[SE] Work Beneath Your Station (OPEN)
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ABASI

As a High Priest in Egypt, Abasi had only ever seen manual labour, had never been a part of it. After all, it had been work far beneath a member of the Pharoah's most trusted, fit for a slave - back then he had not questioned this at all.

Since he had come to Caido, though, he had had to help in physical matters almost immediately. From helping Loren clean the manor to guarding in Longnight, it had become clear he could not get through without helping out. Necessity had made him into a man with the beginnings of callouses on his fingers and rolled-up sleeves, no longer sneering at the thought of lifting something.

And so, only months after he had come to Caido as one of the most noble of Egypt, he was pulling Longnight debris through the streets to a pile where it was later to be burnt. The pile of wood and plaster, bricks from houses had been situated outside his mortuary, so he had felt an odd obligation to help out. They were now coming to the end of the lot and he had sweat on his brow, pushing himself to move the last few things.

The gods who existed before me
rest now in their tombs
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Age: 22 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Dyn Offline
Change author:
DANTE
I'm a professional idiot
don't tell my mom
Dante had been spending as much time as possible outside since the passing of Longnight. He'd spent too long cooped up in first his prison of a home in the last world, and then the temple as soon as he'd arrived. To say that he was feeling a little stir crazy was an understatement. There were only so many times he could slide around the hallways before someone was bound to be annoyed.

As it was, with the idea of becoming more acquainted with his new home first and foremost in mind, he'd stumbled upon more mess than expected. Was it like this every year? No wonder everything looked so dismal in comparison to the lively people he'd met thus far.

Movement down the lane catches his eye as someone hauls the debris in the area into a growing pile. His hands are already fidgeting as he makes his way over, taking in the neatly groomed man ahead of him as he cleaned up the area.

"Hey, you want some help with that stuff?" While he may have the strength of a wet noodle in comparison to those like Clementine, he'd spend all day hauling twice his weight if it meant keeping busy. "Might be faster with another set of hands! Or at least more interesting— I can totally carry a tune that'll make a songbird cry. Whistle while you work and all that, right?"

That was a bald-faced lie, evident by his voice cracking halfway through his last sentence.

Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Evie
fear has favourites
Evie's not precisely intending to hunt down the little twerp who has managed to capture her affections, but when she sees him swaggering down the pathway as she's running errands, she can't help her immediate response to follow him. Part of her worries about him a little too much, wonders where he's staying, if he's eating enough, if he's warm at night when the cool spring air floods the Grounds. She refuses to put words to those worries, but whatever. He's probably sticking his nose somewhere it doesn't belong anyway.

She trails him for a bit, putting away her purchases in her satchel, only to glance up as the kid begins speaking and feels her heart ache in her chest at the man the boy has found. Abasi looks much better than he had when he'd come to her in the Infirmary, snappy and uncertain, plagued by the initial stages of the Blight. Though Loren had comforted her, telling her there was nothing she could have done - and she knows this, knows the Gods themselves had to take action, and someone had to sacrifice themselves as a vessel - it had not assuaged her guilt. He had come to her for help, and though she'd alleviated his pain temporarily, she had still failed him.

One hand reaches to ruffle Dante's hair habitually as she comes upon the pair, though her eyes are for Abasi. A tentative smile is offered to him. "We'd both be happy to help if you need." She can speak to him later perhaps, but for now she'd at least like to make herself useful to him. Perhaps start repaying the debt she feels she owes.
don't let one be you

Table made by Sky!

Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ABASI

Abasi turned at the offer of help, expecting to see someone rather more mature than the boy before him. Still, he would not turn it down, having learnt swiftly in the last couple of months how having more people could make faster, easier work (and oh, if all the slaves of the temple could see him now, thinking that). "I will take the help. But no whistling."

Before he could guide Dante to a piece of debris to start with, a woman appeared and ruffled his hair. Abasi frowned as he looked at her, feeling a familiarity that he could not place right away. The Blight had left a void in his memory and even the edges of it were fuzzy. He smiled at her, hoping that if he did not know her it would seem polite and if he did it might pass for familiar.

"Thank you. There is not much left. Just take things from this pile." He pointed to the remaining things, then to the burning pile they were being taken to. "I do not have anything with which to reward you."

rest now in their tombs
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Age: 22 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
DANTE
I'm a professional idiot
don't tell my mom
"Cool, no whistling, got it, good." Dante nodded gravely as he moved to follow the man's lead ahead of him by dragging the debris out of the way. The gears have already started to turn in his head as he opens his mouth again. "But what're your feelings on singing?"

His words lilt into a sing-song manner but before he can continue, or really help out with the task at hand even, he feels a hand ruffling through his hair and just about jumps out of his skin. Evie's words follow immediately afterward and calm his nerves, and his heart from trying to spontaneously give up on him from the surprise. Clearing his throat to mask his initial reaction, the young man grins down at the woman now beside him.

"Hey gorgeous, didn't know you were following me around now. People might get the wrong idea." A wink before pausing, brow furrowing as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "Also, can you carry a tune with that angelic voice of yours?" He's already moving to help the other man again after being so rudely interrupted the first time, gripping a plank the size of his body and hoisting it up with a muffled grunt of effort.

"'Cause if I get to hear Evie sing than that's reward enough for me."

Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Evie
fear has favourites
She catches the end of their banter, and can't help her own amused catlike smile at Dante's immediate focus on the loophole. He's an endearing little bigger, and she's helplessly fond of him. And though she has to stretch a little to give him a good hair ruffle, she can't help but adore him like a little brother. An annoying one, but Sam had been annoying too. Perhaps that's just the way siblings work.

She flicks his cheek, not very hard, at his leering. Rolls her eyes even as she smiles, because damn it he's a cheeky little bastard and she thinks he's hilarious in his confidence. "Keep dreaming kiddo. Or actually please don't, I don't wanna know the kinda dreams you have." But her gaze is fond as he cheerily follows after Abasi, his adamant claims that she is angelic melting her heart. "I certainly can sing, but Abasi might throw us in the burn pile if we annoy him." Here she tosses an amused look at the man in question, before finally taking his cues to get to work.

She shakes her head with a little smile, reminded of their encounter, though she's unaware he doesn't recall. "No reward necessary, I'm sure Dante needs the work." She smirks at him as she begins hauling debris into her arms and taking it towards the burn pile.
don't let one be you

Table made by Sky!

Undertaker

Change author:
ABASI

"No singing. No noise making." Abasi continued to clarify. While he could appreciate a good song in the right contexts, he was sure that sung by a teenager in puberty while lifting heavy objects was not the best way to hear whatever melody Dante thought to present him with.

He continued to work, listening in to Dante and Evie speak. Gorgeous...? Oh dear, whatever this was, he very much did not want to be in the middle of it. "This is not an appropriate forum for you to try out your flirting." He said to Dante plainly - he'd never been very good at connecting with the youth. Giving Evie an apologetic look (for he could tell this was unwanted attention) he heaved a piece of wood onto the pile, brushing off his hands of dust and splinters.

"The...only reward I suppose I could give is the promise I will bury you well when you die, but one would hope that is not a prize you would be claiming any time soon." Abasi shuffled awkwardly, sure that would not please a fifteen year old.

rest now in their tombs
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Change author:
DANTE
I'm a professional idiot
don't tell my mom
Abasi's (what the hell, why couldn't his parents give him a cool name like that) clarification pulled a groan from his throat as he continued to haul the broken beam of wood towards the burn pile. He may have overestimated his strength or the weight of the beam when he picked it up because progress is slow going. Two steps, a pause, repeat.

Finally tossing (sorta) the plank into the pile of rubbish, he rested one hand on his hip as he used the other to rub at his nose. A small grimace when he gets a splinter embedded in the tip and spends another moment picking at his nose to unlodge it. "It's not flirting, just appreciation of the obvious." He mutters in between his actions, his fidgety nature forcing its way through like a bull in a china shop. Abasi's offer of reward makes him pause for a moment, brow raised as he looks towards the man, fingers still pressed to his nose.

"Uh, thanks? I know I'm small but I don't plan on going anywhere soon. I made it through Longnight, so that's pretty good for an outsider like me, huh?" Even with such a dismal 'reward', Dante continues back to gather more debris— just an armful this time —without another thought. Even without singing and the morbid promise from Abasi, the young man was happy enough spending time with others after being cooped up for so long. "Don't worry about it. Abasi, right? I'm just happy to lend a hand." He throws a bright grin the other man's way, attempting to throw him a thumbs up before realizing he can't do that and carry the debris, and spends another moment fumbling to catch everything. Despite his knack for flirtations and jokes, Dante didn't even consider passing by while Abasi had been hard at work by himself.

Besides, it was his home now too, not just a whirlwind of portals and monsters.

Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
fear has favourites
Evie admittedly only keeps half an eye on Dante as he begins picking up debris - badly, and nearly dropping it multiple times, acquiring a sliver in a spot she never anticipated someone getting one - because well it's more fun to let him get into trouble on his own. Amusing, really, how quickly he can get himself kneck deep in someone's irritation. Though as he mumbles while she passes by, she laughs and calls back over her shoulder - "Thanks, sprout. But maybe keep the appreciation mental 'til the work is done." She shouldn't be encouraging his perv habits, but they're relatively harmless, and he knows he has negative chance with Evie. She'll let it go so long as he doesn't start harassing people.

She dumps her pile and is returning when Abasi speaks. Already having met him once, she's not deterred by his discomfort with the social interaction nor his odd offer. "As I said, no reward necessary. We're happy to help for the sake of helping." She won't be surprised if he doesn't get it, or rejects it, but it's the truth. Evie certainly wouldn't leave anyone to their own devices with such a cleanup effort, and Dante may be mouthy but he's just as selfless at heart. Grabbing more debris into her arms, careful to keep her sleeves covering all her bare skin, she hauls more back towards the burn pile. Pauses as she passes Abasi, biting her lip uncomfortably, keeping her voice soft so Dante doesn't overhear. "Do...do you feel better after the Blight passed? I'm sorry I couldn't better treat you." If he dismisses her, at least the wood in her arms will be an excuse to escape from the conversation with her pride intact.
don't let one be you

Table made by Sky!

Undertaker

Change author:
ABASI

'An appreciation of the obvious'. Abasi looked to Evie as Dante said that, quietly evaluating his own attraction to the woman - it was negligible. Not because she was unattractive, but he rarely thought of anyone in that way; she was also simply not his type. Either way, it was inappropriate to be flirting in the midst of a job like this, and he felt it was clear Evie did not enjoy the attention. If he had been pursuing her, he would have been too mortified to continue as soon as he knew she was not enjoying it.

But he was not fifteen, nor was he here to coach a fifteen year old in the proper way to speak to crushes.

Neither of them seemed particularly interested in his reward, which he had expected. "I made it through Longnight too, though perhaps it is best not to brag too much. There were those who lost their lives." He said gravely, thinking of the screams he had heard beyond the door, of the corpses he heard had burnt in the Monster Hunter's guild.

Abasi was carrying a large, ungainly piece of debris (he was unsure quite what it was. It looked like stone but was not heavy) when Evie stopped him, so he had to put it down, leaning on it to get close to hear what it was she had to say. "I do. I am now cured, though my memory from that time is still rather...foggy. If you attempted to help me during that time, successful or not, I am grateful." He gave her a rare smile before picking his piece back up.

rest now in their tombs
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Change author:
DANTE
I'm a professional idiot
don't tell my mom
While Dante didn't know anyone affected by Longnight, not personally in the way Abasi and Evie must have, he knew when to keep his mouth shut. He'd seen the destruction done by the monsters and subsequent fires— hell, he was cleaning up the mess right now —and it wasn't something he meant to make light of despite his usually carefree demeanor.

As such he doesn't say much aside from the occasional grunt of effort required to continue to drag wood and other debris into a growing pile. He can see they're having a moment that he isn't privy too and was taught better to stick his nose into most things despite the occasional evidence of otherwise. It's only when he's sure that they're done, sneaking a glance after averting his gaze, does he speak up.

"Can any of this be repurposed, Abasi?" It seemed a shame to just burn everything but with how splintered some of these planks were, he can understand the need if sorting through it was unreasonable. He didn't know how scarce resources were despite the relatively desolate landscape. Surely Evie or Abasi would know more about that then he would.

At least, it seemed like something that adults should know, he hummed more to himself than anything as he took a moment to sit by the pile and catch his breath. Hauling wood that weighed as much as he did was tiring, who knew?

Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
fear has favourites
A part of Evie - one she steadfastly ignores for now - has the protective desire to step between Abasi and Dante. To snap that Dante had been in Caido for less than a day before being hauled into the Temple to be protected during LongNight, that it's unfair to chastise him for his levity when they could use a bit of it to balance their grief. That yes, it is good he made it through LongNight as a fresh-faced Outsider. But she clenches her hands around her materials and forces herself not to. Abasi had been blunt and honest even when they had first met, and it's not his fault. Nor is it a bad thing for Dante to get a small dose of reality here. But she struggles nonetheless with her silence, a defensive creature roiling in her chest, declaring an attachment to the child she's reluctant to name.

It's easier to talk directly to Abasi, and her gaze softens with understanding at the amnesia. Perhaps it's better that way, she can't imagine recalling herself being out of control and cruel to those around her. "I would do so again any time. And perhaps we can form a new acquaintanceship now, with your memory intact." Evie returns his smile before carting away her load, not needing an answer immediately. She suspects the word friendship may have been too strong if she'd used it, and hopes they can simply start where they are.
don't let one be you

Table made by Sky!

Undertaker

Change author:
ABASI

Abasi did not think his words had been harsh. Dante was old enough to be told off when he made a misstep and Abasi had never had an issue with chastising others. Besides it seemed the words had had the right effect, the boy staying quiet on the matter from then on.

Evie said she would help him again and he nodded, giving her a perfunctory smile, knowing that if he was in any kind of physical distress he'd likely go to Loren first before anyone else. Still, that did not mean he couldn't be civil with the woman and respect her gifts. "Thank you. You may come to the Mortuary to find me any time and if I am not busy we could converse." It did not sound it, but this was a rather special invitation - he did not let many people potentially interrupt his work. But if she had saved him during the Blight as she said, she was a special guest.

Dante's question made him stare at the pile of rubble, frowning. There had not been much of a notion of recycling where he had come from. "...Re-purposed...to what? It is garbage." He asked, clearly confused.

rest now in their tombs
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Change author:
DANTE
I'm a professional idiot
don't tell my mom
"Doesn't have to be, I don't think. Some of this wood isn't completely charred. Could make..." Dante looks around for a moment to seek inspiration. He'd started talking without thinking and now had to follow through. They were outside of the mortuary and there had to be something that place needed— aside from maybe some hopefulness. He can't quite picture going to Abasi after a loved one died and feeling comforted.

"Do you have chairs? What about a desk or signs?" He tosses a few ideas out with a shrug, looking to Evie for help.