every siren's symphony
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
HARPER
Harper scarcely realized how much he'd missed his full range of motion until Phoebe had popped his shoulder back in. Though it had only been a full day, in his home world he would have popped it back in (painfully, much more painfully) by himself and continued his mission. Waiting for healing was generally reserved for smaller injuries, ones that didn't impede his work. Otherwise they were severe enough to be taken out of the field immediately, and range of motion didn't matter when he was confined to a bed or high out of his mind on painkillers.

Which all accumulates into the current time, where Harper is doing casual backwalkovers and stretches at the edge of the lake he'd found. He truly wants to just walk on his hands around the lake, maybe get some exercising in, but he probably shouldn't push it or Phoebe would somehow know and kill him for not taking it easy. Which is annoying, because Harper has an extremely rigorous daily workout to keep up his physique.

He's never really been good at bed rest.

So instead he forces himself to sit in a full split, braiding little flower crowns and intricate grass knots, bored out of his goddamn mind. How did these people survive with the world being so peaceful? Even monsters and barriers had nothing on stopping daily crime and corruption. Harper is seriously going to die.

Table Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
it's 2am and i took 17 shots of vodka trying to forget your name
but the only name i forgot was mine. and sober —
She’s trying to be a bit more active, trying to feel the sun on her face more, trying to ensure Auni doesn’t become so fat with the new Flowerbirth grasses that he doesn’t have to roll everywhere just to get somewhere. And so she’s made it a point to take him out, every day, to run around the Settlement or surrounding areas for quick jogs and peace of mind.

It usually works, until Auni springs from her side and darts toward the Oasis — keen intent on a figure far enough away that Kiada struggles to see who it may be. But if there’s someone outside, he insists on greeting them much to her frustration, and she turns on her heel to jog after him — hair tied back in a short sleeve shirt, aiming for Auni who aims for the unknown man.

Auni approaches far swifter than she does, and the Luxere darts in front of the man with the wag of a tail nub, antlered head glowing and lowering to greet him with a puff of warm air of excitement. And he waits, until Kiada catches up, breathless. “Sorry, you can ignore him. He’s needy.” She announces, pausing to catch her breath and glancing around to see if she can find something else to distract him.
— or drunk, you're the only thing on my mind
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
If Harper was a normal man, someone who was not constantly vigilant and aware of his surroundings, perhaps he would've been bowled over in surprise by the odd looking deer that comes charging his way. Instead, as soon as he hears it approaching he casts a glance over his shoulders, and stares wide-eyed at its approach. Companions are still confusing for him - the first he'd seen had been a pink dragon - but at least he can tell by the woman jogging after it that it's not wild.

The wiggling nub of a tail and playful prancing makes him laugh, and he tosses one of the flower crowns like a ring toss at the creature's beautiful antlers to try and snag it on a tine. Decoration, or something. The girl has arrived by then, and Harper stands in one smooth motion, sunny grin already peeking through at the company and her haggard appearance. "Well luckily for him I'm perfectly happy to fulfill his needs," he laughs, holding out an open palm for the stag to sniff if it desires.

"What's his name?" Harper turns kind inquisitive eyes towards the dark haired girl, ready to introduce himself but not wanting to exclude the adorable deer that seems more puppy than anything.

Table Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Auni is entirely enamored at the flower crown tossed his way, angling his head in a way where the crown sits perfectly along one of his tines like a crooked halo – a lopsided deer-like grin crossing his face as he prances in place briefly before investigating the man further. He nears, pressing his nose and breathing warm air along Harper’s hand in greeting and a slight bray of his own attention.

Kiada, meanwhile, manages to catch her breath and finally takes a moment to look at the man as he stands – he’s not quite as tall as those that she’s used to being around, but he’s still taller than her enough that she has to glance up to meet his gaze. “You and everyone else.” She says, partially hurt but amusement underlines her tone as she focuses further on him. “His names Auni. It means light in my native language.” She announces, despite having hardly an accent of that language at all.

Regardless, she manages to offer him a bright smile before pausing to brush the hair from her face, wind torn and all over the place before a hand rests on her neck, only half covering the scar that’s etched into her flesh. It doesn’t really cross her mind to introduce herself, and instead she focuses on the flower crown that Auni is far too entertained by. “I see you’re preparing for Fiat Lux, huh?” Icy eyes flit up to his with amusement, gesturing to the flower crown.
KIADA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper laughs to the beat of the deer's prancing hooves, the warm air that huffs across his palm like a benediction. The animal is beautiful and charismatic, and Harper is impossibly charmed by it almost immediately. Though regret strikes through him at the weary look and tone to the woman's voice, turning his hips to better face her and aim a warm smile her way. "I'd not forget your needs as well." His scarred hands lift the other flower crown in supplication between them, and though he is no longer kneeling still feels like a loyal subject offering his simplistic goods to the beautiful queen. He hopes she'll take it, will perhaps deign to join him on the patch of dry earth he has claimed for his own.

"Auni," he repeats carefully, turning to smile at the needy creature that prances about in the grass and debris of his creations. Then he swiftly bows to the creature, as if to mockingly knock antlers if he had them, and smiles mischievously from beneath his fringe. "Well met, my little friend of light." Because who would Harper be if he wasn't being dramatic every second of the day?

As he straightens he turns to Kiada, though her name is still lost to him, and bends only slightly at the waist this time. Not to insult her, but because he has to stop himself from reaching automatically for her hand. His adoptive mother - mentor, benefactor, the many titles she has had rolling out like a never-ending scroll - had been a wealthy and affluent woman. Galas and parties had been the antithesis of his circus upbringing and the silent compound of assassins in equal measure, but he'd developed the habits well enough. "Can I know your name in our own language?" Perhaps it's a bit of a tease, but his blue eyes spark with amusement and his grin is boyish. "My name is Harper. Harper Quinn." Not nearly so fancy as Auni, but a respectable enough name.

Turning to look at the half-completed ring of a crown that is left after handing away the other two, he laughs a little self-consciously and runs a hand through his messy hair. "Ah, no. Sorry, I don't know what that is, I only arrived here a few days ago. But it's calming to weave them while I think." Plus they made wonderful, ephemeral presents while the flowers remained vibrant. "What is Fiat Lux though? I'd love to make more if it's some sort of ceremony that involves it."

Table Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
She is surprised when he offers her a flower crown too, surprised even further to catch the glimpse of scars along his hands. Typically, Kiada would be willing to do anything but be caught wearing a flower crown. But for some reason? Something about the man bearing scars that remind her of her own, she takes it with a soft smile, inspecting it through her hands lightly as she listens to him reiterate the luxere’s name. She glances over to him too, still somewhat inspecting the crown as he greets Auni with a bow and Auni prances closer, aiming to carefully bump a tine against the man’s head.

Meanwhile, Kiada has decided to say “screw it” and places the flower crown atop her dark head of hair, icy eyes watching Harper’s interaction with Auni before the man begins to tease her and her smile grows a small amount wolfish in nature of a good timed jest. He asks for her name then introduces himself, and she snorts in response. “Kiada Njovu-Reyes.” She announces with a little tilt of her head as though the flower crown is a full crown of itself, a bit of mock royalty shining through.

Pleasure to meet you, Harper.” She begins before a quiet chuckle of laughter leaves her. But she is surprised that he doesn’t know what Fiat Lux is, and she lets her gaze flit to the ground he has claimed as his own, drawing nearer. “It’s a festival of sorts. With dancing, plenty of food, lights. It’s supposed to celebrate the idea of rebirth.” She explains, as if it’s explanation enough. But she cocks her head to him with a wry, amused look. “You must be new, then? Just arrived?” He doesn’t seem too torn up about LongNight, and doesn’t know what Fiat Lux is… all signs point to yes.
KIADA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
The flicker of her beautiful eyes down along his wrists does not bother him, far too used to even more obvious stares and biting questions, though his smile only grows warmer when she does not question them. From the scar on her neck, catching his own gaze, Harper assumes she understands the desire to not be questioned about them. To simply have them be part of you, and not a sob-story in waiting for whoever wanted to drag them into the limelight. He is momentarily distracted when he bows to Auni, bumping his hard head right against the tine in greeting, laughing at the strangeness of the encounter but happy to have created an amicable relationship already.

When she reaches for the crown, his smile becomes a beam, glad that the flowers he had used happen to contrast perfectly with her dark hair. "There we go. Now you're a proper queen, crown and all." Warm blue eyes crinkle at the edges, because she certainly has the aura of royalty, and he can't help but want to tear it down and tease her. Find the woman beneath all that control.

She plays into the role quite well, announcing her name with a regal tilt of her head. Harper deepens his bow, though his grin deepens to match it. He is clearly the court jester to her queen. Or perhaps a knight, if he is to maneuver his thoughts down darker avenues. Idle hands pluck his half-completed project from the grass as she speaks, fingers weaving without taking his gaze from her. "You'd be correct, I've only been here two days. I came here to process some of it." It doesn't feel wrong to bare that truth to her, feels that she will understand the chaotic nature of arriving in an entirely new world somehow, though he has no way of knowing her citizenship. "Will you be going? I'll have to put in a request for a dance now if I have any chance of stealing you away," he says, winking at her. She is beautiful, and certainly would have many hands offered to her throughout the night if she so desired to accept them.

Table Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
He smiles easily, and it seems to break through some of the ice as he laughs at Auni’s strange attempt at befriending the man before he settles in along the grasses, avoiding the mud the best he can. It gives Kiada all the time to focus on Harper, curious, and amused when his smile grows wider and he bows deeply, calling her a queen. She snorts to him, shaking her head. “I’d like to hope that maybe it’s a bit more durable than flowers.” She jests, a knowing nod of her head. Flowers died, eventually, after all.

Like everything else.

Still, he amuses her, and she forgets momentarily at the heartbreak she’s faced in lieu of the bright smiles and easy banter she receives from this stranger. And at the admission of only two days, she finds a laugh bubbling from her own lips, nose wrinkling up. “Well, you came at a good time. After LongNight is always the best time.” And it had been for her – the bright sunlight after a week of darkness and heartache.

He asks her if she’ll be going, and she nods easily. “Always have.” But she pauses as he mentions requesting a dance – having… not danced before, never been asked, she raises a brow curiously. “And what makes you say that?” She questions, tilting her head and giving him a slightly wolfish grin. “Maybe I’m the one that’ll have to put in requests.” A pause before she shakes her head in sly amusement.

He isn’t exactly like those she’s gotten close to before, but there might be something akin to friendship beneath those charming words that she craves, and decidedly, she’ll give him a chance.
KIADA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper smiles a little impishly at her words, daring to move closer and - telegraphing his movements loudly so she can pull away if she desires - reaches up to brush her hair back and let his fingertips graze the flowers. "Ah, but you have it all wrong. Flowers grow in rock crevices, in burned out forests. They stubbornly return every year. They are always well-received, always praised, and looked forward to in their absence." He steps away and gives her a parting wink. "Isn't that the kind of rule you would want?" Perhaps a little too deep for his normal dramatics, but something tells him it's what she needs to hear. He feels an aching, old sadness from her, one he can't explain. One he can deeply empathize with. And he wants to take her kind away from it, even if only for a little while.

Harper is admittedly curious about this LongNight she mentions, and files it away to ask her later, but he can come to the assumption that it's not fantastic if they celebrate the end of it. Considering the fact that he doesn't want to upset her, he decides not to mention it for now. He prefers her smile after all.

His smile turns charmingly shy as she asks for clarification. "Pardon my boldness but you are quite beautiful Kiada. I'm sure you get plenty of requests on looks alone, not to mention wit." Here it turns a bit teasing, though he does truly enjoy the banter they have going. Her own flirtation temporarily goes over his head, plainly displayed by his tilted head and puzzled expression. Until it registers and he blushes deeply, fumbling over himself mentally at the bold return. These Caido women are far more blunt than the lovely girls from his home world, who tittered and evaded all presumptuous comments for their own safety in such a dark city. "Aw gosh now you've got me all wrong-footed. I'm flattered you think so highly of me though, does that guarantee me a dance?" Here he sidles closer, tilting his chin down to grin at her, almost enticed to ask for one right then and there muse be damned.

Table Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
Oh, he begins to move closer and her eyes snap to him in a small amount of surprise. He’s bold too, as his hand reaches up to brush a bit of her hair back. The movement causes feathers to sprout along the column of her neck, speckled white and black as she listens to him, amused, but not moving away. His words are pretty, and she gives him a slight snort before shaking her head. “Once upon a time I would’ve said I wanted to be feared. Haven’t put much thought into it since.” And she winks to him, her feathers disappearing once more.

And he grows even bolder, his statement resulting in a slight tease that has her smile widening in amusement. “You would be surprised.” She announces, head lifting slightly as she scans his face. “You put a lot of faith in people here.” Again that wolfish grin appears as she shakes her head, watching as her retort has him blushing, and her grin shifts towards something akin to a smirk.

A shrug is given his way, a play at disinterest for a brief moment. “Well I guess that depends.” She makes a show as if she’s mentally going through a schedule before her eyes land on him again. He drifts closer, encroaching on her space and her head lifts toward him with a dark raised brow, a challenge. “Do you think you could handle me?
KIADA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
The slight widening of her eyes is like blood in the water, and if he lets his fingertips catch in a ghostlike whisper across her cheek as he departs, they're the only two who will ever know. His eyes glitter with satisfaction at catching her off guard. "Fear is a great motivator, but love? Oh, far more unpredictable. Far more powerful. I'd say you'd be fantastic at both aspects." She certainly has the aura, the beauty, the poise for both. And wasn't that always the best answer? A combination of both traits? To inspire both fear and love as the situation warranted would lead to a powerful queen. And oh, how far their little metaphor has gone, but he's happy to be swept away on the playful tides of their conversation.

"I'd say I'm an optimist. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst?" And his own grin turns predatory to match the cat that gleams out at him from her smile. Oh, she is a darker soul just like him, though she wears it like a cloak whereas he shoulders his joy in turn. It's how he knows there is joy hiding within her as well, because she is surprisingly like him. "But I don't need faith in these people to know that. And if I'm wrong, well all the more of you to enjoy for myself right?" And if his blue eyes darken at the double-entendre, if his gleaming grin is perhaps a bit too smug, well it vanishes beneath his heated cheeks quickly enough.

Her boldness still intoxicates him, riling him up as easily as their banter. Perhaps he had been a bit of a flirt in his home world, but nobody had ever responded in kind, and as he steps closer to her he can't help the thrill in his veins. Her words inspire a soft huff of a laugh as he places the crown he'd finished as they spoke onto his own head. "Surely not," he murmurs softly down to her. "But I have a feeling you wouldn't want to be handled in the first place."

Table Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
A featherlight touch to her cheek has her surprised somewhat further — most people didn’t dare, most didn’t even draw nearer to her. She remained standoffish, perhaps some form of hardened look with predatory eyes that pushed people away before they closed in. But if she looks at him long enough, she can see the glint of something similar to her own darkness shining through, and her lips curve easily into a smirk. “Bold of you.” She comments quietly, amused at the thought. To be both? It seemed impossible, but then again she didn’t have the draw for the crown she used to as a child.

Monsters and dying worlds tended to put things into perspective, after all.

Still, he tells her he’s an optimist and she laughs at that, nodding slightly. “I couldn’t tell.” It’s a playful sarcastic jest. “I’m more of a prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised.” Her head tilts in amusement, almost daring the words to slip from her lips to see what he has to say to that — which one he may be.

Turns out she may be pleasantly surprised as he mentions there might be more for himself, and something in her switches to become something so much like her mother and her aunt that it almost feels weird, but she embraces it. Her smirk boldens, feathers sprouting further along her neck as she tilts her head to him in a very avianesque manner. “Consider yourself wrong.” It comes out bold but her chest flutters and her heart feels surprisingly light, even more so as he approaches and places his own crown atop his head.

Between them all, there’s something about this picture that seems a bit fairytale-like. But neither of them are princes or princesses, let alone king and queens, but it doesn’t stop the smirk from remaining at his answer. “Mmm I think you would be surprised.” Shoulders rise and fall in a slight shrug. “Maybe I do, maybe I don’t.” Turning slightly away from him, she glances over her shoulder with that same smirk. “Could always find out though.” And she steps one single step away from him, a tease.
KIADA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
He can tell that she's not used to being touched, to being approached the way he is doing. It's subtle, barely there, but he has spent years trained to find the tiniest of microexpressions that may suit his purpose. He had never intended to use it quite this way, but he appreciates the information that he collects automatically. Harper wonders why she hasn't had this happen to her before, why this is so new. He has the urge to keep himself at her side, to diminish that response until it's second nature. Harper communicates through touch, can't imagine a world where he doesn't give and receive it like breathing. Wants to share it with her inexplicably. "Thank you," he says instead, boyish charm oozing from his smile, cheeky and well aware it's not exactly a compliment coming from her. He'll take it as one anyway.

"I'll aim to pleasantly surprise, then. Though I'll warn you I've often been told I'm the worst. Hopefully in jest." Usually by criminals angry at being captured, but Harper is a good guy and overlooks most of what they say. If they weren't criminals maybe he'd care what they had to think of him.

Something changes in her countenance, something sly and salacious, teasing and inviting. His cheeks are still warm but he draws closer, careful to leave enough room for her to make her own decisions on where she wants to move. "I must admit I've never been happier to be wrong. Should I put in my formal request now?" Oh and Fiat Lux couldn't come soon enough to satisfy him. And it only pulls him further into her orbit even as she turns away. Happily walking after her, a puppy on a leash, unashamed and unburdened by pride or silly notions of masculinity. "I'm a thorough detective," he assures teasingly, moving forward to her side, keeping close enough to brush their shoulders.

Table Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
His boyish charm isn’t lost on her, and she has half a mind to roll her eyes at him out of sheer curiosity of the reaction. But it’s lost on her as he continues on, talking about being the worst hopefully in jest and she snorts at that. “I can see it.” She replies easily, head tilting up slightly to look at him with all the seriousness she can muster — even if it’s just a playful banter of teasing. The game in itself is fun, it keeps her feeling light and brilliant where only darkness and shadows typically remained.

But she taunts him, moving away slightly to see it he follows. And follow he does, cheeks still slight with a pink hue that distracts her long enough for him to step up beside her. “I suppose you can.” She announces, lips curling in a smile as her shoulder brushes against his while they walk and Auni stands to follow, bounding ahead of them. “I could use some practice though.” A slight tilt to her crowned head, eyes sliding over toward him.

She remembers only one instance where she’s actually danced before. And it wasn’t here, wasn’t even in Helovia.

His comment about being a detective causes her to laugh lightly. “Are you? Or are you some sort of justice seeker?” She pauses in her step, head tilting slightly. She can read him too, and it seems to pinpoint toward something strong willed. But the scars tell a slightly different story, and she’s incredibly intrigued.
KIADA