a place to rest
Harper Quinn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 0 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 8 - Luck:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP:
HARPER
Harper squints plainly at Phoebe, eyes dragging up and down her entire body in slow consideration of her huffed comment. "Hmm...yeah, I'm not buying it. You can't be more than twenty, dear." Which to Harper is as good as being a toddler. At 18 he had a kill count, had escaped assassin conditioning, and had become a vigilante. So maybe he didn't have a leg to stand on, but even Oliver seems like a child to him. Good Lord is he really twenty-five? Yikes.

"You're welcome. I'd be happy to start as soon as you want. As soon as my shoulder meets your strict standards of course," he teases, winking at her to try and get the upper hand again after she'd taken him so by surprise. He patiently allows her to help him into the sling, even as he internally cries over the continued treatment. It's not exactly appropriate to tell her he's had to push his own guts back inside his body and keep moving though. Not exactly polite dinner conversation.

"A midwifery? How many patients do you normally get? This is a much smaller place than I'm used to i admit." He supposed the prevalence of magic makes up for the technological downgrade, but he wonders exactly what the population looks like.
some things take insane bravery
but after that, you'll be free
Phoebe Steadman
Midwife / Dean
Portal Guardian
Age: 19 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 4 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 30
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP:
PHOEBE
"I'm nineteen." she said, tilting her head to the side with a small smile. But the rest of her expression looked a bit tired, as if she had heard this argument too many times before. "In my home world though, sixteen was the age of adulthood. But regardless, I'd hope you'd consider my experiences more than the number of years I've seen." she said softly. Phoebe had gone through much more than the average 19 year old after all. Her age wasn't necessarily indicative of her maturity.

Her hands were gentle but sure as she tied the sling in place. Not too tight, just enough to give his shoulder a bit of a rest. "You'll be back in tip top fighting shape in a day or so without having to worry about this popping back out." she said with a little smile. Clearly the teasing didn't affect her too much - she had already seen him stumble so it made it much easier to keep her cool.

"Even in a small place people will always need a midwife." she said with a grin. So long as there were women really, her expertise was needed. "I've had quite a few patients. A couple repeats even, and a few regulars for general medical care." she said with a little shrug. "But I would say there are a couple thousand living here."
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
Harper Quinn

Change author:
MP:
HARPER
Harper holds up his hands - or rather, his one good hand and the fingers of his other - in capitulation to the insult he has apparently given her. An apologetic expression crosses his face. "Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm twenty-five, and even nineteen seems so young. Experience aside, because I certainly felt the same at nineteen, in my world it's barely considered an adult." Nineteen was a year out of highschool depending on your birthday. Nineteen was...well, young no matter how he looked at it. He can't speak to how much she has seen or experienced in those nineteen years, but the six between them had been full of plenty of maturation for himself. "I had seen and done far too many terrible things at nineteen. Six years was still a long time to experience more." He still doesn't mean to offend, drawn more into his own thoughts than anything else. Remembering that year of his life.

"Two days is an awful long time, I'm gonna get stir crazy. You'll have to deal with my antics, doc," he admits with a boyish grin, happy to focus on lighter topics after the faux pas he'd committed. But he files away the information she provides, humming softly and nodding along as she speaks. "It's definitely an impressive, painful process. I'm sure they're lucky to have you help them through it." Harper can't imagine the trials of pregnancy, much less birth. He deeply respects women that go through with it, but would certainly not involve himself in midwifery. Too much screaming, in his opinion.
Phoebe Steadman
Midwife / Dean
Portal Guardian
Change author:
MP:
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled a little and shook her head. ”Oh I’m not offended. A bit…tired.”{/sat} she said with a bit of a shrug. ”It is hard for me, coming from a place where I was a verifiable adult to suddenly being treated as though I am a child again.” she said thoughtfully, finishing tying the sling in place, stepping back so he could stand up. ”I would just prefer if I was treated by how I act, rather than my youth by years. It’s such a convenient excuse to dismiss someone you know – Oh, well you’re young.” she said laughing a bit. ”We could debate all day what that means and if it has value or not, but at the end of the day, you’re the 25 year old who came in here with a dislocated shoulder and asked a 19 year old to fix it.” she added teasingly.

Her head tilted slightly at his comment about all he had seen and done, considering him quietly. ”I’m sorry you had to experience awful things. But I am glad it hasn’t made you a cold person. You’re…refreshing.” she said with a warm smile.

”Oh, I am sure my three nephews will keep you plenty busy to keep the stir crazy at bay.” Phoebe said with a laugh, gathering her things so she could lead him back to her home and clinic. ”Well, thank you. Though, really they are lucky that Frey has gifted me a magic crown to take away a lot of the pain.” she said with a slight grin.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn

Change author:
MP:
HARPER
Harper hums softly, sympathetic even if he can't quite bring himself to agree directly. "I understand that can be hard," he concedes. Stands when her hands finish putting the sling in place, and stands gratefully. His ass was going a little numb sitting there. "It can be a convenient excuse if someone uses it as such, absolutely. But I have to say I agree that years alone can bring maturity and experience. It's an imperfect system of judging someone though, even if it's useful as a baseline." He's unbothered by their differing opinions, smiles warmly at her to portray this. So long as they could remain civil in their disputes, he's happy to listen to her side of things as well as portray his own. "It's why we use age as a base for things like when someone can be wed, or drink alcohol in my world." If her sisters were married at sixteen, it implies they had a similar age rule in place, even if it was younger than most.

Her teasing makes him roll his eyes playfully. "Keep up your sass and you won't get me in your door even if I'm bleeding out," he teases back. They really could talk all day about the veracity of her argument, but even her teasing holds no weight. He could have repaired it himself, as he has many times, but he does appreciate her assistance. Even getting to know her is a bonus to their introduction.

Her quiet consideration lowers his shroud of warmth and kindness, revealing a weary soul, one burdened with great pains and loss. But his smile, though weak, is sincere as she compliments him. "Thank you. I'd rather aim to make the best of every day I've been given, try to keep others from experiencing what I had to. I'm glad you find it refreshing, though everyone here has been much kinder than back home for me." And she considers him refreshing? This entire land is refreshing to him.

Harper trails after her, shortening his stride a little to keep pace. "I look forward to it!" He adores children, has saved many of them in his career, and their joy and resilience never fails to inspire him. "Oh wow, that really must be a huge difference. Frey is one of the gods, right? Oliver told me about them." He's rather positive, and perhaps it's a little manipulative to play the fool, but Harper is still a vigilante at heart. He needs more information, and she has already dropped the god's name twice. Perhaps she knows more about Frey than Oliver.
Phoebe Steadman
Midwife / Dean
Portal Guardian
Change author:
MP:
PHOEBE
"I suppose that is true." she conceded. To a point anyways. She would've made a point about those who were wise beyond their years but decided to keep it to herself. He didn't seem to be trying to belittle her, so there was no point continuing to defend something that wasn't being attacked. Of course, at his comment about bleeding out she laughed. "That's fine. I can sew you up just as well on the ground when you pass out." she said, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

Phoebe recognized a weary soul when she saw one, because she knew what that felt like. Her smile was small, a bit melacholy and empathetic. "I'm the same way. Why be unkind when life produces enough of that on its own? I'd much rather make the effort to make people's lives better." she said.

Fortunately, Harper wouldn't have to shorten his stride much since Phoebe was quite tall in her own right. "I do too. Maybe you can wear them out for me." Phoebe said with a laugh as she began leading him back to the clinic. At the mention of Frey and Oliver, she sighed and shook her head. "That boy is going to get himself hexed by the gods one of these days." she said, glancing up at him. "Frey is my friend, and yes, they are the herald of Rae, the god of nature." she said with a small smile.
When the static clears
And all is said and done