horrifying.” she said softly, a bit of a haunted look casting over her usually warm honeyed gaze. But she pulled herself back together quickly, shaking her head with a sigh and smiling at him again. ”My name is Phoebe, by the way. I am the local midwife and Dean of the Medical College.” she said.
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
Familiar faces were all around. Oliver remembered his discussion with Sunjata, that he would try his best to befriend others considering he would be stuck inside with these people for a week. It was a bit hard, though. How was he supposed to approach someone and just begin a conversation?

Luckily, after a small bit of wandering, Oliver saw a familiar face having a discussion with another person. It didn't look too serious and they were in a rather public area, so hopefully they wouldn't mind him coming up and joining in on them.

Walking up, Oliver smiled to Phoebe. "Long time no see, nice to have you here in the temple." The blonde then turned to look at Abasi and raised an eyebrow. "My name is Oliver, sorry to butt in. I hope I'm not interrupting anything too important? Just wanted to talk to some people..." Wow, he couldn't have said that any awkwarder. Things were clearly only going to get a whole lot worse as time progressed and people grew more restless.
a disaster!
a massive mess
trying to not die
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

"I am more than used to boredom." Abasi almost snapped, his voice only just caught back into pleasantness through sheer power of will. He had spent many hours back home sat in temples meditating, and as much as he wanted to tell everyone he had spent every moment in rigorous prayer, connected in peace to divine beings...he had sometimes counted the cracks in the walls.

Like everyone else, she seemed to have some horrific memories of this time. Abasi was surprised to hear she was a leader (he assumed that was what a Dean was) of a college at her age; he had hardly begun his training as a teenager. "A midwife...do you tell the fortunes of the babies born here?" He would love to have someone give him some star-brought wisdom; preferably from someone more qualified, but here a midwife might have to do.

Before he could introduce himself, a second person appeared. He tried not to let his distaste for this show, but it was hard to force himself to smile again; instead he kept his mouth a neutral line. "Hello. I am Abasi--" He nodded to both Oliver and Phoebe. "--And no, nothing important. Just...trying to pass the time. I was..." He looked behind his shoulder at the altar, unsure if it was wise to mention it. "Wondering if anyone prayed, during this darkness."

Or so I've been told
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe raised a brow at the slight shift in his tone, tilting her head slightly in curiosity. But of course, at the sound of an angry tone towards his companion, Pim was quick to come, the pink dragonling slinking over to her side. He looked up at Abasi with a wide, silvery pink eye, lips curled to show his pearlescent fangs. She simply patted the dragonling's head. "I see. I apologize, I did not intend to offend you." she said softly.

His question about reading futures almost made her laugh, but she simply smiled. "I do know the old divining methods, yes, though not many have requested it as of late. Do you have an expecting partner?" she asked, assuming he wished for such a ritual for an unborn child. Phoebe thought they were ridiculous rituals but she was glad to perform them for those who found comfort in them.

A familiar face approached though, and she smiled at him warmly. "Hello, Oliver. You've been doing well, I hope?" she said in her soft manner. "Oh, yes, please feel free to join." she said, steppimg sideways a bit so he could feel included.

Honeyed eyes glanced towards the shrine as Abasi mentioned it, and she grew a bit somber. "Yes, people do. I did so last year, but I would not bother the gods at this time unless you've something very specific to ask. Ludo is undoubtedly busy collecting souls lost in the darkness to take them to Mort. I imagine this time of mass death is particularly difficult for Safrin and Vi. And Rae and Frey...well. Rae isn't chatty and my dear friend Frey simply doesn't like their time wasted." she said with a light laugh.
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver had taken notice of the slight change of expression from the man. It wasn't exactly a welcoming sign, but it was too late for him to walk away, especially now that he had chosen to introduce himself. He was stuck in this for the long haul.

"Yeah, I've been doing well. I finally got a place to stay, met some more people."

He'd make sure to take note of the other man's name, even if the other was far less than excited to have him around. Who knows, maybe he's just stressed about the whole LongNight thing. Oliver would try his best not to judge him. Things were already getting weird and it'd be bad to create an enemy so early on into their stay.

The blonde remained silent as Phoebe spoke about the gods. Things started to make sense. What if that was why the gods didn't respond to his recent prayers? They could just be super busy due to LongNight! That means that once LongNight ends, the gods would be available to answer his questions. He'd have to figure out a specific god, of course, and research what each one could help him out with. After all, the Frey fellow didn't like their time being wasted, so he'd have to make sure he used it wisely and appropriately.

"You know so much about the gods, Phoebe. If you could teach me more later, that'd be fantastic." However, he didn't want to waste the time of the other man. That'd be unfair and rude.

Turning to look over at Abasi, Oliver offered a warm, friendly smile. He needed to say something conversational, friendly. Show Abasi he was a nice person and that they could have a fun conversation...or something. "Sorry for that. There are many places we can pray, from what I know. However, they don't always respond, so like Phoebe said, don't be too sad if they don't respond." He was partially saying it to himself.
a disaster!
a massive mess
trying to not die
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

Abasi did not react to Phoebe's apology (he was not offended, he just...he wasn't sure, really) but he did look down in surprise to the beast that came up. After Loren's tamed Luxere he supposed he should not be surprised, but it still shocked him to see creatures that would have been purely myth in his old world casually turn up here.

An expecting partner. His mouth pulled into an awkward straight line, both embarrassed that she thought he was asking for a child and that he had simply never thought he could have something like a pregnant lover. "No. Where I came from, those who read the stars for children would also do the same for adults. I was hoping you might..." He waved his hand vaguely towards himself, too embarrassed to finish asking.

It seemed Oliver and Phoebe knew each other. Abasi wondered if his Blight right after arriving (and not at all his stand-offishness, of course) had hindered his social growth here. All that meant though, if it were true, was that he had to put in more effort now. He tried to add to the conversation with the little he knew, unawares he was about to step into a theological minefield.

"And what about The Voice? I've heard she is another God in this place? Does she speak to those who pray?" Would she speak to an Abandoned like me? He wondered privately but did not say, still scared to reveal that status.

Or so I've been told
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"Oh, that's wonderful! I am so glad for you." Phoebe said to Oliver, tone bright and encouraging. It was hard to get back on your feet after arriving here, especially if you knew no one.

It took Phoebe a moment to catch on to what Abasi wanted, because it was very strange to her to give such a reading to an adult. But she smiled warmly when she did, laughing lightly. "I will be honest, I've never done one for an adult, but I am certainly willing to try if it would help you in any way." she said. It wasn't like they were terribly difficult to do after all. It would certainly help pass the time.

"I am always happy to share what I know of the gods here. It is better to know as much as you can before approaching any of them anyways or you risk offending them." she said to Oliver. But the question about the Voice gave her pause. "She only appears at very specific shrines, and this is not one of them." she said quietly. "Nor is she part of the same group as Rae and Frey and the rest. She is called a New God and the others the Old Gods. She is the goddess of the Ascended...and she is the reason this land and the Greatwood were blighted. I would not advise seeking her out if I were you." she said gently.
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Phoebe seemed so genuine. The little time he had spent with her was already incredible. It was something that Oliver wished some people, like Loren, could be. To see someone so genuinely sweet and caring just made him happy.

Oliver didn't have much experience with any of the things currently being asked about, so he remained quiet. However, he did start to drift off a small bit with the talk of reading stars for adults. He wasn't sure what it meant but it sounded like something Abasi cared a lot about. Rather than saying random stuff, he started to drift away. Eventually, his eyes landed on the ground where he noticed a small pink creature. With eyes wide, Oliver stared down at it. It was only when they started talking about the Voice that Oliver looked back up.

At least Phoebe seemed willing to inform him about the gods. And hey, maybe his lack of knowledge was the reason why they ignored him! Maybe once he learned all about them and brought in the special offerings, he'd finally get a response. The Voice didn't seem like the safest bet and Safrin already had ignored him, that left him with very few options. "What about Rae and Frey? I tried- er, my friend tried contacting Safrin with me, but unfortunately we didn't get a response. And they've met before, so I don't think Safrin really wants to talk to me.." Oliver thought a silent apology, hoping the god wouldn't be too mad at him for saying such a thing.

"Do you think if I- or I mean, Abasi or I brought the right offerings and did the right things, that Frey or Rae would answer to us?" If not, were there other gods that'd possibly answer him? Oliver wouldn't take up Abasi's time by asking his personal questions, but he knew what he'd be asking Phoebe in private.
a disaster!
a massive mess
trying to not die
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

"I will consider it then." Abasi told Phoebe of her divining, though he was leaning towards a no. Her smile made him feel like he was being pitied for his belief, his asking for something designed for a baby. Later, perhaps, when he was once again desperate for some direction, he would probably come back around.

Oliver asked if they brought the right offerings, said the right words, would it make a difference? Abasi nearly laughed; he had taken the best he could find in this place, said all the things that had worked for the Gods in his world (and therefore were certainly good enough for the Gods of this place) and he had not even gotten one word. He said nothing though, quiet throughout Phoebe's answer and Oliver's further questions.

He did have one of his own, though. If this girl knew so much about the Gods. "These Gods, you speak of them fondly, yet. People come into this world already 'Abandoned' without even having a chance to prove themselves. How can that be fair or right?" Truthfully his Gods had not always been righteous, but at least he'd felt like people had a chance.

Or so I've been told
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"Of course! If I am not at the College I am likely at the Infirmary...and once LongNight ends I will likely be at my clinic in town." she said with a soft smile and a nod, letting him know where to look if he decided he wanted some kind of look at his future. Meanwhile, as Oliver stared at Pim, the dragonling looked up at him. Slowly he blinked his silvery pink eyes, the clear protective lid clicking as it closed just before the fleshy one. Then the creature hummed a grumble at him. He was clearly no thread. Fangless-clawless-bugeyed-human-male.

As Oliver spoke, Phoebe glanced back over at him. "I would not take the lack of an appearance by the gods so personally, Oliver. They are immortal beings who created this world, and we are but little specks on their radar. Quite the opposite, to receive their audience is a blessing, and to receive it with any frequency is earned through favor and time." she said with a small smile. Frey didn't show up every time she went to give them offerings. More often than not they didn't. The deity seemed to have a knack of knowing when they were truly needed and when she simply was paying her respects.

"An appropriate offering might please them, yes, but it doesn't guarantee they will show up. They are busy with task beyond our understanding. It is important to keep that in mind." she said, almost chiding Oliver a bit. It was very egotistical to assume that just because you brought the right things and asked for their presence that the gods would show up. It wasn't an insult, there was simply a layer of complexity - the gods had to prioritize after all. If they didn't show, something else was simply more important. "That said, Frey does seem to be an active presence, and they are a dear friend of mine, but I would not seek them out unless you've something of interest to them to discuss. They can be frightening if they are irked." she cautioned. The last thing she wanted to hear was some man bumbling off to Frey, getting all excited about the implications of their domain, and walking out cursed because they were perceived as rude.

Honeyed eyes turned to Abasi again, and she tilted her head slightly. "Fairness...is subject to one's own viewpoint. What we consider fair and what they consider fair is very different. But...I agree, it is unfair that the mistakes of others have caused those with magic to be Abandoned. That said, it doesn't mean there isn't a chance. It is a hurdle, perhaps, a difficulty to overcome, but it isn't impossible. I've friends who are abandoned who have seen and spoken with the gods. I've even heard of the gods making an Abandoned into an Attuned, which overcomes the lack of favor they otherwise had." she said and smiled a bit. "There is always a chance. We can let set backs destroy us or make us better. This is a lesson Frey has taught me."
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
The creature was intriguing. He officially decided that he'd ask to pet it once things calmed down. Maybe that could be saved, once again, for when Abasi wasn't there. No way did Abasi want to waste time watching Oliver ask stupid questions about the gods and ask to pet a cute little pink...thing.

Phoebe's words didn't reassure him, unfortunately. There was confusion in his voice and he spoke slowly. Like he was trying to comprehend the idea of Phoebe being correct. "But I don't understand...so many people I know have super deep connections to the gods. It seems like less of a blessing and more of just being good enough for them..." Perhaps he just wasn't good enough for them to show up. Why would a god show up for a blonde haired freak who couldn't even remember what his favorite color was?

Oliver shook his head and continued on with speaking. He sounded sure of himself, like this was the answer to why he had been ignored. "There has to be something wrong with what I did." Or wrong with me. "I even went with someone who was fucking kissed by a god...and they still ignored us. There's more than just them being free...either I'm not good enough or I didn't bring good enough of an offering." Oliver couldn't realize how egotistical and narcissistic he was being at this time.

Turning to look at Abasi he frowned. "Sorry for that...and I'm sorry about you know, the gods disliking the abandoned. If it makes you feel any better, I have no magic and I'm still ignored." Was it a joke? Oliver's voice wouldn't show it. He sounded more awkward when he said it, uncomfortable that he wasn't good enough for them. He already had no memory so it hurt even more to know that the gods hated him. Not to mention he was extremely useless.

Turning to look at Phoebe, there was still a frown on his face. "Do you think...someday a god will come to me? How do I know if it's good enough?" By the sound of his voice, it was obvious there was more Oliver wanted to ask, but that was for a different time. Abasi didn't need to hear about his memory problems or what exactly he desired from the gods.

"And what do Abasi and I do for the time being?" Oliver wasn't sure about Abasi, but he knew he himself was useless. All Oliver wanted was something he could do. To be told he had his place in life.
a disaster!
a massive mess
trying to not die