Beginning Bonds
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN
you'll never settle any of your scores
your grace is wasted in your face
Bastien stayed sat in the infirmary for a while after Loren had healed him.

He didn't want to go back out into the temple, where he suspected people might want him to explain his trip outside to them - one round of interrogation from Loren had been enough for the moment and all he wanted to do was put his head in his hands and scream, wait for the time to pass until Rexanna appeared.

He had seen her wounded before, after the fight she'd had at the Outskirts. Then he had kept a brave face, gotten her bathed and in bed until she healed, but it had scared him. Now, when he knew the monsters outside would kill without a second thought? He berated himself for not trying to stop her.

But that wasn't how their relationship worked; he had never been interested in holding her down. It was just hard to deal with the not knowing. With a heavy sigh he sunk down further, curling up on the bench and praying to The Voice in his mind with a passion he'd never held before for begging.
your boldness stands alone
among the wreck
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Age: 23 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
Clemente
To say Clem is frightened is an understatement. He had come into the Guild already fearful of these monsters the citizens had spoken of. He'd had no such experiences in his home world, and seeing how quickly everything is going to hell only rattles him further. And to top it all off with a wonderful, blood-soaked cherry, the two people he trusted and was beginning to bond with had been the ones to go venturing stupidly out into the night. Rexanna's assurances had done nothing to soothe him, and he'd spent hours rubbing his fingers frantically over the eclipse on the bracelet she had given him. Praying to Gods he'd never met, with names he didn't know, that they would return safely.

Well, one had returned. Safely? Not so much.

He had stayed out of the way, equally frightened and unwilling to get underfoot, but Clemente had shadowed every movement. Waited until Loren was done patching up Bastien, and had left the infirmary, before he even dared to approach. And here he is, silently approaching the infirmary door, slipping inside with a hesitance he can't hide. Clem isn't sure how much Bastien likes him considering how much of an asshole he'd been to Amun - not that he regrets that thank you very much - but Bastien had given Clem something he'd never had before. A creative, positive outlet. An experience he would never have had otherwise. To Clem, that means the world. And he cares for the man, not just because of that but because of his attachment to Rexanna. And frankly he's worried. This world is cruel and harsh in ways he's not used to.

He sees Bastien's form curled up on the bench, approaches quietly but not employing total silence lest he startle the man and aggravate his injuries. One hand is still desperately clasped to his bracelet as he sidles up to the bench, wishing he could do the same. "Bastien?" It's no more than a whisper. He doesn't look asleep, or what their kind count as sleep, but Clem doesn't want to risk it anyway. "Are you okay? Did that guy help you?" His voice wavers and breaks on the first question, revealing his concern far too plainly.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
As Bastien heard someone approach, his first reaction was to want to sit up and ask to be left alone, but when he raised his head and saw Clem, the shy and unsure boy Rexanna had taken in...he didn't have it in his heart to send him away. Not when he knew Clem looked up to Rexanna almost as a mother already and he knew the boy had to be hurting in much the same way he was.

"I will be fine. The leg is...ah, not perfect, but I expected that to happen with age anyway." Admittedly not quite so soon, and not now that he'd Ascended, but he didn't want to worry Clem. "Loren did indeed help. With a Unicorn, which would be a far more wondrous thing were I not in the mood I am."

He patted the bench next to him, indicating Clem could sit down. "What is more worrying than my leg is the state of our dear lady Rexanna, which we cannot know until she returns - which is, I'm sure, why we have not heard yet." He couldn't consider any other possibilities.
among the wreck
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Age: 23 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Clemente
Clem lingers a few feet from the man, unsure, until he sits up and twists to look at him. Then he's shuffling closer, almost frantic, needing visual confirmation that Bastien is okay. His eyes dart down to the leg in question when Bastien mentions it, and though he's used to seeing surface injuries, just the thought is enough to have his gaze quickly skirting away. Healed or not, the idea of what monster could have created that wound makes him feel ill.

"Maybe you can get a cool walking stick?" His voice still trembles a little, but if he can make the man feel a little bit better with his weak humor, it will be a comfort. Though his eyes do go wide, childish and wondering, at the idea of a unicorn. "Woah, those are real?" Clem didn't want to have to meet one by being injured, but it's certainly going on his bucket list now.

The boy scuttles forward as soon as the wordless offer is made, folding his long limbs onto the bench beside Bastien. Close enough to touch, but withholding just barely from doing so. Still unsure of his reception, his welcome. But then Rexanna is mentioned, and the reminder that she's out there with the monsters that had already hurt Bastien makes his breaths hiccup immediately with stubbornly restrained tears. "What if she's not okay? Can they heal her too? Can her uh...can her goddess help?" Desperation coats every word, eyes bright with unshed tears that make his vision swim as his fingers clutch desperately at the charm on the bracelet she had given him.

It's a terrible time to realize he already loves her, sitting here beside her injured husband while the demons howl at their doors. Knowing Rexanna is out there with them, at their mercy, and he - useless child that he is - can do nothing to save her. Sitting vigil with her beloved, prepared to have what little stability he has earned ripped away in one fell swoop.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"I'm sure one of the crafters in the market could make one for me. Though I'm hoping I may heal further, once I've seen The Voice." Bastien reached down to touch his leg absentmindedly, stroking his hand up it; he could not feel any evidence of the injury now but he felt it when he walked, making him lean ever so slightly to one side. "It would appear unicorns are real - it was a surprise to me, too."

He could only hope Rexanna had made it out of the trip unhurt (hahahahaha). If she was taken from he supposed he'd probably have to take over responsibility for Clem, however much that was. Bastien sighed at the sound of oncoming tears and briefly put an arm around him, patting his arm to comfort.

"We must believe she is alright until we know different, or we risk falling into unnecessary despair." Bastien's voice was calming, sure, but really he felt like letting himself get into plenty of despair. Still, at least he knew they were both looked after by the same Goddess. Speaking of...

"Your Goddess too. You are one of us." He squeezed Clem then moved his arm away. "The Voice does care for us, yes. I am sure if she can, she will help Rexanna. Have you ever spoken to her...?"
among the wreck
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Change author:
Clemente
"She would do that for you?" Clem doesn't know much about gods, there was next to nothing by way of faith on the streets. He'd gone to churches for handouts, had half-listened to their preaching as he warmed up beneath their roof, but he could not imagine anyone - much less a powerful deity - being so benevolent without being promised something in return. He folds his long legs beneath him as Bastien speaks, huffing a weak laugh at the shared thoughts regarding unicorns. "This place just keeps gettin' weirder and weirder. At least unicorns are cooler than monsters."

Bastien's arm moves around him, and Clem leans into the man's torso, taking the physical comfort he so desperately needs while it's offered. Physical affection was not something he'd ever really had in life, but he had taken to it like a duck to water when Rexanna had introduced him to it. Touch-starved, if he knew the term at all. He swallows down his tears, nodding as Bastien comforts him with advice that helps calm his nerves. The squeeze and release is like a reset button for Clem, who forces his hands to unclench from his bracelet and lays them flat on his thighs.

"No, I haven't. 'm kinda thinkin' she won't like me," he murmurs, imparting this secret with utmost care. Idly sweeps a thumb across his pants, watches the path it takes so he doesn't have to look Bastien in the eye and forces his face to remain neutral. "I'm not all cool like you guys are. But maybe she'll come for Rexanna if she's hurt, and I can see her then?" It's a pathetic diversion, hoping that it wouldn't happen either way so that he could postpone meeting the Voice for a little longer.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Yes. The Voice has given me and Rexanna a great many gifts." As much as Bastien was more distant from The Voice than his Ascended companions, he had a respect for her. She seemed to understand what it meant to adopt people into her care, seemed to genuinely want to look after them.

He could feel as he held the boy the way he leaned close and it made Bastien wonder just what he had missed in his life. Rexanna had not told him much, but he knew Clem had seen some hard times. Bastien watched the way he laid his hands in his lap and sighed, not ready to talk about the kid's life right now - later, perhaps, he could invite him over to paint.

"Why would she not? But yes, if you want to come with me and Rexanna when we go to see her, you could. We could introduce you." He gave Clem a kind smile. "You will find her quite radiant, I am sure. The first time I saw her I was almost knocked over with the light. She gave me this, then." He tapped the side of his neck, where the metal moon, strangely not too at odds with his skin, resided.
among the wreck
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Change author:
Clemente
Clem's face twists uncomfortably at the question, flaxen eyes darting away, recalcitrant. He doesn't like to be pitied, likes even less when people try to tell him he's worth more than he thinks. They're usually wrong, or just plain suckers moved to ephemeral empathy when confronted with an orphan. Though Rexanna and Bastien were different. They were like glue, sticking stubbornly to Clem, and he found he didn't mind.

"Well like...she didn't even meet me 'fore she met me," he confesses stiltedly. "What if she regrets it? 'm not cool and powerful like all of you." He is just a bratty kid. And nobody likes those. But his expression turns grateful at the offer of being introduced, a little smile finally returning and growing brighter and more hopeful as Bastien continues, fingers displaying the jewelry in his neck. Clem marvels at it for a moment before settling, pressing not so subtly against Bastien's side. "She sounds really cool. I'd like to go with you to meet her." Clem's not sure he'd ever gather the courage to do so on his own. But he leans into Bastien, enjoying the quiet, the pressure at his side that lets him know the man is alive and safely back inside.