a place to rest
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
HARPER
Oliver had been a more than proficient guide to Harper's first day in Caido. His kindness had been deeply appreciated, a veritable breath of fresh air in comparison to the life he'd been living before. A shame, for someone as intent on getting the most out of life as he was. He'd lost so much time, so many years of his life to the worst horrors the world could offer. Was it so wrong of him to want to enjoy every day after? Nevertheless, Oliver had helped him with bartering for new clothes, not that Harper had anywhere to change into them just yet. It wasn't too bad, his armor was comfortable for a reason. With all of his showoff acrobatics, chafing wasn't something he would tolerate.

Unfortunately he had also dealt some heavy damage to his shoulder upon entry into Caido. The pain itself is negligible - at least to him, but intentional torture to learn how to handle pain isn't exactly normal upbringing - but he's pretty sure it's dislocated. Not that he had informed Oliver of that, the young man had seemed the type to easily fret, but Harper had casually asked where to find medical attention and been set off in the right direction.

Knocking his good hand against the frame, wishing he didn't look so imposing in his current outfit, he calls out into the infirmary's open space. "Hellooo?" The vowel is elongated and playful as he pokes his head in, blue eyes (sharp, piercing, ready for anything despite his loose posture and warm smile) sweeping across the room to try and find someone who works there.
some things take insane bravery
but after that, you'll be free
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Upon calling hello, most people expect to be greeted by other people. However, that was not what Harper would receive. Instead, a pink dragon, approximately two feet in height and of imposing stocky build poked his head out from behind a cot. He eyed Harper warily with a large, round silver eye, his claws clacking against the hard floor as he shuffled out into the main walkway. But fortunately, he would not be left alone with the brightly hued reptile for long.

"Coming!" Phoebe called, hurrying out from the office in the back. She had been updating the infirmary inventory post LongNight. The blonde smiled warmly at the man in the doorway, not off-put in the least by his attire. "Hello there. Can I help you?" she asked, her tone light and friendly, her whole persona lending to a calming, welcoming sort of feeling.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
Well Harper has never seen a dragon before, but he can't help but think to himself that this is kind of a let down. It's a thought tinged with amusement as he waves his fingers and smiles at the creature in hello for lack of a better response. He'd been expecting imposingly large dragons from fairy tales and movies, not a little pink guy with a glare to compete with any old curmodgeon grandma. Harper assumes it's tamed or friendly or some other thing if it's wandering around in the Infirmary, but he's relieved when a human voice follows in its wake.

At least the young woman that comes bustling out seems familiar with the place, and her unspoken offer of help is what pushes him through the doorway. He smiles sunnily at her and gestures to his left shoulder with a sheepish expression. "Well, I hope you can. I'm afraid I dislocated my shoulder when I landed here. It looked very cool I'll have you know, but I'd prefer not to pop it back in myself." Amusement brightens his blue eyes as he jokes, but Harper has certainly done it himself and it's a painful, lonely experience. Hopefully she'll be able to help him avoid that scenario today.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
But I looked very cool - yes, that was her foremost concern when being told someone dislocated their shoulder. But did you look cool doing it?

"I see. Well take a seat on a stool here." she said with a warm smile, pulling one out for him. Once he sat she stood behind him. "So, what's your name then? I'm Phoebe Streadman." she said softly. As he sat, Pim sat infront of him, tail flicking back and forth. "You're new to Caido then? Did you find a place to stay yet?" she asked. While he was talking and distracted, she moved quickly, placing her hands on his upper arms and shoving the joint back into place - just like her father showed her.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper smiles with all the innocence of a cherub at her unimpressed reaction, but let's himself be directed into the chair without a fuss. "Harper Quinn, pleasure to meet you Phoebe." He'd shake her hand but considering that she's behind him it's a bit difficult. Harper is more than flexible enough to achieve it, but showing off will probably only make her even more unimpressed and considering she's going to be popping his shoulder back in, he likely shouldn't tease her too much.

Harper makes funny faces ar the little dragon to amjse himself while the young woman asses the situation. Or plans his demise. His spine is straight as steel, willing to trust Oliver's word on her mannerisms but still uncomfortable with having a stranger at his back while he's already vulnerable. "Few hours old," he agrees. The sudden snap of his joint into place would normally have him crying out, but inside he only takes in a sharp breath that he exhales slowly. Even that was a reaction that would have promoted more "lessons" in how to overcome pain, and he shakes the dark memories away while rotating his shoulder gently, smiling gratefully over it at Phoebe. "Much obliged. And no, I'm afraid I haven't. I've hunkered down in worse than the empty houses here provide though." At least those had roofs.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Pim makes faces back at him as best as a dragonling can, a few hisses here and there adding affect to make up for his inability to move his face as much as a person. Between that and Phoebe's questions he seemed distracted enough to not fight the simple maneuver to get the joint back in the correct position. "Now, now, leave it be a minute. You don't want it popping back out again." Phoebe's gently chided, patting his shoulder before she went to a small icebox to get an ice pack.

"You don't have anywhere to live?" Phoebe said, brows knitting together in concern. She placed the ice pack on his shoulder, then held out a small bottle for him. "Drink that. It'll help with the soreness and swelling." she instructed. "Well if you need a place to stay, you can stay at my clinic until you get on your feet." she offered with a warm smile as she stood there in front of him, keeping the pack in place.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper sticks his tongue out at Pim in imitation of a silent hiss, well aware there's no way he could accurately mimic the noise. He's distracted by the soft pat to his arm, and obediently stills at her chiding. "But then you'd just help me put it right back in, so what's the harm?" His bright eyes and smirking mouth translate more than adequately that Harper knows exactly the kind of harm it would bring, but he can't help his contrary nature.

The ice is a cool shock through his shirt at first, but as the cold seeps into his shoulder he gives a relieved sigh and gratefully accepts the tonic she hands him. Harper hesitates a little too long, hand gripping the bottle, before he raises it to his lips. He can't help the internal war that wages at the notion of trusting this woman he scarcely knows, no matter what Oliver had said. Especially with something that was to be ingested. Far different - and in his experience, more dangerous - than simply setting a joint. But he swallows down his paranoia and summarily drains it without complaint. Only then does he start in on answering her questions.

"Not yet, I'm afraid the kind man who found me and showed me around is in offered lodgings himself." He looks up at her from where she stands above him, holding the pack to his shoulder, and can't help but blink stupidly at her when she offers him a place to stay immediately. The same warmth that Oliver's kindness had instilled in him rises once more, a tidal wave of gratitude and kinship that he wears plainly on his face. "I wouldn't want to offend you by turning you down out of hand, but you're sure I won't be a nuisance?" Harper's voice turns grave her, a hand rising to settle atop hers, hoping she understands that he wants her sincerity. He knows he can make an ass of himself far too easily, and he's certainly not the quietest houseguest. But he also worries for Phoebe herself, if she is extending sanctuary to any stranger she comes across. Pim may be a mighty little strawberry, but Harper knows only too well how vulnerable she is. Especially to people like him whose skills are honed for that particular end game. Not that he'd ever harm her, but he worries nonetheless. Surely the people in Caido can't all be this nice.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Pim blinked, the clear lid clicking closed first as Harper imitated him. Usually Pim was the one doing the imitating. Not only that but this human-male did not seem intimidated of him. The human-males that came and went from Phoebe-blessed-by-Frey's side were always intimidated by him. His head tilted, considering him. Maybe this human-male had some merit - scales below his squishy human flesh.

Phoebe meanwhile laughed a bit, smirking at him. "Will I? Or will I let you sit there and suffer a bit for being foolish?" she said, teasingly. Clearly she wouldn't, she was too quick to offer assistance to do something so mean. Under normal circumstances anyways. Her honeyed eyes were quick to notice his hesitation though before he lifted the tonic to his lips. Her smile turned sympathetic. "Mostly willow bark and boswellia, with a bit of turmeric and clove for flavor." she said softly. She had grown up in a world filled with war - Phoebe had seen enough men grow wary after their experiences defending the kingdom, and she was willing to go to great lengths to ease such a mind because of it.

"Who showed you around?" she asked, curious. But the hand over hers surprised her, and wide honeyed eyes looked away from the icepack to his blue gaze. Her cheeks flushed slightly, having not expected the kindness or concern. She smiled at him warmly and shook her head. "I'm raising my three nephews on my own. You'll be far from a nuisance. Besides, with all the extra beds at my clinic, I've sort of become the defacto innkeeper for new Outlanders." she said with a little shrug, not realizing she was confirming his fears. Yes, without much thought to the possible ulterior motives of people, she was welcoming them to stay with her, with only the mighty strawberry for defense. No husband, brother, father, or anyone of great strength to defend her and three children.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Oblivious to the reptile's thoughts, Harper merely tilts his head the same direction as Pim, happy to play with the odd little creature. He is very expressive, which is both a good distraction and a point of interest considering Harper has never seen a legitimate dragon before. Though he has to turn his gaze away eventually, giving a moue at her teasing words, though it quickly dissolves into his characteristic smile. "You'd have to intervene eventually, I'd just pop it back in myself with terrible technique." He doubts she would actually leave him to his idiocy if he did re-dislocate it, but if she wants to tease then he will certainly rise to the occasion.

She must see and recognize his hesitation, and after the tonic is past his tongue he gives her a subdued smile of appreciation. He can't bring himself to comment or reply, can't risk where the conversation might go if he encourages that particular line of discussion regarding paranoia and trauma. Instead he hands back the vial and latches onto the next question she poses, unwilling to let his barriers down any further than that. "His name is Oliver, he found me when I first arrived and showed me around for the day. But I promised him I'd get this looked at, so here I am." A sheepish grin, though he is careful not to shrug and disrupt her where she holds the ice pack.

Though he squeezes her hand and frowns further at her explanation, worry only growing exponentially at the mention of children. "I mean no offense Phoebe as I'm sure you've helped a lot of people, but you must be more careful, especially with children under your watch. Not everyone is as kind as you, and many who would conceal their true evils. And you are a young woman, which unfortunately only puts you at greater risk." Perhaps he will stay, though he would hate to be a burden, if only to feel better about the fact that Phoebe lets simply anyone who crosses the threshold into shared living quarters with her. "But I'd be thankful for a bed, even if that makes me a hypocrite," he laughs softly, aware of just how dangerous he can be even if he'd never lift a hand to harm her. But perhaps he could be there to dissuade such evils, for he's sure they must still linger here. For an optimist he can't help the realist inside, the one born of years being a vigilante and putting people away that the system could not or would not do on their own. Though Oliver and Phoebe have both been unerringly hospitable, Harper can't help but prepare himself for when the cruel people who contrast them come crawling out of the woodwork.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Oh would I now? Perhaps I would let you live with a poorly set joint until you learned your lesson and begged for help." she quipped right back, laughing lightly in amusement. It was nice to joke around, even if her position was one that she would never actually take. The blonde did not question him further about his hesitation over the tonic. They'd only just met, and she wouldn't expect him to simply delve into whatever made him nervous to take medicine.

"Oh Oliver. Yes, he stayed with me for a bit before he made some other friends to live with." she said with a warm smile and a nod. A bit immature, but a nice young man.

The squeeze of her hand made her blush darken slightly, and the concern on his face and in his tone was a bit chiding but...also comforting. It was...nice to be worried about, even by a stranger. "No offense taken." she said with a small smile, a bit melancholy. "I know it isn't...the most prudent to be as generous as I am, but what choice do I have? I can't make a man materialize out of thin air to stay and offer protection or care to me, and I can't spend my days hiding in my house." she said, shrugging a bit. She had tried to find a man and that turned out poorly at best. Staying away from every possible threat was unreasonable. Risk was all that was left. "Besides, life is hard. I would rather be kind and maybe help people who really need it and risk the burns." she said, smiling at him.

That he accepted her offer made her smile brighten though. "Well, I'm glad. I don't know if I could sleep know you'd be out living on the streets." she said. It was one thing to vaguely know some people lived that way, it was another to be directly confronted with it.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"I never beg, my dear," he says in dramatic tones, grinning at the back and forth of their barbs. He finds he quite likes her, though he's very easy to please. Kindness of any sort, and playfulness as well, are surefire ways to make Harper your friend. It seems plentiful in Caido, which he cannot adequately express his gratitude for. It had been a rarity in his homeland, had left him starved for such affection.

It makes it easier to sink into this exchange between them, to consider her pink cheeks and sad smile in equal measure. "You need to learn to protect yourself, Phoebe. A strong man - or woman," here he raises a brow meaningfully at her, a little surprised by the idea of her reliance on men when his mentor was the strongest person - regardless of gender - that he'd ever met. "- may help you, but nobody can be everywhere at once. Please at least consider it." Whether it's his vigilante history or guardian tendencies he can't tell, but he feels he must at least impress this upon her and perform his due diligence of warning her into a more cautious mindset.

"I would rather be kind to every soul as well. But I'd also prefer to be ready at a moment's notice if that kindness is not returned, so that I may live to continue to be kind." Though he can appreciate and relate to her philosophy, he has seen far too much evil in this world. Crawling, tainting, disgusting evil that paid no mind to the light it extinguished. Protection and kindness can - and in Harper, do - live in harmony.

Though he is nonetheless grateful for the change in tone, and laughs softly. "Well I can't rid you of your sleep now can I? Don't worry about me. I appreciate all you've done, though. I'd be happy to stay here, and I'd be happy to earn my keep." Not that she seemed keen on accepting such a thing, but he could at least offer it. He finally retracts his scarred hand, feeling he has adequately impressed his fears.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe scoffed, shaking her head. "You've not met a woman who can make you beg is all." she said, waving her hand playfully.

But she listened quietly as he reiterated his concern, appreciating it but not really being sure how to rectify it. "I know. I grew up never knowing a peaceful time. But...some people just aren't made for that environment. It is why Frey gave me Pim." she said softly. At hearing his name, the dragonling looked at Phoebe and rubbed his head against her leg. "But I appreciate your concern and I will try. It's...well it is nice being worried about. Not many here worry about me, I do the worrying." she admitted with a slight laugh. Sad, but true. And as his hand fell away, she couldn't help but watch it, feeling a twinge of sadness at it.

At the notion of him earning his keep though, she shook her head."I remember how hard it is to start over here. Don't worry about earning anything with me. I'll enjoy the adult company." she admitted with a light laugh. "But I won't make you stay here. You can come back to my clinic which is much more homey."[/say[
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper sputters a little through his laughter, his own cheeks turning red at her forthrightness. "You are far too young to be saying that," he scolds playfully, a little surprised by her whip-quick reply. It was definitely amusing to be so caught off guard though considering his own flirtatious nature.

A nod of understanding follows her comment on the nature of a person's soul. If she was a healer, it was highly likely she did not have a taste for battle. Not that she needed it in his opinion. She merely needed the sufficient skill to defend herself, to last long enough to get away in dire moments. At the mention of Pim the man tilts his head to regard the dragon, smiling slightly. "A fearsome warrior, of course. But perhaps you and I can train someday. I wouldn't mind teaching you a few tricks to keep yourself safe." Nothing too difficult for her, but even just getting her used to using her body defensively could mean the difference between life and death. You are already teaching the new generation, his mentor's voice laughs softly in his head, and his lips twitch with a restrained smile. Perhaps he is a little too much like her, reaching out to train others and offer them a way to fight back against the cruelties of the world.

"You'll regret saying that, my company quickly becomes grating," he assures with a mischievous little smile. Not that he'd do so intentionally, but at least back home he had been far too sunny, too playful, to not grate on people's nerves. A brow rises at the notion of another clinic, glancing around the one they're currently in. "Uh, there's another? Whatever is easiest for you, I certainly don't mind."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
She laughed a little, a bit proud she had caught him so off guard. Somewhere, Frey was certainly proud of their little bumblebee, certainly. "I am an adult woman, so I am plenty old enough." she said with a grin. And she was a midwife and friends with the local sex god. She had at least learned how to say things with sexual implications with confidence.

The offer to train with her was the first of such offers though. Wide brown eyes blinked in surprise, considering the offer. "Well...it wouldn't hurt to learn a little bit of self defense I suppose. Thank you." she said with a kind smile. It made her nervous to consider, but Pim sent reassuring feelings through their connection. She was Frey-blessed. She could learn to defend herself a bit.

"I can be very patient so consider your challenge accepted." she said playfully, removing the icepack from his shoulder and walking away to replace it in the icebox. When she returned, she brought a simple cloth sling. "I'd like you to wear this for a day or so, just to give your shoulder a little support." she said, moving to help him into it if he didn't protest. "Oh yes, there is another. This is the general infirmary. I run a midwifery clinic from the first level of my home." she explained with a smile.
When the static clears
And all is said and done