On the Subject of Sin

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Sky Offline
Change author:
MP: 50
Ingrid
Ingrid pushed away her fears and ascended the palace steps, turning into a long, glassy corridor with vaulted ceilings and ornate reliefs on the walls. Yes, Lightning Bitch might kill her. It was more likely that Ingrid would be exiled, but she'd rather live in Whitebrim than serve a slimy heretic.

"Zariah," she barked, "Here's a question for you: what the hell? I heard you brought down the God-barrier with your magic. We can deal with bears and giants here, but the unholy shitstorm that was contained before you unleashed it? I don't know... The first war between the Old Gods and the new gods was apparently such a fucking disaster that people started writing dates in years post cataclysm!" She stomped a foot in frustration, and the sound of her snow boot on the glass floor echoing softly through the hallway.

"Y'know, for a moment, I actually thought you wanted to help protect Halo. What drove you to turn against our Gods?"

There was a chance her words were wasted, but Ingrid's gut said Zariah would appear.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Zariah
Zariah had been about to attend to a meeting regarding the plans for the magic school Neron had instructed her to build. But then her name was shouted through the hall, ringing brilliantly against the ice-like walls. Well. This was new. The Archmage turned to regard the woman, Ingrid it appeared, with a raised brow. She supposed she had done this to herself - she had invited her to bring issues to her attention...though she was being incredibly rude. Fingers twitched, wishing to reign down fiery hell upon the priestess, since she had asked about it.

Smile, Zariah. People are watching.

It was true, too. Maids and other palace attendants paused in their work to stare, wide-eyed as Ingrid shouted at the Archmage - the mysterious woman who had appeared in the Fangs and rose to great power over night at the behest of their Warden. The Priestess was apparently far braver than any might've suspected.

"My, this is an interesting way to greet someone. I was under the distinct impression that it was customary to say 'hello' in Halo, at the very least, upon greeting someone." she said, a fake tone of shock in her voice as she examined her pointed nails, painted a deep maroon. "And to clarify, that was three questions and multiple statements, none of which I asked for." she said, almost dismissively, pointing out the fault in the structure of her opening statement. It was pedantic, but it did make for a sorry arguement. She would've preferred to discuss this in private, but now there was an audience and wild accusations flying. Such a bother. Oh well. She'd deal with it here.

"Moreover, your source of information is inaccurate - though I would be most interested in know what and who that source is." she said, finally dropping her hand to regard the other woman. Her hazel gaze was steady, doll-like face pristine porcelain and devoid of emotion. Clearly she was unshaken by these accusations. "I was indeed one of many people who entered the Spire the day the barrier fell. I did contribute insofar as offering to sacrifice myself to open the door that led to where some aspect of the Voice was contained - a sacrifice, I might add, I was blessed for by Mort." She paused there, letting the implication hang in the room. As upset as Ingrid was, one of the high three gods had blessed her for her actions...so how wrong could it have been really?

"However, that sacrifice did not actually bring down the barrier. Ultimately an Ascended named....103? 152? Some ridiculous number, interacted with a device that destroyed the barrier, and the Number-Named Ascended." she said, crossing her arms and tilting her head as she regarded Ingrid.

"So, perhaps, because I am quite interested in your perspective, just how I have so greviously turned against the Old Gods when I have been blessed by them?"
Beautiful like a forest fire

Coding base by Sky/Odd!

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Ingrid
"And to clarify, that was three questions and multiple statements, none of which I asked for."

Ingrid's mouth fell open, and she gave an eye roll that would have made a teenage girl jealous. (Really, her eyes came this close to falling out of her skull and hitting the floor like wet hard-boiled eggs.) She was liking this bitch less with each twisted sentence, until:

"...a sacrifice, I might add, I was blessed for by Mort."

Ingrid's opinion of Zariah changed instantly, as did the color of her now-blushing face. She felt awkward and stupid as fuck, because it wasn't like the councilwoman would be dumb enough to lie about a God's blessing to a priestess. The rest of what Zariah was saying didn't even matter.

"Forgive me," she blurted. "the Gods never told me they wanted the barrier gone." Maybe because I never bothered asking, she added silently. "I knew about the ascended that blew itself up, but I heard from the Loreseekers that you led the charge and... I- I didn't know you'd received a blessing from the Old Ones. I was way the fuck out of line," she continued, grasping for something to say to make this right. Because fuck, she'd just yelled at one of the Old Gods' blessed children. Ingrid sighed. "But damn, why didn't you lead with that, Lightning Bitch?" she asked. It wasn't an insult; it was an olive branch. "Archmage" was a thin and barely-earned respect, a respect for the title and the rules and the governing party. But with "Lightning Bitch," Ingrid's tone carried all her newfound appreciation for the Mort-blessed, bolt-flinging badass.

"I will make this up to you. What needs to happen for you to move forward with your plans for the Citadel?"
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Zariah
”Forgive you? For bursting in here and causing a scene with frankly wildly disturbing accusations because someone gave me a bad reference?” she said, arching a brow, having not decided yet how offended she was or was not. ”I am not so certain that the gods wanted the barrier gone as it was reward for being willing to sacrifice myself for my people.” she said with a bit of a shrug. ”Though there was no intervention by Safrin, Ludo, or Frey, and I presume that if they wished for the barrier to be up so badly, they would have stopped us.” she said, pointing out yet another flaw in the priestess’s logic.

Then at the mention of her source, Zariah actually laughed, outright, a single, cold, guffaw at her words. ”The Loreseekers told you this? Oh please, don’t tell me you believed those two-faced fools at face value.” she said, tsking the priestess for her foolishness. ”The Loreseekers would do anything to turn people against me. They were most opposed to my rule in the Hollowed Grounds because they could not handle leadership from outside their little clique of know-it-alls. I am certain they are still displeased with me for nearly shutting them down for failing to comply with the law.” she said with a sniff, before smirking at Ingrid.

”Oh, and it seems they failed to mention to you that the majority of their members also entered the Spire the day it was breached, including their beloved leader Jigano, each playing a role in the inevitable fall of the barrier.” The Archmage paused, letting that bit of information process. ”And to clarify, I didn’t lead anything. Not on purpose. But when you’ve an air of command as I do, people tend to naturally fall in line. If they hadn’t, they would have been killed by various golems and such.” she said with a slight shrug.

She nodded finally at Ingrid’s words, eventually finding something she could agree with. ”Indeed you were out of line.

”But damn, why didn’t you lead with that Lightning Bitch?”

Zariah blinked, caught by surprise by that. Slowly, she grinned, and that grin slowly turned into a quiet laugh, which slowly built into a mirthful, but unsettling cackle that echoed through the corridor. ”Lightning Bitch. I’ll have to tell Neron that one, he’ll find it amusing.” she said finally, laughter suffusing the undertone of her words. ”You’re funny, so I suppose I shall forgive you after all. As for your question – why would I? I am not here to be praised for blessings, I am here to earn praise for strengthening Halo into a force so mighty it would make the blizzards of the tundra quake with fear.” she said shrugging slightly.

And what did she need? Well, well, what a lovely turn of events. ”Why don’t you join me in my office, and I can show you my plans?” she said.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!

Change author:
Ingrid

She nodded, but her eyes narrowed. You'd sacrifice yourself for "your people." You mean the same people you called whiny weaklings? Ingrid asked silently. But for once in her life, her opinions didn't reach her tongue, because she didn't want to piss Zariah off more. The lady was blessed by Mort, after all, and level 7.

When Ingrid mentioned Loreseekers, it sent Zariah on a tirade, but all Ingrid could think was: Gods, she laughs like a fucking seagull. Then the mage said something that snatched up her attention.

”...the majority of their members also entered the Spire the day it was breached, including their beloved leader Jigano, each playing a role in the inevitable fall of the barrier.”

As the words spilled from Zariah's lips, they grew from a trickle to a torrent. Splashing syllables filled her up until waves of doubt broke against the walls of Ingrid's skull and threatened to jump newly-constructed levees of trust. Then she remembered his kindness: gifts and knowledge and laughter. He'd spoken well of Safrin, hadn't he? It was enough to avert the flood, and so Ingrid said nothing, her waters calm once more.

By the time Zariah finished scolding her, the jab at the Loreseekers was forgotten (at least for the time being). Ingrid resumed her usual half-baked humor. She doubted any of her jokes would land with the current audience, but Zariah proved unpredictable! This time, the archmage's laugh was human, accompanied by a smile that reached her eyes. Lightning Bitch it is, she thought.

"Alright, lead the way. I'd love to hear about how you plan on making blizzards shit their pants."

Feel free to just move them to the office if you want!

"Shrine Ho"
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah
Zariah was glad that something of what she had said had at least stuck with Ingrid, enough that now she was amenable to discussing her plans, rather than berating her over things she didn’t do. Moreover, berating her over things that many other people had also participated in. Perhaps next time the priestess saw the Loreseeker Provost, she might give him a piece of her mind too.

Turning on her heel, the Archmage led the Priestess through a series of passageways to an office of sorts. A roaring fire was ablaze in on one wall, a few bookshelves, and a desk with chairs were all that adorned it. Simple, but purpose suited, just like most places in Halo. Zariah sat on one side of the desk, gesturing for Ingrid to sit as well. ”To be frank, I simply need more support, as well as interest from Abandoneds here in the Citadel. What is a school with no one to teach.” she said, reaching for a decanter of mulled wine to pour herself a glass, raising a brow at Ingrid to see if she wished for one as well.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!

Change author:
Ingrid

Ingrid followed Zariah to the office, the whuff of soft snow boots echoing the clicking of Zariah's heels. As she turned into the little room, Ingrid had to tear her eyes away from the bookshelves. If this goes well, there's a chance you can come back and look at the books later, she told herself, focusing back on Lightning Bitch.

"To be frank, I simply need more support, as well as interest from Abandoneds here in the Citadel. What is a school with no one to teach?”

She mulled over the mage's dilemma, having gladly accepted the wine because honestly, when doesn't Ingrid say yes to booze? It seemed like Zariah's issue was that all the Abandoned were too fucking stuck up to admit they needed schooling — Ingrid couldn't remember one who didn't talk about the strength of their magic like it was the size of their dick. It was almost as if they were literally required to find another Abandoned and whip it out for comparison's sake. "Have you considered mage glass? As far as I can tell, that's the main fuckin' reason the Abandoned come to Halo. If you have extra, you could offer it as a prize to the top student. I bet you'd have mages clamoring to take lessons... I could help you spread the word." (This was Zariah Launceleyn she was talking to. If anyone had mage glass to spare, Ingrid figured it'd be her.)

"Shrine Ho"
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah
Zariah quirked a brow at the Priestess’ solution. Use mageglass as a bribe? Really? She couldn’t help it as a low chuckle built up, escaping her perfectly red colored lips. Slowly she shook her head. ”If I had access to enough mageglass to bribe people with, I would indeed find much better uses for it.” Namely, hording it for her and Neron of course. Wait until she told him of this proposition – he would likely be equal parts appalled and amused.

She sipped her wine then thrummed her pointed nails against the glass lightly. ”No, I am afraid I shall have to come by support and students by more mundane means.” she said.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!

Change author:
Ingrid

Ingrid shrugged. So the archmage of the one and only mage glass exporter has... no mage glass? Bullshit. She was dubious, but she'd still try to come up with with plan less reliant on baiting the abandoned with OP items... Annndddd she proceeded to fail miserably.

"I don't know what the fuck else the abandoneds who come here want. A lot of them are fortune-seekers instead of permanent residents as far as I can tell. Not you though," she said with a laugh. "But the people's support is at least simpler, assuming you have the budget: get them warm and feed them. You can call it an official meet-the-archmage banquet or something. Have meat that's, y'know, not cooked on a fucking stick, and you can serve it with a side of almost any plant that doesn't grow here. You could probably feed them straight onions. It helps that you can pack the entire population of Snowcloak into a big enough room... I don't suppose the palace has a room like that?"

Ingrid put her head on her hands, thinking it over some more. "I could probably help procure the meat. I fish, and I could help with the cooking, too. Plus, there are a couple hunters who owe me some favors." (read: they lost to her at beer pong.)

"Shrine Ho"
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah
Zariah tilted her head in contemplation, considering Ingrid's words as her sharpened nails thrumed against her wine goblet. The tinkling noise rang out clearly in the mostly bare room, the Archmage's hazel eyes glowing in the firelight she stared at. "Oh yes, there is such a gathering place, though it is usually reserved for protection of the people during the worst of the blizzards." she said softly, eyes narrowing a bit as she began to formulate a plan.

"Anything too large might be easily percieved as frivolous and uncouth, given the general need for survival amongst the general populace. However..." she hummed quietly. Still considering. Still planning. She would not jump into this too quickly, not now that both she and Neron would be affected by her actions. "It also does not do to keep people so ingrained in that mindset. It does not promote growth...I will speak with the Warden and see what we can do. I'm certain something is possible." she said with a light nod.

"Perhaps, in the meantime, you would be willing to simply spread good word throughout the people?"

Coding base by Sky/Odd!

Change author:
Ingrid

Ingrid didn't mind the sound of Zariah's nails on the crystal. It was kind of pretty, really, and it made for an interesting contrast to the mage's low, honey-flavored voice while she spoke.

"I will speak with the Warden and see what we can do. I'm certain something is possible."

"Well that sounds like one hell of a plan to me," she said, crossing one leg over the other and leaning back in her chair. "I'll save the date. I wanna be in the audience when you play to win the hearts of the heathens." (Heathens, much like Lightning Bitch, was definitely no insult.)

"Perhaps, in the meantime, you would be willing to simply spread good word throughout the people?"

"How about I spread the word that our new archmage received Mort's blessing? I think that'll do just fine," she replied with a smirk. Ingrid could see her speech now: "Here ye here ye, turns out the Launceleyn mage is blessed by Mort, and, remarkably, she can tell her head from her ass unlike SOME people. Oh, and she's gonna feed you. Vote Z!"

"Shrine Ho"
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah
Zariah chuckled, a low, smooth sound that had a slight echo in the quite bare room - a true contrast to the tinkling of the crystal beneath her blood-red nails. "Well, given the people of Halo have sense, I should think it not be so impossible a task." she said with a slight shrug. Unlike the Grounders, who held tradition above all else, the people of Halo held survival above all else. If someone had a way to make that easier, then great. Simple enough.

"I trust you to use your judgement in what will win the people over best." the Archmage said with a nod, lifting her glass to her lips to sip the warm mulled wine. As far as Zariah was concerned, the conversation was over. Ingrid had her marching orders, and Zariah had defended her good name.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!

Change author:
Ingrid

Ingrid grinned. "Not impossible at all."

She was glad that Zariah wouldn't be giving her a script: while Ingrid wanted to make up for yelling at the archmage, she would still refuse to let anyone else put words in her mouth. Zariah's last words left a sense of finality, so Ingrid stood up and put her goblet on the table. "Thanks for the wine, by the way," she said, taking a few steps towards the door.

"Later, Lightning Bitch."

And with that the priestess turned the corner and headed back towards the Palace entrance, finding herself soon back out in the snow.

What... just happened?

She'd walked into the palace with the intention of yelling at the archmage, expecting at least a small lightning zap. Instead, she'd shared a drink with Zariah, and she was walking out with the intention of helping her. Ingrid could see why the woman inspired ire, but damn, she was good.

I'll have to ask one of Mort's servants about her, she reminded herself as she headed off towards her little home in SnowCloak.

-Fin- (I think)

"Shrine Ho"