Personal Quest Rock Steady
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
He didn’t want to come back to the Spire after what had happened in the basement last time, but he couldn’t run from his ear forever, either. For better or worse he had been made a guardian of the portals and the current path to the portal within the Hollowed Grounds was an unsafe scramble over fallen rock, through a dangerously crumbling basement. If there was going to be trade between Halo and the Hollowed Grounds or any sort of regular passage the path would need to be properly cleared.

He had sent a note to Remi asking for the alchemist’s help, knowing that his fellow guardian had both magic and skills that would come in handy in such an endeavor. The white-haired lorekeeper had put the word out quietly to a few others he knew as well, including Deimos , with whom he so often traded assistance in such projects, and Loren , who had helped move the initial rubble so they could drop through to the other side. Word might filter out to others as well, though Jigano was looking for mages specifically who could move the task along more quickly than muscle alone could manage.

On the day itself he walked through a mid-morning spring cloudburst to the Spire, reaching it as the sun emerged to sparkle on the last of the raindrops. With his hair braided tightly back and wearing Rory’s cast-off work clothes he was a far cry from his usual dapper self, but he had brought a few tools – and a large bag of seeds at his belt. He decided to wait at the top to see who would arrive before they could all head down together, hopefully discussing how they would proceed once he knew what abilities they had to work with.

This is a PQ to remove the rubble in the Spire basement that makes it difficult to access the portal room. This is also an Abandoned-only PQ because woo, leveling requirements! There are three slots, but as long as we have at least two it will move forward in 48 hours.

1. Deimos
2. Loren
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
D e i m o s
Send a heartbeat to the void that cries through you
Relive the pictures that have come to pass
The Spire had its noose around nearly everyone for a multitude of reasons: failures, trials, tribulations, the scene of so many debacles, intrigues, and devastation – as if the Stygian obelisk orchestrated them all, its watchful, scathing tower concocting, deliberating, whatever Machiavellian tendencies enameled its way through its stone structure. It took and it gave, it slashed and it marred. He stared at it for a while, either glaring or a suspicious glance sent along turrets and remains; before sighing, ensuring his bag of holding, gathered supplies in its sanction, remained on his shoulder. Zuriel stayed outside, grazing, appearing completely inattentive, while he made his way up to the top.

He made no mention, once he reached its pinnacle and found Jigano, of how the basement had come to be even more rubbled, ruined, or mired; a level of indifference and reticence cast along his features. “Jigano,” he nodded, assembled, waiting to see whomever else had been summoned for their upcoming task.
For now we stand alone, the world is lost and blown
And we are flesh and blood disintegrate with no more to hate
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

loren
Loren had gotten the note. However, when the summoner arrived at the Spire, the other two men who were there might be surprised to discover that the man they’d known wasn’t showing up. Instead, a honey badger made its way towards the dark tower.

Halting in front of them, the Launceleyn looked at Deimos before Loren turned his gaze to the white-haired man. Jigano. There was a fierce undercurrent of frustration in the summoner’s thoughts, though it wasn’t directed at the bard. What happened with Wessex? And give me one good reason why I shouldn’t seal the portal and leave Zariah and the man who calls himself my twin and the leader of the cold shithole that is Halo trapped on the other side? The honey badger stalked forward, not at all worried about the response from the other two.
Never judge a book by its cover.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"Good morning, Deimos," he greeted the big man with a relieved nod, glad that the General had come to offer his skills with magic and past experience with shoring up unstable underground spaces. They had found a tentative neutrality in recent seasons that he far preferred to the doubts and sniping of the previous summer, and the spring before that, and he hoped that they would be able to maintain it going forward. Given how they both tended to be the helpful type they were likely to keep running into each other and it would be easier on everyone - especially their mutual acquaintances - if they could continue as they were now.

He was too quick to put his foot in his mouth to assume they'd ever manage friendship, but stranger things had happened. He and Remi had mended fences he had once thought forever burned, so perhaps all hope wasn't lost after all.

The honeybadger, though? That was unexpected, not least because Jigano had never seen one before and blinked at its swagging lope as it approached the Spire with obvious purpose. Loren's voice was possibly the last one he expected to hear rumble through the Attuned bond - though he hadn't been able to think of anyone he would have expected in that burly little body - and the bard, shot Deimos a startled glance before he gathered his wits and nodded to the Launceleyn man. "Ah... welcome, and congratulations, Loren. I should tell both of you what happened with Wessex," he nodded to the General as well, expression turning grim. "But... what are you talking about? Zariah and a twin? I never made it through the portal..." On account of a few things both of his colleagues should probably hear about, but for the moment he shook his head. "But let's talk as we head down. If we need to seal the portal we can come to that conclusion together, and in the meantime we can examine the basement for the weakest points. Whether we end up shoring them up or knocking them down will depend on the conclusions we come to, I guess."

They could talk and work at the same time, at least, with the Attuned bond making that easier. He led the way down the stairs, which were in fairly good shape, to the basement which definitely wasn't. The collapsed rubble remained in front of the portal, making it a dangerous, ankle-twisting scramble over a 10 foot tall - and twice that deep - pile of shifting rocks and debris to the steep drop just before the wreckage of the Ascended-puzzle door, which Jigano assumed remained open. It was hard to see from there, though. Loren's ice pillars had long since melted, but the walls remained intact, though cracked in a way that was concerning if people intended to start coming and going in more regular intervals.

Pick an area to examine and try to come up with ways to either strengthen or weaken it further, if it's something your character would care to share.

No posting order.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

loren
Jigano’s words halted Loren, but only momentarily. Thank you. There was more than a little bit of wonder and delight at his new form, even now. Then, though, the honey badger resumed his forward motion, although this time he descended into the depths of the Spire into the chamber where the rubble still blocked the door. His four feet were sure on the steps. Someone claiming to be my twin Neron is in charge of Halo, the land beyond the portal. The summoner was becoming more and more certain that it was actually his twin, and Loren was more and more unhappy about that fact.

Zariah is in Halo as well, and claims to now be the real power behind the throne. I have no reason to doubt her. She came to collect Beatrix and Jace, and disowned me and threatened to kill me in the process. A fierce anger accompanied the words, along with sorrow for the loss of the children. As he strode forward to examine the pile of rubble, his nostrils snuffling over the crumbled stone, he felt his anger blossom further. Neron was always lazy, but he's as cruel as most of my family. He's smart, though.

Poking at the rocks, with a paw designed for digging, Loren eventually turned to face the room. You already know I can clear the rubble with water or my summoning magic or support the walls with ice while others make more permanent repairs. Alternatively, I can erode the stone with water. So, your turn, Jigano. What happened with Wessex while I was gone? His eyes bored into the white-haired man.

Loren examines the pile of rubble and suggests using water magic to either clear the rubble, shore up the walls, or erode the stone.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
D e i m o s
The swagger of the honey badger’s appearance was slightly amusing, and only because he knew who it was before Loren’s tone spiraled into their minds – an inward snicker to have procured some knowledge before the bard. Thereafter though, any pretenses of amusement were set aside for the rest of the information – the portal opening, something about Wessex (again; seemingly more than just random occurrences now with Fae guardians), half concerned the summoner would seal the portal (because winter and mountains called; siren songs of cold and glaciers), and the other half curiously glancing back and forth between the two men. The Sword had missed out on a fair amount of dramatics, for once, and grew intrigued, pondering and wondering just how frustrating, agonizing, or ridiculous this was all going to turn out to be. In their movements, maneuvering back down the way they’d come, into debris and rubble again, he simply listened, acquiring wisdom and sagacity over events he’d managed to avoid. Most he’d already been granted by Loren earlier, catching over a new name, Neron, the notions of lazy, but smart and cruel – which meant Zariah’s and Neron's claws would likely be the ones they’d need to face.

The General, for his part, had naught to add except curiosity, blending that, and only that, for the time being, within the attuned fold. Thereafter, his eyes glanced and surveyed – capable of making and manifesting several things, depending on what they wanted to do. “Last time I was here,” where they’d obliterated and destroyed the plants, but also the walls, contributing to the initial debris and danger, “I created a pulley system to get rid of the larger rocks.” Deimos’ gaze sharpened to the world above, and off to the side, where they’d gathered the boulders, where they’d tried to scrape away the enamel crushing, pressing, and weighing down on Ashetta and Remi. It didn’t linger for long. “I can make supports, or scaffolds.” Whatever they thought might be necessary.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano smiled, understanding a little how Loren felt, if not as strongly. He had always been a shapeshifter from the day he’d been born, but gaining his second shift, the one with wings, had been a level of freedom even his previous teleportation couldn’t match. Unfortunately the smile quickly died as the Launceleyn man related his side of the story, noting the name and connection to a family that was infamous even on Caido now for its predilection for tyrants.

Mention of Zariah never led to anything good, and the bard’s frown deepened at hearing that she had been found – and in a position of power once more, it sounded like. ”I’m sorry to hear that,” he said quietly to the news that Loren had been disowned. For all that his opinions of the Launceleyns were tainted by Zariah and he had urged Loren to leave them, the other man had been adamant in reclaiming the name and turning it to something better. Having that name taken from him was a spiteful act from a selfish woman. ”I’m glad you’re still here.” He had no doubt that Zariah had meant her threats, but he’d also seen Loren capable of holding his own. It was more bad news to hear that Neron was another of the same cloth, and Jigano glanced to Deimos with a worried look.

Mountains might lie on the other side of the portal… but so, too, was drama of the sort no one needed in their lives.

Deimos was the rock in the flood, as always, and Jigano nodded gratefully to the bag man’s focus and suggestions as they looked over the task before them in the basement. ”Supports to brace the walls from further collapse, I think,” he said, offering a crooked smile to the General. ”You know how to stabilize unsteady stone and earth better than most.” Maybe better than anyone, though it might be a tie with Remi. ”Loren, can you start clearing the rubble using the magic you think best for the job?” The summoner knew his skills best, and what would be the most efficient use of his strengths. He’d done a good job of moving the rocks and debris before, though, and he was already familiar with the risks it might entail.

Jigano moved to those plants that had survived, laying his hands on one and humming softly to himself for a moment as he felt for how Remi had changed them from the towering, poison-spewing giants to something far humbler. He walked between the flora as he spoke, finding those places that withered or burned life had left unstable gaps, and he reached into the bag he’d brought to draw out a couple of large seeds to plant. White oak and walnut and a scattering of alfalfa in the areas where the most light penetrated from the opening left by Safrin’s descent, and he knelt to press his hands into the soil, reaching invisible fingers for the sparkling threads of his magic and plucking at them with increasing confidence as he drew inaudible notes from the green and brown of his earth magic and the gold of his healing magic to enrich the soil and help the plants grow to replace some of the stabilizing influence that had been lost.  ”As soon as you and Adam went through the portal, Wessex attacked me,” he said, voice flat with leashed bitterness at her swift betrayal. ”She has some sort of… of pulse or emanation that can hurt and disorient. She refused to even try and negotiate once you were gone. I tried dropping her into a small pit to cool down but…” He trailed off with a grimace, flickering a glance to Loren. ”She summoned some sort of giant and used it to try and kill me… and she did kill the snake with it, before I knocked it into the portal to dismiss it.” He looked away again, voice fading as he focused on the task before him. I was… angry at the serpent’s death. Enraged. I had shifted into something… new. To face the giant. And when she came bounding up out of the pit to try and bypass the guardian I lashed out at her. He paused for a moment and then shook his head, turning his face away from the others. The Voice appeared and… bound me. She gave Wessex some… light. Some new power, I think. A reward for her killing of more guardians. There was a growl through the shame and guilt, an anger and bitterness that he had been helpless while the murderer had not only gone free but been further empowered.

Exposition along with your PQ, who knew? You have your tasks, time to tackle them and see how effective they are!

No posting order.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren’s nostrils flared and he let out a little growl. I was expecting it. And where else would I be? With that the summoner trotted to the center of the room and shifted back. Raising both hands, water erupted from one and a bear formed in front of the other. The water carefully lifted rocks from the left end of the rubble while the bear took care of the stones on the right.

Unable to look at Jigano, since the Launceleyn was focused on his task, he tilted his head to listen. ”Shit.” He sank a lot of emotion into that single word. Sighing, Loren continued facing the rocks. ”She attacked you without provocation?" There was a quiet intensity in the summoner's voice. "What new power did she receive from the voice? And what new form?”

Loren clears rubble with both a summoned bear and water.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
D e i m o s
Ever the listener, a scholarly, but machinating technique, he applied himself with supports and wooden stabilizers, palms glowing as the beams manifested, unfolding, unfurling, uncoiling, to revel in prevention of collapse. Were it not for the portals, he might not have cared if the whole damn thing toppled down, for as much trouble, trials, and tribulations the Spire had caused them. They were the ones who kept returning though, as if it were a beacon, a siren song, for them to rally within or against; eyes narrowing briefly at plants as he meandered along them, somewhat bemused by the ones scorched, withered, or completely, utterly dead and withered.

He didn’t miss the way Jigano’s incantations seemed to mold either; part of the earth, loam, and soil, holding onto those means and measures too.

Then there were the other events spiraling from this particular ether: one more set of either disappointing or unsurprising ventures. Wessex attacking the bard (following through on other moments – like the battle with the Fae?), recalling the pulse of magic she had contained as well, having experienced it on the battlefield, meant to disorient, attack sanctions of the body. Perhaps that was who she was now – when seasons and cycles before, it’d been somewhat peaceful, more of a repose along Ascended quandaries. Now he didn’t know what was going on – after the blight, after the destruction of the Mathair, after the Wraith kept proving herself to be formidable, but cutting, slashing, a distinction between herself and her people. She’d apparently been over Jigano’s ministrations and tactics anyway, which the General could surmise as understandable at times, before the connection fizzled to attuned modes. The serpent’s death. His new shift, though no revelations haunted further on that subject. The Voice binding him, perhaps he was truly lucky it hadn’t been worse, and then Wessex with new gains, new onslaughts, new powers.

A reward for murder? For her goddess? For the portals and options she’d discussed with Amalia?

Or for something more?

He’d been silent through the entire saga, absorbing, taking in all the information, uncertain where to even go from here. They had the portal – but at what cost? They had the mountains, but what would come after? Zariah had already meandered back into their playing field. And what was it going to spell out for the rest of them? So now what? He offered instead, a quiet inquiry, because he didn’t know. He didn’t know what they were about to face or where to go from there.

--

Deimos creates some supports and wooden stabilizers.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
”Zariah doesn’t seem like the type to just let people walk away from her control,” Jigano said with a shrug to Loren’s question on where else he could be. There were plenty of possibilities for where the ex? Launceleyn man could be now, and none of them were particularly good. Luckily they hadn’t come to be, and there were newer Queens making their own problems to deal with. Zariah’s sins had the armor of distance, at least. Wessex’s were far more immediate, and Jigano stayed silent a moment as he focused on growing his seeds to help stabilize the foundations and strengthen the tower from below. No provocation, he agreed with a sigh. Unless trying to help the guardian regain its lucidity and talk to it counts as a provocation. She heard ‘no’ once and gave no other chance to talk. He glanced at Deimos, remembering seeing the big man in the Greatwood at her side when they had gone to speak to Delah. That’s probably what happened with the Fae guardians, too, he guessed. When they didn’t immediately agree to let her kill the Mathair. Speculation, but not without a basis in experience now. He grimaced, gaze flickering back to Loren. And no, she didn’t give me any warning, just launched an attack with that pulse and tried to strike me down while I was distracted with the serpent, as soon as you and Adam were gone.

The other questions were easier. He could only shrug to the first. I don’t know. It was a light… a blessing, I think. Something… almost like Ronin… He shook his head, too uncertain to know for sure when rage and fear had clouded his judgment while he lay bound. My new shape, though… Another shrug, this time carrying a bitter flavor through the Attuned bond. It should have been joyous and powerful, proud and strong, but his uselessness at protecting the serpent and how easily the Voice had subdued him robbed all sweetness from what should have been a moment of triumph. A dragon, for what little good I did.

Loren’s bear was surprisingly deft at moving stones. Maybe it was the creature’s strength or its ability to balance on its hind legs to move the stones away. Maybe it was Loren’s control over it, making sure it took the top stones first and placed them out of the way enough not to roll back. Whatever the reason, the bear worked efficiently and safely, and the pile of stones on the right began to visibly diminish faster than expected as it worked its way inwards.

The water was a little less focused, perhaps because of the topics of conversation or the amount of concentration it took to guide the bear so deftly. One of the stones he lifted with the water had been holding back a pile of rocks behind it, and as it was lifted away they came loose and tumbled towards the mage in a small cascade ranging from watermelon-sized chunks of debris to small pebbles.

Deimos’s beams grew from his magic, sturdy and at a steady pace but without hurry as they were placed to hold back further decay of the cracked and fragile walls. The first three were placed without problem, but as weight was taken off the damaged section closest to him it caused a shift in the pressures further down the wall, and a sharp crack echoed as a new fissure appeared, slowly expanding and threatening the stability of a ten-foot wide area that looked ready to crumble and collapse inwards, blocking the stairs out if it wasn’t addressed quickly.

A few hiccups on the path to progress, but nothing three strapping magic-users can’t handle… right?

No posting order!
Loren
Deimos
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren felt a growl building in his chest. Then he realized there was no reason to keep it in, and let it out. Then, though, stones were tumbling towards him and he watched them with a careful eye. His eyes widened, though, as he saw they headed right towards him.

However, he had multiple problems to deal with. A cracking sound echoed behind him and he turned and instinctively reached out with his ice. A pillar grew, similar to the ones that he’d used before, hopefully holding up the section long enough for Deimos to put a more permanent support in.

Simultaneously he raised a wall of ice between himself and the incoming rubble, though he also backtracked just to be safe. ”New power or no, she will answer for what she’s done.” There was a quiet certainty in his voice, and his expression was dark.

Loren attempts to create an ice pillar to shore up the damaged section while raising a wall of ice to protect himself from the rocks, while moving back.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
D e i m o s
No provocation, no incitement, no stoking except the inevitable grind of things unraveling and falling apart – listening and listening all the more, pondering the state of eventual moments. It would all combine and come to a head at some point, an ominous, foreboding beacon not unlike Zariah in ways. The Fae event had been disastrous, unwinding all of their hard work, and then there was the rest – a sigh funneled its way through his chest, a quiet, irritated rumble. As for blessings, something like Ronin, did that mean they’d be dealing with another demi-god? Ronin’s incantations, especially the spectral displays, had been helpful, not detrimental. He had no idea what Wessex was fully capable of now, if that was the case.

Jigano the dragon was an interesting notation, quirking his brow, lifting it as a show of inquiry – but then the bard didn’t seem ready to expand on it. So he let that sizzle off and away too, the finality of Loren’s words chiseling their way too. The beast had naught to add towards either, content to unleash and unravel his magic, absorbing the sagacity, the wisdom, and wondering where to put the means and measures all over again.

The rubble required his attention, concentration, and focus thereafter anyway; stones rumbling and tumbling, and he attempted to maneuver out of the way of their damned path. The beams were doing well until even their strength wasn’t quite enough; extending the incantations further and further with Loren’s assistance, placing more and more supports where the fissure had appeared.

--

Deimos tries to sidestep out of the stones' paths and creates more supports for the fissured area.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Loren's pillar was perhaps a little weaker than it should have been, given his distraction in splitting his magic to raise a shield as well. The shield was successful, rocks striking it and cracking the ice but being successfully deflected away.

The crack in the wall, however continued to grow as pressure was put on it, splitting slowly to the left and right of the ice pillar as it began to shake and debris fell from the remnants of the ceiling in an ominous rain of small, hard objects. Deimos's distraction with the rocks proved his undoing as the next beam he placed wasn't properly grounded and instead fell inwards, crashing down near the entrance to the basement and splintering as it added to the rumbling, cracking sounds of mayhem around them. It didn't land on anyone, though, and the stairs remained accessible for the time being.

The wall wasn't buckling yet, but it was coming close to it if it took much more damage. Jigano left off his work trying to strengthen the foundations and flung out a hand towards the cracking stone, attempting to use his earth magic to hold the weight of it back. Sweat sprung out on his brow as he strained his power to its new limits, but for the moment the crack stopped, holding firm as dust sifted down from above. I've got it... but not sure for how long, he sent through the Attuned bond, teeth gritted too hard to speak aloud. Deimos, can you get something more permanent up?

Loren's shield was an effective protection!
Loren's ice pillar slowed the damage but didn't stop it.
Deimos's support structure collapsed but didn't do further damage.
Jigano steadied the wall, but it won't last.

Deimos can try and put more supports in without distraction this time, or try another approach
Loren can continue to move rubble or improvise another solution

Posting Order:
1. Deimos
2. Loren
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Too many mages at once: their efforts were getting in the way. So, while Loren was worried about the entrance and the stairs, he had to trust that Deimos and Jigano could support the ceiling. The summoner went back to the rubble pile. His bear, idle until now, resumed its careful motions. Standing behind his ice wall, the Launceleyn went back to lifting stones with his water magic. This time, his motions were far more slow and steady; although he had the defense from his wall, he figured it was best not to risk it. Instead, he moved his arms, one hand directing the bear, the other directing the water.

Loren goes back to clearing rubble with his bear and his water magic.