Training treasure hunting
for Wessex
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
Oliver wasn't normally the sort to look around for random odds and ends. Maybe when he had first arrived he had looked for a bag, but that's pretty much it. However, now he's taken an interest to looking for things to barter with or even things people have lost. LongNight left a lot of destruction in its wake, as well, many things had long been buried by all the snow, never seeing the light of day until recently. Already, many things had been picked over, but that didn't mean Oliver wasn't completely out of luck.

A small satchel was slung over his shoulder as he explored, looking for things to either pick up or any changes in the world. Really, he was just in an exploratory mood today. He wanted to see things, find cool stuff to bring back or fun people to talk to. He didn't want to be cooped up all day just reading a bunch of boring old books: Oliver wanted action and he was going to make it happen!

His journey hadn't been too successful in terms of finding things. The most he had found was a really cool rock, which of course he picked up. It was just a rock...but it was smooth! Okay, maybe he was having a bit of a hard time if he thought a smooth rock was cool, but who could blame him. He was still recovering from a nasty case of cabin fever.

All he needed was some action, fun people to talk to, and cool things to decorate his room with.

Wessex
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
the wraith
There aren’t a lot of people who wander aimlessly through the ruins; it’s a treacherous area in the winter, once you account for the ice and snow-hidden obstacles. No one wants to turn an ankle or bust a knee or worse, before LongNight. But as Oliver surmises, once the traces of Deepfrost disappear it becomes an escape again. The Ruins are used for teenage trysts, for hiding things, for hunting… in short, for both nefarious and purely secretive things. The only things of value left might be the things forgotten in the depths of winter - all the other items having been carried out or used for firewood long ago.

What Wessex is doing there is unclear at the moment (has she ever needed an excuse to wander her home?), but the peroxide white hair is difficult to miss as it bobs amidst the darker, overgrown buildings. As she draws closer, she vaguely recognizes the young man from LongNight, but can’t put a name to face. Half of her doesn’t want to bother. The other half knows she should at least make an attempt to be personable and cordial. 'Fun' isn't a naturally occurring state for Wessex - just ask Amun.

He seems to be ducking up and down, and the Queen can't figure out why. “What are you doing?” she calls out, striding confidently towards him, hood drawn up to her hairline to shield herself from the sun.
she's pullin' the trigger
cause it's me and the moon, she says
and i have no trouble with that
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
The blonde had a nasty little habit of getting lost in his own world. His thoughts would often cause him to drift off, thinking about off topic things or going off into far extremes. Often, it would lead to him accidentally making himself feel overly sad or happy, but in this moment, he just seemed to be in a bit of a daze. He was looking around at his surroundings, but had tuned out quite a bit, paying attention to very little.

The sound of a voice caught his attention and he looked around until his eyes landed on a very familiar face. Wessex. Luckily, he had managed to hear everything that she had said and boy was he scared shitless. Any time a Queen questions you probably isn't a good thing...right. Oliver really wasn't in the mood to be beheaded anytime soon. Maybe he should be heading out?

"Oh uh..." He had to be honest, she would absolutely catch his bluff. Hopefully it wouldn't end poorly for him. "I was just looking around...I haven't really been here before and I wanted to see what was out here...plus I was looking for anything left over from LongNight. Stuff that the snow might've buried."
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
It's Lord of the Flies in my mind tonight
Beheaded? No. What an archaic perception.

Skewered? Maybe. Might as well use her Goddess-given gifts appropriately.

One side of her would be delighted that such a reputation precedes her. The other part would be rather dismayed that someone thinks she’d be stupid enough to just go around chopping people’s heads off. What’s the point of being a leader if there’s no one around to lead? It would be quite illogical.

His answer is a little confusing. Her gaze narrows in thought as she continues to walk towards the boy. “The Ruins are what’s left of what we were before the bubble. As our population declined and shit got worse, we abandoned these places for farms, smaller houses…” A small shrug. “But that was over a century or so ago.” Pointing to a particularly ivy-covered big building, she explains further. “You can tell by the growth.” Drifting from the building to the muddy ground, her voice takes on a more skeptical tone.

“What do you think might be out here, when we all - well, most of us stay inside during LongNight?”
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver really knew nothing about the queen, so he had plenty of assumptions and worries about her. All he knew was that he really could've angered her during LongNight so he could only hope that she didn't recognize him from the whole Bastien incident.

The way she responded to him certainly didn't help to calm any worries he had about the situation. Of course a Queen would be suspicious and much smarter than him. The way she responded made Oliver question many of the things he was doing. Though, it was nice to hear a little bit about the Ruins. Part of him kind of wished that they could try and rebuild from the ruins, make things look prettier and not as run down. Maybe they could create something nice out of it.

"Well- I mean...I'm not sure really. I thought maybe people left stuff in the snow during DeepFrost. You know?" Gods damn did he feel intimidated as hell. He felt as though he were being interrogated...and he kind of was, in a way. Lets hope he doesn't fuck up and ruin his reputation with the Queen! "I don't know. Maybe some stuff to barter with in the markets...or maybe a knife? I don't know." Yeah, Oliver still didn't have an actual weapon. Whoops? Call it poor planning or him feeling too guilty to ask anyone for one.
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Wessex makes a bit of a ‘hmmm’ sound in the back of her throat. “That’s not something that usually happens. We don’t just leave what little stuff we have out and about. But by all means, feel free to keep looking.” His answers really make her think he just… doesn’t think. Or thinks they’re a terribly uncivilized bunch, prone to losing valuables or dropping things in the middle of winter.

She’ll judge the pants off the boy and then hand him a knife in the next breath, because that’s just the kind of complex conundrum that Wessex is: killer, judger, and altruistic self-defense teacher. Violence was her bread and butter in her previous life; you can’t just expect her to change everything just because she was offered a massive amount of responsibility. Which doesn’t help while she’s trying to prove everyone wrong.

Some things just can’t be talked out, not when everyone is racist and self-righteous and think they’re always right. They’ll figure it out eventually.  

“A knife?” she frowns at the idea that he may not have even the most basic of tools. She doesn't know where he lives, but if he did, she’d roll her eyes and tell him to ask Loren for one. There have got to be a shit ton of knives laying around the Manor. But as she doesn’t, Wessex sighs and abruptly kneels down to reach into the sides of her boots. After a hot second, she pulls out a medium-length knife and offers it hilt-first to the boy. “Here. Take this one.”
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Ah yes. He did indeed, fuck up. The intimidation he was currently feeling only increased, but now he also felt incredibly stupid. Of course he just had to mess up in front of the queen. Anyone else and they probably wouldn't have judged him so hard...or maybe he would've just ignored their judgement. Now he's forever be known as the idiot kid who doesn't understand how the Hollowed Grounds work. "Oh- sorry...I came during Deepfrost. So I didn't really know what things were like...I guess I just assumed wrong." Yeah, Oliver felt bad. And very, very stupid.

His mood was slightly brightened when he was surprised to see...Wessex reach into her boot? And pull out a knife? A very small part of him expected her to stab him. He mostly considered that she was going to show him her knife and tell him where he could go and get one, since obviously nobody would just leave one lying around. However, quite the opposite happened. No, he wasn't stabbed, instead she held the knife out to him.

The blonde's eyes widened as he glanced from her down to the knife. Cautiously, he reached forward and grasped the hilt of the knife. "Thank you..." Was this a test? If it wasn't then damn. She really was giving her a knife. The queen was actually giving him a knife.

"I...I guess I wont have to look around anymore...and I'll also need to figure out how to really use this...I had mostly been training with a staff before, but it really wasn't all that great nor was it really helpful."
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Just think about it. We’re not barbarians. Would you leave precious things outside?” Her head tilts to one side in a moment of semantic consideration. “Well, perhaps. But not in the ruins.” And that’s really all she has to say about that, not wanting to beat the kid down while still encouraging logical thought. Cause that’s what he is to her - a kid. And Wessex remembers very well how dumb she was at that age.

At least he has the good sense to take the knife and isn’t standing on some silly sense of Outlander honor or emotional hang ups. This is Caido and everyone needs a good knife, whether it’s to clean a carcass with, gut a fish, chop vegetables, or defend one’s self - a knife is necessary and she wouldn’t see this new kid die because he’s unarmed. This simple action - the giving of a knife - isn’t just for him, it’s for Wessex too. She’s created some goodwill between them, a personal experience that may be able to overcome any rumors he’s heard about her, because personal experience usually trumps hearsay every time.

“It’s nothing,” she says in an off-hand dismissal of his thanks. “I have plenty.”

Nodding at the agreement that staffs are difficult, Wessex continues, “Staffs are hard because you can use either end and the momentum of the weapon can be difficult to control if you’re not used to it. If you continue to practice, I’d suggest starting with twirls and defense before going into attacks.” But that’s just her. Was it that long ago that she’d started to train Melita, (and oh, how that’s fallen by the wayside) instructed Rory on proper knife technique? Her attention turns to the blade. “As for that,” she indicated with a nod, “Stick ‘em with the pointy end.”
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Wait, what? That's not what Oliver meant at all. "I wasn't calling you barbarians, not at all. I meant like, what if something slipped out of your pocket, you didn't notice until you got home, but then you couldn't find it because of the snow. That's all I meant, really." Oliver had clear memories of him sometimes finding small little things, pocket change or maybe a pocket knife, on the streets. It wasn't that people intentionally left them or didn't care about their rubbish, people simply made mistakes. Oliver didn't like being accused of calling these people barbarians. It's not what he meant in the slightest.

This slightly tampered his mood, making it hard for him to figure out how he viewed the Queen. One moment she was lecturing him and the next she was offering up a knife to him. She didn't ask for it back, so clearly he was meant to keep it. Was he just supposed to put it in his pocket? How was he supposed to avoid cutting himself on accident? "Yeah...I'm not really fast or elegant so it's hard for me to properly use the staff, but I'll try to work on being more defensive with it." He knew that he should try to be skilled in as many fields as possible, so he'd work on training more with the staff and to figure out how to use the knife a bit more.

"There's more to using a knife than stabbing people. I mean, you have to be able to stab the person in the first place, right? I'm not very fast or strong."
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
So he’s the sensitive type (she’d deliveredand listens in order to respond, not to learn, as he’d missed the point entirely. It wasn’t about looking for things - it was where he was doing it. Wessex has to refrain herself from rolling her eyes, having learned more than enough about him to know she would likely find him annoying. So in that way, he’s a typical Outlander. In lieu of a rebuttal that will undoubtedly just continue to rankle both parties, Wessex lets the topic fall in favor of something she’d much rather talk about: weapon work.

“Elegance only comes with practice. No one starts out that way.” Wessex didn’t, Melita didn’t - the number of bruises and times she’d hit herself on her head (or shin, knee, back - insert body part and she’d probably whacked herself with a staff there) are too many to count. To expect to be good right away is folly.

“That’s why you keep it sharpened… and you know where you should aim for, right?” she asks patiently. He seems to purposefully be putting barriers in place for himself, and Wessex can’t figure out why. Why say ’I’m not,’ when one could say ’I’m learning’ or ’I’m trying?’
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver was extremely sensitive and at times incredibly immature. However, Oliver would deny the first part, stating that he was far from being 'too sensitive' and that he was the right amount of being sensitive. He wouldn't understand what Wessex was trying to say, due to many different reasons. It wasn't Oliver's intentions to offend her, but sometimes he wasn't the best at conveying his thoughts nor at actually deciding what was a good action to take. He had a lot of room to grow and needed to recognize it fully.

She was right in that way, Oliver could agree with it. "Yeah...believe me, I know I really need to practice. I've only really used it once with another person and uh...it wasn't exactly the most successful of interactions." He held back a smile and laugh, remembering his times with James and how unproductive it was. "I know I compare myself to others and I also know that's a bad idea... so hey, maybe next time you see me I'll be using my staff elegantly and properly." There was a tinkle of hope in his voice as he spoke, showing his slight eagerness in him proving to her that he could learn: that he could do something great.

The questions posed to him didn't sound hard, but Oliver knew that she was most likely testing her. Glancing down at the knife, Oliver looked back at Wessex. He tried to speak as confidently as he could. "It depends on where you have access to and what you're trying to do...if you're trying to stop them, I'd say the arm or upper leg...and if you're trying to kill them..." Oliver's voice became quiet and he trailed off. It was obvious that this wasn't something Oliver liked to speak about. He didn't want that to ever happen, so maybe if he didn't speak about it, it'd never come to fruition.
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Well there you go, once is like… a toddler trying to walk.” Personally, she doubts the next time she sees him will be one where he displays a command of the weapon, but why tear the kid down? He could be useful in the future. “I would be impressed if that happened,” she says instead, giving him something to strive for (as if Wessex’s opinion held any sway in his world), rather than something to obsessively ruminate over at night.

After a moment of thought, the warrior-Queen steps into a combative stance, just to demonstrate something. She gestures to her own body, her arm and upper leg, and then indicates that he should mirror her stance. “Yep, good instinct.” Moving slowly to demonstrate, she takes a small step towards Oliver and extends an empty hand. “The abdomen does more damage, obviously, cause it’s where all your important organs are. You can stop a bleed, but you can’t always stop what’s going on internally. So that’s also why you keep your arms close in, and up, to protect your ribs. Got it?” A knife to the lungs or heart is deadly. There usually isn’t time to grab a healer. That’s only one use for a knife, of course. If he needs help cutting up raw meat, she probably isn’t the best one to demonstrate that.
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver wasn't sure if he liked being compared to a toddler, but he knew that she wasn't wrong. A faint smile crossed his lips as he responded with a bit of a joke. "Or someone trying to ice skate for the first time." That's something he felt as though he could compare it to. Walking was something that you just learned how to do, but ice skating was something that you would seek out. Sliding around, scrambling to grab your balance, and looking like a mess. That's how he felt with the staff.

There was a sense of doubt in her voice and Oliver shrugged. "Okay, maybe I wont be super elegant, but I'll hopefully be improved in...something. I'm training now, since I know I need to protect myself." Hell, he was lucky he had run into the Queen and not someone who had ill intentions for him. Oliver had yet to meet anyone with the intention of stealing or attacking him, but there was still some worry that he had. Surely, someone would do that to him. Surely, someone would hurt him without a second thought, this world couldn't be that perfect.

Watching the Queen, he was surprised to see her actually show an interest in teaching him. An awkward look appeared on his face as he proceeded to try and mimic the Queen's stance. It made sense when she explained it, but it'd be hard to remember the specifics. To keep his arms close in. It was a mistake he had done before when he was practicing, basically leaving all his vital organs open for anyone to attack.

"What if someone has me in a lock? Would I then go for whatever I can reach and hope for the best?"
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“What’s ice skating?” she asks with a brief look of confusion. Probably exactly what she thinks it is (in a way), but they don’t have that here. The only patch of ice large enough to do something like that would be in the Oasis, and it never really freezes, causes ~magic~.

In another time and place, she might have taken advantage of Oliver, perhaps just to teach the clueless Outlander that he needed to toughen up ASAP. But that possibility is neither here or there. “Well, look, if you really want to protect yourself, learn some simple knife stuff first. That’ll take care of the basics and keep seriously threatening people away. Then go back to the staff.” The threat of a knife is much greater than the threat of a piece of wood, and sometimes that’s all you need. A bump on the head is nothing compared to a knife in the belly.

This kid man, this kid.

Wessex sighs inwardly and shakes her head. There’s no brownie points for this kind of thing from the Voice, so it’s mostly for her own karma that she decides to continue on. “Try on me. I’ll put you in a light lock and you see what you can go for.” Stepping around to Oliver’s side, she reaches for his head and neck to put him in a headlock, being careful to maintain a low amount of pressure so that he can still breathe, but can’t necessarily move. “Now what?”