[SE] Roots Take Hold (Open)
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Abasi was not often prone to things like symbolism or metaphor, but he felt planting a tree just outside his to-be funeral home would be a nice touch. Something about new life and moving on, he thought. Perhaps one day he could place a chair there so those newly grieving could use the spot as a place to sit, just behind the building in a small gap between streets, a tiny courtyard with a few paving stones and dirt.

Kneeling, he took the seeds he had been given by the man at the market, who had assured him they would become a tree. Holding them in his hands they felt so small and it was hard to believe that one day they could become solid bark and shade-giving leaves. But faith had always been a key part of his life, and so he dug out a hole in the centre of the dirt patch to plant them in.

He had also bought a few shrubs, things that could stand the cold weather and grow to give the courtyard some privacy from the part of the street it faced, as well as make the funeral home look just a little more alive (ha). Kneeling he looked about, trying to think of where to plant them.

A B A S I
The birds are mocking me
They call to be heard
The birds are mocking me
They curse my return

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
The bard walked down the street, no longer smiling with blithe confidence but greeting those he knew with a solemnity that spoke of the new weight he carried. He was carrying books, as he so often did, and his feet found their familiar way across the dirt and paving stones without needing much guidance, so often had he walked this way before.

Before LongNights and blights, at least. Not everything along the path he took was familiar, and he paused outside one building in particular, recently spruced up and clearly with a new owner in the yard. He was a man Jigano hadn't seen before, and the bard paused, hesitating where once he would have stepped boldly forward to introduce himself.

After a moment he cleared his throat politely, nodding to the person poking about in the mud with the plants and seeds. "Hello?" he called tentatively. "Do... would you like a hand?"
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

A voice distracted Abasi from his planting and he looked up, his hands still on the soil where he had been pressed it against the stalk of a shrub. The man stood before him looked so odd he had to pause and take him in for a moment, especially his long white hair and style of dress, so unlike anything he'd seen in Egypt. It seemed this world would still find ways to surprise him, even in small things like a stranger's haircut.

"Hello. Yes, thank you." He would not deny the help, especially when the cold air made the earth so much harder to break. Gesturing to the shrubs and the holes he had dug out for them to go into, Abasi smiled and nodded at Jigano. "The people here are so much more willing to help than they were back in my land. It is...odd, to me."

He sat back to make sure the plant he had just placed was not wonky, then turned to speak to Jigano once more. "I am Abasi." He had long learnt to not bother putting 'Son of Hapuseneb' or speak of his priesthood. "And you?"

A B A S I
The birds are mocking me
They call to be heard
The birds are mocking me
They curse my return

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Abasi's hair was as dark as Jigano's father's had been, though the human man was somewhat shorter. A flicker of nostalgia caught the bard unexpectedly, but the erstwhile gardener's courteously formal manner was oddly reassuring, and the bard found a faint smile in return as the other man gestured to his plantings.

"I'm Jigano," he said simply, leaving off mention of the Loreseekers for the moment as he looked for a clean place to put his books. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Abasi. And people here know the value of working together, I think. It was the only way to survive while the barrier still stood, and even now this is not an easy land." It was more than he had intended to say, but by now it was practically instinct to be friendly towards fellow Outlanders, no matter the state of his own heart.

He looked around for someplace clean and out of the way to set his books - settling for the stone step leading up to the building itself, before he returned to join Abasi. He knelt down running his fingers through the soil thoughtfully and reaching for the well of energy within him, grasping the 'green' threads that were how he saw his earth magic. He made no showy outward indication, simply letting his newfound power flow from his fingers into the soil, loosening it as he combed through it. He could feel the white threads of his healing magic vibrating slightly and out of curiosity he tugged on them, too, feeling heat tingle across his skin as the soil became enriched beneath his touch.

He reached for one of the shrubs, shifting it to its new home, and the leaves seemed to visibly perk up and become more vibrant as he scooped the freshened soil around its roots and patted it into place. "What is it that you do here? Or, plan to do?" he asked, courtesy and quiet curiosity combining in the question.
Undertaker

Change author:

"Yes, but still..." Abasi paused, trying to think over what he was saying. [b]"My home was not what I would call easy, yet those in power were still content to pass on the harder work to the weak. Here the same structures seem to be lacking. In Egypt, I had many slaves to attend to the temple...it is only since coming here I have begun to doubt that way of life." And he still was not sure of the right way to live, but that was a deep conversation for a first meeting.

He did not notice Jigano using magic as he planted his shrub, hidden as the strings were. Still appreciating the help, he smiled to see Jigano help and went to plant his next one, missing the sight of the leaves perking up.

The question was welcome, a chance to further spread the news of his work. "It is a mortuary, a place to prepare the dead for burial. I have much experience working with corpses and funeral rites. I thought I could use that skill here. ...While I hope you do not find a need for my services soon-" That was a lie, but it was the polite thing to say. "-I promise you if you ever need a burial or cremation arranged it will be done with the utmost respect, care and skill."

A B A S I
The birds are mocking me
They call to be heard
The birds are mocking me
They curse my return

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
At first Jigano nodded with a wry hint of a smile at the mention of the powerful leaving the hard work to those they saw as beneath them. It had been much the same on his world, too. The mention of slaves, however, had his expression going to the carefully neutral mask that he wore when his hackles had been raised. "Slaves?" he asked softly, to clarify. "You owned and used slaves, on your world? I hope you don't try to continue that practice here." It was almost conversational, the way he said it, voice as calm as if he were making an observation on the weather, but he felt the talon pressing beneath his nails as he focused on settling his shrub into place and giving it the best start on its new life that he could.

He could see what Abasi intended from the holes he had dug already, and Jigano moved past him to the next little bush that would soon grow to provide a little shelter from the street. Again his hands tingled with energy as he dug into the earth, turning it again and again as he energized the soil and prepared it to nurture the life he was about to plant in it.

In spite of his sudden wariness towards the shorter man, he still tilted his head curiously at the mention of a mortuary. As a house of death it would have ties to Ludo and Mort, which interested him, but at the same time it seemed a bit... arrogant. "In my experience here, we tend to burn or bury our fallen ourselves. Giving them to a stranger's hands seems... disrespectful to them. I don't think you'll have much competition, at least, but how familiar are you with the burial rites, gods, and funeral customs of this world?" One thing the previous year had drilled into him was respect for the naturals and their way of doing things on their world, and how touchy they could be about outlanders coming in and telling them they were doing it 'wrong' or that the newcomers knew better. With the intersection of religion and death rites added in, he hoped Abasi wasn't going to be stirring that blaze back to life now that it was finally banked and quieting down again.
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi found the idea of attempting to continue slavery in this world somewhat amusing - who would be the slaves? Everyone seemed strong and besides, he no longer had the power of his priesthood. Still, he could tell Jigano was upset by the notion, so he did not laugh. "No. As I said, since coming here I have begun to reconsider some of the assumptions of my world, though it is hard to shake everything you have been taught since birth." He shrugged. "Regardless, I will be doing my own work or if I am to have assistance, it will be through willing friends or volunteers. Do not be concerned."

Jigano's concerns about the mortuary were understandable, as they were concerns Abasi had held himself. He nodded and listened then paused in his planting to look at the bard, wanting to make what he had to say clear. "My intention is to assist anyone in how they would like their dead buried. I have sought out the blessings of Mort and Ludo, spoken to Mort's daughter. I aim to help both Naturals and Outlanders in however they would like the rituals carried out - I am skilled in following instructions to the letter. Of course, I am also doing plenty of my own research. The library here...it is amazing."

A B A S I
The birds are mocking me
They call to be heard
The birds are mocking me
They curse my return

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Some of the bard's tension eased at the reassurance, though by no means all of it. Abasi would be someone to keep an eye on in the future, though his willingness to adapt and do his own work spoke well of him. Given the dirty, menial labor he was currently engaged in his actions spoke louder than his words, and Jigano nodded thoughtfully, accepting, at least for the moment, that there would be no attempt at enslavement. It was essentially what Zariah had tried with her militia compulsion, and though time had passed the scars of that time were fresh enough still that Jigano took them seriously.

"And did you receive their blessings?" The loreseeker asked curiously, especially given that he knew Ludo had been absent for quite some time. But something else caught his attention, a title that seemed like the height of arrogance. "And who is this 'Mort's daughter'? I've heard of no such creature in the year the barrier has been down."

If there was one way to soothe Jigano's ruffled feathers it was by praising the library, however, and he hummed mollified agreement as he settled the third bush into place, running his fingers over its rootball and infusing it with the magic of life and growth as he settled it into the newly-cleansed earth before patting the soil into place around it. Again the leaves grew greener and brighter, reaching subtly upwards as he renewed the plant's vitality.

"Agreed. I spend as much time there as I can," he admitted with a faint smile. "Having the Guildhall in the basement has been a godsend." Probably not literally, but on Caido one never knew.
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi could not help but look slightly embarrassed as Jigano asked whether he'd actually received any of the blessings he'd looked for. "Admittedly not, but I shall keep trying to pray. I have been told I am 'Abandoned', through no fault of my own and that this will make it harder to get an audience with the Gods." He sighed, still clearly rather bitter about the situation.

He was surprised to know Jigano had not heard of Mort's child. "Delphia. I met her on the Outskirts between here and the woods - she is truly amazing. I have seen a demonstration of her power and I was thankful to have a chance to speak with her about my work." Perhaps other Outlanders were not as curious about Caido's Gods as he, he supposed, but it still seemed basic knowledge to be aware of the children of major Gods.

Watching Jigano revitalise the plants, his eyes widened as he wondered if he was not alone in being Abandoned. "You have magic?"

He had not been aware of any Guildhall under the library, which he had admittedly only visited a couple of times. "And which Guildhall is that?"

A B A S I
The birds are mocking me
They call to be heard
The birds are mocking me
They curse my return

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Try long enough and one or another of them will probably respond," Jigano agreed easily, though his voice held a warning note. "It doesn't mean that you'll like what they say when they do, however. All of them have a reputation for capriciousness that is well-earned, even in my limited experience with Ludo and Safrin this year past." But then, he had not only his personal experiences to draw on but also those he had heard and recorded from others, such as Remi, Rexanna, and Sam. But there was something else Abasi said that caught the bard's attention and he paused in his planting to glance the other man's way, raising a curious brow. "Abandoned, though? What direction does your magic take, if I may ask?" Not everyone was comfortable speaking about it, after all, though Outlanders were far more open than naturals, that he had found.

Delphia? Not a name he knew, though he had spent a great deal of time in both the outskirts and the Greatwood since the barrier had fallen. He hummed skeptically, wondering if Abasi had been deceived by another Abandoned, perhaps. "What sort of demonstration?" he asked curiously, mentally cataloguing the list he had learned from the old folio a few seasons back.

He was not being as circumspect as he'd intended he realized too late, glancing down at the obviously fuller and healthier plant beneath his hands. He hurriedly finished patting it into place and nodded self-consciously, brushing the good earth from his fingers. "Ah... yes, I do. A... recent development, in most ways. A regaining of what I had once lost, in others." Magic he had once had, but it had been nothing like what he felt now on Caido, the connections and the ability to read and move the earth.

"The Loreseekers' Guild," Jigano replied simply, a flicker of pride broadening his smile as he answered the question put to him.
Undertaker

Change author:

"I would like only a chance to be heard. I must say I find it most...frustrating that I have been cast out by Gods I have not even met, when they can in fact be met." He sighed, perhaps patting down some dirt harder than he had to as he planted his next shrub, thinking of his recent rejection at the Glade. At least there was the one advantage to his situation, the one Jigano picked up on: his magic.

Lifting a hand, he created within his palm a small tool, a metal hook with a round wooden handle. This was how he had made all of his tools for his work and he had come to appreciate the ability greatly. "At first I could just do this." He gave the tool over to Jigano. "Then...I have found within myself the ability to purify darkness and evil. It is hard to explain but...I can feel dark magics. And I can banish them." There was a pride in his voice as he described this process, feeling it to be an almost holy power.

Lastly he shrugged, clearly considering this last magic to be less interesting: "I can also heal people, if they have small wounds. It only seems to extend to bruises and scratches, at the moment." Perhaps if this ability increased, he would be more excited about it.

It seemed there were plenty more possibilities with magic to discover, from what Jigano seemed to be doing to the plants. "What is it you can do?"

"Loreseekers." Abasi repeated, thinking the word sounded rather ridiculous, but not showing it. "What lore do you seek?"

A B A S I
The birds are mocking me
They call to be heard
The birds are mocking me
They curse my return

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano kept his face politely interested, though he couldn't help but note that Abasi seemed to be jealous of those others who received communication with the gods while he did not. "Do you think you are entitled to speak to the gods here, then?" he asked curiously. "Even the ones who had nothing to do with bringing you here?" Not that the Voice had chosen Abasi specifically, as far as Jigano understood it. How her portals worked and who they chose he still didn't know, but there seemed to be little rhyme or reason to it now that she was free of her prison and back to spreading plagues and death across the land.

The tool displayed had him nodding his head in understanding, offering the mortician a smile. "Creation magic," he confirmed. "In its basic form, I'm guessing? Can you only make about five or so objects a day?" There seemed to be some wiggle room with it, but that was the limit the notes on Abandoned magic had specified. The other skill, though... Jigano nodded slowly, taking mental note of what was described. "Purification, though... that's an uncommon one. I've not found anything about it before in the records here. That will be useful, though, especially against someone like Zariah."

The mention of healing had his smile returning, warmer than it had been as he nodded. "The basic form of healing magic, as well. Practice it enough and you'll find yourself able to heal serious wounds and sicknesses of the mind as well as the body. Eventually you might even be able to knit broken bones back together and save someone from the brink of death." Given that he was running a house of death that was certainly an interesting talent to have acquired. Bad for business, if he was the selfish type.

Since Abasi didn't seem to mind magic, and there were few people passing by at the moment, Jigano eyed the row of bushes as he considered the question put to him. "Do you mind if I give them a little encouragement?" he asked courteously while he thought. "So far I seem to be a healer of the second tier, and I have earth magic as well. It lets me work with rocks, dirt... and plants," he explained with a wry smile. "I've never really had a chance to do much gardening before, so it's a bit odd to find I suddenly have a very green thumb." In a manner of speaking.

The question of lore had Jigano grinning openly as he sat back on his heels. "Whatever lore we are asked to find, or that our own research takes us after," he responded, amused. "Old, forgotten lore unearthed from dusty tomes or new information gained from exploring the world around us, gathered and collected in one place and chronicled for easier searching and future use by those who need it. I can tell you about the system of magic on this world, the local gods, the flora and fauna of the Hollowed Grounds, the village of the Fae or the weaknesses of the Ascended. History, geography, festivals and traditions... each of our members has their own specialties as well."
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi picked up on the tone of Jigano's question, but he had never been one to avoid conflict for the sake of keeping peace. "Yes. I am of this land now and therefore under their care. Gods should at least be willing to listen to those in their worlds. It is the other side of the contract - the people of the land worship and follow the rules and the Gods pay attention." Honestly, Abasi was beginning to get a little frustrated with not just being Abandoned, but having to explain to so many people why it annoyed him. Did none of them feel equally hurt?

At least Jigano seemed to have some knowledge as far as magic went. "Yes. But I do not mind as it is a miracle to me to be able to make any in a day." As for his Purification magic...he had not yet had much chance to use it, but the opportunity Jigano described confused him. "Zariah...she is the Queen, isn't she? The rightful one, before the rebellions...? I was not present for the events but I have heard some things. I would have to use my judgement, but I would be hesitant to use any power against a member of my rulers."

He nodded along at the news of the progression of his healing magic, pausing in his planting to stare at his hand and imagine running them over broken bones, seeing flesh stitch together underneath his fingers. "I don't know if I will have much chance to practice it, but it would be good to have such abilities. Loren can heal the mind, I believe. But he is far more talented than I." Abasi smiled in a fond way that bore a great contrast to his usual frowning face and monotone voice.

As much as it was becoming clear he and Jigano had some differences in opinion, he still respected magic when he saw it. "Absolutely. Why would I refuse?"

Listening to what it was the guild was, Abasi had to once again remember he was no longer back in Egypt, where scholarly pursuits were things left to the noble and rich only. He was sure Jigano's guild would be open to anyone and there was a residual discomfort in his chest at the idea. But he did not voice it, only instead asking: "Are you a historian or scholar, or were before here?"

A B A S I
The birds are mocking me
They call to be heard
The birds are mocking me
They curse my return

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano’s tone had been carefully curious, not judgmental, however he felt inside. Abasi’s insistence that Caido and its gods mirror his world was a curious bias that Jigano hadn’t encountered before, and he was a little bemused by the little mortician’s insistence on his own way of doing things. ”How do you know that the gods here follow the same contract?” he asked mildly. ”Especially when there is conflict between the gods of this world, so if you follow the rules of one of the gods you set yourself up as the enemy of others?” Was his pantheon a more peaceful sort?

The bard smiled, nodding at the mention of a miracle, though it seemed fairly mundane to him. Still, it was nice to see someone so pleased by simple magic – instead of disdainful or disapproving, as so many Naturals were about it. Mention of Zariah always dragged his mood down, though, and he scoffed at Abasi’s misinformation. ”She was a power hungry mad dog who tried to declare herself Queen of a people and land who weren’t hers. There hasn’t been a ‘rightful’ monarch since Ronin stepped down. Zariah has a preference for using dark magics, though, so you may find yourself on her ‘problem’ list if she finds out when you can do.” Her preference for Abandoned might save Abasi’s life, but she’d either recruit him or do something to control him, as she’d done with Remi.

Then again, Abasi seemed to prefer rigid structure and hierarchies, so Jigano considered that he might fit right in with the Launceleyn mold.

Mention of Loren in such a fond voice earned a raised brow and a tilt of the bard’s head as he spruced up the new hedges. ”He is quite powerful,” Jigano agreed. ”A remarkable young man.” Healing, summoning, among other things… Loren was a force to be reckoned with, that was for sure.

He focused his attention on the small hedges at Abasi’s consent, letting his eyes fall closed as he sought out the threads of life and earth and wrapped them together in his metaphysical fingers. The hedges near to him began to shiver slightly as growth sped up at the tips of the branches and new leaves began to unfurl. ”Mmm. Something of the sort,” he murmured distractedly. ”I was an Oracle and a bard on my world. Here? Something of a scholar, an adventurer, and a general meddler about town, helping where I can.” He paused, eyes fluttering as he flexed his hands in the soil, sending another burst of growth energy to the plants. ”And you… you mentioned a temple before… were you a priest?”