what's this
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
Ever since arriving and first hearing of the group, Oliver had been interested in the Loreseekers. There was a mystery shrouding them, where those he spoke to tended to have no idea what they actually did. This along with the really nice name caused Oliver to be deeply interested in finding out more information to the point of even considering joining their ranks. However, due to how busy he had become due to the oncoming LongNight, he never had the time to properly visit and find out information.

Finally, LongNight had ended and the weather was nice enough for him to feel comfortable seeking out information. It wasn't too hard to find the location, really, he had seen it a couple of times in passing. Or well, sort of. He saw the Atheneum. Apparently, that's where the Guild was located. Somehow.

Entering the Atheneum, he tried his best to look around for any clear signs of a Guild, but so far he was coming up short. So, he kept aimlessly wandering, looking for anything, or anyone, to help him find the Guild.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Cleaning up the Guildhall after LongNight was much easier this year, thanks to the planks they had put over the window wells outside and the snowmoss that had been stuffed into the cracks to keep out wind and wet. Last year it had been a small disaster. This year? A little sweeping, a little muscling of the inner boards off the windows, and the place was already ready to open again for business.

The events of the Spire and at Safrin's shrine had caused Jigano to become far more subdued than he had been in the past, putting his plans to recruit more members to the guild on hold for a while, but questions still needed answers, and people still sought their door, so his steps were slow as he returned from outside, and picking up the well covers to let the light back in again. Hopefully they would still be needed next year, and against that hope he was carrying them back inside, to be stored in one of the little side rooms dotted about the edges of the building.

It was luck alone that he spotted an unfamiliar blond head wandering aimlessly between the stacks, only a row away from the path that lead to the great metal door of the Guild. Jigano shifted his burden of large boards and cleared his throat quietly so as not to disturb the handful of other patrons in the library at that hour.

"Hello?" he said softly. "Can I help you find something?"

He might look more like a workman than a scholar at the moment, but his tired blue eyes were kind and sharp as they studied the newcomer.
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
The blonde was deeply distracted and hadn't heard someone walking towards him. The sudden voice almost caused him to jump, but he knew he was safe and indoors. Things would be alright. Turning to look over towards the person, Oliver tried to identify if he knew who they were. They seemed vaguely familiar, but not someone Oliver knew the name of, nor had he ever interacted with them before.

At least they seemed kind enough to offer him help? The mysterious person had a calm physique, one that was welcoming. As well, the look on his face was also one that made Oliver feel safe, but also more interested in learning more.

"Yes, I was trying to find the Loreseekers? I was told this is where they meet? I wanted to get some more information, I arrived recently so I'm trying to find a guild to join."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He hadn't meant to sneak, but it was his habit to walk softly, and he hid a wince as the stranger jumped a little, clearly surprised by his approach. As the other man looked him over, so Jigano studied the blond, taking in his relative youth and the brown roots of his hair along with the pierced ears. A small smile tugged at his mouth as he recognized a fellow Outlander; dyed hair and piercings were uncommon among the Naturals, who tended to focus more on survival than appearance. Not that there weren't a few dandies among those who lived in the Settlement! But he'd met most of them in the past year, and this young man was new to him.

At the mention of the Loreseekers his smile broadened, though there was an odd hint of sadness behind it. What would Caiside think of this potential new recruit? But he could no longer ask the smith's opinion, and the bard tilted his head in acknowledgment of the young man's words. "You've found them," he said quietly, a flicker of his old humor in his eyes. He shifted the boards to get a better grip and used his chin to point to the next row over. "And you would have found our Hall soon, too. Follow me and I'll be glad to answer your questions. I'm Jigano, Provost of the Loreseekers. It's nice to meet you mister..?" He trailed off invitingly for an introduction as he led the way to Guildhall door, setting the boards beside it for the moment for later storage. The portal was already open wide to accommodate his comings and goings of the day. It was sheathed in metal, thick and sturdy, with signs of recent repair upon it. Beyond it was a stone staircase that spiralled down once, twice, to open up into a long hall with four doors. The walls were lined with more bookcases and a large table stood near the stairs, capable of seating a dozen easily. Above it hung a clever chandelier that caught and reflected the light coming from mirrors that angled sunlight from the sunken window wells in the southern rooms into the main hall. On the other side of the long room was a cunningly wrought fireplace, carefully designed to keep sparks contained and partially blocked from view by comfortable old armchairs arranged around it.
Blacksmith

Change author:
Like Jigano, Oliver got a good look at the other individual. He had a beautiful, white head of hair and a glimmer to his blue eyes. Unlike jigano, Oliver had no quite learned how to recognize a Natural from an Outlander. It was hard to tell the difference, especially when he couldn't even name half the Outlanders there. Still, he had heard of someone just like this person, an Outlander with long hair and a good heart. This surely must be him, right?

He had a nice, welcoming voice. A sigh of relief left Oliver as it was confirmed that he had found the right place, though he was soon blushing faintly when he realized how close he actually was to the Loreseekers. So embarrassing. Wordlessly, Oliver followed after the other, a faint smile on his face. He seemed welcoming enough, a good sign that this guild could be a nice place for him. He'd need to find out more information before he could make any decisions. "Oliver. My name is Oliver." He wasn't a huge fan of being called 'mister', but if it made Jigano feel more comfortable then he'd be fine with it.

The two descended into the Guild and Oliver was greeted with an immensely welcoming sight. It felt warm, inviting. A place that he could go and spend time with others of similar interests or maybe even go alone, relishing in the comfort for hours on end. It was incredible.

"Your Guild is amazing, Jigano." As amazing as it was, Oliver still knew very little about the guild or what they did. Alas, he was a guest, so Oliver chose to keep quiet for a bit longer, biting back his tongue. Jigano would most likely explain things to him, given he was the provost. Oliver wasn't quite sure what that meant, so he assumed it meant leader.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Oliver." The words were quiet but warmly sincere; he enjoyed meeting new people, even under the lingering shadow of loss from those friends who had died during LongNight. The young man seemed a little lost amid the maze of shelves in the Atheneum's main area, which was normal for newcomers to the large building, so Jigano was happy to lead him to the cozier quarters of the Guildhall itself. He stole a glance over his shoulder as they exited the stairs, smile returning at the expression on Oliver's face, and the compliment that came a moment later.

"Thank you. Many others have helped to make it what it is today," he admitted with a return of that brief sadness for so many who had gone lost or missing over the seasons. "Hopefully you'll meet some of them soon, if you haven't already. Samuel Wordsworth the bookmaker and Amalia Chandrakant, the Shield of Safrin and owner of Devas bakery, are currently members here. Caiside was as well but... he died during LongNight." His voice softened on the last name, grief still lingering near the surface, but it no longer paralyzed him. He walked further into the room, heading for the fireplace and gesturing for Oliver to join him as he stoked up the fire and poured water from the barrel into the pot, setting it on the hob to heat up. "Can I offer you tea? Sam makes excellent herbal varieties and we have a good selection. I can recommend the apple tea in particular if you like a rich flavor with a bit of sweetness, or fresh water if tea isn't to your liking." The stores were a little thin after LongNight, and Amalia hadn't been by to replenish the pastries and snacks yet, but Jigano prided the guild on being able to offer comfort to those who came seeking knowledge.

He settled into one of the comfortably shabby, overstuffed chairs next to the fire to keep an eye on the heating water, and turned his attention back to Oliver with a smile. "Have you had a chance to talk to any of the other guilds yet?"
Blacksmith

Change author:
"It's wonderful to meet you as well," Oliver said with a soft smile. This person seemed so cordial, polite, and all around a wonderful person to be around. Oliver could see why they were looked at so highly or why people would want to join his guild. Hopefully the cover matched the book.

There was a long pause where Oliver would've responded almost immediately. "I'm sorry for your loss, Jigano...but I do hope that I'll be able to meet the other members of your guild." He had heard of the death of Caiside and it saddened him that he never got the chance to meet them, feeling unable to properly express any sort of remorse. Still, there were some positives to think about. While he would never get the chance to meet Caiside, he could still meet the other members of the guild.

Quietly, Oliver took a seat where Jigano had gestured, happy to be able to simply relax and talk things over with Jigano. Hospitality was always a good sign. "Some tea would be fantastic, thank you." Oliver trusted him to pick a good selection of teas, especially if this Sam person was amazing at making blends. Tea would help him to relax into the conversation. Maybe it was a good thing he had chosen to wait until now to speak with the Loreseeker.

Tapping his fingers on his knee, Oliver thought of how to respond to the first question directed towards him. It wasn't a hard one, but he should still be careful to avoid being rude. "Yes, Bastien and I spoke about me possibly joining his Guild. Otherwise, I haven't really spoken with anyone else about joining their guilds. It's actually why I came here, I wanted to find out more information before I decided which one to join."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It was a bit of a relief to meet another polite Outlander after his mixed encounter during LongNight. Oliver was a breath of fresh air with his courtesy and kindness, and Jigano nodded his head in acceptance of the young man's empathy for the lost Caiside. "Thank you," he murmured, before turning the conversation to hopefully lighter things.

Making tea for guests of the guild had become a tradition that helped to soothe and center the provost and it did so again now, letting him find comfort in the small acts of welcome and hospitality that helped define the Loreseekers. "You'll find apples to be a common ingredient here," he said conversationally as he worked. "Not much grows well in the weary soil here, but the apple trees are an exception, so the fruit is used quite often." Which gave him an idea for trading with the newly-opened land through the portal, in point of fact.

He noted the finger tapping and hid a rueful smile. He hadn't asked the most comfortable question, but so far there wasn't really much competition or ill will between any of the guilds that he knew of. Between individual members? Oh yes, there were always personality conflicts of one sort of another, but that was inevitable in any large group of people. "I've helped Bastien out before," he reassured Oliver with a wry grin. "And the Loreseekers are on good terms with the Monster Hunter's Guild. We share information with them, and sometimes accompany them on hunts to take notes on the dangerous beasts they've been sent after, to protect the Settlement." He paused, unsure of that Guild's fate now that their guildhall was burned down and Ronin was dealing with his own demigodhood and family besides. And speaking of that family... "The Artisan's are a solid, stable option as well if you have some sort of crafting or trade skill, and Remi is a good man to get to know, if you haven't already."

But Oliver had come to learn about the Loreseekers, and Jigano relaxed into the chair as he considered the young man before him thoughtfully. "The Loreseekers are a bit of an odd bunch compared to the other guilds, in truth," he admitted, wry humor in his eyes. "We're bound together by two main traits." He held up a finger. "First, curiosity, and the desire to know more. About this world, its history, its plants and animals, its gods and spirits and peoples... a Loreseeker is always learning. And second..." Another finger. "We seek to share that knowledge with others, to help and improve people's lives, or simply to assuage their own curiosity and questions." There was more, of course. There always was. But for the moment he paused, letting his hand fall in a graceful gesture for Oliver to ask any questions he might have already.
Blacksmith

Change author:
It's a good thing Oliver really seemed to enjoy apples then. He wasn't going to complain how plentiful it was, especially when they could be produced in such large quantities. With the end of Deepfrost, hopefully there would be tons of apples available for picking. "They can be used for a lot of things...I remember really enjoying a baked apple pastry. We only got it on special occasions." The faint hint of a memory caused Oliver to smile. Maybe someday he'd be able to figure out what the pastry was and recreate it here, bring joy to others here...or maybe someone already knew the recipe?

The Loreseekers already sounded useful. They almost seemed to have connections to all of the guilds. Oliver hadn't really thought too much into it, but they really did seem helpful and extremely important. "I've spoken with Remi...unfortunately, I don't really know if I have any skills or anything that'd be important to the guild." He didn't sound too upset, mostly like he was alright with that result. He was fine with simply being friends with Remi rather than joining the Artisan's Guild.

Jigano had a clear passion for the Loreseekers. The way he explained their group made Oliver's interest grow. He still wasn't sure if this was the place for him, but he did want to find out more, maybe even help them out a small bit wherever possible. Would he be helpful? Doubtful. "I know I have lots of questions...tons even. I want to know so much and I know I tend to be a bit overbearing with the stuff I'll ask. It's probably not a good thing, either, considering I've probably angered the gods already..." He muttered the last part sheepishly, clearly very embarrassed by what he had done. Phoebe had made it clear that the gods would not be pleased with the way he spoke and Oliver was certain that they knew of what he said.

"I want to learn more...even if that means me not joining your guild. I want to live, not just survive."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"If it's pastries you're interested in, then one of my guildmates can help," Jigano assured the newcomer with a smile, hiding away the sadness of his strained relationship with her and the recent struggles they had been through. "Amalia Chandrakant, owner of Devas Bakery, knows how to make many delicious desserts. I'm sure that she can help you recreate your baked apple pastry if you describe it to her." She could either make it, or she could help Oliver do so, if he had an interest in taking up baking himself.

Jigano nodded thoughtfully at the other man's decision on the Artisan's Guild. In truth, Jigano felt the same way about it. He might have been interested in joining to support his friends among them, but though his hands were deft with a sword or quill, he wasn't very good at making things, so he had never done more than maintain good relations with them, and send new arrivals to speak with Remi if he thought they would find a use for their skills with the Artisan's Guild.

"Lots of questions is an excellent place to start for a Loreseeker," Jigano teased gently. "And I know I can come across as overbearing as well, so I can't blame anyone else for it." The admission was rueful, uncomfortable honesty for the bard as he considered Amalia again, his smile fading to remorse. "But I'm trying to be better about it. Maybe we can work on it together," he suggested with a return of his smile. "Though you haven't done or said anything yet to make me think you're anything but courteous." The kettle began to whistle and he shifted from his seat to take it off the hob with a rag wrapped around the handle. As he poured it into the waiting teapot and the leaves he'd chosen, he spoke over his shoulder. "As for the gods... they can be a capricious lot. Sometimes they seem annoyed no matter what you do." His voice was sober, humor fading as he spoke seriously. "Never take them lightly. They can grant you blessings... but curse you, too. And each is different. I can give you some tips on what sort of offerings to leave for each them, if you'd like. It might improve your chances, though... they aren't fond of mages usually. The Old Gods show favor to the Attuned, though, and might take a kinder view of you if you approach them and ask to be closer to this world and their faith, as the Attuned generally are." Of course with Outlanders it was always a bit hit or miss, since they hadn't asked to be on Caido in the first place, but at least Oliver couldn't be blamed for the fall of the barrier and freeing the Voice.

"Even if you don't join the guild you'll be welcome to ask questions here," he reassured the blond man as he returned to his seat with the teapot and two cups, letting the leaves steep for a few minutes. "We'll do what we can to help you figure out what it is you do want to do. What sort of things are you interested in? What did you do on your previous world?"
Blacksmith

Change author:
"Well, I'll go visit her sometime. I would like to see if maybe I can remember how to make it, who knows. If I have the right materials and guidance, I may be able to recreate it." Oliver felt like he had baked once in his life, but he hadn't tried since arriving out of fear of messing up. If he had a baker with him, surely she'd be able to catch any mistakes and be nice to him. Everyone had to start somewhere and the baker would surely recognize that.

"Yeah...we can. I know some people don't like that I kinda doubt stuff...or ask tons of stuff." At least Jigano seemed to like him? Hopefully that would remain a constant. Oliver wanted to make friends and have people to spend time with. Especially when Jigano seemed like an extremely kind individual. "Honestly? That'd be amazing. I want advice on how to deal with the gods, what I can do to gain their favor." Oliver had heard plenty of times now that the Gods could easily ruin his life and that he shouldn't discredit or disrespect them.

But one thing did confuse him. "What do you mean about the Old Gods and the attuned? About me asking to be closer to this world and their faith? I'm an abandoned- not an attuned." Oliver wanted clarification. He was eager to receive any kind of help he could. To get as close to the gods as he possibly could.

And of course, it shifted towards what he used to do. It had become a norm for Oliver to tell everyone about how he had absolutely no idea what he used to do. "No idea. I have basically no important memories, just little snippets of what my life used to be. All I know is that drawing makes me happy, I like sweets and plants, and...I'm Irish?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"A doubter and a questioner would be right at home here," Jigano admitted with a chuckle. "And if you can put up with me, I'd be happy to answer both doubts and questions as best I can." He tilted his head thoughtfully as the questions about the gods came in quick succession, and he waited until Oliver was finished before he tried to tackle them both.

"I can give you a quick history lesson, and hopefully it will help clear things up a bit. The Old Gods are Mort, Vi, and Rae, gods of death, life, and nature, respectively. Beneath them are lesser gods that they created to help them in their duties: Ludo, Safrin, and Frey, one for each of them. For the past three hundred years, Ludo, Safrin and Frey were trapped inside the Hollowed Grounds with the people here, and were the only gods they knew, so we know more about them. It's only since the barrier has fallen that a few - a very few - people have met any of the big Old Gods." He stopped for a breath finally, and to pour the tea into the large, thick cups, offering one to Oliver as he continued. "Abandoned - mages - are something of an accident, an anomaly that cropped up in humans long ago. Being different wasn't initially a bad thing, but some among the Abandoned grew powerful in magic and technology both, and sought to challenge the gods for power. These were the first Ascended, and some of them did become gods in their own right. New ones, and ones that waged war against the old gods. Whether the old gods were jealous of their power and sought to throw them down, or whether the Ascended tried to take the old gods' power for themselves... well, we just don't know yet. Whoever started it, though, the result was that the old gods no longer trusted magic users after that war." Was it fair? It didn't seem that way to anyone who had been trapped in the barrier for even a short time, but it was the way this world had gone, as far as Jigano had been able to discover. "Attuned worship the old gods, not the new ones, and pledge themselves to the old gods and their ways. In return, as you know, the old gods grant them the ability to become animals. It's possible - uncommon, but possible - for an Abandoned who has either done great service for the old gods or who is particularly pious to be... forgiven, I suppose." He frowned slightly, blowing on his tea. "I don't know if that's quite the right word, but the result is someone who is 'in tune' enough with the world to become one of its animals, while still having access to their magic."

His lips curved into a sadder smile as he shrugged. "Of course, the opposite is also true. An Attuned can anger one of the gods enough that they become cursed with Abandoned magic, whether they want it or not." A curse was in the eye of the beholder, though. And one could be cursed by one god and blessed by another, as Jigano had been. "Is there a particular god you're curious about and want to try approaching?" he asked instead of pursuing that line of thought. "I can tell you what I know about the offerings for the ones whose interest you'd most like to gain."

The list of memories was short and a little confusing. Jigano didn't know what an 'Irish' was - a race of humans? A nationality? A breed, like elves or dwarves or kobolds? A religion? But it sounded like Oliver didn't know either, so the bard just smiled reassuringly and sipped the apple-flavored tea. "You're not the first the portal has taken that way," he reassured the young man. "Another member of the guild, Seiji, had a similar loss of memory. It will make finding your niche a little more challenging, perhaps, but it also gives you a chance to try many things without feeling like you have to stick with what you already know."
Blacksmith

Change author:
Jigano had showed something that Oliver hadn't really felt yet. Acceptance. Yeah, sure, people made him feel nice, but not in this precise way. Oliver knew he was stupid, or well, ignorant at least. He felt as though others looked down on him, he feared that he was hated or disliked by many because he asked so many silly questions. Already he believed that certain individuals saw him as something less due to this part of him. And yet...Jigano didn't seemed bothered by it. They were okay with his questions, even said that it wasn't a bad thing! It felt great, to finally feel like his ignorance wasn't a curse. That he wasn't doomed to creating enemies out of every single person he met just because how stupid he could be.

Rather than speaking, Oliver chose to stay quiet, allowing Jigano to tell the story of the gods. When the tea was offered, Oliver graciously accepted, saying a small thank you before taking a sip. All of it sounded familiar in some way. He had once heard bits and pieces or read something, but it was nice to hear it in a concise and easy to understand fashion.

However: one thing did surprise him. His eyes were wide and the only thing stopping him from fidgeting was the fact that he was holding a cup of tea. "So what you're saying is...I could become attuned?" The chances seemed slim. Phoebe had made it clear that how he viewed the gods could get him killed or worse...but he couldn't help himself. Jigano said it, the gods would only grant it to those who did a great deed or who were pious. Oliver wanted to be pious, but was it too late? Was it mind already infected with thoughts of the gods hating him? How could he be pious if he still believed that he was hated?

The thoughts had certainly ruined his mood, somewhat. He felt saddened now, upset with himself for how much he had ruined the rest of his life. All because he was too immature. He had fucked up any chance of ever having the gods like him. Were any of his offerings even genuine? Or were they all narcissistic in nature?

"I-I guess either Safrin or Frey..." And there goes, most likely making Ludo hate him "Which one do you think I have a chance with? I've...I've really messed up. I don't think I can recover from it. Trust me, the gods...the gods wont be able to forgive me." And I don't expect them to.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"It's possible," Jigano agreed with a smile at the eager question. "Deimos did, if you've met the General. He is close with the Amalia, the Shield of Safrin, and has helped her with many tasks for that goddess. I haven't heard the story in detail, but my guess is that she was the one to grant him the abilities of the Attuned." Ludo had been absent for a time, and he couldn't see Deimos praying to Frey, so Safrin certainly seemed the most likely bet.

He watched with concern as Oliver seemed to wilt, however, and he tilted his head curiously at the phrasing the young man used. "All of the gods can be kind, in their way... and all of them can be cruel," he said quietly. "Amalia and Deimos have been blessed by Safrin, while I have been cursed by her. However, I'm on good terms with Ludo... but Remi has been cursed by it. Frey seems to have great love for Phoebe, but has laid minor curses on others. They can be confusing and capricious; angry with you one day, forgiving the next. I suppose it depends on what you've done, really. Can you tell me why you think they won't forgive you? If not, that's alright, I can tell you more about Safrin and Frey instead," he said gently, but waited to hear what Oliver had to say before he went further. Depending on what the young man had done it might influence which god Jigano would suggest, but either way he'd do his best to help.