Time to Move
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
cigarettes, the taste of whiskey on your lips
still haunting my every kiss - do you remember it?
Gathering her family was turning out to be a much longer task than she had envisioned, and it was beginning to grate on her nerves. While it was refreshing to be somewhere that wasn’t so cold there were no words to adequately describe it, literally everything else about the Hollowed Grounds was appalling. Fortunately she knew she could eventually return to Halo and complain about it to Neron, who would indulge her disgust with the feral land. At least in private.

But as she stalked the grounds, she finally caught sight of a familiar person, and even better, one she was actually looking for. ”Hello, Peter. Long time no see.” she said as she came up behind him, her low velvety tone unmistakable.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
PETER
The day had started like any other, and Peter found himself going through it like any other. Enjoying the weak sunlight, hoping the looming clouds would break and bring rain, and slogging through the mud. It was simple, and quietly enjoyable. Not the kind of day for seeing ghosts, though was there ever really a kind of day for it?

Peter had been about to change the direction of his steps, to head towards the manor and maybe spend some time with Loren, something he'd been doing more of lately, when a voice came from behind him. A voice that ran down his spine, chilling him and making him straighten all at once. He turned, slowly, as if the person behind him might change if he took long enough, but no. After a moment of silence, the little colour in his face draining away, he bent in half, an awkward bow, and stayed low.

"Hello Zariah." He answered softly, afraid to say anything else, afraid to even rise until she gave him permission, though his arm did move to hold the bag at his hip steady.
and our memories defeat us
and I’ll end this duress
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
As Peter bowed, looking as though he had seen a ghost, she couldn’t help the slight smirk. There was the reaction she approved of most. But of course, with her having been away so long, he needed a little bit of re-grooming. He was a perfect little Pet, but even the best needed to get back to basics on occasion. ”Come now, straighten up. We are family, aren’t we?” she said, her smirk growing into a cold smile.

”Come now, give your adopted cousin a hug. It has been too long.” she said, opening her arms for him to approach and do as she asked.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
PETER
Something almost like relief rippled through Peter at the tone of her voice, not the sharp anger he almost expected, but light, what he'd learned was almost neutral. It showed on his face when he straightened as well, his eyes actually daring to look her over, his lips daring to quirk, close to unhappily, when she said family.

"We are." He agreed finally, stepping in close to hug her. It felt like a trap, of course it did, he hadn't learned to be afraid of closeness by accident. Despite that though, old habits left him more afraid of what would happen if he didn't give her what she wanted. It was always easier to listen. "Why um... why are you back? I... I had heard about... about Halo, and..." He trailed off, boldness wearing off before he finished his thought.
and I’ll end this duress
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
As soon as he stepped forward, she wrapped her arms around him in a warm embrace. And though he wouldn’t feel it, her suggestivity magic seeped from her arms and hands, into Peter. She would twist his mind back into submission, erasing whatever may have warped him into thinking he wanted anything other than to be the picture perfect Launceleyn. ”Hush now, there is no need to be nervous. I am back. Everything will be fine now.” she cooed soothingly into his ear.

”I came back to get you and the others. We’ve a kingdom for ourselves in Halo. Don’t you think you will be much happier in a home, surrounded by family, building the empire we always deserved?’ she said softly.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
It didn’t take long for Peters stiff form to relax into Zariah’s arms, a warmth there that he had somehow forgotten. He was still afraid of her, of what she could do to him, but he remembered how badly he’d wanted to please her as well, to earn his place. The feeling of drifting aimlessly hadn’t abated, but Zariah was the promise of an end to that.

Could he really deny it?

His mind whispered no, of course he couldn’t, no matter how much her words made him uneasy. He shifted, freeing his mouth so he could speak clearly. ”Can I ask...” Then he trailed off, and tried his luck. ”Why did you... why did you leave?” There was nothing accusatory in his tone, just confusion, like an abandoned dog. There were more questions, about family and kingdoms and home, but this was the most pressing, the one he’d wondered the whole time.
and I’ll end this duress
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
The feel of his form relaxing into her embrace brought a smirk to her lips. Ah, yes. Just as malleable as she remembered. Really, whoever had conditioned him had done a marvelous job. She truly admired their work. His question though was predictable. He really was like a kicked dog, with horrible separation anxiety that would leave him vulnerable to her charms and spells and wicked plots.

Zariah stepped back, only slightly, her hands moving to rest on his cheeks so she could easily keep his eyes focused on hers. So he could see the sincerity to purposefully placed there as she gazed at him, of course. "The Voice called to me one evening to the Greatwood. In following her instruction, I was portalled to Halo, where Neron - Jace's father - was ruler." she said softly. "I did not know that would be the outcome, nor did I know it would take so long for the portal back to open. But in that time I have secured our position, and once the portal was opened again, I returned to fetch you as soon as I could."
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
As Zariah stepped back, Peter automatically tried to lower his eyes again, stopped only by the hands on his cheeks. It felt intimate, warm, almost loving, in a way, so he tried to not be anxious about looking upon the family head, at least not outwardly. He was still very aware of how easy it was for a mood to change, how much of a target he could be.

Her face was soft though, almost apologetic Peter thought. He found himself nodding along to her words, all to eager to accept them, and too afraid to ask anymore questions about why she left anyway. It makes perfect sense how she’s explained it. Just a misunderstanding. ”Will... I’m sorry, I-I mean, is everyone coming?” Jace and Beatrix were a given, and Edrei was gone, so it was fairly clear who Peter was talking about when he asked.
and I’ll end this duress
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah smiled a little at first as Peter nodded along. Yes, yes, very good, come along dear child back on the straight and narrow. Really she probably didn’t need the suggestion magic, Peter was so eager for structure that what she provided would have been eagerly taken. But at his question, the implication really, her expression shifted. A frown. Displeasure. A hint of anger. But this wasn’t directed at him thankfully.

And just as quickly she ran her suggestivity magic through his veins.

”Loren will not be coming. He abandoned us. I do not know what lies he has told you, but do not believe whatever he has said. He hates us. He hates me – even though I took a chance on him and made him stronger. I made him my Left Hand. I believed in him and he despises me now that he has a taste of power.” she said, tsking quietly.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
Peter's breath all but froze in his lungs as her face shifted, lips creasing down into a sharp frown. He tried frantically to figure out what it had been, what apologies he could offer, but he realized after a moment this had nothing to do with him. A soft breath left him when she spoke, his brow creasing in confusion.

Loren had... abandoned them? That... that didn't sound right. The more Zariah spoke though, the more it started to almost make sense, the words wrapping around his mind like smoke. There was something terrible about the idea that he was just being used as a pawn, some bit piece in an old family drama, and just as easily as the thought came to mind Peter tried to shove it away, his eyes closing. "Why... why would he do that?" There was a mournful note in the words, still twisted with confusion.
and I’ll end this duress
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah shrugged a bit, running her thumbs over Peter’s cheeks in a comforting manner, her magic still coursing through him without his knowing. ”He feels he has been cheated and treated wrongly. Him, the weakest of his siblings who was yet given a chance to be the second to the Head of our family.” she said, making very plain the ridiculousness of Loren’s actions. ”He is resentful. Jealous. Discontent. He does not value loyalty or family as you or I do. In fact…” she paused, if only for dramatic effect; pulling Peter further into the tale she wove.

”His own twin is Warden of the Citadel of Halo, and he refused to recognize him. That his own twin managed to rise to such heights while we have been separated, Loren pretended he could not recognize him out of envy and spite. He is…a sick man, Peter. But he is beyond our help.” she said, brows furrowing as if in sadness. ”Put him out of your mind dear cousin. Perhaps some day he will come to his senses. But for now, he is no Launceleyn. Understand?” she asked, a quick check to make sure that her magic was twisting his mind as she wished it.

”Now…” she said softly, her hands trailing down his neck to rest on the edges of his shoulders, as if she were looking him over. ”Tell me about this Adam Pikely…who came and requested I remove you from our family.”
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
Wide eyes drank in every word Zariah purred as very slowly, the knot of resistance grew looser in Peters mind, though not without more confusion. He had spent time with Loren, had had talks with Loren. He thought he had an idea of who the other man was, and it was clear he was struggling to fit what Zariah was saying into the picture he already had. But the family heads words are well spun, and more than that, she gives him something to grasp on to.

The you and I, the our. It includes him in the family, gives him a part to play. So even though he isn’t still isn’t sure of her words, he nods, aching for the response to his right answer. ”Yes, I understand.” The hands moving to his shoulders make him shiver, though it’s warmth that begins to bloom in his chest, the idea that things can be alright like this floating through his mind.

Then, his blood turns to ice in his veins, and all he can do it stare. It took him a moment to do more than blink, his brows coming together in confusion, trying to buy time while his mind worked furiously to figure out the best thing to say. ”He... doesn’t understand. The family. Or... or what it means to me. I’m sorry.” Peter talks as quickly and steadily as he can, his eyes focused on her. ”I’ll talk to him. I’ll make sure... I’ll make sure my feelings are clear.”
and I’ll end this duress
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
The Archmage of the Citadel smirked, his positive response exactly what she had wished to hear. Loren might've been the stronger mage than Peter, but Peter was the better of the two. She probably could have twisted his mind, even without the magic, and a weak but loyal servant was always better than a strong but defiant one. "I am so glad you understand. I would've been heartbroken to lose you, and I know Neron would have been so disappointed to miss out on meeting one so loyal to us as you." she purred, giving him the small bit of recognition he craved - a reward for his loyalty.

Zariah listened quietly, watching as Peter tried to reconcile the actions of his lover in the face of the terribly reality the man had placed them both in. "Clearly." she said a bit dryly at Peter's observation. Adam didn't just not understand, he was stubbornly ignorant to it, and to the consequences of his meddling. "I stayed out of this before, knowing he made you happy; and I do so want you happy. But you must make him understand, or my hand will be forced to act to protect you." she said frowning, as if the thought of killing his lover saddened her as it would certainly him. "You have been so loyal, Peter. I do not wish to see you unhappy. I do hope you will understand the position I will be put in if he cannot learn his place." Even if Adam was a legitimate spouse in Zariah's mind - which he never could be for a number of reasons - Peter was the direct link to the family. He was the one who was to speak on behalf of both of them, the one with the rights to approach the family head. Adam had grievously stepped out of line on more than one account. If Peter wanted to keep him around, he would have to rise to the occasion of leading his affairs with a stronger hand.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
The small voice of doubt that still lived in Peters mind couldn’t shout louder than Zariah, than her promises and praises, and was washed away in the safe familiarity of someone else’s guiding hand. Peter blinked, absorbing Zariah’s words quietly, then smiled. ”You won’t lose me.” He said, the words right, but feeling strange on his tongue. ”I’m very... I’m excited to meet him. Neron.” His back was straighter as he said it, some sense of pride, of worth tied to Zariah’s view of him.

He shrank back down just as quickly as her voice lost its warmth, displeasure written across her face. ”I understand.” His voice was soft, almost distant, but steady, and clear. ”It won’t be a... won’t be a problem. And I...” Peter swallowed, clenching his hands over and over to keep the rest of him from squirming. ”I’m sorry. I’m... I’m sure he didn’t intend any disrespect.” It wasn’t an excuse, and even if it was it wouldn’t be one she’d accept, but he hoped it would warn back some of her goodwill, her patience.
and I’ll end this duress