{SEASONAL EVENT} offshoots
For Peter
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
There was clearly something unnatural about the mud that seemed to coat everything. Well, maybe unnatural was the wrong world, given Caido’s proclivity to spit out the strangest things. However, it was definitely something more than normal mud. After cleaning what he could from the inside of the Manor—a thankless task, given how it oozed back into place and managed to get into the most unlikely of places—Loren had gone to the outside of the building to see what he could do about the facade.

First, though, he decided to learn what he could about the mud itself. While he didn’t have the tools (or the inclination or temperament) to do a thorough study, he could at least play around with it. Kneeling down, he poked at a large patch of it, uncaring of how dirty he would get. He was already coated with the stuff from the cleaning, and seeing as he’d been a farmer a little bit of dirt never deterred him.

Honestly, very little deterred the Launceleyn when he set his mind to something. It was a feature and a bug.

Weirdly enough, it had very similar properties to memory snow. At the very least, it returned to its former shape if left unchecked. And seeing as all the snow had melted into the water that caused the mud, the summoner couldn’t help but wonder if this was some lingering magic from Deepfrost that had sank into the mixture of water and earth. He frowned as he considered the problem, prodding the mud all the while.

Peter
look at how a single candle can both
defy and define the darkness
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87

Peter had spent a long time away from the manor, only partially by choice. He still had a bed there, he assumed, and family, at least a little. Maybe it was his time away, or his promise to Loren, but something drew Peter back to the large house, and it's imposing grounds, after a short detour to steal borrow some supplies from a farmhouse who's owner was nowhere to be seen.

By the time he actually reached the grounds, he was covered in mud, his legs caked with the muck, and struggling, a bag full of tools and seeds weighing him down more than the bony creature he carried in his arms. Apricum at least, didn't add too much to his load. To his dismay, there was yet more mud in the courtyard, but, like a ray of light, or, maybe more aptly, a sprout, pushing out from the slick ground, there was Loren. Peter had hoped he'd see his (cousin? brother?) kin at the manor, but not so soon, and not without having to look, at least a little.

"Loren!" Peter called, loud enough to be heard. He found a patch that seemed solid to set Apricum down on, and slogged through the last bit of mud separating him and the other man. There were a dozen things he wanted to say, questions and concerns bubbling up in his throat and sabotaging each other like crabs in a bucket, until he was standing directly in front of the other man, and still not speaking.

Peter swallowed, then nodded, more to himself than Loren, and tried again, more simply this time. "Hello. You... you're okay." After so many others getting injured to some degree or another, himself included (though his injuries had been mild compared to what he'd seen) it was good to see the summoner so whole and hale.
PETER
I always thought I might be bad
Now I'm sure that it's true
'cause I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
At the other man’s voice, Loren glanced up. He’d been so engrossed in examining the mud—picking it up, squeezing it, watching it ooze back into place and in directions that it absolutely shouldn’t—that he hadn’t been paying attention to the rest of his surroundings. Indeed, the first he’d noticed was the sound. However, it was just Peter. The summoner gave the adopted Launceleyn a gentle smile. ”Hello Peter. It’s good to see you!” The very fact that the other man was coming to the Manor now meant he’d probably stopped somewhere else first.

However, that train of thought was derailed when the summoner saw the bones walking around; his eyes widened as shock coursed through him. He’d heard about the creature Peter had bonded, but seeing was believing. Astra, sensing his surprise, trotted out from the side of the Manor where she’d been doing her own investigation of the mud. However, she stopped dead in her tracks, nostrils flaring, as she saw the undead luxere. Neither Loren nor his companion knew what to make of it.

Shaking his head, he returned his gaze to the adopted Launceleyn, the smile returning to the summoner’s lips. ”More than okay. Glad to be alive.” The kind expression grew a tinge of concern. ”How about you? I was worried when I didn’t see you at the Temple, since everyone else from the Manor was there. And then I heard you went out in the darkness and faced the monsters and bonded your, uh, new friend there. And then the Guild burned down…” Loren trailed off before clearing his throat, picking up a handful of mud to hide the embarrassed look in his eyes. ”All that is to say, are you okay? Do you need any healing?” Perhaps the summoner should’ve started with that.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Peter cocked his head, confused by the smile directed at him, what it could mean. It took him a moment to pull himself back from that instinct, to remember that Loren didn’t have to have an ulterior motive, he didn’t have to pick apart the smile. It could just mean the other man was happy to see him. A small, shy smile graced Peters face then, matching Loren’s. ”It is. I mean, to... to see you too.” He set his bag down then, the fabric sinking into the mud, then pulled out a trowel, rusty and worn, but still serviceable.

When he looked back up at Loren, there was a strange look on his face, and he was looking past Peter, towards something. Peter turned, seeing only Apricum, then looked back to Loren, blue meeting blue. ” This is... this is Apricum, and finding it uh... it wasn’t that bad.” Not as bad as it could have been, at any rate. And then the guild. Peters face darkened, and he was glad the other Launceleyn seemed as reluctant to meet his eyes as he felt. He had wanted to help. ”I’m okay. Not hurt.” These words came out a little more strained, but Peter tried to hide it by turning again, and digging a smaller bag out of the one he brought, this one rustling softly.

”I... found some seeds. I don’t really... know what they are, but... but I thought it might be nice to grow things here.” Peter glances back at Loren as he explained why he was there, looking for some kind of approval for the idea. ”I’ve um... not a lot grew, where I was before? So... I wanted to try.”
PETER
And I'm nothing like you
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Peter smiled back, Loren’s own grin widened briefly. It stayed there as the other man brought out a trowel. Apparently, they were planting something. However, first they had to catch up on the events of LongNight. Even though Astra didn’t like this undead luxere—whose name was Apricum, apparently—the summoner was willing to give the creature a chance. Brushing the mud off his hands as best he could, the Launceleyn walked over. ”Hello Apricum. Nice to meet you.” There wasn’t any fur to pet, so he just stood awkwardly in front of it for a moment before glancing over at the adopted Launceleyn. ”How did you find it?” It seemed like quite a story.

When the other man looked away, Loren realized how critical his words must have come across. Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair (forgetting about the mud and leaving tufts sticking up) before smiling as gently as he could manage. ”I’m glad you’re okay.” His voice came out soothingly: the other man startled and got upset easily, and the summoner didn’t want his worry to drive people away ever again.

Planting some seeds around the Manor wasn’t the worst idea in the world; Loren glanced at the building, which looked imposing. ”It would be nice,” he agreed cheerfully. ”Let’s not plant them too close, though, in case it’s ivy or something invasive.” The summoner probably could’ve figured it out, since he’d been a farmer, but this was the adopted Launceleyn’s show. ”Where did you have in mind.” The summoner would be happy to help out. It would be a welcome change of pace from simply poking at the mud and seeing how it reacted.
Peter Pikely

Change author:

The undead luxere made no move as Loren moved closer to it, though Peter watched his approach, a quietly worried look on his face. It faded rather quickly though, the summoners words gentle enough that Peter and Apricum both were leased, the former letting himself smile again and the latter stretching out towards the unfamiliar Launceleyn, it’s antlered head cocking curiously to the side. Peter looked up, away from his companion when Loren spoke, meeting the other mans eyes. ”When they um... opened the doors, and let Rexanna and uh, Remi and... them in, I... heard something. But... not like, hear heard, like, um... heard.” The hand with the trowel came up to pat at his chest, mimicking a slow beat, a drum of calling. ”There was... others, and monsters, and... a big, big skeleton. It... asked a lot of questions.” He pushed them, eyes growing distant as he thought about it, before Peter shook his head and focused back on the present. ”I think... I think I answered them all right. And then... I had Apricum.”

The new softness of the other mans words seemed to throw Peter for a moment, not used to the concern, to the change in response to his own discomfort. Wide eyes moved over Loren, then the soft, almost misplaced smile came back to Peters face. ”I... I’m glad you’re okay too. I thought... well, I heard that um... things were hard in the temple too. So...” He trailed off and nodded, wanting to be past this difficult, awkward subject. Showing concern, and having someone be concerned for him, genuinely concerned, it was still so new.

His idea of planting things had been received... well, Loren seeming pleased with the idea. It put a little more wind into Peters sails, his posture straightening just a little, and he stepped closer to the summoner, offering the little sack of seeds he’d procured. ”I thought... maybe around the paths? And... where it’s just uh...” He looked around the manor grounds, trying to envision it a little drier, a little more lush. ”...where it’s just grass? I think... some of this is food, but... nothing was labelled.” Really, he had just taken a handful from each sack he’d found, not caring about mixing them, but I’m hindsight that seemed irresponsible, and Peter didn’t want to admit that he hadn’t kept things separate. He was still trying to impress Loren, in his own way.
PETER
And I'm nothing like you
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Apricum seemed...well, it seemed rather impassive, though it cocked its head to the side. Still, Peter seemed fond of his companion. Although it felt a bit weird, Loren reached out pat the creature on its skull. Hopefully that was alright. ”I heard the call as well.” However, then the summoner’s ears caught up with his mind. ”Wait, Remi was outside as well?” That was news to Loren and he frowned before shaking his head. He could deal with the judgmental alchemist later.

For now, the summoner focused fully on the adopted Launceleyn. It helped that the other man’s story was so fascinating: big skeletons asking questions wasn’t something Loren heard about every day. Only when he was sure Peter was finished did the summoner finally respond. ”Well. I’m glad it all worked out for the best.” While he could’ve berated the adopted Launceleyn for being reckless, Loren was afraid that anything critical would cause Peter to flee.

As the conversation swung around to the summoner’s LongNight, he sighed. ”They were...well. It wasn’t great. But it was nothing compared to what everyone at the Guild went through.” Cera and Ezra had died to the monsters, but only Ezra had been inside. All in all, one death they could’ve prevented wasn’t so bad, though it pained Loren to think and feel that way. It helped, though, that the rest of his experiences had been overwhelmingly positive. ”And I...it wasn’t so bad for me, personally.” He felt his cheeks flushing somewhat.

Taking the seed pouch from the other man, the summoner glanced inside. He couldn't identify anything off sight alone though. ”That sounds good to me. We’ll spread them out in patches, make sure they don’t strangle each other or the rest of the plant growth no matter what the seeds are.” This was Peter’s show, though so Loren held the bag out to the adopted Launceleyn. Besides, it might do Peter and his self-confidence some good to be in charge.

Assuming the other man took it, the summoner would lead the way down the path. Although Peter had his trowel, the mud was stubborn, and Loren had a much better tool at his disposal: periodically he blasted small holes in the ground with his water magic, shooing away any mud that tried to fill it with more of the same. His spells were enough to deter even the most stubborn clumps of mud.
Peter Pikely

Change author:

The smile on Peter's face grew wider when the other man reached out to stroke along Apricum's skull, the bones stretching out to meet the touch almost eagerly, hoofs stomping in the mud as best as they could. "I think... I think everyone heard it. But only some people wanted... wanted? Only some um, decided to go out." Then Loren perked up, frowning, and Peter cocked his head, confused. "I'm uh... I'm pretty sure it was... it was him. I think." He seemed less sure now that he'd been confronted about it, but it was only the worry about possibly being wrong. It was easier to stay focused on his story, on Apricum.

It only lasted so long though, Loren sighing, Peter shuffling his feet as the urge to try and help warred with the knowledge that he had no idea how to do that. "I tried to... tried to help the guild. The fire, and..." His lips quirked, and he looked away from Loren, shrinking away guiltily. "I-I did get hurt, um, a little, while trying to... it's nothing bad, just some... just some little scratches." He admitted, thinking back on it, the marks on his back burning, as if to make up for the time spent forgotten. Peter rolled his shoulders, trying to shake off the feeling, and pressed past it.

"Did something... good happen for you, then?" Peter asked, noticing the red spreading on the summoners cheek, and hoping he wasn't overstepping by asking. Or, even worse, that he'd mistaken the tone, the blush, and he was somehow bringing up something uncomfortable. How did people do this, honestly? Trying to work out what people meant, the constant worry that he was misunderstanding.

The hint of a frown, more confused than actually upset, lingered on Peter's face as he took the bag of seeds back, and nodded in response to the other mans words. He had thought... well, he hadn't really thought about the actual planting, just assumed that one threw them into the mud, and the rest happened naturally. "Do you... is there enough to fill in everywhere?" He asked, following Loren as he walked along the path. There was a vision in his minds eye of the grounds overgrown and wild, lush and green and alive, but he was beginning to think that maybe he should tone down his expectations.

As Loren began to blast holes into the earth and mud, Peter stood stock still, watching with interest before he looked at his trowel and shrugged, tucking it into a belt. It seemed the summoners methods were a fair bit more effective than anything he'd be able to do with the hilariously tiny shovel. Instead, he followed along behind Loren, choosing seeds mostly at random and dropping them into the holes that were made. It took him a few holes to think that he should start grouping the same seeds together, and then another few before he thought that he should be covering them. Maybe? He looked up ahead at Loren, chewing his lip for a second before asking. "They um... the seeds need dirt, or... something on top, right?"
PETER
And I'm nothing like you
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Apricum enjoyed the touch. However, Loren wasn’t sure he did. The bone was a bit too smooth for him to be fully comfortable. Thankfully, the conversation was a good distraction. It made sense that everyone heard the call: the monsters were likely trying to lure as many people to their deaths as possible. It was only sheer, dumb luck that they hadn’t suceeded and that those who’d ventured outside hadn’t perished. As for those who’d gone out for reasons other than the call (Remi, yes, but also Rexanna, Bastien, Samuel, Jigano, Kiada, Amalia, and others) the summoner wouldn’t blame Peter for their actions. ”Again, I’m glad you all made it back safe.” Even if Loren wasn’t pleased with some of their behavior, he was glad the deaths had been kept to a minimum this year.

”That’s good.” It had caught fire too quickly, from what the summoner had heard, for anyone to do anything. Thankfully, everyone had gotten out in time. As the adopted Launceleyn revealed that he’d been hurt, Loren glanced over at him. ”I can heal those, if you’d like.” Just because it was a minor injury didn’t mean he shouldn’t or couldn’t take care of them. However, if Peter wanted some nifty scars, that was fine; just because the summoner had healed his didn’t mean everyone wanted the marks of their past erased.

At the other man’s question about what had happened to Loren, his blushed deepened. ”I uh, fooled around with a few people.” Seeing as that particular topic was quite embarrassing—not that he was a prude, he just wasn’t comfortable talking about his personal life with someone who was nearly a stranger—he decided to turn the tables on the adopted Launceleyn. ”When do I get to meet your mysterious boyfriend?” They’d meet soon enough, given timelines, but no one knew that yet. Loren had heard a lot about Peter’s lover, but nothing specific, not even a name.

It was cute that the adopted Launceleyn was concerned about not having enough seeds. ”If there aren’t, or if the plants don’t grow well, we can always get more seeds.” It was Flowerbirth: seeds would be easy to come by. Then it turned out that Peter was ignorant of everything regarding plants. The summoner grinned before explaining. ”Put one seed in each hole, then cover it. Either alternate or put all the seeds in a row. Both will look pretty. No need to go back and fix the ones you’ve done, though just cover them.” The haphazard method Peter had been using wouldn’t work at all. Once they’d backtracked and all the seeds were covered, Loren would lead them forward once more, continuing to blast out small holes with his water magic.
Peter Pikely

Change author:

Peter smiled, a little anxiously, though it was more to do with residual stress from Longnight than anything Loren had done. The offer of healing was met with a quirked brow though, interest sparked on the adopted Launceleyns face. "You can heal it? Or, um... me?" A prickle of pain rolled across his shoulders again, and Peter shifted, straightening his back to try and alleviate it. It was tempting. "Would you... have to see it? What you heal?" It seemed stupid to be self conscious, but the feeling went a little deeper than logic or rational thought. He didn't want Loren to see him uncovered.

Fooled around? Peter cocked his head, confused by the phrasing, until he saw the blush spreading over the other's face and gasped, embarrassed himself now. He wouldn't have asked if he'd known what Loren meant, but... that wasn't really an excuse when he should have known. "S-sorry, I didn't mean to..." To pry, but his mumbling apology was cut off as Loren turned the situation back on him, drawing Peter's eye. Had he really not said anything to Loren? "I uh... I guess I didn't think you... I didn't think you were interested."

Talking about Adam was a welcome departure though, a topic that Peter actually found easy, relatively. "I can um... I'll bring him here, sometime. Adam. He's... nice. Easy to talk to, and... and to do thing with." A smile made it's way back to Peter's face, though his brows pulled together in worry. "He might um... be a little..." Peter's hand moved, trying to translate his thought into something sensible and failing. "He didn't like Zariah? O-or um..." The hand moved back to gesture towards the manor, the meaning hopefully a little easier to parse. He didn't think that Adam would be nasty, but... he might be something.

It was not at all surprisingly to learn that he wasn't doing this planting thing correctly. It had turned into a boon to have Loren, and his knowledge around, even with the embarrassment and shame that came from having to be corrected. At least it was a mistake easily fixed, and made fairly early on. "I've never done... done anything like this before." Peter said softly, once they'd started going down the line again. As if that wasn't already clear. "Before, um, where I came from, it was just.. sand, and dead things. And a city. Nothing green."
PETER
And I'm nothing like you
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren couldn’t remember who knew what about his magic. Apparently, Peter, despite being kin of a sort and a fellow Abandoned, didn’t know the whole scope of the summoner’s abilities (though he had a vague recollection of offering to heal a split lip). That wasn’t surprising, since when they’d sparred Loren had held back and tried to keep his full strength to himself. Plus, a lot of his abilities were new. ”I can heal you of anything short of a mortal blow, yes. In addition to my summoning, and my newly developed water magic, which we share, I have healing, and a small amount of telekinesis and creation.” Those last two, at least, he’d shown the other man during their one training session.

At the adopted Launceleyn’s question, Loren shook his head. ”If you tell me where and what you want me to heal, all I’d need to do is touch you briefly.” Hopefully that would be okay. Giving the other man a hesitant look, the summoner bit his lip. ”I can also heal any scars you might have. If you’d like.” It would be Peter’s choice: after accidentally erasing Amalia’s scars, Loren wasn’t going to do that without permission ever again. Still, the other man’s hands were heavily scarred, so the summoner wanted to at least make the offer.

Normally, Loren would’ve let the conversation about his love life drop. However, from the way the adopted Launceleyn was acting, Peter seemed to think he’d done something wrong. This topic wasn’t off-limits, though just awkward. Letting out a huff of laughter, the summoner gave the other man a gentle smile. ”No need to apologize. You didn’t do anything wrong. I’m just...not very good at opening myself up to others.” That was an understatement.

But Loren was trying to get better at it; in that spirit, he took a deep breath and steeled himself to tell the whole story. ”Well. I ah, kissed someone at the beginning of LongNight. And then after I burned down the Rathskellar I uh, well, I got a bit drunk with the people who’d been there with me, and one thing led to another, and ummmm we had a threesome.” His voice was practically coming out strangled with embarrassment. However, he wasn’t done yet. ”And then, uh, I stumbled across the guy I’d kissed and ah, we...we slept together.” Laying it all out like that made the summoner realize how bad it sounded and he flushed a furious crimson.

Thankfully, Peter was equally awkward as he spoke about his boyfriend, whose name was apparently Adam. It was enough to help Loren recover at least a little bit of his dignity. He coughed to clear his throat. ”Of course I’m interested. Why wouldn’t I be?” He went through his interactions with the adopted Launceleyn but couldn’t think of anything the summoner had said or done that would give the other man pause. ”I’d love to meet him. And I’m glad you two are happy together.” That's what it sounded like at least.

At the comment about Adam maybe having a few bones to pick with the Launceleyns, Loren’s eyebrows rose. ”Well. Hopefully I can show him, and you, that I have very little in common with Zariah and the rest of my relatives.” Even now, it seemed, the echoes of his cousin’s reign of terror were haunting the summoner, even after everything he’d done for the people of the Hollowed Grounds.

The mistake was easily corrected, and Loren grinned at Peter as they resumed planting. It was easy enough to keep blasting holes with his water magic. ”I used to be a farmer, so I know more than I ever wanted to know about planting.” Along with a lot of other things: it was why the summoner’s knowledge base was so eclectic. As the other man explained the world he’d came from, the summoner gave the adopted Launceleyn a gentle smile. ”I’m sorry. That sounds...desolate.” However, now that the door was open, Loren was going to see what he could find out about his sort-of kin. ”If you don’t mind me asking, what was your life like before you came to Caido?” It was always a fraught question, especially since the other man had clammed up about his past last time they’d spoken.
Peter Pikely

Change author:

All Peter did was blink at Loren as he listed off his magic, trying to keep his face straight, and not let the quiet jealousy he felt show on it. He wasn’t competing with Loren, that wasn’t what this was about. Just... old habits died hard, and he couldn’t help but feel a little useless in the face of the summoners power.

Being healed might be nice though, as strange and twisted as it made his stomach feel. It was hard to tell if Peters trepidation came from the aforementioned jealousy though, or the idea of Loren touching him, and being calm about it. There was one thing he knew for sure, and it left his mouth before anything else. ”I-I don’t think I wanna... get rid of... of any scars. Um... not yet.” Then, he took a deep breath, and held out a shaking hand, his eyes locked not on Loren’s face, but his hands, watching for the movement so he could brace himself, keep from flinching at the touch if and when the other man took his hand.

A thin smile spread across Peters face in response to Loren’s words, forced and wooden. The matching laugh was the same, an uncomfortable sound forced out just to make it seem a bit more normal. ”You don’t have to.” He said softly, but Loren was already jumping into it feet first. His eyes widened, and the sour look on his face grew more interested, more genuine. It sounded so scandalous. He did try to be a little tactful though, and simply nodded, trying to keep from embarrassing the other man more than he already was. ”It... sounds like you... had fun?” The words were tentative, the very edge of humour in his voice, but... he wasn’t sure they were actually close enough for it.

There was no judgement on Peters face, though he did suddenly feel a little bit silly for all his worry talking about his own relationships. His love (lust?) life seemed comparatively tame. It was actually kind of relieving, pressure coming off his shoulders. ”I guess... I guess I just didn’t think you’d... want to hear about it?” Peter offers, knowing it’s not quite the whole truth. He bites his lip, a flash of guilt cutting through him, and takes a deep breath. ”We are happy. But it’s... it’s scary to tell? I wasn’t allowed to um... to do stuff like it before, and... Zariah said I could but... wasn’t happy.” He leans in after looking around, as if there’s anyone nearby who could be listening in on the conversation. ”I was... she set up a marriage.” Well, maybe the two events weren’t directly connected, but they had happened so close it was difficult to not be suspicious.

It doesn’t take long for the repetitive act of seed planting was easy enough for Peter to do it without looking, instead keeping his eyes ahead on the other man. A soft noise of disbelief escaped him at the thought of Loren as a farmer, though he did seem to know what he was doing with this at least. Maybe it wasn’t as far fetched as it seemed. But at the mention of his old home being desolate, Peter just looked confused. ”It was just... normal. I knew um... there was green in the north, and... across the ocean, just... not where I was.” He shrugged, it was hardly the most desolate part of his life.

Of course, Peter should have expected Loren to take advantage of the open door. ”I don’t mind you asking.” Peter said quietly, then fell quiet. Honestly, Loren was the first one to actually ask, and it was only because of that fact that Peter wanted to be truthful. Well, that and the fact that the other man had already offered up so much of himself. He was owed at least a little bit of who Peter used to be. ”It was... hard. Before here. I... worked,“ the way Peter said worked implied that it was not the word he wanted to use, simply the most sterile one he could think of, ”for a man who um... fought the uh... the leader of the city, and... and province. I did... whatever he need , I guess. And... before that there was Ro-Ro... Rock... another man. Who I... who I worked for.” He said worked the same way as before, a tremble in his voice. ”Theres a bit in the middle, um... between them? That I don’t... don’t really remember. But it’s when my uh... my magic started.” At some point during his limp through memories, Peter had stopped walking, his eyes very distant. He would answer more questions, of Loren wanted details, but that was the most he was willing to offer up without more prompting.
PETER
And I'm nothing like you
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Yeah, it was a long list and Loren wasn’t sure he was any more comfortable with it than Peter was. One day he’d get used to having all that power at his fingertips (and he certainly didn’t mind using it). But that day was not today. Instead, the summoner just nodded at the adopted Launceleyn’s request for healing and to keep his scars. As the other man raised his hands, Loren raised his own.

However, Peter was trembling, and the summoner frowned. He recognized the signs from his own previous aversion to touch, and the last thing he wanted was to cause the other man more distress. Something deep within the summoner’s magic shifted, and a pulse of sky-blue light lifted from his fingertips and coursed over to the adopted Launceleyn’s hand; it crept up the other man’s arm and through his body before settling into the scratches Peter had described earlier. Loren’s eyes widened in shock. ”Huh. That’s new.” He gave the adopted Launceleyn a sheepish look. Guess the summoner didn’t need to touch to heal after all.

Yet another fun new ability to play with. He didn’t know what all these developments meant, not really, but he wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Strangely enough, it was almost a relief to talk about sex and love rather than magic. Loren didn’t really want to unpack all the new abilities he was manifesting, not until he’d put a little distance between himself and LongNight. Time enough for stressful experimentation later. Maybe he didn’t have to talk about his dalliances, but increasingly the summoner found he wanted to. Bottling it all up was way harder than letting it out. At Peter’s tentative question about having fun, Loren let out a huff of laughter. ”I...I did.” No one was more surprised than him.

”Of course I want to hear about it. You’re family.” The words came out with a swift certainty. If Edy could see him now, she’d probably smack him. All she had wanted was for the summoner to feel a part of the Launceleyns. It was his tragedy that he hadn’t learned his lesson until after her death. As the other man continued to speak about why he was reluctant to bring up Adam, or bring the boyfriend around, Loren’s breath caught in his throat. Ah. The summoner kind of understood the problem.

Sighing, he ran a nervous hand through his hair. Apparently, he still had a lot of work to do on rehabilitating his image—something he would be the first to admit he wasn’t particularly good at or well-suited for—even though people told him he shouldn’t beat himself up for Zariah’s actions. ”With Rexanna.” That’s right, Loren had heard all about it. ”You can love whoever you want. Should be with the one you love.” He gave the adopted Launceleyn a gentle smile. ”All...all I want is for my friends, family, and loved ones to be healthy, safe, and happy.” It manifested in the worst possible way, sometimes, but it was the single driving force behind most of his words and actions. That and the need to be accepted.

Yeah yeah, the summoner had been a farmer. ”Ai was a farmer, a good one ai’ll hav’ ye know. Ai worked ta’ land wit’ the best o’ ‘em, oi did, mark me words.” Even after years, the accent fell easily from his lips; then again, he’d been a spy as well, trained to slip into and out of roles with ease. He didn’t draw upon either of those backgrounds often these days, but that didn’t mean they were forgotten. He flashed Peter a cheerful grin.

It slipped away as the adopted Launceleyn talked about his past. Seeing as Loren was focused on his magic, it took him a few strides to realize the other man wasn’t by his side. Backtracking, the summoner turned to look at Peter. Unfortunately, Loren didn’t catch all the nuances of what the adopted Launceleyn was trying to tell the summoner. However, he caught enough, and he could see how difficult it was for the other man to say even that much.

”I’m sorry you went through all that. And we don’t need to talk about it if it makes you uncomfortable.” Loren’s voice came out as low and soothing as he could make it. He paused, studying the other man's features. ”They’re not here. Those people, those men. I am though. Adam is. Rexanna is.” From what the summoner knew, all those people—and probably more that he didn’t know about—cared about Peter. ”You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.” The other man didn’t need to be afraid anymore.

However, setting off on a path not preordained or set by others was terrifying in its own right. Loren knew that feeling intimately, struggled with it every day. But he was walking down it, and it felt good.
Peter Pikely

Change author:

There was a small amount of relief that came with Loren not actually touching him, though it was drowned by the knee jerk panic that came from seeing the blue surge towards him. Too late, Peter pulled his fingers back, afraid of... something, pain, or punishment, or whatever his instincts told him this would be, but it had already flowed into his fingers, and he felt the prickly heat in his shoulders face away, as if it had never been there. He was silent for a moment, staring at his fingers, then rolling his shoulders, as if he was trying to will the pain back, and then, finally, he looked up at Loren, his expression sheepish. ”Thank you.” The words were soft, and Peter was clearly embarrassed at having reacted so strongly to the unknown. At least it wasn’t unknown to just him, not judging by Loren’s reaction.

Loren laughed at his words, and it made something in Peters chest ease up, and brought a laugh to his own lips. It was a new feeling, to be able to joke with someone, but it was good. Closer to what he’d thought a family was going to be. But not as close as Loren’s next words, the simple statement made without hesitation. You're Family. If he wasn’t already so set on not embarrassing himself further, Peter might have welled up, might have actually cried. He wondered if the summoner knew how much his words meant, how much loyalty he had just earned.

Peter didn’t really get much time to dwell on it though, the other man sighing, drawing watery blue eyes towards him. It shouldn’t have surprised him so much to hear Loren say Rexannas name, but it did, a little, and all Peter did was nod. ”She told you.” It was a statement, not a question. ”I-I know it wasn’t.... it wasn’t you. And...” Well, he couldn’t say he knew the other Launceleyn would never do anything like it, but he wanted to trust Loren. Wanted to think the best of him. ”It’s... better now. You um... you helped. Are helping?” A nervous laugh huffed out of Peter, and he nodded, not really sure how else to cap off his words.

Loren’s over the top farmers accent cut away some of the seriousness, turned the laugh and smile that had been hesitant and nervous into something genuine, and bright. Something that didn’t last very long as the clouds of Peters past crept back in, and turned everything grey.

”I-I... I haven’t um, said anything to... to anyone else.” It did make him uncomfortable, but it would make him uncomfortable no matter when it it happened, no matter who he spoke to. Peter had already started, and he might as well let words fall from his mouth until the flow stopped, while he could. He looked up at Loren, staring at his face, staring past his face. ”I know. They’re not... not here, not alive, but... but I am. And it... it should feel like... winning? Or... something... something good.” One of his hands came up to rub at his chin, just so he had something to do with it. ”I think I... I think something broke.” The rubbing turned to picking, short nails digging into the edge of a scar. ”I want...” Peter shook his head, and looked down at the ground. ”I don’t know.”

He hadn’t actually said anything, had he? But still, here he was, a mess of anxious tics and shaky words, and the worst part was he didn’t know why. Would never be able to explain it. He was safe and he was comfortable, he was surrounded by people he knew and loved. He was planting seeds. Why did it still feel like any moment it would be ripped away?
PETER
And I'm nothing like you